Does a 104,261 ms Ping Cout as LAG?

denavin

Losing count as to how many lag threads there are here already. And no word at all on the dev tracker. One would hope such a widespread problem would cause BW concern. Yet not a single word all day.

That would require that BW actually Cares.....

Also having lag issues, both on Satele Shan and now on Malgus??

I'm unable to play at this point...so, no dailies, no galactic seasons, no conquest points.

:(

Hey look on the bright side! You can pay them for CC to catch up on seasons! Oh wait, that's the bright side for BW! My bad.

Hey look on the bright side! You can pay them for CC to catch up on seasons! Oh wait, that's the bright side for BW! My bad.

I get 700 CC / month with my Sub, that is more than enough for what I need.

That would require that BW actually Cares.....

That would also require that BW is actually at fault. I experienced no lag on Star Forge the last few days. So it's most likely that the lag is the result of some "routing" issue between you and the BW servers.

And please don't reply with "but my internets work on other sites" before you read up on basic internet routing. (Google it.)

To answer the question in the thread title:

Does a 104,261 ms Ping Cout as LAG?

Well, the answer is, "No." It isn't *lag*. It's packet loss. A hundred thousand ms (milliseconds) is a hundred seconds, which (as server lag) is *clearly* nonsense.

Based on my observations when I had megaping like that, I determined that I was having packet loss problems. In essence, if the client's message to the server goes missing, or if the server's response goes missing, for X amount of time, it is impossible to tell whether the message exchange is *delayed* or broken. Realistically in today's Internet, X isn't actually very long, a few seconds at the most, but the client keeps on waiting for the answer to ===> that message, long after it should give up and wait for the next one instead.

The packet loss isn't necessarily *in* BioWare's datacentre, of course, which is why in some cases, only a few people have problems of this sort. In essence, the "closer" (in Internet routing hop terms) the fail point is to BioWare's datacentre, the more people will be affected, and the closer it is to the affected player, the smaller the number of affected players is (but the more *other* things are affected for them).

That would also require that BW is actually at fault. I experienced no lag on Star Forge the last few days. So it's most likely that the lag is the result of some "routing" issue between you and the BW servers.

And please don't reply with "but my internets work on other sites" before you read up on basic internet routing. (Google it.)

It may be in their infrastructure that is causing a problem... But BW being silent about it makes them complicit to the problem.... They are paying for that infrastructure it is up to them, when a problem arises to get on the arsses of thier ISP's and get it fixed as quickly as possible and not simply stick their collective heads up their rear ends and ignore the problem and the complaints.

I got news for you if my ISP as dragging my service down you can damn will bet I will be on the phone with them until it gets fixed. Or I will go over their heads to get them into action. I have done it before and will do it again if I must. BW needs to do the same thing and get off their asses.

So YES it is indirectly their Fault, even if it is not being caused by the server.

And please don't reply with "but my internets work on other sites" before you read up on basic internet routing.

And I will thank you not to insult my intelligence with responses like this.

It may be in their infrastructure that is causing a problem... But BW being silent about it makes them complicit to the problem.... They are paying for that infrastructure it is up to them, when a problem arises to get on the arsses of thier ISP's and get it fixed as quickly as possible and not simply stick their collective heads up their rear ends and ignore the problem and the complaints.

I got news for you if my ISP as dragging my service down you can damn will bet I will be on the phone with them until it gets fixed. Or I will go over their heads to get them into action. I have done it before and will do it again if I must. BW needs to do the same thing and get off their asses.

So YES it is indirectly their Fault, even if it is not being caused by the server.

And I will thank you not to insult my intelligence with responses like this.

There are two other threads that have discussed this. I suggest you read them so we are not repeating ourselves in several threads. The bottom line is this isn’t a Bioware issue, it’s an ISP issue for people on spectrum.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

To answer the question in the thread title:

Well, the answer is, "No." It isn't *lag*. It's packet loss. A hundred thousand ms (milliseconds) is a hundred seconds, which (as server lag) is *clearly* nonsense.

Based on my observations when I had megaping like that, I determined that I was having packet loss problems. In essence, if the client's message to the server goes missing, or if the server's response goes missing, for X amount of time, it is impossible to tell whether the message exchange is *delayed* or broken. Realistically in today's Internet, X isn't actually very long, a few seconds at the most, but the client keeps on waiting for the answer to ===> that message, long after it should give up and wait for the next one instead.

The packet loss isn't necessarily *in* BioWare's datacentre, of course, which is why in some cases, only a few people have problems of this sort. In essence, the "closer" (in Internet routing hop terms) the fail point is to BioWare's datacentre, the more people will be affected, and the closer it is to the affected player, the smaller the number of affected players is (but the more *other* things are affected for them).

I never realized it was packet loss. That ping did happen a lot in 2011. As I said earlier, BW did have a lot of problems back in 2011. In retrospect, packet loss would have explained the ping traces back to the SWTOR servers back then.