Boosted Graphics Freezing Game On Loading Screen

turbomagnus

A few days ago, I got a new (laptop) computer to replace one that had recently decided to 'become one with The Force'. Last night, I finished loading my programs onto it and updating them to the current versions, including SWTOR. I ran and played SWTOR without a problem; that was yesterday. The new laptop was supposed to have a better graphics card than the laptop I had previously been gaming on, so earlier tonight, I decided to test it by raising the settings.

The game looked good and didn't seem to have too many problems in the Yavin IV Stronghold, on Tython, in the Nar Shaddaa Stronghold, on Nar Shaddaa itself, so I thought it was good.

Then I completed that character's daily Conquest and logged out intending to run another character and do their Conquest. That's when the problem happened. While there were no problems with loading screens in the actual game, whether accessed by logging out of that first character or by trying to start the game in a brand new session, the loading screen for the Character Select screen, the 'Dark Descent' loading screen, processes for a bit, then just stops and won't do anything further. I've let the computer sit there and done nothing for more than ten minutes, waiting to see if it will work past it; I've done a repair on the download in case there was a problem there, and I've even had to restart my computer several times trying to get it to work. So far, nothing has been successful.

Does anyone know of any way that I can bypass the loading screen to get to the in-game options or otherwise be able to lower the graphics settings back down? Or is it going to be a case of uninstall, reinstall, and trust The Force?

Edited by turbomagnus

You can change the settings manually by editing "client_settings.ini" in %LocalAppData%\SWTOR\swtor\settings

(Just press Win+R and copy paste the yellow text, it opens the file explorer in the current user's Swtor-appdata folder)

In the client_settings you can try to change the height and width and other stuff, but when you just installed Swtor on this PC, it should be easier to just delete or rename the file, so Swtor creates a new one using default values.

Edited by Mubrak