How to beat Vaylin in Chapter 9

Aracyli

This is the dumbest fight ever. The developers just wanted you to die over and over until you get frustrated and quit. I have tried this about 50 times and you either die in 5 seconds or you die in 25 seconds. pulling her to the green health pools works wonders but you do not get sprint and she has a force jump that clears any distance and obstacle. once she trashes you on the ground you can say the fight is over as you will be almost dead and she will follow up with a blast or jump that will finish you off. Oh and this is on story mode not vet or master. This is total crap I just wanted to finish the dang story. Gees.

This is the dumbest fight ever. The developers just wanted you to die over and over until you get frustrated and quit. I have tried this about 50 times and you either die in 5 seconds or you die in 25 seconds. pulling her to the green health pools works wonders but you do not get sprint and she has a force jump that clears any distance and obstacle. once she trashes you on the ground you can say the fight is over as you will be almost dead and she will follow up with a blast or jump that will finish you off. Oh and this is on story mode not vet or master. This is total crap I just wanted to finish the dang story. Gees.

Then read all the advice published in all the threads about this fight. And follow the advice. Recap below.

First part: As solo boss fights in SWTOR go, this is mechanics-heavy. Measured against Ops bosses or Master Mode FP bosses, or almost any boss fight in GW2, the mechanics are almost non-existent, but they *are* significantly heavier than you normally find in SWTOR solo boss fights. (Exceptions: Arcann in Chapter XVI, that one droid in Chapter XIV, the Gemini Captain in Chapter XV, and Vaylin herself in Chapter VIII(ET).)

Second part: how do we beat the mechanics?

There are three main mechanics: damage reflection, a huge knockback and the bouncy thing called Force Slam.

Fight her up close, inside the purple circle attached to her feet. If you fight her from further away, she reflects your attacks and you hurt yourself instead of her. If you're dying really, really fast, this is probably what's doing you in. That is, you are killing yourself.

Force Slam is simple to deal with. This is the ability where you are stunned and she is slamming you up and down, doing huge damage each time you hit the ground. All classes have a "stun break" ability. The tooltip will say something similar to "Purges incapacitating effects". Find yours, put it somewhere useful on your action bars, and use it to counter Force Slam. Do not use it for anything else, because you absolutely don't want it on cooldown when she launches Force Slam.

There is another way to get stunned, of course, so don't get stunned by that other means. Fortunately, it's entirely avoidable.

From time to time, on some condition or other that I haven't needed to find out what it is, she will curl up into a ball and float in the air. She stays like this for about ten seconds (with a cast bar), then launches a huge knockback. If you happen to be thrown into a wall or something, you are stunned for a bit. (This is the stun that's entirely avoidable.) If not, you will learn that HK-55 was right. Meatbags can't fly. (That is, you'll be thrown over the edge of the floating island and you'll die.)

So during those ten seconds, instead of attacking her, run away. There will be a (large) (possibly hard to see) red circle on the floor, with a raised edge that is much easier to see (much like Arcann's yellow cast zones in Chapter XVI). Get beyond that edge. Ten seconds is plenty of time to do this, even on classes like Commando that don't have an ability like "Force Speed". Once outside the red zone, wait for her to finish, or go looking for a green circle to heal yourself.

If you have self-heal abilities, use them as necessary. If you can position yourself so that, after casting the knockback, she approaches you through a green circle, so much the better. She'll take damage equal to 20-25% of her max health each time. If not, then at least touch them yourself while you wait for her to cast the knockback, so that they heal you.

Use damage-reflect abilities against her, if you have them. Use other defensive abilities as necessary. Review and adjust your utility abilities in the "K" panel. Review your gear, and get rid of tank pieces (defense/absorb/shield) if you're not a tank discipline, or add them if you are. In the same vein, tanks should equip Shields, and non-tanks should equip the other thing. Tweak and update your gear to get the best results. Use stiims (Purple requires-level-61 Advanced Versatile Polybiotic for DPS, for example) to give yourself a boost. Bring a medpack. Repair your gear.

• 5 months later...
After dying a few times i logged out and looked up the fight. Logged back in and didn't bother to attack. I just dragged her into the healing circles which give her major damage. She died quickly that way. Don't waste time trying to fight her when the healing circles do more damage than i could. I'M a Jedi Sage.
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
This aint FUN, it aint EASY, it's FRUSTRATIN as all HELL!!! It aint FAIR or even BALANCED!!!! She's just WAY TOO DAMN POWERFUL!!! WHOEVER made this chapter is a TOTAL SADISTIC IDIOTIC MORON!!!! She has an almost IMPOSSIBLE amount of HIT POINTS!!!! IF I EVER F**KIN RUN INTO THE A**HOLE WHO CREATED THIS CHAPTER.....I'M PUNCHIN EM RIGHT IN THIER F**KIN MOUTH!!!! (MAYBE they're just OVERCOMPENSATIN for somethin ELSE that's bit too SMALL!!!) Edited by mikelluck

You do know if you choose the DS choice and keep Dramath imprisoned he helps you fight her and acts as your companion making this fight a walk in the park, even before knowing this and fighting her on my own I never had trouble at all. Line her up to get hit by the healing spheres and get out of the big red aoe.

I have done this chapter countless times and only twice did I have Dramath because it fit with the way my character was going. I have over 12 characters and they all have gone through this chapter. I have at least one of each class so it is not hard if you pay attention to what you are doing.

One thing I will say: check your gear. If you haven't upgrade your gear since the very beginning (when you first started playing) you might want to do that. I am not saying you haven't, just there have been instances that some haven't and that could cause a problem.

Edited by casirabit

This aint FUN, it aint EASY, it's FRUSTRATIN as all HELL!!! It aint FAIR or even BALANCED!!!! ((Snip the rest because it is even more "just a rant" than the above))

Fun is subjective, so I'm not going to comment on that aspect.

Easy depends on the player, although this one isn't *so* easy that you can *just* repeatedly head-butt your keyboard to win it. That said, *all* the information you need is *either* presented in-game *or* (to make it less annoying) in this and what feels like several thousand other threads on these forums.

Is is "fair"? Well, all the information that is *necessary* is presented in-game. You can read about all your abilities, your utilities, any special effects of your weapon(s) and other equipment, any buffs or debuffs that she has or you have, and so on. It's fairly obvious that if she's curled up in a ball and floating in the air, she's not getting ready to tickle you playfully, and so on. More to the point, those abilities that you have are *sufficient* to enable you to win. Yes, you have to do a bit more than just spamming your basic attack - knowing how your character's abilities work is important - but I'm not trying to say, "git gud, scrub!".(1)

Balanced? Well, it's beatable without being a toppest-tier NiM raider, which is all that's required.

And if you Darked out Lord D in Chapter VII, you even have a companion who can heal you.

(1) I've tried that multiple times, and it always says this (warning: nerdy programmer's joke(2)):

git: 'gud' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

The most similar command is
add

(2) I'm trying to lighten the mood a little.

I definately GET that what you said, & I dont totally disagree, but I'm NO newbie either.....I've been playing RPGs & MMOs for over 12 years now, (I also play EQ2 as well), & I've been playing this game for over 6 years now, but I've never played this expansion before. I've read & watched ALL the online tutorials, ALL the "How to"you tube videos, & even tried the ledge cheat......I've tried it for more than 6 hours straight over the last few days....I've come CLOSE to it several times, getting her down to a nick, but STILL, she ALWAYS manages to kill me....MAYBE if the IDIOTS who made this chapter ALLOWED me a SHORTER COOL DOWN time on my med packs, (& Yes, I do the green circles too), or at least let her RETAIN at least SOME of the damage I did BEFORE I died (AGAIN & AGAIN....add INFINITUM), MAYBE I could FINALLY do it.....c'mon now...1 MILLION, 130 THOUSAND, 759 HIT POINTS? REALLY? WHY didn't they just make her a WORLD BOSS for that matter then? REALLY Bio-Ware? I got really GOOD armour, TOP weapons, all with really GOOD stats, DECENT buffs, (This 'toon's a LS Sith warrior) I'm lvl 73, & I'm STILL havin trouble with her!!! I'm gonna try it again today....but IF I CANT kill her after a few more hours today....I'M TOTALLY DONE with this!!!! WHAT AN EXERCISE IN FRUSTRATION!!! I just CANT enjoy the game when it aint FUN no more. I certainly DONT mind a good CHALLENGE.....but NOT a damn aggrivating CHORE!!! (THAT'S what I got a JOB & a WIFE for!!! LOL) I dont need it in a GAME also!!!! IF I ever DO finally kill her, it WONT be an ACCOMPLISHMENT...it'll be a RELEIF!!!! Whoever created THIS chapter must be smokin some really GREAT stuff!!! Edited by mikelluck

I definately GET that what you said. I'm NO newbie.....I've been playing RPGs for over 12 years now, (I also play EQ2 as well), & I've been playing this game for over 6 years now, but I've never played this expansion before. I've read & watched ALL the tutorials, ALL the "How to's", & even tried the ledge cheat......I've tried it for over 6 hours straight over the last few days....I've come CLOSE to it several times, getting her down to a nick, but STILL, she ALWAYS manages to kill me....MAYBE if the IDIOTS who made this chapter ALLOWED me a SHORTER COOL DOWN time on my med packs, (& Yes, I do the green circles too), or at least let her RETAIN at least SOME of the damage I did BEFORE I died (AGAIN & AGAIN....) MAYBE I could FINALLY do it.....c'mon now...1 MILLION, 130 THOUSAND, 759 HIT POINTS? REALLY? WHY didn't they just make her a WORLD BOSS for that matter then? REALLY Bio-Ware? I got really GOOD armour, TOP weapons, all with really GOOD stats, DECENT buffs, (This 'toon's a LS Sith warrior) I'm lvl 73, & I'm STILL havin trouble with her!!! I'm gonna try it again today....but IF I CANT kill her after a few more hours today....I'M TOTALLY DONE with this!!!! WHAT AN EXERCISE IN FRUSTRATION!!! I just CANT enjoy the game when it aint FUN no more. I certainly DONT mind a CHALLENGE.....but NOT a damn CHORE!!! (THAT'S what I got a JOB & A WIFE for!!! LOL) I dont need it in a GAME also!!!! IF I ever DO finally kill her, it WONT be an ACCOMPLISHMENT...it'll be a RELEIF!!!! Whoever created THIS chapter must be smokin some really GREAT stuff!!!

You do know you can group up and have other people come in and help you right?

• 1 year later...
But I'm STILL gonna punch the person who made this chapter in the mouth IF I ever see em, (Which I strongly doubt!!!) (LOL)

Feh, why stop there? After dying repeatedly and being stuck there for several years to the point of dropping SWTOR completely for multiple years, in the near-impossible event I met one of the chapter designers, I would do FAR WORSE than punch them in the mouth.

And another thing; why did those who chose the Dark Side get rewarded with a companion to fight Vaylin? "Oh look! You did a good thing and chose the Dark Side and imprisoned the dark lord to be your slave! Attaboy! Now you get help fighting Vaylin's spirit while the Light Siders can go suck eggs!"

One of the times a dark side choice is meaningful. My holier than though jedi and republic servants will choose it every time.

Also bioware loves to troll it's players.......

One of the times a dark side choice is meaningful. My holier than though jedi and republic servants will choose it every time.

The very first time I went through that part was on a Sorcerer. Yerka Kolar, Darth Noxette, is as black-hearted as they come, and yet she let him go. Why, though?

Well, darling Yerka is given to bouts of creepy-crawly paranoia, one of which was at that exact moment, and in any case she is disinclined to trust random Sith ghosts, so off he went.

• 3 months later...
You do know you can group up and have other people come in and help you right?

I've recently returned to SWTOR and haven't played in a LONG time. I did not know this although it is obvious in hindsight. I asked a member of my guild to jump in and help me and the fight took less than 2 minutes.

THANK YOU

• 1 year later...

THANK YOU!

I died a lot - over 21K in repairs - before exiting the scene and boosting my gear. I read all the posts here AND dragged my husband in to help (he prolly did not want another kvetch session from me). I died once by dropping over the edge, but his Jugg AND HIS COMPANION stayed in the fight. I'm pretty confident that the fight would have been way longer without his help, but that I would have eventually figured it out, LOL.

That said, the next step gets you into a fight with Valkorian. Please read up on that fight if you can. I didn't and I had no idea what I was doing. I know that could have gone a lot better had I gained just a bit more information.