Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why Arcann and Senya must die for the good of the Story

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Why Arcann and Senya must die for the good of the Story

thebumpkin
10.24.2016 , 06:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by dcaleb View Post
In fairness, Thexan got killed when he got in the way of Arcann attacking someone else who totally had it coming (Valkorion) and wasn't his actual target. Unlike all those innocent civilians and loyal Knights who were punished for failures they couldn't have possibly prevented thanks to being stationed at completely different places.
Thexan prevented his Emperor and father, from being Assassinated or at least, appeared to. Thexan was doing what any loyal (no matter how misguided or misplaced) son would do for his father.

I actually feel really sorry for Thexan, he served his father without question and with dignity and when he got slain, Valkorion just stepped over his body and carried on like nothing had happened.
"I love killing Cultists. Makes me feel like I'm tidying up the Galaxy. - Bounty Hunter, Hoth main planetary story.
"I thought the interrogation we faced on Manaan was severe. Darth Marr made that little session seem like a picnic! - C2D4, Shadow of Revan Post Darkside choice.

Teriaon
10.24.2016 , 07:42 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
It wouldn't be Star Wars if the angry masked bad guy wasn't redeemed by love.

In any case, I have no doubt they will have the story open and split between those that kill Arcann and Senya, and those that do not.

More than that, if Arcann offers a genuine turn towards good... why shouldn't we accept that? He may never be able to atone for his crimes, but is death the best answer? Is it the correct answer? These are questions others have to answer for themselves.
First of all here I assume you are talking about Darth Vader, which is the most visable example of this, however we should remember that he did in fact die, so we never got to see what would have happend had he not, which I have no doubt would be a trial and very posibly and execution.

Secondly to all the people saying it will be our choice, do you honestly belive that will be the case? with the direction the story telling is going in this game do you honestly belive that something so major will be up to the player? then what if they make another expansion after this? how will the one story model make sense if half the players left him alive and the other did not? it would create too much of a difference, especially considering how the people around you would react.

No what is going to happen if we look at how the story has been going so far is that we are going to be presented with Arcann and then something will happen that force our character to ally with him if we wish to or not. And as for all those who think he should be redeemed hell no, at the very least he should be put in a jail cell for what he has done, one can debate the value of killing him but he sure as hell shouldent be allowed to just be let go because he supposedly has a change of heart. Now I personally belive we should kill him, we should have been able to do that when we fought him the first time, especially since we were given the option twice, since we did not get to, I suspect that we will infact be forced to ally with him in the future cause it is clear to me that is the story they want to tell weather or not it makes any sense at all

drfumblez
10.24.2016 , 11:27 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Teriaon View Post
First of all here I assume you are talking about Darth Vader, which is the most visable example of this, however we should remember that he did in fact die, so we never got to see what would have happend had he not, which I have no doubt would be a trial and very posibly and execution.

Secondly to all the people saying it will be our choice, do you honestly belive that will be the case? with the direction the story telling is going in this game do you honestly belive that something so major will be up to the player? then what if they make another expansion after this? how will the one story model make sense if half the players left him alive and the other did not? it would create too much of a difference, especially considering how the people around you would react.

No what is going to happen if we look at how the story has been going so far is that we are going to be presented with Arcann and then something will happen that force our character to ally with him if we wish to or not. And as for all those who think he should be redeemed hell no, at the very least he should be put in a jail cell for what he has done, one can debate the value of killing him but he sure as hell shouldent be allowed to just be let go because he supposedly has a change of heart. Now I personally belive we should kill him, we should have been able to do that when we fought him the first time, especially since we were given the option twice, since we did not get to, I suspect that we will infact be forced to ally with him in the future cause it is clear to me that is the story they want to tell weather or not it makes any sense at all
Yes, but Redemption is a main tenet of Star Wars.

In any case, as to your second point: I one hundred percent believe that the option will be narrowed down to this: Kill Arcann and Senya, or spare them.

In fact, I will go on record claiming this. You can all point back to my post on Nov 29th to see if I'm right.

Codedrago
10.25.2016 , 09:54 AM | #24
Uh, I don't believe. I know... Unless this glitches like the Doc line in Chapter 10.
It's not that you disagree, it's how you disagree
You're a white knight if you like Bioware, you're a whiner if you hate them, you're a scummy fence sitter if you're in the middle.
Why don't go and click this referral link . Please? Pwetty Pwease with a Vette on top?

drfumblez
12.27.2016 , 05:53 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by drfumblez View Post
Yes, but Redemption is a main tenet of Star Wars.

In any case, as to your second point: I one hundred percent believe that the option will be narrowed down to this: Kill Arcann and Senya, or spare them.

In fact, I will go on record claiming this. You can all point back to my post on Nov 29th to see if I'm right.
A month late, but hey.

I TOTALLY CALLED IT.

light_senshi
12.28.2016 , 03:01 PM | #26
Where's my "kill arcann, recruit vaylin" option?

josephinec
12.28.2016 , 03:56 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by light_senshi View Post
Where's my "kill arcann, recruit vaylin" option?
Because apparently Vaylin is "too dangerous to be kept alive".
Click here so we all get nice things: http://www.swtor.com/r/yLqcYJ
#ThanksBioware
Vaylin deserved better.

SithKoriandr
12.28.2016 , 05:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by josephinec View Post
Because apparently Vaylin is "too dangerous to be kept alive".
She didn't want to live.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SypherCorvus
02.18.2020 , 04:54 PM | #29
The question is quite interesting, although I personally think that they should be eliminated. Both(although, if the game offered to give Senya 10-20 years of guardhouse, it would be preferable after all).

I played for the Hunter. A kind of maximally pragmatic psychotype, which even feels sorry for the plasma on extra corpses. And here is we meet Senya - a immediately warns, nourished German not worth it trust(although himself a, too, certainly deserves a hole in the skull, and not receives onuyu only because, that I too sentimental to upset Lana). She stated that it wants to help to eliminate(and we are talking about physical destruction) Arcana and Vailin. Okay, we welcome her, because allies are useful to us, throughout the story we communicate with her normally, without any ridicule or insulting views. And here realized KOTFE coming to an end, and we're going to storm the Arkann's mothership. We specifically ask Senya if she can psychologically kill her own daughter, to which She responds, saying, " No problem, Beldam will not happen again, I give my word." And so we put out Arcann and leave it a pile of rubble. And what is Senya doing there ? Of course he pulls out his son.

That is, we trust her more or less throughout the story, and then it turns out that throughout this time she lied to us, and then completely brazenly threw. Seriously, what the hell was she doing all this time ? The idea that "well, I'll lie to you, betray your trust, save the main scum of the galaxy, and then come to ask for help" - so what ? Seriously, if you think your son is worthy of salvation, why not discuss it with our OL in advance ? So and so, I try to capture Arcanna alive and let me talk. Seriously, Senya can only come down to explaining her actions under bombardment, and if you put pressure on her. Here is my opinion - with such associates and enemies the not need, and nor I, nor my Persian such podlyanok forgive simply not in able - if you gave word, should his keep.

With Arkann, everything is much more prosaic - remembering the billions of civilians, both Zakuulans and residents of the known galaxy, who died because of Arkann's crazy ideas, how to either forgive him or even judge him, it is not possible - any court will pass a death sentence. Mercy toward the guilty is treachery toward the innocent. And if the OL spared arkann at least somewhere, who in the Alliance would obey Him if the galaxy's chief scum didn't just get away with it, but was also given an officer's status ?

Brittie
03.18.2021 , 05:24 AM | #30
Old thread I know but I didn't want to start a new one for the same topic and content and I only just finished this for the first time ever on my first ever character. I know many of you have played for a long time.

But, I completely agree with the OP

Rubbish result, very much especially if you are Sith aligned.

There is no choice you can make that actually matters. The choice only affects who in your "alliance" gets pissed off at you. Big deal. In the game story you knew none of these characters '5 years prior in stasis' other than Theron and Lana.

There is no real connection with Senya, Arcann and Vaylin for me, they just get introduced into the storyline. And Valkorian is just someone you're forced to deal with.

You wake up one day from cryo stasis in a new empire, with a new emperor who has somehow managed to create a new empire which puts the Jedi Republic and Sith Empire COMBINED to shame all while neither faction even knowing this was happening under their noses. Barely believable, but OK, Ill play along. I enjoyed the game a lot up till now so lets give it some leeway.

So after 16 chapters you get to a point in the story where enough damage has been caused and your character has been through enough trials and met enough people that everyone in your team is over 200% is on board with getting rid of Arcann and Vaylin, this absolutely includes Senya in her speeches along the way after her first encounter with Vaylin.

You then get to that point finally in an epic battle where you finally bring Arcaan to his knees. The part of the cutscene where you stand there looking down at him after selecting to kill him off while the ship is being blown to bits around you is a literal eternity. Plenty of time to stick your sword through his head and then get out of the burning ship. But you stand there continuing looking at him like a muppet. Debris drops and suddenly you're separated.

I knew right there and then, never having played through before, exactly how this was going to pan out. The escape using the rubbish story writing trick. Its an oldie but a goodie.

Any choice to kill him off, is completely ineffective. So don't even bother. You have no choice. Doesn't matter what you select.

Then while you're separated, still staring at him, while even a force apprentice knows how to force leap, your character as a Jedi or Sith master by this point...just keeps staring. Seems odd.

A large hunk of ship drops on him and crushes him. Arcann, we find out soon after, still lives.

When you leave the buring ship then Mother dearest decides NOW is time to be a better mother and decides to take off with him. You then actually FOLLOW them in your shuttle after successfully getting out of the burning wreck. You expect if you wern't going to have an ability to kill them both off your character wouldn't even bother turning your ship around, but you do. You catch up, get another option to select to finish them off. Maybe this time my choice might have a real outcome. Nope.

So, nothing you select to finish the job actually matters. There is only one choice and it's already made for you.

On the other hand if you want him to live or even if you're slightly not sure then all your roads lead to your Rome. He lives, even if you select to kill him or both of them off. The 'good' option is the only one for all of us. The 'bad' option must be so bad that the stroy writers have deemed youre not allowed to have it.

In this chapter there is no story and no decision which really affects the final outcome other than the consolation prize of selecting ultimately the side remarks from your team members as to who likes you and who doesn't after that. But who cares. I never based my character around a popularity contest.

Piss poor story writing.