Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is SWTOR closer to full canon?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is SWTOR closer to full canon?

Kalnarius
05.10.2021 , 09:19 AM | #11
Honestly the way they could explain Swtor being cannon or not is supposedly how Favreau and Filoni are treating the sequel trilogy of being a alternate timeline due to the "World Between Worlds." 1 of the vast infinite alternate realities we get. Some characters were made canon again while others have not 1 way or another. But it would not take much for it to be canon all it would take is it to be referenced in whatever they are planning. Now there maybe a fixed set of events which are canon and others that aren't

The issue is with the storytelling of a MMO or RPG unless fixated linear there is a small chunk that would be cannon while others are not basically like Kotor and Kotor 2 had a lot of things that were not canon. Revan and Meetra's genders being neutral, somethings that happened in the storyline never actually happened and choices that are made.

The bones of swtor could be made canon while the events/choices unless they say were alternate timelines would not be canon.

ShamanMcLamie
09.14.2021 , 08:05 AM | #12
I'm so sick of "Is it canon, or not" discussion. Why would you want SWTOR to go full cannon? Good stories are good stories. If you're enjoying it that is all that should matter. Also the new Disney cannon isn't exactly all that great. I remember they made big buzz about how all their new stories would be consistent and work with each other and their main trilogy of films couldn't even be consistent with itself, not to mention all the conflicts with their new stories. The Mandalorian contradicted some things from the Aftermath books. George Lucas(who always maintained the entire EU was in an alternate universe) in a recent interview even said there were no Jedi vs Sith wars which The Old Republic era of Star Wars is all about.

At this point I treat The Old Republic era as being in it's own universe separate from the official canon. There are far less limitations on it's story telling that way like how there technically shouldn't be any Sith Force ghosts, but SWTOR is full of them. Also it's just less stressful when you don't have to worry about something being cannon. I'm enjoying this game and it's stories regardless if it is cannon, or not.

Shayddow
09.15.2021 , 04:33 PM | #13
After seeing what Disney did to Luke's character during "the Last Jedi" I'm glad SWTOR isn't part of the disney "canon".
At least his character was somewhat redeemed during "The Mandalorian" which I enjoyed.

I won't forgive them for not having Mara Jade either. They wanted to have a strong female lead (which is a good thing) that character's backstory would have fit the bill perfectly, and without all the nonsense of the marysue they went with, who did all this stuff with essentially no real backstory or training. Ya, I get she was that powerful because of the genetics of a Palpatine, but without training she would not have been able to do this type of thing. Yes, Luke didn't have much training either when he blew up the Death Star (only a bit of lightsaber practice with Obi-Wan and training bots) but he was already a good pilot- like his father before him-, but it shows him receiving quite a bit from Yoda on Dagobah.
Shekkel,75 Nimrossa, 75 |Ebon Hawk
Shassella, 75 Barzella, 75 | Begeran
Adonnah, 75 Kydosh, 70 |Harbinger
Tashha, 75 Svgon, 75 and too many others to list here