Update on the Legacy of the Sith

KeithKanneg

Best decision possible would be to not announce a release date way too early. Keep defending bad business practices all you like, doesn't make you right. :).

edit: the problem is amounted ten-fold because you cannot pre-order this expansion, its a subscription based game, which people get the subscription early to prepare for the expansion. Stop, I repeat, Stop blaming the customers for bad business practices on bioware's part. It's insulting.

okay and I'm sure you weren't one of the people complaining they didn't announce it months and months ago. Since the forums were full of people angry that there wasn't a release date yet. And I advocated for them to wait, since their updates/expansions often get delayed. And here we are delayed. So how would you like it? 3 months in advance, 1 month, 1 week? either way you wouldn't be happy and the only insult is players thinking they've been taken advantage of. no one forced anyone to get a sub early

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best decision possible would be to not announce a release date way too early. Keep defending bad business practices all you like, doesn't make you right. :)

Imagine if Disney did this with a theme park opening. People would have made non-refundable travel arraignments, scheduled their vacations, made promises to their kids, and more.

People make decisions that cost them time and money based on announcements like the one the BioWare made about the 7.0 launch date. Their failure to meet their own self-imposed deadline is a problem that has cost people who based their decision on whether or not schedule their vacation or spend their money on a subsection to this game.

The decision to wait until the last minute to make an announcement like this, while better than deciding to launch with a defective product, is still a bad thing, and it has adversely impacted people like those who have posted in this thread that they subscribed or resubscribed because of their reliance on the statements made by BioWare.

Normally I can accept delay announcements as in most cases they are understandable, and this is the case here. The expac is a hot mess which makes pushing it back understandable.

However, it's been known for weeks that 7.0 was not doing well, and probably shouldn't be called an anniversary. I know my wife would make me disappear if I told her we're celebrating our anniversary 2 months late. She would let me off if I'd been open and honest in advance, but if I waited until three (3) days before... You can imagine. Especially if I knew that there were major issues that couldn't be resolved in time. Three days feels to me like either a) they're too scared to be open, or b) continue to push their responsibilities to the community back.

Given the past actions of the studio, and the responsibility they shirk with community toxicity, my guess is they were either going to Cyberpunk us, or try to not take responsibility until they realized they're in trouble. The lack of transparency is horrifying at this point.

I feel like the time was used up to keep the number of returning subscribers rising. It feels 100% dishonest.

so now we've gone from a week to 3 days notice? nice try. it is not 100% honest. they no doubt worked their butts off to meet this release date. When they realized, with all the feedback from the pts (and changes based off that), they needed more time, they told us right away. I'm sure they just came to the decision today and yesterday evening at the earliest. And yes its two months, but I'm sure that's more time than needed. better to have more time than less and delay again

Imagine if Disney did this with a theme park opening. People would have made non-refundable travel arraignments, scheduled their vacations, made promises to their kids, and more.

People make decisions that cost them time and money based on announcements like the one the BioWare made about the 7.0 launch date. Their failure to meet their own self-imposed deadline is a problem that has cost people who based their decision on whether or not schedule their vacation or spend their money on a subsection to this game.

The decision to wait until the last minute to make an announcement like this, while better than deciding to launch with a defective product, is still a bad thing, and it has adversely impacted people like those who have posted in this thread that they subscribed or resubscribed because of their reliance on the statements made by BioWare.

lol theme parks are known for having delays. so bad example there since that happens all the time

The last minute would be the day before or the day of. There is nothing wrong with their timing. No one forced anyone to sub early

Edited by CrazyScruffy

It has only been 3 weeks since we were given an actual date, now you need 2 months past that date? Do you guys not have project managers setting milestones and monitoring the progress of tasks? This is very unprofessional.

People were waiting for that announcement to make plans for time off, and now you've left them in the lurch.

People have been coming back to the game to prep for the expansion, now there is nothing for them to do for 2 more months, but I guess you already got their money.

And since the major announced new feature of the expansion only fully works on new characters, players can't even try and setup new characters in the interim.

The 10th Anniversary so far has been a major bust. For a game that has made over 1 billion dollars it isn't really showing.

BioWare needs to reinvest more into the game and improve existing game systems. GSF, Space Combat, Collections, and Stronghold decorating haven't been touched in ages. Class ships have been all but forgotten. Heck, our origin stories and character personalities have been all but forgotten. Companion interactions and stories are almost non-existent, even with our love interests, and most of their interactive text is outdate and doesn't make sense in the late game. They don't even change up if they are your romance either. I can't recall the last time my Inquisitor has made a comment dripping with sarcasm or shocked someone to get their compliance. You need to deliver more group-based story content like you used to through Shado of Revan. The best part of this MMO was being able to play together through Shadow of Revan. And now we are denied that so we can choice terrible choices that don't matter, Hazah!

I wish BioWare would get its act together and deliver us a great product again.

okay and I'm sure you weren't one of the people complaining they didn't announce it months and months ago. Since the forums were full of people angry that there wasn't a release date yet. And I advocated for them to wait, since their updates/expansions often get delayed. And here we are delayed. So how would you like it? 3 months in advance, 1 month, 1 week? either way you wouldn't be happy and the only insult is players thinking they've been taken advantage of. no one forced anyone to get a sub early

wrong, what you do is open a line of communication with your customers, tell them the expansion is not quite ready yet and expect an eta (or updates) over the next few months while they see where they are at. Delays happen yes, but this one was annouced and delayed not even a month apart and days before the expansion. Again yall keep making excuses for bad business practices and blaming us paying customers for it haha. :rolleyes:

Edited by SaerethDL

wrong, what you do is open a line of communication with your customers, tell them the expansion is not quite ready yet and expect an eta over the next few months while they see where they are at. Delays happen yes, but this one was annouced and delayed not even a month apart and days before the expansion. Again yall keep making excuses for bad business practices and blaming us paying customers for it haha. :rolleyes:

No excuses have been made. a logical argument on why it NEEDED to be delayed? Yes. Bad business practice would have them waiting until next week or the day of (which has happened before). Things happen, especially during a global pandemic that has slowed and delayed most things. And what you are asking for, that communication, what do you think that is today? is that not exactly what you're asking for?

Sometimes people in business need to have a skin thick enough to deal with impatient people and sometimes they can mitigate the complaints that are directed at them by maintaining a clear and transparent line of communication with their customers. BioWare is no different from other companies in this regard. People will always complain about something. It is the nature of those complaints that matter.

In this case the complaints about wanting more information were a result of a dearth available information. It was not a demand for a specific date. It was a plea for guidance so that they could make decisions in their life, or because of impatience, or whatever.

In any case, a request for information is not a request for false information. Sure, people may complain if not given them the answer that they want, but like I said, people will always complain, and it is better that they complain about an undesirable answer, that about a false one.

wrong, what you do is open a line of communication with your customers, tell them the expansion is not quite ready yet and expect an eta over the next few months while they see where they are at. Delays happen yes, but this one was annouced and delayed not even a month apart and days before the expansion. Again yall keep making excuses for bad business practices and blaming us paying customers for it haha. :rolleyes:

There has been a ton of forums posts asking them to delay it because there were quite a few problems when I was on the PTS testing it and then the announcement the other day about the combat styles not being able to be done the way they intended them to be done back when this was announced in July. When you combine all that it is probably the best solution is to delay the expansion to fix some of those problems.

I subscribed for nothing? Is that it? TWO WHOLE MONTHS?! Next time, don't give an ETA unless you are absolutely sure you will be releasing on that day.

Onslaught was short and disappointment. Now you're delaying what will be another short expansion that will need 7.X to continue.

ETA = EXPECTED time of arrival ...... it's in the freaking name ...... It's not called ASTE (absolutely sure time of arrival) ;)

Besides that. You never know for sure if a date will be achieved. I have seen delays happen on the day itself.

ETA = Estimated time of arrival ...... it's in the freaking name ...... It's not called ASTE (absolutely sure time of arrival) ;)

Besides that. You never know for sure if a date will be achieved. I have seen delays happen on the day itself.

yep exactly. no one forced anyone to sub early, especially if they claim there is nothing to do now. why did you sub early then knowing that you weren't going to play or do anything besides the new story? why not wait until the update is released and have the most playtime?

Edited by CrazyScruffy

Sometimes people in business need to have a skin thick enough to deal with impatient people and sometimes they can mitigate the complaints that are directed at them by maintaining a clear and transparent line of communication with their customers. BioWare is no different from other companies in this regard. People will always complain about something. It is the nature of those complaints that matter.

In this case the complaints about wanting more information were a result of a dearth available information. It was not a demand for a specific date. It was a plea for guidance so that they could make decisions in their life, or because of impatience, or whatever.

In any case, a request for information is not a request for false information. Sure, people may complain if not given them the answer that they want, but like I said, people will always complain, and it is better that they complain about an undesirable answer, that about a false one.

what was the false answer? they've been upfront about everything so far. have they had to clarify things? yes. And they are opening up a line of communication, thats what this whole thread is for

No excuses have been made. a logical argument on why it NEEDED to be delayed? Yes. Bad business practice would have them waiting until next week or the day of (which has happened before). Things happen, especially during a global pandemic that has slowed and delayed most things. And what you are asking for, that communication, what do you think that is today? is that not exactly what you're asking for?

lol i hate retyping everything over and over. Waiting until the last minute for communication is communication yes, but it is poor communication. People have been preparing and resubbing to get ready for 7.0 after they announced a release date 3 weeks ago and now that the expansion is days away. 3 weeks ago they should have known where they were at, the expansion should have been ready to go gold. They didn't have to tell us dec 14th if they weren't even remotely ready, they jumped the gun.. that is their fault, stop making excuses for them.

They could have initially told us we aren't ready to give out a release date and we will keep you guys updated when we are, or they could have gave themselves ample time and put the release date to feb or march and either announced a delay a month ahead or pushed it to an earlier release date if they were already ready. Again stop supporting bad business practices just because you think its the norm. It's time for change.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1209205887

The announcement for launch was made about 2 weeks ago on November 18 so that was not a long time.

The fact that they now think they need two months to get ready for launch, makes me think they had a pretty good idea that they knew they were giving us bad information when they told us to expect and plan for December 14 for it.

ETA = EXPECTED time of arrival ...... it's in the freaking name ...... It's not called ASTE (absolutely sure time of arrival) ;)

a release date is not an eta, its a hard date for release. eta is totally different

At least I can hopefully say that I'm not missing the launch of 7.0 on account of having upgraded to an Alder Lake CPU. Otherwise, I hope the addition of a couple months' development time will be used as best it can. I think we can all agree that we'd rather have a polished product than a rushed one, something the video game industry as a whole doesn't seem to understand.

• Dev Post
Hey everyone,

I just made an announcement concerning the launch of our Legacy of the Sith expansion, and I encourage you to read the blog post.

We know you will have some questions in response to the blog, so feel free to ask them here and we'll be addressing them in an FAQ later today which we will continue update as you have more questions.

Be mindful of our forum guidelines as we want to ensure we can quickly answer your concerns and keep more information flowing your way.

---Keith---

Hi everyone,

Here is the FAQ regarding the announcement made earlier today. Please note that I will be updating this post accordingly over time, so treat this as a living document. I will update this thread to indicate when this post is edited, so you know when updates are made.

Why make this change so close to the original launch date?

As a team, we take our date commitments very seriously, and everyone who works on SWTOR has been working extremely hard to deliver as we’d originally planned. This being our anniversary, we really wanted to share the awesome updates in LotS with all of you to celebrate, so we kept moving forward toward that goal as long as possible; but in the end the most important thing is quality, not the calendar.

Why delay for two months?

There isn’t any significant bug or single issue that brought this decision about. Ultimately, we want to give the team more time to add polish and to find and fix bugs to ensure we release 7.0 at maximum quality. We also want to do more to include all of you in that process – we’re very excited to have this chance to share more on the PTS, so that we can get your feedback and show you some of the changes that have already been implemented based on your past feedback.

As mentioned, the team has been working really hard to create Legacy of the Sith, and they deserve a chance to rest and recharge. Our chosen timeframe will allow the team to take a meaningful holiday break, and still have significant polish time before release.

How does this affect Conquest?

Total Galactic War will be included in the rotation and will run:

• December 21, 2021
  • January 4, 2022
  • January 18, 2022.
  • Note: The biggest relevant change is Personal Conquest requiring 100k points instead of 50k. Keep that in mind for the Conquest starting February 8th.

What’s happening with Ranked PvP Season 14?

As season 14 rewards are tied to 7.0, the current season will continue as-is, ending with the release of 7.0 on February 15, and rewards will be distributed normally when 7.0 launches in February.

Are the R-4 Anomaly Operation and the daily area for Manaan still launching after Legacy of the Sith?

Yes. We will want to give players time to be able to gear accordingly so these will be launching post Legacy of the Sith as originally intended. These are intended to be available for testing in a 7.1 PTS cycle. Exact date TBD.

What’s happening with events and their rewards? Any chance for double XP or something extra?

All of the planned new rewards will not be released as they are tied into 7.0. With that in mind here is the plan for each event:

• Life Day will run from December 14, 2021 to January 11, 2022 with current rewards.
  • The 10-Year Anniversary event will be running for a full year! From December 14, 2021 to January, 2023.
  • All existing anniversary rewards will be available on the vendor.
  • The new planned rewards will be added to the vendor in February with 7.0, including the contest winning decos!
  • We will inform players when new rewards will be added.

Additional events?!

• Our Double XP event (which also includes Renown, Requisition, and Valor) will return from December 20, 2021 - January 4, 2022.
  • All 3 weeks of Feast of Prosperity will return at the following cadence:
  • Week 1: January 11, 2022 – January 18, 2022
  • Week 2: January 18, 2022 - January 25, 2022
  • Week 3: January 25, 2022 - February 1, 2022

What’s happening with PTS?

We’re opening PTS back up this week! 7.0’s features will be present to test during this PTS cycle, with the exception of any that would spoil the story content, of course. This upcoming phase will include Loadouts and Character Creation and also all recent updates we have made since the close of the previous phase.

What’s the PTS schedule?

We will be updating our Public Test Server forum with updates as they happen. PTS will remain open until approximately mid-January as needed.

What does this mean for Galactic Seasons 2?

As Galactic Season 2 is tied to 7.0, it will not be available until Legacy of the Sith launches. However, it will be available on the PTS in the coming weeks.

Are any anniversary sales happening?

Yes! Here's the breakdown:

From December 20, 2021 to January 3, 2022

• Seasonal items will be available
  • 75% off all Collection Unlocks

From December 20, 2021 to December 27, 2021

• 50% off all Armor Sets
  • 50% off Character Slots

From December 27, 2021 to January 3, 2022

• 50% off all Mounts and Stronghold Decorations

EDIT: Added sales info

Edited by JackieKo

At least I can hopefully say that I'm not missing the launch of 7.0 on account of having upgraded to an Alder Lake CPU. Otherwise, I hope the addition of a couple months' development time will be used as best it can. I think we can all agree that we'd rather have a polished product than a rushed one, something the video game industry as a whole doesn't seem to understand.

People assume this means the release will come out polished.. this doesn't go hand in hand. It could still very well be a buggy mess, which it likely will be.

I, for one, am happy for this delay.

There were (and still are) too many issues and (in my opinion) not well-thought-of decisions about how the game should go on.

I was unhappy with current "ability prunning", some classes got it really bad.

Irrational change of gearing way. Why, oh why after ALL those years utilize an old-fashioned and despised-by-many form of gearing?

Failure to give the "2nd combat style to existing characters" - THAT one tells me there is significant obstacle in the engine/code to implement it properly and it would take a genius to actually make it work.

Actually I would hope it doesn't happen at all. I see it as totally useless (in the form it was presented to us so far.

Last but not least I will have 2 more months to enjoy my Apex Predator and Endless Offensive sets, finally!

I, for one, am happy for this delay.

There were (and still are) too many issues and (in my opinion) not well-thought-of decisions about how the game should go on.

I was unhappy with current "ability prunning", some classes got it really bad.

Irrational change of gearing way. Why, oh why after ALL those years utilize an old-fashioned and despised-by-many form of gearing?

Failure to give the "2nd combat style to existing characters" - THAT one tells me there is significant obstacle in the engine/code to implement it properly and it would take a genius to actually make it work.

Actually I would hope it doesn't happen at all. I see it as totally useless (in the form it was presented to us so far.

Last but not least I will have 2 more months to enjoy my Apex Predator and Endless Offensive sets, finally!

none of this will change, you're just putting off the inevitable

A delay is always for the better but announcing it a week before the release is some high-level BS. If you need 2 more months then you knew that 2 weeks ago too when announcing the oroginal Dec 14 date.

And the Operation/Daily Area get delayed too lol. So more nothing till February. All in all the Grand 10th Anniversary sure turned out to be some nonsense

Edited by Pietrastor

The point about giving the devs a chance to rest and recharge is especially important considering how badly crunch has affected some other games over the past few years. 2021 has been a year, we could all use a break.

Glad to see we're still getting the life day event and some double xp to fill the gap.

Also excited to finally try out loadouts on the PTS, I know a lot of players have been looking forward to that feature in particular.

Why make this change so close to the original launch date?

but in the end the most important thing is quality, not the calendar.

Then stop giving us release dates when you are not ready since the calendar doesn't matter. :D

Edited by SaerethDL