Gear and Progression changes coming with 7.1

BryantWood

• Dev Post

Hey Community!

I’m back to talk about the changes to gearing and progression players can expect with the 7.1 Update. We’ve already posted about the gear for the upcoming Operation: The R4 Anomaly, so this post will hit on the rest of the changes!

New Operation: The R4 Anomaly

We’ve previously outlined how gearing will work for R4 Anomaly, but let’s talk about vanity gear! The token exchange vendors for Story and Veteran will offer dyeable versions of the R4 Anomaly gear in two color variations, along with special versions of the gear with special VFX.

The story token exchange will trade tokens for the Hazardous Delver, Virulent Delver, Hazardous Excavator, and Virulent Excavator sets.

The veteran token exchange will trade tokens for Hazardous Explorer, Virulent Explorer, Hazardous Pathfinder, Virulent Pathfinder, Hazardous Expert, Virulent Expert, Hazardous Professional, and Virulent Professional sets.

Stat Distribution Changes

We’re further adjusting the stat distribution of Premium and Prototype gear, with the intent of making players feel stronger in this gear. These changes will apply to Premium and Prototype gear at Item Rating 328 and higher.

We’ll also be adjusting the stat distribution of Artifact gear for tanks. Tanks will see higher values for Endurance on gear.

Increasing the Power Ceiling

With 7.1 we’ll be implementing our first power increase, allowing players to obtain even stronger gear. Here are the new maximum item ratings players can obtain:

• Noble Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)
  • Elite Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 324)
  • Supreme Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)
  • Tionese Gear – 330 (up from 322)
  • Columi Gear – 330 (up from 326)
  • Thyrsian Gear – 328 (up from 326)
  • Legendary Implants – 334 (up from 330)

Moddable Gear

7.1 will include mods available at Item Ratings 328 and 330! To begin the process of unlocking the new mods, players should seek out Hyde and Zeek near the modification vendors in the Supplies section of the Fleet. Hyde and Zeek will require players to obtain and deconstruct items at Item Rating 328 and 330 to unlock purchasable mods at those Item Ratings respectively. Combined with Power Ceiling Increase, all players will have a chance to earn this moddable gear! Missions will be offered for Prototype and Artifact gear separately, so gather the best gear to unlock the best mods!

Reducing the Cost of Legendary Implants for Alts

We’ve developed a system for players to earn Legendary Implants easier for additional characters. 7.1 will include new Legacy of the Sith Achievements for upgrading two Legendary Implants up to Item Rating 330 and Item Rating 334. Once you have obtained this achievement, SN-4RK will reduce the cost of lower Item Rating Implants and Implant Upgrades for reduced Conquest Commendations (60, down from 100) and Tech Fragments (2500, down from 6500).

Planetary Vanity Gear

The addition of Combat Styles brought along changes to the gear players earn while leveling. With 7.1 we are adding vanity versions of the leveling gear to Planetary Vendors so players can pick and choose the looks for themselves and their companions, regardless of Origin Story or Combat Style.

Dyeable Versions of Thyrsian Gear

PvP players will notice Thyrsian Fitted Gear available for sale from the PvP Gear Vendor on the Fleet which have unlocked dye and modification slots. These items can be purchased using WZ-1 Accelerants and credits.

We hope you enjoy these updates and look forward to your feedback. See you on the Fleet!

Edited by CommunityTeam

Hey Community!

With 7.1 we’ll be implementing our first power increase, allowing players to obtain even stronger gear. Here are the new maximum item ratings players can obtain:

[*]Noble Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Elite Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 324)

[*]Supreme Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Tionese Gear – 330 (up from 322)

[*]Columi Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Thyrsian Gear – 328 (up from 326)

[*]Legendary Implants – 334 (up from 330)

I'm not seeing any information on Rakata gear. :rak_02:

I'm not seeing any information on Rakata gear. :rak_02:

That's cause it's already at 330 level. Essentially...

Tionese (green) - 330

Columi (blue) - 330

Rakata (purple) 330

Hazardous (new blue) - 340 only from R4A

Virulent (new purple) - 340 only from R4A

What is new pvp "bolster" if there is one? Will it scale to 340? Or will max raid gear still give more stats inside warzones? and forcing pvp players into raiding. Edited by Skummy

We’ve developed a system for players to earn Legendary Implants easier for additional characters. 7.1 will include new Legacy of the Sith Achievements for upgrading two Legendary Implants up to Item Rating 330 and Item Rating 334. Once you have obtained this achievement, SN-4RK will reduce the cost of lower Item Rating Implants and Implant Upgrades for reduced Conquest Commendations (60, down from 100) and Tech Fragments (2500, down from 6500).

This is actually great news. Thank you.

Hey Community!

I’m back to talk about the changes to gearing and progression players can expect with the 7.1 Update.

The veteran token exchange will trade tokens for Hazardous Explorer, Virulent Explorer, Hazardous Pathfinder, Virulent Pathfinder, Hazardous Expert, Virulent Expert, Hazardous Professional, and Virulent Professional sets.

Stat Distribution Changes

We’re further adjusting the stat distribution of Premium and Prototype gear, with the intent of making players feel stronger in this gear. These changes will apply to Premium and Prototype gear at Item Rating 328 and higher.

[*]Noble Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Elite Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 324)

[*]Supreme Decurion Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Tionese Gear – 330 (up from 322)

[*]Columi Gear – 330 (up from 326)

[*]Thyrsian Gear – 328 (up from 326)

[*]Legendary Implants – 334 (up from 330)

Moddable Gear

7.1 will include mods available at Item Ratings 328 and 330! To begin the process of unlocking the new mods, players should seek out Hyde and Zeek near the modification vendors in the Supplies section of the Fleet. Hyde and Zeek will require players to obtain and deconstruct items at Item Rating 328 and 330 to unlock purchasable mods at those Item Ratings respectively. Combined with Power Ceiling Increase, all players will have a chance to earn this moddable gear! Missions will be offered for Prototype and Artifact gear separately, so gather the best gear to unlock the best mods!

Planetary Vanity Gear

The addition of Combat Styles brought along changes to the gear players earn while leveling. With 7.1 we are adding vanity versions of the leveling gear to Planetary Vendors so players can pick and choose the looks for themselves and their companions, regardless of Origin Story or Combat Style.

We hope you enjoy these updates and look forward to your feedback. See you on the Fleet!

Okay I see a lot to love here. :o So sweet of you guys to notice that the stats of the current conquest gear STINKS! Really why did you all do that to begin with? Also, YAY FINALLY MODS :)! About time! :D

More Barbie Gear is a good thing. So, thank you for that too. :)

Here's what I don't see that makes me twitchy...

1. More Daily Resource Matrix drops or Cheaper Upgrades for Conquest Gear.

2. Being able to raise Green Gear to blue, Purple, and gold.

Really, so not cool.

But we shall see what we shall see.

Oh I forgot - what yall are doing is the classic bait and switch.

Stop creating a problem and selling us the solution - this isnt a free service. People pay you, contractually, to provide a service. If you produce bugged or broken or poorly designed content/infrastructure - its your responsibility to fix it, on your own dime. Stop selling us premade solutions to your premade problems.

Get some Honor.

Moddable Gear

"Prototype and Artifact gear" - can you clarify this, please? Does that mean only blue and purple gear will be moddable? As in, not the green Conquest gear?

'moddable'...but the new mods come from special vendors.

Remember when crafting was at all useful? Pepperidge Farm remembers...

I've officially lost all hope for crafting. After a respectable period of mourning, I'm over it.

• Like 1

I'm also wondering about the Thyrsian Gear, I've been grinding to get the purple 326 gear for my toons, will the 328 remain purple, or become blue? I'd like also to see Thyrsian Gear having a 330 max instead the 328, it makes more sense (i know, i know i used the S word, i'm trying to be more optimistic).

Hey Community!

Planetary Vanity Gear

Last time I was on the PTS there weren't vendors with the leveling gear for Quesh, Ilum or Makeb. Is that intentional? Also missing from vendors were the tank variant styles, only dps styles were on the vendors. Will those get added in at some point?

Most critical - at some point will we be given access to the unique pre- 7.0 starter planet styles that got removed from the game?

I've officially lost all hope for crafting. After a respectable period of mourning, I'm over it.

I imagine the path to learn these mods will be long and tedious having to require drops to deconstruct. Where do we get these drops? Ops?

Yeah, crafting has been thrown down the toilet. Any promise of an overhaul will take years like everything else.

Hey Community!

We’ll also be adjusting the stat distribution of Artifact gear for tanks. Tanks will see higher values for Endurance on gear.

Alright, this seems like a change that sounds really nice at first glance but...

Endurance is largely useless, Endurance directly scales with how strong healers are. The stronger the healers the better endurance gets, however all healers but operative are in a really bad state making endurance just a bad deal right now.

Especially considering some bosses are made around the idea that deflection/saberward give immunity to meele and range (white damage). The calculation is as follows: 90% accuracy - 5% accuracy debuff - 50% deflection/saberward = 35% base defense. You cannot reach this value currently, if you really want to change the tank stats because you somehow concluded that they are in a bad state what really need to do is change the scalings, especially for defense, the more defense you build the less the gain in defense actually is.

This is known as diminishing returns and generally not a bad thing, but they are too extreme, what you need to is to decrease the % value you lose for each stat point.

This has become an issue since 7.0 because you have way more value IN raw stats which will lead to a marginable increase in the % value. I would adjust the diminishing returns so that 7000 raw defense value will give you 19% defense (19 from gear + 16 from, permanent, class buffs = 35%). 7000 defense will currently give you 13.5% defense, not nearly enough.

But what does this mean? This means that BLUE gear will be better than PURPLE gear for tanks (provided shield and absorb aren't significantly higher in purple). A 3.X% increase in HP is not good enough to tank another hit in many cases, much less would your healers be able to heal 100k in ~1.5 GCDs which would mean even if your HP save you, which is already almost never the case, you'd still very likely just die to the hit that follows. HP is just not mitigation.

Why haven't more people said this yet? Predation also gives 10% defense to everybody, because marauders are so strong (for a multitude of reasons) this hasn't been a problem yet. But for tanks it is extremely infuriating to just randomly die just because you don't have a marauder that also exactly knows when predation is good.

Many developers have said that almost all feedback isn't objective but subjective. They also said objective feedback can be taken way more seriously and is more likely to lead to change. There you go, here is your objective feedback.

Edited by ZUHFB

Thanks for the infos/summary on the gearing. Still wonder about stat distribution especially with the gear from story mode R4 vs Rakata Gear. Is Rakata 330 going to be the best of the 330 gear, with gear from R4 Vet being the best possible gear to get.

Also very happy about the "Reducing the Cost of Legendary Implants for Alts".

Still kind of sad, that Rakata gear seems to stay at 330 ilvl.

I imagine the path to learn these mods will be long and tedious having to require drops to deconstruct. Where do we get these drops? Ops?

Yeah, crafting has been thrown down the toilet. Any promise of an overhaul will take years like everything else.

I was hoping for more details as well. "deconstruct these things, do some missions, unlock purchasable mods"....for credits? tech frags? OP1s? new currency? Is it a mission to unlock each type? Or just one mission to unlock all types? Or do we have to do a tank version, a heal version and a DPS version? Do we have to do it for all the different classes as well?

While I don't want to see all the different iterations of mods/enhancements from last expansion, I do hope we see things like Lethal B mods, enhancements with lower endurance and higher crit, lower defense and higher shield, etc. If they're going to give you the exact same stats as the current static gear then its pretty underwhelming for anyone already in 330s.

I know we'll find out tomorrow, maybe today in the patchnotes...just wish they gave more details about it since it was a big part of the game for years, then suddenly stripped away in 7.0. I would have thought they'd want to go with a "hey we listened and here's how you can do it!" approach rather than just vague descriptions about the process.

Edited by curulz

Sorry even that will not encourage me to take part in any activity in this game, except GSF and Strongholds.

I don't like the new equipment and it will still end up in my bin.:mad:

I'll stay with my full maxed out 306 gear for which I worked my a... off.

My guilds are dead and our members will not return to Swtor.

I'm sorry for the guilds and the players we've supported for a pretty long time, but that's the way it is.

Thanks for the effort Eric, but it's too little, too late.

Sorry even that will not encourage me to take part in any activity in this game, except GSF and Strongholds.

I don't like the new equipment and it will still end up in my bin.:mad:

I'll stay with my full maxed out 306 gear for which I worked my a... off.

My guilds are dead and our members will not return to Swtor.

I'm sorry for the guilds and the players we've supported for a pretty long time, but that's the way it is.

Thanks for the effort Eric, but it's too little, too late.

If you stay in 306 gear at level 80, there is a significant "old gear" penalty in 7.1. Playing anything in that gear will be substantially hampered.

If you stay in 306 gear at level 80, there is a significant "old gear" penalty in 7.1. Playing anything in that gear will be substantially hampered.

Thanks for the hint. :)

As I menioned before I won't do any new or old content, execept GSF.

By the way if that's Bioware's way to force me to accept their new gearing system I'm out of here.

I've been playing the game since start and maybe it's time to move on.

As I menioned before I won't do any new or old content, execept GSF.

By the way if that's Bioware's way to force me to accept their new gearing system I'm out of here.

What you going to use the gear for if you only GSF???

use it on the Forum to complain how bad the Game is, this has multiple advantages:

• you don't have to grind Gear to use it on the Forum.
  • it will never be outdated, "the Game sucks and here's why" posts will always remain "true" because even if the DEVs fix all of it they can't undo what was. In game gear on the other hand will always become purely of cosmetic value at some point.
  • there's no need to think about it, just stating "is bad" will suffice

and that's just what I could list on the spot

You should read my whole answer before asking such questions!

1. I'm playing the game since start and worked my a.. off for bis gear.

2. I'm guild master of 2 guilds which have been killed by 7.0

3. Before 7.0 we supported other guilds and single players with OP, FP, PVP etc.

4. I've started to reduce my activities to GSF, because of the crappy new gearing system.

5. I've canceled my sub so no need to worry about my comments anymore.

use it on the Forum to complain how bad the Game is, this has multiple advantages:

• you don't have to grind Gear to use it on the Forum.
  • it will never be outdated, "the Game sucks and here's why" posts will always remain "true" because even if the DEVs fix all of it they can't undo what was. In game gear on the other hand will always become purely of cosmetic value at some point.
  • there's no need to think about it, just stating "is bad" will suffice

and that's just what I could list on the spot

Seems that you didn't play the game since it started!!

1. The game got worse with the new gear, bugs and not needed changes that's a fact, period.

The 6.0 gearing system worked just fine and didn't need a whole overhaul.

2. I don't have a problem with outdated gear, I've a problem with a crappy new system and grinding

over and over again.

By the way I've a real life and that means to serve and protect and not to grind armor in a broken game.

4. The devs will do nothing, they are just stubborn (there has been a time when the listened to us but that's over)

5. Im not just stating it's bad, but I'm sick and tired to repeat my critic over and over again.

If you like the new gearing, the bugs etc fine, but I'm out.

I've invested a lot of my money in this game but if Bioware doesn't need it, not my problem.