Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Several Guides to Starting Ranked PvP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Several Guides to Starting Ranked PvP

Kurj
08.10.2021 , 10:47 AM | #21
That's helpful info. I'm not planning to play ranked, just curious about the differences before I pick up one or the other. I think I'll go with Descent to start.
Begeren Colony

Elmendra | Ozeranski | Tr'sain | Kurj

Beyrahl
08.14.2021 , 08:10 PM | #22
I actually have a guide on marauder for PvP that actually goes into more depth on this topic. (I also have commentary over in Solos, though I have not been playing solos lately so no new ones coming anytime soon.)
But generally, you take force bound to take a slightly more supportive role for your team, you take a hit in damage but you can still do a lot. There are often times I do the most damage consistently with force bound compared to another marauder with descent, but it is my main class.
The biggest example is a yellow damage-heavy team you should likely use force bound to shut down their damage.
Even more so important is PT vs PT, if they're both good, having a force bound to shutdown the enemies' PT opener is huge giving your PT a massive advantage which will likely spiral into a win.

Kurj
08.15.2021 , 09:28 AM | #23
Thanks for the further info. Your guides are awesome, especially the discussion of relative strengths of the classes and strategies against them, etc. I'm back after a long break, so for my first set I'm going with something I can pick up off a vendor (gotta save some money for augs), but I'll aim for FB once I can.
Begeren Colony

septru
08.15.2021 , 01:26 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurj View Post
(gotta save some money for augs)
You actually don't need augments in bolstered PvP. Bolster provides you with the stats from 228 augments. So unless you want to min/max or looking for gold augs, buying augs isn't necessary.

With that said, if you go into ranked with no augs most people will assume you are bad and tunnel you. But that's not the end of the world if you can handle pressure.
-Prum

Kurj
08.16.2021 , 10:41 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by septru View Post
You actually don't need augments in bolstered PvP. Bolster provides you with the stats from 228 augments. So unless you want to min/max or looking for gold augs, buying augs isn't necessary.

With that said, if you go into ranked with no augs most people will assume you are bad and tunnel you. But that's not the end of the world if you can handle pressure.
I was planning on augs after I had 306 and set bonus. But now I realize that FB only needs 4 pieces for full set bonus. What do you run with it? 3 pieces of amplified champion? 2 pieces of descent and 1 piece of amplified champion?
Begeren Colony

septru
08.17.2021 , 06:03 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kurj View Post
I was planning on augs after I had 306 and set bonus. But now I realize that FB only needs 4 pieces for full set bonus. What do you run with it? 3 pieces of amplified champion? 2 pieces of descent and 1 piece of amplified champion?
The difference is minimal between the two options. I run 2 piece descent and 1 piece amplified because I have my 6 piece descent anyways. Since you will eventually get the 6 piece descent, by the sounds of it, you might also want to do and do a 1 amplified, 2 descent.
-Prum

Kurj
08.17.2021 , 09:41 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by septru View Post
The difference is minimal between the two options. I run 2 piece descent and 1 piece amplified because I have my 6 piece descent anyways. Since you will eventually get the 6 piece descent, by the sounds of it, you might also want to do and do a 1 amplified, 2 descent.
I bit the bullet and picked up 4 pieces of FB, and went with 2 descent 1 amplified. Thanks for the tips, looking forward to giving it a go.
Begeren Colony