My experience with GSF as a new (GSF) player

Ahwassa

I play SWTOR since 5 years and I never even wanted to try GSF because it´s so completly different from everything else. My first game was just me crashing into stuff and dying and slowly trying to get to where the action was at. So I never tried again. Years later I wanted to try again because cheevos. And I heard that you can play healer and I love healing.

Soo I´m now 20 games in, 8 ships at least at T3 and I have to say it surprisingly fun. (I´m still trying to find my preferred ship though.)

I use this for my builds http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=729222. Hope thats still ok?

What I would suggest to change though:

- make the last upgrades cheaper

It will now take many weeklys to max out everything. And I want to so that I can choose which ship I like the most.

- rework the tutorial - maybe one for each ship type?

I still don´t know how to shoot the secondary weapons. Sometimes I snipe things? Sometime I don´t shoot?

- make the exchange for currencies cheaper or free

I have green currency on many ships (IDK how I got it) but I want the purple one for the ship I´m flying.

But it costs cc to exchange that.

Thank you :)

Edited by Ahwassa

Glad to hear you having fun! It can be terrible to figure GSF out. Once you do, it is awesome. As you noticed,It throws you right to the deep end from the get go,it can be rough to learn the basics at deep end.

I still don´t know how to shoot the secondary weapons. Sometimes I snipe things? Sometime I don´t shoot?

It depens on secondary weapon selected. If you are using missiles, press right mouse button down to begin acquiring a lock. Once lock is established, release RMB to fire. Depending on missile, it'l take you like 2-3 seconds to acquire lock. Sound will indicate once lock is established. You have to keep aiming at the enemy until lock is established. Those two big blue circles at center of your screen are your firing arcs. Larger circle is firing arc of your lasers. Smaller arc is for missiles. You must keep enemy inside this smaller arc in order to acquire the target lock.

For Gunships, clicking RMB produces the scope of your railgun. When in snipe mode, keep LMB pressed down to charge railgun, release to fire. Mouse wheel zooms in and out when you have scope of GS filling your screen. Zoom sounds pretty nice in theory, but in practice it is best to get used to firing from max. zoom out.

Some scouts might have rocket pods as a secondary, one can think of pods as slow moving hard hitting lasers for close range combat. For bombers, RMB typically drops mines.

Posts you are using for builds is obsolete! Take it all with heavy grains of salt. Most of it is prolly somewhat functional, but you can do better. There was a huge patch to GSF around 2018, changed components, builds. Vulkk's site has current recommendations. However, iirc some of Vulkk's builds are pretty..specialized let's say. As opposed to starter friendly. In general, pay attention to dates guides are written. Ones made before 2018 won't serve you well when it comes to stuff like component recommendations.

Following is prolly subjective but hey,

Rycer/starguard and Quell/Pike are very versatile and lethal ships and prolly best options for learning GSF in. Fairly easy to fly to boot.

I just wrote about my Starguard/Rycer build in another thread, Components listed here amount to a good and a starter friendly build I claims.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9938234&postcount=9

However, you might really wanna switch concussion missiles for Proton torps as mentioned in that post. Concussion missiles aren't bad or anything, but I'm using them purely for sake of variety there. Proton torpedos are very good rn, generally good idea to use those. Cluster missiles are lackluster in most situations, however, using those might be efficient in teaching you the..logic of missiles and get used at firing them.

If you rather use Pike/Quell, it is a great idea to build it around heavy lasers, EMP missiles and Proton torpedoes. Use EMP to disable engines, proton torpedo to ruin their day and finish up with heavies. You have very easy time operating this build once you get used to firing missiles. For Pike, use either barrel roll or koi. turn for engine. KT for defensive play, Barrel Roll for more mobile, offensive hit and fade stuff.

If you wanna start your GSF healer career,(which idd is a valid path to pursue just as well), there are three options available for you.

Rep/Imp

Clarion/Imperium - Strikefighter

Spearpoint/Bloodmark - Scout

Warcarrier/Legion - Bomber

Scout and bomber healers both rely on drones - You drop a nifty small healer drone to a good location and your teammates come visit your little gas station for heals and ammo. This can be very handy, but enemies can easily target and destroy your drone.

Clarion/Imp healer is different. There, your heal is an AoE heal-over-time spell, basically. Enemies can do nothing about it. Affects yourself and your friends that are close enough. Very useful in heat of combat. Drone based healing is more about maintanence inbetween fights.

GSF doesn't tell you much about condition of your friends. One has to figure out when to heal via sheer instinct and experience. All healing can also restore ammo, ppl will love you for it.

Green currency is ship req. Purple is fleet req. Basically, use purple for buying ships and crew. Once you have em all, use it for components. Green is ship specific and used for upgrading each ship. Purple is universal and can be used for any ships. But idd, priotize buying ships themselves. Popping daily and weekly mission reward tokens gives you green currency for all ships you own, even if you dont yet use them.

There is a GSF tutorial event of sorts coming up:

If time and date suits you, show up!

Entire channel is great for learning GSF. However, videos are out of date. They do great job at covering the basics. However, ignore everything they say about ship balance, which ship is great, which isn't. those aspects are obsolete.

Edited by Stradlin

Thanks for the resources.

But GOD NOOOOOOOO - I´m sure I wasted the requisition stuff on the wrong things.

Mmmaybe. Some builds still rely on more or less the same components and are working out just fine! Just that the components work bit differently now. Some of the old builds are just a no go tho.

You rly wanna make sure your Quell and Bloodmark have EMP missiles for one thing.

Edited by Stradlin

Keep in mind that if you play for long enough the selection of "wasted" requisition diminishes. There are components that are most competitive, or that are easiest for a beginner to use, but there plenty that are just fine, and a minority that are actually bad.

Pretty much anything that you see in a guide that was of decent quality at the time it was written should still work. Maybe not as well as it used to, but ok. Mostly what happened with 5.5 is that a enormous amount of things that didn't work before started to work quite well.

Did you get Concussion Missile on your Pike or Quell instead of EMP missile? Don't worry about it. Sure, it's a weaker team utility, but for most matches it'll do just fine for blowing up enemy ships. Took Thermite Torpedo on a scout instead of EMP Missile? Well, it's less useful overall, but again, it's still perfectly capable of hitting a target and doing enough damage to be worth it.

Even if you take say, some of the weakest engine or shield choices, it's not the end of the world. One or two weekly mission rewards, and you should be mostly caught up to where you would have been if you had made a better choice.

GSF doesn't really do gear resets, so the penalty for getting gearing wrong is in a lot softer in some ways than the ground game. Play long enough, and you'll be able to unlock everything on every ship on multiple characters. The other nice thing is that practice counts for more than gear by a large margin in GSF. My the right choices while flying, and any wrong choices in gearing shouldn't matter all that much.

Honestly, I am really thankful to Galactic Seasons for coercing me into Galactic Starfighter. It's been a blast and has breathed new life into my SWTOR experience. It's rough for the first 3-5 matches, if you match hardcores. But once you start getting unlocks the experience is very much enjoyable. At least for me. Just wish the CM ships weren't so expensive. 15 dollars a pop, and you gotta buy em multiple times I assume since I can't seem to find them in the collections menu.

45 games and my motivation has decreased a little.

There are some times where my team gets obliterated and spawn killed in seconds.

I guess I shouldn´t queue in the late evening ...

Try finding few people to group with. Vet pilots are usually happy to fly with newer pilots. You just have to reach out. Lots of uneven matches to be had, sure. Unfortunately. It is the natue of unranked pvp. And ranked pvp too ig. The good matches tho..are SO good. In bad and uneven matches, some find it bearable or even fun if they turn it into some sort of a ..personal learning experience. That way, it isn't completely wasted. Jump into a scout and see how well you can dodge and frustrsate the bored enemy aces.If it is a 26-2 DM on its way towards 50-3 DM, it is safe to stop trying to win and start making your defeat into a story to remember!

You've seen all the essential online guides and such? I bet you past basics, but stuff such a sbuild guides in Jinnora's manual are prolly a very good read!

teaches you a great deal about flight basics. Entire channel has lots of useful videos made to teach you GSF.

Literal GSF Manual written by Jinnora. < - -**Has good and up to date ship build recommendations**

There's gonna be a GSF tutorial event on SF soon.

Edited by Stradlin

Honestly, I am really thankful to Galactic Seasons for coercing me into Galactic Starfighter. It's been a blast and has breathed new life into my SWTOR experience. It's rough for the first 3-5 matches, if you match hardcores. But once you start getting unlocks the experience is very much enjoyable. At least for me. Just wish the CM ships weren't so expensive. 15 dollars a pop, and you gotta buy em multiple times I assume since I can't seem to find them in the collections menu.

You don't need the CM ships.

• 2 weeks later...

200 games in and I found my favourite ships: Dustmaker and Mangler because my team gets spawnkilled so much.

I´m starting to think it´s not the game mode why it´s so unpopular. It´s because of the players.

My 2nd favorite ships are Imperium and maybe Legion/Decimus.

Don´t get me wrong, some games are really enjoyable, especially the close ones. (I get these games when I list with guildies who have more plan than me.)

But some days you have 5 games in a row where you spawn in enemy mines and drones and get sniped before you can do anything. And since it took me a while to realize you can change spawn points, this is probably very infuriating for new players.

These games are the reason why I just want to equip all ships and then never play again.

200 games in and I found my favourite ships: Dustmaker and Mangler because my team gets spawnkilled so much.

I´m starting to think it´s not the game mode why it´s so unpopular. It´s because of the players.

My 2nd favorite ships are Imperium and maybe Legion/Decimus.

Don´t get me wrong, some games are really enjoyable, especially the close ones. (I get these games when I list with guildies who have more plan than me.)

But some days you have 5 games in a row where you spawn in enemy mines and drones and get sniped before you can do anything. And since it took me a while to realize you can change spawn points, this is probably very infuriating for new players.

These games are the reason why I just want to equip all ships and then never play again.

100% its the players. GSF is a complex game mode that you can't just come into, smash buttons, and compete with the seasoned veterans. It takes knowledge and skill to succeed, which in turn take tenacity, patience, and determination. I sucked when I started, and I certainly haven't had the fastest progress rate. But now, I sit comfortably winning 70% of the games I play. Vast majority solo. So it can be done, and then it becomes a lot more enjoyable. But... it still frustrating at times. Definitely.

Btw the Manlger is good, the Dustmaker, not so much. Stick to the Mangler.

GSF is a complex game mode that you can't just come into, smash buttons, and compete with the seasoned veterans.

I don´t have a problem with veteran players. I have one with spawn campers.

I don´t have a problem with veteran players. I have one with spawn campers.

That tends to be something that happens when one team is significantly weaker than the other. They get pushed back, and you can't go further back than the spawn, so that's where the battle happens.

I can dig up some videos of me dealing with spawn camping stomps if you like? So you can see what I do and how I handle it.

That tends to be something that happens when one team is significantly weaker than the other. They get pushed back, and you can't go further back than the spawn, so that's where the battle happens.

I can dig up some videos of me dealing with spawn camping stomps if you like? So you can see what I do and how I handle it.

Thanks, but no thanks. I´m not interested in a game mode where spawn camping is accepted.

Maybe it´s just me but I´ve never done it in FPS and I won´t start here.

I´ll equip all ships and then do something else.

Thanks, but no thanks. I´m not interested in a game mode where spawn camping is accepted.

Trust me, it’s not that spawn camping is accepted. It’s mostly that it just happens, and there are only a handful of ways to deal with it. Eventually, if you stick with GSF, you’ll figure out how to get around it.

thanks, but no thanks. I´m not interested in a game mode where spawn camping is accepted.

bye

No one asked you to.

i´ll equip all ships and then do something else.

bye

Edited by ThreeLessons

snip

Maybe...just maybe...try not being an a**hole toward the newer players. That’s always a good option to take for the health of this already dwindling community. That player has legitimate concerns that, let’s face it, we’ve all experienced at some point.

Please ignore Three Lessons, there is no need for that. For the most part, the GSF establishment are nice guys willing to help.

This may not change your mind, but let me give you a bit of back-ground on why spawn camping happens. There was a time - before my time in fact - when the capital ships (the big ships you spawn next to) would one-shot enemy targets who came too close to the spawn area. I want to say this roughly happens at around 10k from the cap ship. If you want to know what this is like, try going close to the enemy capital ship in a Domination match. They still function that way in Domination. The idea was that it would stop spawn camping in Team Death Match. Which it did. But, unfortunately it presented a bigger problem. Teams would get a narrow lead of a few kills, and then fall back to their Capital ships and wait the timer out. The opposing team can do nothing about it.

Spawn camping is an unwanted ugly side effect of removing the ability of the capital ships to one-shot enemy target's in range. But, its still the lesser to two evils.

As already said, people don't go into a game intending to spawn camp. You in fact cannot spawn camp a team that is stronger. It happens because one team is significantly weaker. I have seen teams being spawn camped, and then one Ace joins the battle, and turns the tide. The battle completely changes and the match moves off the spawn. It is possible to deal with it and still come away looking good, and there are many veteran players who would be willing to train / help / coach you. All depends how much desire you have to get better. The better you get, the less chance this happens to you. I know this sounds like "get good," but the simple fact of the matter is, that any player with a 70%, 80% or even 90% win ratio (solo queuing) is not getting spawn camped that much, because they have that much of an impact on the game. In fact, any of those players will tell you that a TDM (Team Death Match - which is where spawn camping happens) is easier to carry than a Domination (where spawn camping doesn't happen).

I hope you stick around, but if you don't , thank you for trying the game mode.

Edited by Ttoilleekul