Is augmented 326 PvP gear strong enough to be competitive in Ranked Warzones?

Loadsamonie

Or does 330 gear from raiding still beat it out?

My time playing is spent mostly on a combination of Unranked Warzones and GSF, with downtime filled on heroic quests. Odds are I'm not going to do much raiding when I hit 80 on my new toon, so 326 PvP gear is likely the best I'm looking at, until/unless it gets increased in 7.1.

Is 326 PvP gear able to hold its own against 330 Operations Gear (Rakata)? Is it worth augmenting?

Edited by Loadsamonie

Augments dont work in pvp. 330 gear is squished to 326 inside of pvp instances.

In operations the difference is around 2-3K dps.

So 326 is fine? I plan to get cheap i286 augments for them anyway for PvE content, just don't feel like spending a fortune on i300s.

End game goal is full i326 PvP w/ i286 augments to boost it outside of Warzones.

Depends on what your parsing the gear at 326 is enough even for NIM Raiding. The class matters almost more then gear right now due to imbalance.

If you can parse over 25k you will be more then fine in any content. Right now Mercs and Carnage are having trouble hitting 25k parse. Without getting extremely good RNG.

Edited by TmoneyTime

Depends on what your parsing the gear at 326 is enough even for NIM Raiding. The class matters almost more then gear right now due to imbalance.

If you can parse over 25k you will be more then fine in any content. Right now Mercs and Carnage are having trouble hitting 25k parse. Without getting extremely good RNG.

Tank is my main spec. Defense Guardian.

Tanking in pvp is different, You will need two sets of gear. One for operations one for PVP.

PVP all the tank stats are useless beside endurance, so you have to wear dps gear. Also know as a skank Tank. Actual tanking gear in pvp provides very little.

In operations you will want actual tank gear, but if things are easy you can always swap to dps gear and skank tank those as well. SM and HM can easily be done by skank tank gear. NIM is really the only content you need actual tank gear for.

Edited by TmoneyTime

Tanking in pvp is different, You will need two sets of gear. One for operations one for PVP.

PVP all the tank stats are useless beside endurance, so you have to wear dps gear. Also know as a skank Tank. Actual tanking gear in pvp provides very little.

In operations you will want actual tank gear, but if things are easy you can always swap to dps gear and skank tank those as well. SM and HM can easily be done by skank tank gear. NIM is really the only content you need actual tank gear for.

Tank gear is still worthless? I thought Defense and Shielding were changed back in 5.0? Defense is supposed to work against Force/Tech damage now, and Shield is supposed to work against Crits now.

How much of my gear do I want to be DPS in PvP then? Like I said, I figured I'd go Tank Weapon/Shield, Tank Implants and Earpiece, and then all DPS armor and Relics (cause DPS Relics have Endurance, and I want to stack HP).

Edited by Loadsamonie

Tank gear is still worthless? I thought Defense and Shielding were changed back in 5.0? Defense is supposed to work against Force/Tech damage now, and Shield is supposed to work against Crits now.

How much of my gear do I want to be DPS in PvP then? Like I said, I figured I'd go Tank Weapon/Shield, Tank Implants and Earpiece, and then all DPS armor and Relics (cause DPS Relics have Endurance, and I want to stack HP).

Its still not that good. The best way to play the spec is like a dps with a shield. The mitigation is now where near worth loosing all the dps.

Its like giving up 70% of your damage for 20% more tankyness.

Its still not that good. The best way to play the spec is like a dps with a shield. The mitigation is now where near worth loosing all the dps.

Its like giving up 70% of your damage for 20% more tankyness.

So Tank Weapon/Shield, Tank Earpiece/Implants for the Set Bonus, appropriate Tactical, then all DPS Armor and Relics (Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution)? That's a good balance of DPS and Tank stats?

Edited by Loadsamonie

Or does 330 gear from raiding still beat it out?

My time playing is spent mostly on a combination of Unranked Warzones and GSF, with downtime filled on heroic quests. Odds are I'm not going to do much raiding when I hit 80 on my new toon, so 326 PvP gear is likely the best I'm looking at, until/unless it gets increased in 7.1.

Is 326 PvP gear able to hold its own against 330 Operations Gear (Rakata)? Is it worth augmenting?

There is more to ranked pvp than just hitting stuff and having correct gear. Such knowing what games would be good for you to stall as a jugg or pt and games where there isn't a point of stalling. Learning DCD timing is also pretty major as well. There's quite a few more things to add but septru made a post about this on pvp forums and it's stickied on.

Edited by Xerekfell

There is more to ranked pvp than just hitting stuff and having correct gear. Such knowing what games would be good for you to stall as a jugg or pt and games where there isn't a point of stalling. Learning DCD timing is also pretty major as well. There's quite a few more things to add but septru made a post about this on pvp forums and it's stickied on.

Okay, but gear does matter to a degree, and nobody has still clarified to me exactly what the right balance of Tank vs DPS gear is appropriate for a Tank in Warzones, specifically a Defense Guardian.

The shield is non negotiable because I can't block attacks without it, but how much of my other gear, if any, do I want to be Tank and not DPS? I know I want both DPS Relics since they have Endurance anyway, and at least 1 DPS Legendary Implant since Fearless Victor is more or less a permanent 10% damage boost that's virtually in effect at all times. I don't know which one is better for the second Implant, the Tank Implant Force Resistance which is 3% Damage Reduction across the board, or the DPS Implant Champions Precision which is 20% Crit for 8 seconds after activating Threatening Focus.

Do I really just take the Shield as my only Tank item, and EVERYTHING ELSE is DPS gear? Is that really the optimal play for a PvP Tank?

My gut tells me Force Resistance is better than Champion's Precision since it's always in effect, and the way Damage Reduction stacks makes it more effective than 3% would suggest.

Edited by Loadsamonie

Do I really just take the Shield as my only Tank item, and EVERYTHING ELSE is DPS gear? Is that really the optimal play for a PvP Tank?

Yes. This is the way.

So no Force Resistance Implant then? Fearless Victor and Champion's Precision Implants, along with Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution Relics?

So no Force Resistance Implant then? Fearless Victor and Champion's Precision Implants, along with Serendipitous Assault and Focused Retribution Relics?

Correct. Champion's precision is really strong.

Correct. Champion's precision is really strong.

Alright. Hope I don't have to constantly swap to Vigilance spec before opening gear boxes to get upgrades.

And I know augments aren't functioning now, but when they are fixed, what are the ideal augments for a PvP Tank? Versatile for Endurance/Power/Mastery I'm guessing?

Edited by Loadsamonie

Alright. Hope I don't have to constantly swap to Vigilance spec before opening gear boxes to get upgrades.

And I know augments aren't functioning now, but when they are fixed, what are the ideal augments for a PvP Tank? Versatile for Endurance/Power/Mastery I'm guessing?

You don't have to swap specs for gear boxes, just have to make sure your loot discipline is set.

Ideal augs are crit until 4.5k and then rest into mastery. Assuming you have 1.4 gcd (2054), if not then swap some for alac until 2054 or get some more alac main pieces. All augments have endurance.

Edited by joshrva

You don't have to swap specs for gear boxes, just have to make sure your loot discipline is set.

Ideal augs are crit until 4.5k and then rest into mastery. Assuming you have 1.4 gcd (2054), if not then swap some for alac until 2054 or get some more alac main pieces. All augments have endurance.

How do I set my Loot Discipline? Is it something I can only do at Level 80? Because this character is only 54 at the moment.

So ideally wait until I have full i326 PvP DPS gear, see what my Crit/Alacrity stats are, then augment accordingly?

How do I set my Loot Discipline? Is it something I can only do at Level 80? Because this character is only 54 at the moment.

So ideally wait until I have full i326 PvP DPS gear, see what my Crit/Alacrity stats are, then augment accordingly?

You should be able to set your loot discipline below level 80. Right-click on your character frame and there should be a loot discipline option near the middle.

Since champion's precision and fearless victor are both crit implants and you will be using a shield (normally a dps offhand gives alac), you'll need 4 alac pieces to hit 1.4 gcd. This can include earpiece or main gear (headpiece, chestpiece, etc.). Since you're a juggernaut I would recommend those 4 alac pieces being head and chest from the pummeler set (jugg dps) and either legs and feet from force-lord (sorc dps) or gloves and legs from force healer (sorc healer). Or if you don't have those specs but you do have another class then lmk and I'll tell you what you need from those classes. After this you'll be left with 2660 crit at 326, so even with full crit augs you still won't hit 4500 (you'll have ~4100) so you'll want all crit augs. Alternatively, you can replace an alac main piece with a crit main piece in exchange for 5 purple alac augments - you can do this up to 3 times.

Sry if this is confusing, feel free to ask more questions bc I probably didn't explain this well.

Edited by joshrva

You should be able to set your loot discipline below level 80. Right-click on your character frame and there should be a loot discipline option near the middle.

Since champion's precision and fearless victor are both crit implants and you will be using a shield (normally a dps offhand gives alac), you'll need 4 alac pieces to hit 1.4 gcd. This can include earpiece or main gear (headpiece, chestpiece, etc.). Since you're a juggernaut I would recommend those 4 alac pieces being head and chest from the pummeler set (jugg dps) and either legs and feet from force-lord (sorc dps) or gloves and legs from force healer (sorc healer). Or if you don't have those specs but you do have another class then lmk and I'll tell you what you need from those classes. After this you'll be left with 2660 crit at 326, so with full crit augs you still won't hit 4500 (you'll have ~4100) so you'll want all crit augs. Alternatively, you can replace an alac piece with crit and swap 4 crit augments for 4 alac augments - you can do this up to 3 times but past 2 times you'll need additional alac augs bc 4 alac augs are slightly less than a alac main piece.

Sry if this is confusing, feel free to ask more questions bc I probably didn't explain this well.

All I really know is the only thing I don't want is Accuracy. How I go about getting cross-spec gear as a Defense/Vigilance Guardian...yeah, not at all clear on that.

And yeah, there's no option for Loot Discipline when I right-click my characters portrait window on the UI. All I see is Toggle PvP Focus and Mission Difficulty Preference.

If it matters, my main crew skill is Biochem, and I have all my level 75 legendary reusables already banked and waiting: Mk-2 Advanced Kryprax Medpac, Attack/Shield Adrenals, and Fortitude/Versatile Stims.

Edited by Loadsamonie

All I really know is the only thing I don't want is Accuracy. How I go about getting cross-spec gear as a Defense/Vigilance Guardian...yeah, not at all clear on that.

And yeah, there's no option for Loot Discipline when I right-click my characters portrait window on the UI. All I see is Toggle PvP Focus and Mission Difficulty Preference.

If it matters, my main crew skill is Biochem, and I have all my level 75 legendary reusables already banked and waiting: Advanced Kryprax Medpac, Attack/Shield Adrenals, and Fortitude/Versatile Stims.

Strange, I just made a new character and I can confirm loot discipline isn't there. Must be a bug because you could set your loot discipline at level 1 in 6.0.

Biochem is what you want for pve for the reusable adrenals and medpacs, but you can't use those in pvp so it doesn't really matter although the reusable stims are nice. You'll want to use versatile stims.

Tank stats do not work in pvp. Use a tank offhand so that you can have a ability to shield, but don't use any other tank stats. DPS stats to increase your damage will be more helpful to your team than tank stats that don't work well.

With all of that said..... skill matters so much more than gear. If you're new, read/watch guides. I made a post earlier about how to get ready which is stickied in this section: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=995908. Also look up tanking guides on youtube, twitch, and google. Learn to guardswap and you can compensate for any bad gear.

Tank stats do not work in pvp. Use a tank offhand so that you can have a ability to shield, but don't use any other tank stats. DPS stats to increase your damage will be more helpful to your team than tank stats that don't work well.

With all of that said..... skill matters so much more than gear. If you're new, read/watch guides. I made a post earlier about how to get ready which is stickied in this section: https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=995908. Also look up tanking guides on youtube, twitch, and google. Learn to guardswap and you can compensate for any bad gear.

Correction, Tank stats prior to a specific patch did not work in PvP. Defense did not work against Yellow damage, and Shield did not work against Crits.

Now they do.

Correction, Tank stats prior to a specific patch did not work in PvP. Defense did not work against Yellow damage, and Shield did not work against Crits.

Now they do.

no... it doesn't

ok fair, defense does work against FT damage, but you do not gain any FT defense through gear.

no... it doesn't

ok fair, defense does work against FT damage, but you do not gain any FT defense through gear.

It was changed some time in 5.0 or possibly even 6.0 but Defense was modified to work against both white and yellow damage, so anything Force/Tech that wasn't AoE can now be mitigated through Defense.

Shield did work against Force/Tech in older versions, but not Crits, which a lot of builds revolved around auto-crits. Shield works against Crits now.

I really cba to test the stuff with crits so you might be right there.

But defense GEAR does not increase your FT defense chance, only defensive cooldowns do. You can check by opening the character sheet... You can resist FT hits yes, but you don't resist them because you use defense gear. This is 100% true without the shadow a doubt literally confirmable in seconds.

Also I do think that Prum is correct, just because he is Prum. Even if you dislike him his game knowledge PvP wise is huge, if he says you can't I'll believe him until I see prove that is convincing.

Edited by ZUHFB