Question about augments

stompscratch

I've decided to just stick with 276 and < augments on my toons due to the ridiculously insane cost of mats for the 300 ilvl augments.

I have a few questions. How do the augment slots work? If I make the augmentation kit MK-11 can I attach a MK-10 augmentation to it. If yes, what if I upgrade to a higher augmentation? Do I have to replace the Augmentation kit, or will it stay? Thanks.

I've decided to just stick with 276 and < augments on my toons due to the ridiculously insane cost of mats for the 300 ilvl augments.

Lots of people are with you on that.

I have a few questions. How do the augment slots work? If I make the augmentation kit MK-11 can I attach a MK-10 augmentation to it. If yes, what if I upgrade to a higher augmentation? Do I have to replace the Augmentation kit, or will it stay? Thanks.

Once installed, the Augmentation kit works much the same as the slots for Armorings, Barrels, Enhancements, Hilts and Mods, except for the rule about the *maximum* augmentation that you can put in it. So yes, you can pull, push, overwrite, whatever your augments with new ones, just as you can with the other types.

The "maximum" rule is that the MK number of the installed kit is the *maximum* MK number you can install in it. If you install an MK-8, you can freely exchange any augment of MK-1 to MK-8, going up or down, without problem. To install an MK-9, MK-10 or MK-11 in that gear piece, you must first replace the augment kit with one that's equal to or higher than the new augment.

So to answer your specific question, if you have an MK-11 kit and you put an MK-10 augment in the slot, you can freely pull-and-replace or overwrite that MK-10 augment with an MK-11 with no problem.

General advice: don't bother with augments at all below max-level gear, and don't bother installing any kit lower than MK-11.

General advice:

‏‏‎

- Use augments only on characters with whom you plan to do challenging group content: Ops, MM FPs and Uprisings. Even SoV Solo or Story can be done without augments.

‏‏‎

- Use augments only on 306, set bonus gear

‏‏‎

- Use 228 augments and mk-10 kits or 286 augments and mk-11 kits (the in-between ones cheat you out of a little tertiary stat which is useful; they give you primary and secondary stats which are useless in most content). 286 augments and mk-11 kits will cost around 100 million depending on the GTN prices.

‏‏‎

- optimize the enhancements (incl. the 3 top-left pieces), and augments as a group on paper (or Excel) before buying. Do you want your PvE set to morph into a PvP set with minimal switching of pieces - think about that.

Edited by mike_carton