need to post a official sticky about this or a post

hargrave

The majority of people myself included up to the guild summit believe ilum and open world pvp is being thrown out the window permanently. Based on what i heard at the guild summit and seeing this http://www.theimperialnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/ilum.jpg and people still thinking ilum/open world pvp is bieng phased out permanently you really need to make a sticky or at least make it known on here.

Im not sure if youve realized this or are not aware of this bieng peoples view? Either way gabe or someone needs to post and say what was said at the guild summit about ilum.

On a side note like i said i thought open world pvp/ilum was bieng phased out myself until the guild summit. Please let people know this isnt true in the pvp forum with a sticky or post thank you.

Edited by hargrave

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's being phased out for now, because it absolutely doesn't meet the requirements of entertaining PvP and people hate it. Their comment about them 'not blowing up Ilum with the Death Star' is enough to let you know that they plan to do something with it in the future. But for now, it's just a frustration most players would rather do without.

How many MMO's have you played? The devs would never say something that was not true right or withhold pertinent information from the patches notes or would they?

They said they would like to fix it. Did they say they were going to be given the resources to do so or a time line?

What in 1.2 is all the revolutionary to the game. Nothing but a few db tweaks, a new WZ which will be another mini game in a box and a new FP.

They scrapped Valor and are coming out with new armor pretties and a bunch of money sink legacy stuff which they indicated was going to be very costly, yet in one of their slides they showed that most of us had less that 500k of credits.

It is ok to get all hyped up about the summit but sit back and ask yourself what did they really say. Kudos for a great marketing job BW and the guild summit idea.

I heard we have a hacker problem and we can't fix it yet. We have chest gold farmers and we havent figured out how to fix it yet. We blew it with valor so we made it useless. We have an issue with pvp vs pve gear and what to do about it if there was ever open worlds pvp.

There will never be real Open world pvp in this game from what I heard. PVP only works great in instanced pvp grounds what do you do when the pvp is out in another world and you have pve geared people and pvp geared people? There should be one set of gear or no gear and the content should be based on the same figures. PVE content can be adjusted accordingly. Why should I have to have different gear? Did Luke ever change his gear, Darth Vader. We all play in the same world. Simplify the game gear. Let us colorize and make it ours. I could care less if PVE guy the same gear as me as a PVPEr. It think gear grinds are dumb, but if people want to grind for the same gear in pve great. Just don't expect you can pvp with those that do it all the time.

Of course world PvP is being thrown out - nothing about the game was designed with world PvP in mind.

100% agree. As much as I would LOVE open world pvp, or at least a pvp world to RVR, I don't think its going to happen.

How many MMO's have you played? The devs would never say something that was not true right or withhold pertinent information from the patches notes or would they?

They said they would like to fix it. Did they say they were going to be given the resources to do so or a time line?

Anyone who would assume so has a critical flaw - that they know what they're doing. That they have the COMPETENCE to fix it. They created a great single player game with good story integration and multiplayer elements but it's clear when it comes to the MMO components they are inexperienced and inept.

World PvP was built into the fabric of the game itself in other MMOs like WoW. It's not in TOR, so they slapped on a field in a level 50 zone and called it open world PvP. That's not open world PvP. It will never be.

Edited by EternalFinality

Of course world PvP is being thrown out - nothing about the game was designed with world PvP in mind.

Or that World PvP almost never ever works in a MMO.

I never understand why people get so hot and bothered about PVP server or open world PVP in general. There are few to any good fights, most consist of zergs.

Even WoW tried this with there Wintergrasp, which had a lame version of bolster. In the end they changed it so you could only have so many people in the zone when it was ready to flip. Before that who ever had the zerg faction controlled it 90% of the time.

I never understand why people get so hot and bothered about PVP server or open world PVP in general. There are few to any good fights, most consist of zergs.

Even WoW tried this with there Wintergrasp, which had a lame version of bolster. In the end they changed it so you could only have so many people in the zone when it was ready to flip. Before that who ever had the zerg faction controlled it 90% of the time.

WoW had Stranglethorn Vale and the area outside UBRS as hot world PvP zones. They worked wonderfully.

You cannot "create" world PvP. You simply need to design your zones properly and let the players encounter each other. World PvP must be PLAYER driven, not occur in designated zones.

it worked decently in lotro but the problem thier was you had biased devs and lack of development into the zone. It can work and yes thier will always be zergs just need to be able to capture bases from the inside and hold it. If they had pvp bases elsewhere on other planets it would thin out the fights

Before WoW, DAoC had mastered the open world pvp format for MMO RPGs. It still stands as one of the best designed games to this end. Warhammer tried to achieve this but failed. GW2 is currently in development and is the most promising game to recreate the DAoC experience in today's MMO world.

If you played DAoC extensively, you would understand why some of us are always hopeful to discover the next big thing. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but for those of us who do, there's no substitue. It's simply the best.

There is no fix because the game engine simply can't handle it. 40v40 is never going to happen in this game. Get over it.

World PvP is for bads who need a zerg behind them in order to win.

Well-designed world pvp wouldn't allow for situations where zergs can occur. World PvP is for players who enjoy the challenge and rewards of executing complex strategies with and against a large number of players. It's like an RTS where each unit is individually controlled.

This is not WoW or TOR world pvp. That's arcade pvp.

Before WoW, DAoC had mastered the open world pvp format for MMO RPGs. It still stands as one of the best designed games to this end. Warhammer tried to achieve this but failed. GW2 is currently in development and is the most promising game to recreate the DAoC experience in today's MMO world.

If you played DAoC extensively, you would understand why some of us are always hopeful to discover the next big thing. I'm not saying everyone should love it, but for those of us who do, there's no substitue. It's simply the best.

I really enjoyed DAoC PvP (or RvR there). It allowed for huge army on army fights but also small encounters, both group and solo.

And while I understand the game didn't appeal to everyone, I also enjoyed ShadowBane. I thought that open world, get ganked anywhere environement there was good too. And this from a player that was 90% solo through the leveling process.

I prefer open world pvp and Ilum over warzones. I just find it more dynamic. It is hardly perfect, but running wz's over and over just becomes boring for me and it feels too scripted.

I know that if they removed open world pvp and left only wz's as a viable option that I would unsubscribe. The game wouldn't hold much interest for me at that point. Hopefully, they will do more to bolster it though.

That's also true. But a significant component of world PvP is world PvP that occurs during the leveling process. In TOR there is none.

I disagree with this assessment.

I PVP'd while leveling up on Alderaan for a long time. I found the zones where IMPs had their quests and would hang their to fight people.

Roaming around Alderaaan between Reble and Imp zones I found several fights.

At level 50 I forage on Ilum and run into imps every time I do it.

Like everything else, it's up to the player to make the game work.

This is not to say I disagree with BW / EA being inept at making a MMO. To the contrary I think they failed big time to meet the expectations they established. I think they flat out lied actually.

Thier choice of engine for the game was a fatal misstake.

Edited by Quinlynn

I disagree with this assessment.

I PVP'd while leveling up on Alderaan for a long time. I found the zones where IMPs had their quests and would hang their to fight people.

Roaming around Alderaaan between Reble and Imp zones I found several fights.

At level 50 I forage on Ilum and run into imps every time I do it.

Like everything else, it's up to the player to make the game work.

This is not to say I disagree with BW / EA being inept at making a MMO. To the contrary I think they failed big time to meet the expectations they established. I think they flat out lied actually.

Thier choice of engine for the game was a fatal misstake.

You're saying that you literally went out of your way to find Imperials. To that I say - exactly. The zones are NOT designed for world PvP. They keep both factions segregated on their own sides of the planet and never mix them by making them go into common areas for quests.

Except for Ilum. But again, you can't slap world PvP on at the end, which is exactly what they did.

There is no fix because the game engine simply can't handle it. 40v40 is never going to happen in this game. Get over it.

World PvP is for bads who need a zerg behind them in order to win.

The fact that someone thinks they are a PvPer and they then post a comment like this is sad. You want to see real skill, try finding your place in a fight with that many people. It's only about a zerg if one side has overwhelming numbers. In an even fight, it's about which team works better together first and then which players are better second. They both matter, because if you don't know your job and can't play then your contribution to the team is weak or even damaging, but contributing to the team is the primary concern. It's a closer simulation to an actual battle on a battle field, and you have such a total lack of knowledge or skill at doing it that you think it's easier than a war zone.

Ilum needs to be an instance and be cross-server. They also need to make it so that teams are nearly equal or at very least balance enough that the slight number advantage to one side plays little effect on the battlefield. It would work really well then and function like a world pvp in that you can join when ever and be going on all time. In this state, ilum would be like old school av. Edited by Knockerz

If DAoC was so good at pvp why did it "fail" then (never played the game so i don´t know)?

But could it be that most people who play mmo´s are pve players that do few BGs/WZs now and then and basicly suck at any form of pvp be it 1v1 random encounter during leveling or RvR or WZs/BGs. What people should understand is that pvp is never the top priority of gaming companies that want to publish an POPULAR mmo pvp community is about the size of 20-30% of the total player pool if even that.