300 gear advice for $

AussieAlan

So I decided to come back to the game, and started crafting some new gear, and was looking for some advice on making some money.

I have learned a 300 relic, forget which either focused or dip, which I see sell for about 40 million when I looked, but you only need one, and I only have 1 level 50 comp on that toon.

On the other hand, I just learned 300 DPS armoring, you do need either 7 or 8 of them, when I looked they were about 12 million, but I have 2 comps at level 50, and a headpiece with +8 crit synth weaving.

Problem is, due to health, I am almost exclusively a solo player, I am however an altooholic, so I have 31 toons, most biochem though, but can do conquest on most of them, so I can buy the embers from fragments.

Also, nope can't MM RR, I tried but only have 296 rating gear, I can do solo vet RR.

Really I am not out to make a fortune, I just want to get more comps to level 50.

Edited by AussieAlan

If you get a body slot that is stubborn, that is, you cannot seem to loot a piece that brings up your item rating, then you should use the Nitoo (on the republic fleet) or Takanna (on the imperial fleet) vendors to buy an item for that specific slot. Those vendors will always give you something that it equal to or higher than your current average iRating. This is how you slowly increase your average iRating. The point of running vet mode Red Reaper solo, or even Master mode Red Reaper solo, is to quickly earn lots of tech fragments, or lower iRating gear that you deconstruct for tech fragments, so that you can use the Nitoo/Takanna vendors to upgrade your lowest iRating slot and increase your average over time until you are in all 306.

As an aside, you may be in a better position to solo Master Mode Red Reaper if you get your companion's influence rank up.

Most importantly, I don't know anyone who makes money on crafted Spoils of War gear. The cost outweighs whatever you would make.

Edited by phalczen

I see, thanks for the info.

My Lana was level 50, I am just not very good.

If I am playing and doing conquests, and earning the bulk of the stuff for crafting, like matrix, and even getting some embers without paying for them, why not craft and sell them.

I see, thanks for the info.

My Lana was level 50, I am just not very good.

If I am playing and doing conquests, and earning the bulk of the stuff for crafting, like matrix, and even getting some embers without paying for them, why not craft and sell them.

I don't know, I have never been in a position where the cost, in materials, and time, both raw waiting and failed RE attempts, made sense for me. But, as you've already learned the schematics, and you say you have lots of materials, then more power to you.

People buy the named sets once for the achievements, or the cosmetics, but none of the crafted sets are terribly useful in content, except for Force Bound for tank guardians/juggernauts in pvp. And since the sets are legacy bound, if you want the outfit look you only need one copy. Relics and individual item modifications drop so frequently from doing regular spoils of war content that it is simply unnecessary to buy them. Some of the crafted tacticals may be useful, Grit Teeth for sure, maybe some of the others.

Gear is so plentiful in the Spoils of War system that I have tabs and tabs of spare stuff, enough that it is easy for me to gear a fresh 75 in 306 gear from the moment they ding. I think a lot of players, at this point in 6.x's life-cycle, are in a similar state. The new-to-the-game-but-also-75 player, the ideal market for crafted gear, is probably too poor to buy your stuff for anything that would be profitable relative to the material cost. I mean you quote things being listed for 40 million (relics) or 12 million (iRating 300 DPS pieces) but what newbie has that much? They're listed for that much, but do they actually sell at those prices? Perhaps I'm just too upset at the whole crafting debacle of 6.0 entirely to see a potential market beyond biochem consumables, but when grinding-item-rating quality stuff required expensive exotic materials, I was done. I can't afford to sell those things at a price the target market is able to pay.

If you find a market and make a profit, you are genuinely a savvier businessperson than I, and I wish you luck. My reply is meant more as a thinly veiled complaint to Bioware about the backwards design of the Spoils of War crafting system, than to discourage you from trying.

I see, but I wasn't talking sets, I was talking armorings.

I honestly don't know, but in the last 3 hours, I have gotten like 8 680 crafting missions from my toon with level 50 Lana and slicing, and then gotten about 5 embers, I have 24 of them now, 212 solid, and 98 superior matrix, seems a waste to just let them sit in inventory doing nothing.

I honestly don't know, but in the last 3 hours, I have gotten like 8 680 crafting missions from my toon with level 50 Lana and slicing, and then gotten about 5 embers, I have 24 of them now, 212 solid, and 98 superior matrix, seems a waste to just let them sit in inventory doing nothing.

I get plenty of them (armorings) from regular play, ripping them from the gear shells, because once you get your character's average item rating above 300 you get a lot of filled shells in crates of all kinds (conquest, renown, daily missions, etc.)

I was put off by the material cost (from three tiers of assembly components) and the need for exotics very early on in the RE grind to unlock better schematics. But, as you've said you already unlocked some legendary schematics, so you've already paid that cost in time and materials lost to the RE process.

For me, I had to save most of those exotics, especially Legendary Embers, not just for my own personal crafted armor sets and crafted Tactical Items, but also for augments, since the 286 augments require Embers to make, even though they are purple. I mean in reality, you need so many materials to make Augmentation Components, and then the kits, and then all the assembly components needed to make the augments. So for me, knowing I needed to save the embers and other exotics for augments, plus the materials cost, it wasn't worth it.

Edited by phalczen

Whereas I am the opposite, the last time I stopped playing was because of the gearing, as a solo player it takes forever to get stuff, and then having to take stuff I did not want just because it was slightly better is what put me off.

That is why I got fed up and crafted armourings, mods, enhancements, and relics rated 296.

As for augments, I have a bunch of old MK10s, no need for better, and the tacticals are the ones I like from fleet, like ball lighting adds a DOT.

Whereas I am the opposite, the last time I stopped playing was because of the gearing, as a solo player it takes forever to get stuff, and then having to take stuff I did not want just because it was slightly better is what put me off.

That is why I got fed up and crafted armourings, mods, enhancements, and relics rated 296.

Except that, as you found, when you get to about that point, getting the next level becomes unreasonably expensive in materials because of the low schematic learning rate.

On the other hand, I found that it really didn't take all that long to get 306-weight stuff. Play things you like, gather gear from e.g. solo FPs, deconstruct the stuff that isn't an improvement, earn your 50K conquest for conquest crates, etc. and accumulate Tech Frags for the middle vendor in the second-to-last bay on the Fleet. That vendor sells random stuff that's always better than your average(1) - buy for the worst slot you have to increase your average.

(1) Well, until you reach 306, obviously.

Well since the original goal was to make money you could just sell those mats on the gtn when you see a price you like. Simple and no cost in credits or time except the gtn fee. If you have time and like to craft then you should try the armoring (since you mentioned that specifically). If you dip your toe in that and have a good experience, expand to other 306's. I will just point out that the gear tier has been out nearly 2 years now so expect a market saturated with competition.

Except that, as you found, when you get to about that point, getting the next level becomes unreasonably expensive in materials because of the low schematic learning rate.

On the other hand, I found that it really didn't take all that long to get 306-weight stuff. Play things you like, gather gear from e.g. solo FPs, deconstruct the stuff that isn't an improvement, earn your 50K conquest for conquest crates, etc. and accumulate Tech Frags for the middle vendor in the second-to-last bay on the Fleet. That vendor sells random stuff that's always better than your average(1) - buy for the worst slot you have to increase your average.

(1) Well, until you reach 306, obviously.

I wanted to learn the 306 schematics just for the sake of learning them --- not only did that seem impractical but I spend more time juggling and sorting the 306 gear and set pieces to bother.

If credits are the primary goal - selling the mats is not only more efficient but more likely to actually sell. While I probably spent upwards of 200 million buying 306 pieces to speed up the climb to 306, I've spent far more rolling amplifiers in gear that's dropped for me since then. The market for crafted gear is effectively returning players that are subbed and have credits to spend so while you might see some nice looking pricetags the real question is how many times has that user had to post them since actually making them.

The mats on the other hand can go into a lot of other more useful things like stims or crafted tacticals or augs. If you do want to still craft something -- augments and augments kits (286 and mk11 respectively) are crafted items that are constantly in need.

I wanted to learn the 306 schematics just for the sake of learning them --- not only did that seem impractical but I spend more time juggling and sorting the 306 gear and set pieces to bother.

I won't bother including the rest of your post, because I wanted enough so people can see what I'm citing without including the whole thing.

It's a pretty good summary of the situation, frankly. :ph_good_post:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to just put up or shut up, I made 4 300 rating armourings, it took a bit over a week, and after tax I sold all 4 of them from between 8.2 to 9 million credits each.

Do the armour parts with amps stack, I got like 4 of them for crit synth and seem to never get extra stuff, even the green parts.

Edited by AussieAlan

Well I decided to just put up or shut up, I made 4 300 rating armourings, it took a bit over a week, and after tax I sold all 4 of them from between 8.2 to 9 million credits each.

OK, but how much did it cost you to make them? All-up cost: crew-skill sourced material, the various "white" materials (even though most of them aren't "white" in Grade 11), and the exotica that are required on top.

Note: I'm just talking about the incremental cost of making the next one, not the amortised cost of development, how much it cost to get from 270 to 300.

Do the armour parts with amps stack, I got like 4 of them for crit synth and seem to never get extra stuff, even the green parts.

The "Crit craft" amps don't work. I mean, like, not at all.

No clue how much it cost, had most of the mats already, so doubt it was much.

Well I made 5 more 300 armourings and ended up 8 on just one level 50 toons.

So how come I got some cheap mods that have, oh I forget but the amount of affection my toons get from gifts work, but not the crit crafting.

Edited by AussieAlan

No clue how much it cost, had most of the mats already, so doubt it was much.

Well I made 5 more 300 armourings and ended up 8 on just one level 50 toons.

So how come I got some cheap mods that have, oh I forget but the amount of affection my toons get from gifts work, but not the crit crafting.

The answer is that no one knows if critical (blank) amps are working properly, because Bioware has never told us what the +10 means. It’s probably not whole percentage points, because then a full suit would give like +90% chance which anyway you slice it should be a near doubling of critical outcomes, far more than what people are seeing. So if it’s working at all, it’s a very small increase, in which case you would probably need to do tens of thousands of crafts to see a statistically significant difference. Bioware in its 6.0 crafting wisdom made certain to ensure it would be extraordinarily difficult to craft that much in any decent amount of time.

• 2 weeks later...

This is anecdotal of course but I have a full set (with main and off-hands too) of +10 crit to Artifice, Biochem, Armormech and I believe also for both Cybertech and Armstech as well. My artificer is in a crafter-friendly guild and almost always crits while the rest still crit significantly higher than if they don't wear their sets.

Just based off of my anecdotal experience I will say that the +10 crit bonus is at the very least bigger than a small increase (as a full set anyway).

Edited by JYthelifesaver