heroics

DarkJediMage

i am a returning player after 4 years of being off. my swtor lvl 60 and lvl 65+ kotfe geared toons with healer companions with swtor companion high influence levels used to solo heroics. now, i cannot solo heroics.

1. did ea/bio nerf the companions?

2. has the customized look slot tabs have been converted to gear stats build slot template tabs?

3. do the companions need gear with stats?

4. is the kofte companion rank system messing up the swtor companion influence system?

4a. if yes, what rank can solo heroics?

Edited by DarkJediMage

1. Not recently

2. No

3. No

4. What is "kofte companion rank system?" There is "swtor companion influence system" and it hasn't changed recently.

Curious: What Heroic are you finding challenging?

4. it was the upgraded version of the swtor companion influence system that came with kotfe, knights of the fallen empire expansion. it is based on ranks that on lvl 60+ influence items from heroics, flashpoints and ops rewards as well as story choice influences. bottom line is ea/bio made the influence system into a playing trendmill to gain the influence ranks.

the problems i am having are soloing lvl 30+ heroic +2s.

Edited by DarkJediMage

4. it was the upgraded version of the swtor companion influence system that came with kotfe, knights of the fallen empire expansion. it is based on ranks that on lvl 60+ influence items from heroics, flashpoints and ops rewards as well as story choice influences.

It isn't based on that at all. It's based on acquiring Influence points from wherever you can:

* Companion gifts bought from companion gift vendors.

* Companion gifts acquired from Crew Skill Missions.

* Running Crew Skill Missions.

* Using companion gifts acquired any other way you can (GTN, Alliance crates, gifted to you by guildies, whatever).

* Getting approved of or mildly dissed by the companion in a conversation.

* Using a Commander's Compendium.

bottom line is ea/bio made the influence system into a playing trendmill to gain the influence ranks.

Influence was always like that, since it was added at the same time as the 50 ranks. Before that, there was Affection, which worked in essentially the same way, except that the total number of points from lowest to highest was much, much lower, but so were the rewards, especially for conversations. (No, it wasn't possible to gain 520 affection from a big approval - I don't think I ever saw even as much as +100 Affection from conversations. -400 Affection from a single conversation item(1) was a thing, though.)

Influence just made the treadmill a bit longer.

the problems i am having are soloing lvl 30+ heroic +2s.

Hard to say, but I'd say you're doing *something* wrong. "lvl 30+" means starting with Alderaan, maybe PubBalmorra/ImpTaris, which a level 60+ should be able to stomp without too much problem. If you were complaining about just the one on Pubside Section X, I'd offer some advice about going slow, using the "throw something 30 metres" ability that all classes have (in order to incite the enemy to come to you so they leave their buddies behind), careful use of the companion Active/Passive switch, stuns, mezzes, stuff like that, but none of that should be necessary for level 30 Heroics. Just play well, use the right defensives, rank up your companion to 10-15, maybe a bit more, and set up your gear correctly.

(1) Elara Dorne, in the A-77 mission, if you choose ==> that option.

Seems there is also a bug where sometimes companions go passive on their own and refuse to heal you.

Encounterd it recently a couple of times, no idea what causes this. Possibly connected to have them harvest nodes but not sure.

So make sure they are actually active.

If you are struggling check their influence level as well, they don't need to be at max but I usually feed them gifts till they are at least at 20-25 influence when leveling.

Also you might wanna upgrade your own gear every couple of levels. With leveling beiing so fast I often see ppl at level 35 with still starter planet gear, like rating 30 or less.

Also helps when you are a bit overleveled, even if you get synced down you have more abilities at a slightly higher level.

You can use stuns and dcd for harder mobs as well. :)

If you are still struggling you can always team up, some ppl like to do this for faster and easier heroic run.

• 2 weeks later...

ty all. you are all helped me find the problem. after reading your responses, it turns out the companions are way way under leveled in the influence scale. sorry for the delay in responding. i had wrist and elbow problems from excessive typing, ty all again.

ps - be aware of corporal and cubital tunnel syndromes. they can make life miserable.

• 8 months later...
Seems there is also a bug where sometimes companions go passive on their own and refuse to heal you.

Encounterd it recently a couple of times, no idea what causes this. Possibly connected to have them harvest nodes but not sure.

So make sure they are actually active.

If you are struggling check their influence level as well, they don't need to be at max but I usually feed them gifts till they are at least at 20-25 influence when leveling.

Also you might wanna upgrade your own gear every couple of levels. With leveling beiing so fast I often see ppl at level 35 with still starter planet gear, like rating 30 or less.

Also helps when you are a bit overleveled, even if you get synced down you have more abilities at a slightly higher level.

You can use stuns and dcd for harder mobs as well. :)

If you are still struggling you can always team up, some ppl like to do this for faster and easier heroic run.

the companion passive no heal bug workaround - please try to unbind the companion passive hot bar button. i confirmed it by doing that.

Edited by DarkJediMage