Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

One of the things Ben mentioned on the live stream, is that the dev team is looking to get some feedback regarding rewards from the Eternal Championship. Currently there are weekly quests for defeating 5, 7, and 10 encounters. Here is what Ben was looking for:

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters?
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters?
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters?

Feel free to answer by comparison (this should drop gear similar to a HM Flashpoint) or in Item Rating.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Level Sync, I'm fairly sure it isn't important to have anything aside from cosmetic shells Eric.

That's a tough question. In general, I'd hope that the Eternal Championship teaches players how to play their class; this has been lacking in the story chapters. I'm not just talking about maximizing DPS (since that depends too much on the gear) but also how to use stuns and interrupts. IMO, at least one of the bosses should only be beatable if you use an interrupt.

While I applaud your efforts to make the final bosses a challenge, I doubt it will be challenging for anyone on my raid group but I like to be proven wrong. After all, the fights have to be tuned not just for DPS players but also for healers and tanks so I can't see you putting in a 5k DPS check for the final challenge.

Regarding the gear that should drop, I'm thinking along the lines of purple 208-216 gear. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Tactical Flashpoints and HM flashpoints are the wrong way to gear up. Considering how easy it is to get 216 gear from SM operations, I don't mind players getting like MK-2 216 gear from the Eternal Championship. At least that way, they'll be able to gear up and have a big motivation to learn their classes, because you don't need to know your class for SM operations.

I don't see a point to have the 5th challenge drop less gear than the 10th challenge. Players who can complete the 10th challenge can easily clear HM raids and get 220/224 gear. If anything, this should focus on getting better gear for casual players who have at most seen SM raids. So let all challenges drop the same type of gear - maybe have 7th challenge drop MK-2 216 and the 5th challenge only 208 to offer a incentive to get better.

Progression players will run this for fun, they are already BiS and need no more gear.

Edited by Jerba

• Dev Post
How difficult are said encounters? Will clearing all 10 encounters be on par with NiM raids or face roll SM? I'm not sure we can answer what kind of gear they should drop without knowing how hard they are.

That's a great question! Since that is still in flux, I would say include that as part of your answer, how you feel the rewards should be reflected in difficulty.

-eric

Hey folks,

One of the things Ben mentioned on the live stream, is that the dev team is looking to get some feedback regarding rewards from the Eternal Championship. Currently there are weekly quests for defeating 5, 7, and 10 encounters. Here is what Ben was looking for:

Feel free to answer by comparison (this should drop gear similar to a HM Flashpoint) or in Item Rating.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

What level of gear should be rewarded upon killing 5 encounters: *I would say rating 218

Upon killing 7 encounters: *Gear Rating 222

Upon killing 10 encounters: *Gear rating 224

208 I guess?

One 216 none-ops gear, players can choose one piece to cannibalise for parts to complement their SM OPs gear.

One 216 ops token if it is hard, players can choose one token to complement their SM OPs gear.

That's a great question! Since that is still in flux, I would say include that as part of your answer, how you feel the rewards should be reflected in difficulty.

-eric

if difficulty is equal to SM OP, all 10= 208 MH

if harder, maybe a 216 OH or relic

Edited by Jamtas

Regarding the gear that should drop, I'm thinking along the lines of purple 208-216 gear. There's nothing wrong with admitting that Tactical Flashpoints and HM flashpoints are the wrong way to gear up. Considering how easy it is to get 216 gear from SM, I don't mind players getting like MK-2 216 gear from the Eternal Championship. At least that way, they'll be able to gear up and have a big motivation to learn their classes, because you don't need to know your class for SM operations.

i agree with you purple 208 - 220 MK2 should be what you should get, putting MK-1 will just mean that less story players will be willing to try out ops for the best gear.

boss 1-4 all killed = 208 MK-2

boss 5-8 all killed = 216 MK-2

boss 9-10 all killed = 22- MK-2

Edited by rishyoshi

With Level Sync, I'm fairly sure it isn't important to have anything aside from cosmetic shells Eric.

^ So true. The only part of the game where you really need good gear (that is gear better than 208) is for HM flashpoints and HM/NiM operations. In all other parts (like doing heroic quests), you are bolstered down which means there's no difference in having 208 or 224 gear.

That's also why I think the best gear should still only drop in group content, so please no setbonus gear and no 224 gear from Eternal Championship.

Edited by Jerba

Well.. i think it would be good if this Championship teaches you the basics. Stun, interrupt, using defensive skills and some acceptable rotation. So you need to "work" to know your class and to know what to do when.

If you manage to clear the 10 encounters, it would be appropriate to give them at least a token for SM OP gear (maybe per weekly?). And no, this would not prevent solo players from testing out OPs at all. It would give them enough confidence to actually try it out, because so much OP groups only take ppl with decent equip and skill. The remaining players wont go to try it anyway, so it doesnt matter much and gearing with group content is still faster even if you need to roll the dice on stuff you need.

For 7 some 216 gear without OP set bonus and for 5 some good 208 stuff. But i am not sure what is able to be crafted after the coming changes. So maybe this need to be upgraded to a higher level.

Edited by Methylium

I think we can’t have this discussion until we have the following information:

How hard is the encounters? Is the 5th encounter equivalent to tactical flashpoint? Is the 10th encounter’s difficulty equivalent to HM flashpoint or SM Operation boss? Understandably this is hard to measure since the flashpoints/Ops require more people, but seeing as you will always have a healer/tank with you I wonder what you’re aiming for in terms of difficulty?

As for gear drops if you’re aiming for Tactical to HM related gear & there is a weekly for this then I suggest that the gear should be flashpoint drop equivalent 208 – 216 gear. The best incentive for doing the hardest challenge is giving 216 optimized gear. This will be good gear that can get the players more comfortable into doing SM raids as their stats will be doing what is expected of them. They shouldn’t be given the endurance heavy gear, as the purpose of this is to ease them into doing Ops. Knowing what stats they should work towards is better.

Once the player does the challenge and wishes to gain more stats they can do SM raids to gain the set bonus & then move forward onto HM to get the even better gear with set bonus.

Since there are no new OPS anytime soon, and everything is heading towards solo mode stuff, then I would make it all the current end tier armor ratings. 208-224 based on how many times you complete. For instance, it could start with the 208 rewards, and you keep turning those in and trading up until you get to 224 as you progress through the multiple completions.

-eric

If you really want it to be a challenge you have to make it work separately for each role and tune it appropriately.

First 5 should be relatively easy and give you 208s.

6 and 7 should be more HM balanced, drop 216s.

8, 9 and 10 should be tuned at NiM levels for someone in min maxed augmented 216 gear. You can drop 220s from this. 10 can grant a title "proven Healer, tank / DPS"

Of course you will never do this and all 10 encounters are going to be faceroll with at most you have to interrupt one ability in the later waves.

There is zero reason to give out anything with stats on it at all in this content. Empty orange shells are all the reward I would be expecting from this, no matter the difficulty. Create 4 unique sets per faction for the four classes plus unique weapons and place a piece behind each encounter starting with round three.

• Round 1 - Loot Bag (stims, adrenals, crystals, something like that)
  • Round 2 - Loot Bag (stims, adrenals, crystals, something like that)
  • Round 3 - Waist
  • Round 4 - Wrist
  • Round 5 - Hands
  • Round 6 - Feet
  • Round 7 - Legs
  • Round 8 - Chest
  • Round 9 - Head
  • Round 10 - Title and Weapon

I do not like the weekly quest idea at all. The content should exist as a challenge for the solo players to test themselves. Make the encounters progressively more difficult so that earning the complete gear set plus the weapon is a real achievement, worthy of showing off.

Just my opinion.

Make them all drop 224s since you like giving easier content NiM level loot while not letting it drop from NiM.

I wonder what are they going to say in the thread he promised he would make on this issue.

Edited by znihilist

If it is setup like talked about in the stream.

1-5 Weekly: 208

1-7 Weekly: 216 (SM OP drop gear)

1-10 Weekly: 216 Token (SM OP token)

220 should stay for HM OP

224 should stay for Weekly HM OP

I believe this offers good incentive for players to run it but keeps top tier gear in OP's. If the rewards aren't worth my time I'm not going to waste my time doing like Star Fortress. I will get my companion/achievement and never waste another second in there.

Edited by Warrgames

Once the player does the challenge and wishes to gain more stats they can do SM raids to gain the set bonus & then move forward onto HM to get the even better gear with set bonus.

Unfortunately, from my experience the set bonus alone is not motivation enough for players to run SM. I've seen players rather take the 220 armorings from the comms vendor than getting a 216 setbonus. So I think it's better to have the Eternal Championship only drop endurance-heavy gear.

That way, players still have a lot to optimize from SM operations and they have a chance to see all bosses before they enter HM. Throwing them immediately into HM with just 216 gear and no raid experience is doomed to fail unless it's EV/KP.

Edited by Jerba

As far as gear drops go, I don't think anything above 208 should drop. This is solo content, and people should not be rewarded with operations level gear for doing it. As far as difficulty, if you want veterans to do it then you need to make it challenging. 1-5 can be easy so anyone can do it. 6-7 should be SM Operation difficulty. 8-9 should be HM Operation difficulty (and not EV and KP HM). Encounter 10 should be NiM level. Put something in that actually challenges even the best players, and give it a good title for completing it.

Unfortunately, from my experience the set bonus alone is not motivation enough for players to run SM. I've seen players rather take the 220 armorings from the comms vendor than getting a 216 setbonus. So I think it's better to have the Eternal Championship only drop endurance-heavy gear.

That way, players still have a lot to optimize from SM operations and they have a chance to see all bosses before they enter HM. Throwing them immediately into HM with just 216 gear and no raid experience is doomed to fail unless it's EV/KP.

I'm not suggesting jumping into HM Ops after doing the weekly, but I see your point about gear. They may just see "bigger number!" and just go with that only. I've seen people say "I already got 216 gear, I don't need the token!" so I really think there's a problem with the gearing numbers. There shouldn't be a bunch of gear in the "216" slot if their stats are far different but that's another argument for another day.

Is there a gear rating below 216 and above 208? If so, it might be good to give that. If one doesn't exist, perhaps a new rating should be made specifically for this, be well optimized but still below 216?

except people who gear up with the championship proably aren't intreasted in raiding. I don't expect a ton of people to declare that they're now ready for hard mode raids after they can finally get gear. not everyone wants to raid, and I suspect most people who gear up via this way are gonna be non raiders.

I think endurance heavy gear would be a mistake as it's dead simple to get a full set of 216 gear these days due to glowing data crystals being handed out for running heroics (which are, let's face it, the new dalies) as such, optimized 215 and 220 gear would be the best, assuming it was challanging. and ASSUMING BW MAKES THE REWARD GEAR.

depending on challange level, it might be better instead to award titles, decorations and unique legacy armor for each tier of the championship, instead of just flashpoint gear