Fix ALL Flashpoints for 7.0

Just because HS, and RR won't be in GF, I'm sure we'll see people consistently looking for groups on fleet for both. You can still go to the FP terminals and do both as much as you want without bothering with GF.

I am sick of HS. It was refreshing to have done 2 RR runs recently. I was quite stoked last night when Umbara popped for me. Unfortunately, the attempted run quickly disintegrated when the supposed healer was too busy DPSing and there was a fifty-something who had never ran it before. The non-healing healer made it intolerable, even though the other one went and aggroed the two large cannons instead of going down the hatch, I would have been willing to forgive that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe... just maybe... you are not the one who defines what is considered an exploit.

thats a problem of the devs. not yours.

And you cant be serious if you really want to fight through copero city.

the fp ist long enough..

how long should a fp take? 1 hour.

you know there are people out there who have a life.

Maybe, doesn't mean I can't have a discussion about it though.

If you're gonna tell me that I don't define what an exploit is, I'll tell you the same. I don't design the flashpoints, I can just point out where I see bad design and where the bad design is abused and exploited - the time the average flashpoint takes is all up to the devs. But having introductory flashpoints that can be exploited to be completed in 10min when they should take 30min but give the same rewards is bad design that is exploited by players. An exploit inside of an exploit o.0

I'm not saying these are exploits players should be punished for using, just that they should be fixed. You can disagree all you want, but your reasoning of 'I shouldn't have to run this flashpoint, it'll take forever, you need to respect other people's time' - no, you are just entitled to easy rewards that take no time or effort. As I've said before, why even have trash mobs? All new flashpoints should just be empty corridors where you just run down empty hallways til you get to the boss - would be just about as entertaining as exploiting your way through a flashpoint...

Edited by Phaedruss

These kinds of grouping problems could be easily solved if the devs would give us a proper group finder system instead of the content corral group finder trash we have had to use for years.

Let players group up for the content they want to, with whom they want, run it how they want to, and when they want to. Instead we get crammed onto the same railcar and have shiny baubles waved in our faces to distract us from the fact that we aren't able make our own decisions on what is fun and rewarding play.

These kinds of grouping problems could be easily solved if the devs would give us a proper group finder system instead of the content corral group finder trash we have had to use for years.

Let players group up for the content they want to, with whom they want, run it how they want to, and when they want to. Instead we get crammed onto the same railcar and have shiny baubles waved in our faces to distract us from the fact that we aren't able make our own decisions on what is fun and rewarding play.

While I agree with being able to play the way you want, I don't agree with flashpoints riddled with exploits. The current group finder in vet mode is nice, because of the queue speed. But where this effects gearing with 6.0 is that you get the exact same rewards from being in hammer station for 10min that you would from being in a newer flashpoint for 30min - because of exploits. People think 7.0 will change this, but the new system only guarantees you upgrades for your first 3 runs in group finder, after people complete their 3 forced runs it will be back to exploiting flashpoints to increase the rate of rewards. This will still be a problem in 7.0.

Edited by Phaedruss

When I started to read this thread I was feeling sympathy towards OP. No-one should be berated or get kicked from group just because they don't know the route around the mobs. I was thinking he ended up with a few toxic people and there's not much you can do with people like that, except put them on ignore and not get grouped with them again.

After reading the rest of the thread made me change my mind. IMO the moment someone starts to tell me or anyone else how they should play the game, selfishly calling basic game mechanics "exploits" demanding them to be "fixed" so that HE wouldn't have to learn to play as 1/4 of a group, and especially when someone keeps repeating the word "exploit" like a parrot hoping it will become true, sorry, all sympathy is gone. I'd say the group skipping the mobs was not the problem in this case.

Edited by DeannaVoyager

When I started to read this thread I was feeling sympathy towards OP. No-one should be berated or get kicked from group just because they don't know the route around the mobs. I was thinking he ended up with a few toxic people and there's not much you can do with people like that, except put them on ignore and not get grouped with them again.

After reading the rest of the thread made me change my mind. IMO the moment someone starts to tell me or anyone else how they should play the game, selfishly calling basic game mechanics "exploits" demanding them to be "fixed" so that HE wouldn't have to learn to play as 1/4 of a group, and especially when someone keeps repeating the word "exploit" like a parrot hoping it will become true, sorry, all sympathy is gone. I'd say the group skipping the mobs was not the problem in this case.

Tell me then, how are these not exploits? I should be forced to sit and wait for a Stealth character to get to the checkpoint and then kill myself to res at the checkpoint - and spend most of the time in the flashpoint standing around? Im selfish for wanting these loopholes fixed? My bad for wanting to play the game and not wanting others getting an advantage for running flashpoints that came out 10 years ago by abusing exploits - and running those flashpoints over and over and over again. Group finder is supposed to randomized. It's selfish that these loopholes entitle players to ruin the experience of doing group content just so they can get rewards faster than they were intended to get - this isn't a case of 'play your way' - these are broken flashpoints mixed with broken gearing systems that essentially break the entire group finder system.

And frankly I don't need your sympathy. Didn't ask for it. I don't have to be happy with how it currently is and am free to voice my complaint here.

Edited by Phaedruss

Tell me then, how are these not exploits? I should be forced to sit and wait for a Stealth character to get to the checkpoint and then kill myself to res at the checkpoint - and spend most of the time in the flashpoint standing around? Im selfish for wanting these loopholes fixed? My bad for wanting to play the game and not wanting others getting an advantage for running flashpoints that came out 10 years ago by abusing exploits - and running those flashpoints over and over and over again. Group finder is supposed to randomized. It's selfish that these loopholes entitle players to ruin the experience of doing group content just so they can get rewards faster than they were intended to get - this isn't a case of 'play your way' - these are broken flashpoints mixed with broken gearing systems that essentially break the entire group finder system.

And frankly I don't need your sympathy. Didn't ask for it. I don't have to be happy with how it currently is and am free to voice my complaint here.

what you describe isn't actually an exploit. While I don't really like doing that either, it definitely is no exploit.

Tell me then, how are these not exploits? I should be forced to sit and wait for a Stealth character to get to the checkpoint and then kill myself to res at the checkpoint - and spend most of the time in the flashpoint standing around?

I have been playing this game from beta, and I have never been in a flashpoint where a stealther has asked anyone to wait while they stealth to a checkpoint and then have everyone die to rez at the checkpoint. Is this actually a thing? Don't most of the bosses and mini bosses have a stealther detection buff now? The only checkpoint things you can use stealthers to bypass that I know of are the speeder to Gharj in the Eternity Vault Operation and the speeder to Zorn and Toth in the Explosive Conflict Operation, which, as I italicized, are operations, not flashpoints like the OP has said.

I just did two Master Mode flashpoints this evening and BOTH groups were happy to do the bonus bosses and neither group asked to skip to a checkpoint despite stealthers in the group. That included the bonus mission for 80 kills for the Asteroid Beast bonus boss for Hammer Station, and both of those stages are just painful slogs, but hey I need the bonus bosses for the achievements so I was grateful to do them. I mean, I just find this hard to believe this is a widespread issue, since I mostly PUG flashpoints.

Sure, fine, fix that in flashpoints, if it even exists. I have literally never experienced this and I wouldn't characterize the Satele Shan server as incredibly friendly and patient. I mean what are we even arguing about at this point?

I have been playing this game from beta, and I have never been in a flashpoint where a stealther has asked anyone to wait while they stealth to a checkpoint and then have everyone die to rez at the checkpoint. Is this actually a thing? Don't most of the bosses and mini bosses have a stealther detection buff now?

Sure, fine, fix that in flashpoints, if it even exists. I have literally never experienced this and I wouldn't characterize the Satele Shan server as incredibly friendly and patient. I mean what are we even arguing about at this point?

Yes, it's actually a thing. It's mainly the result of the fact that many flashpoints have 'rez' points - that is, points at which you rez if the group has made it to that phase.

For example, if you get to the first boss in Copero, you rez there if you die. So a stealther can just sneak to the boss and then everyone just commits suicide (/stuck or jump off the dock) and they spawn at the first boss and skip everything up to it.

About the only way to 'fix' that would be to eliminate the rez points and have everyone respawn at the start.

Edit: or (as pointed out below) have the checkpoints only work after the boss is defeated, as some already are.

There are also many instances where you can just run through mobs and they will eventually stop chasing you. The final section of Cadimemu is a good example. You can run all the way from the bottom of the big elevator (or even before that) to the final boss room, dragging the mobs until they give up.

It's sort of a balancing act between those who want to experience the entire FP and those who just want to get their CQ done. If you want to experience the entire FP, I'd suggest you do it in Solo mode or with a group of friends and/or guildmates. If you go through GF you can expect to do all sorts of skips, etc.

Edited by JediQuaker

About the only way to 'fix' that would be to eliminate the rez points and have everyone respawn at the start.

No, you could just change it so the checkpoint for reviving is only active AFTER the boss is defeated, instead of before. Look, its clearly meant to be a quality of life thing and I appreciate that. The walk of shame after a wipe is real, that's why Scyva in Gods of the Machine and Hive of the Mountain Queen have shortcuts that can be enabled, but they can only be enabled after clearing some mobs. The speeder in EV is only enabled after you defeat the first boss which used to be a dps check for the group and only if you make a very specific jump. Only the speeder to Toth and Zorn for Explosive Conflict truly bypasses any fighting.

Anyway, it doesn't look like anyone's going to agree here. I'm glad I've never experienced this issue personally.

Nope, you are definitely not getting my sympathy. :D I don't have that for people who haven't learned the basics of social interaction such as playing nicely with others. Most people learn that in early childhood, but I guess there are exceptions. :)

And yes, feel free to voice your fantasy over and over again. It won't change the fact that skipping trash mobs is NOT an exploit. You may want it to be, but it's not.

Just learn to play the game, understand that you are not the only one in a group. If you want to kill all trash mobs you need to solo it or find like minded people to group up with you. Trying to force the rest of a random group to do what YOU want to do is called abuse. Luckily it only needs two people to kick abusers.

Yes, it's actually a thing. It's mainly the result of the fact that many flashpoints have 'rez' points - that is, points at which you rez if the group has made it to that phase.

For example, if you get to the first boss in Copero, you rez there if you die. So a stealther can just sneak to the boss and then everyone just commits suicide (/stuck or jump off the dock) and they spawn at the first boss and skip everything up to it.

Edit: or (as pointed out below) have the checkpoints only work after the boss is defeated, as some already are.

There are also many instances where you can just run through mobs and they will eventually stop chasing you. The final section of Cadimemu is a good example. You can run all the way from the bottom of the big elevator (or even before that) to the final boss room, dragging the mobs until they give up.

It's sort of a balancing act between those who want to experience the entire FP and those who just want to get their CQ done. If you want to experience the entire FP, I'd suggest you do it in Solo mode or with a group of friends and/or guildmates. If you go through GF you can expect to do all sorts of skips, etc.

You can word it however you want, but these skips are exploits. It's abusing mechanics to skip content. Wanting these loopholes closed is not expecting too much or me being unreasonable. It's expecting the devs to maintain the health of the game by addressing bad design issues in the flashpoints. I'm not saying that people should be punished or that they are bad players for abusing them, it's a side effect of them being broken for so long and not the players fault. This doesn't mean they should remain broken for the sake of people saving 10 to 20min on a run to complete their conquest faster - this is where the balance issues come into play for a gearing system that rewards for doing any flashpoint. Those rewards don't scale with the longer flashpoints or flashpoints with less loopholes and they become content no one runs because the reward isn't there for time spent - why spend more time in a flashpoint for the exact same rewards that introductory flashpoints like HS provide in half to a third of the time?

7.0 will only mildly address this. After people complete their 3 forced weeklies to get their guaranteed rewards, it's back to farming the broken flashpoints over and over to increase rewards with time spent. This problem will persist.

*edit - it also creates a highly toxic system that rewards players for kicking or leaving slower players behind, in the public group finder system meant to make it easier to experience group content in an MMO, because endgame players farming conquest only care about completing it as fast as possible. For the people that have compared this to wows mythic + system... mythic + is not tied to group finder, you have to find private preformed groups. New players signing up for group finder are not forced to play with endgame players trying to maximize their rewards. Mythic + is also only for the most current dungeons (or occasionally some timewalking) and in these dungeons there are no exploits that allow you to skip 75%+ of the combat content in them...

I'm sorry, but I don't pay a subscription to not play the game and having a group finder system that encourages and rewards for not playing the game is toxic in nature. It's similar to systems that reward players for just being in the content, where you see afk players joining to soak rewards - but ultimately just ruin the content. It is exploitative and toxic. This is entirely based on bad design and can be fixed.

A lot of the arguments here are basically acknowledging these problems exist, but that they are legitimate and designed to work this way. Again, similar to afk soakers in other games - 'going afk in this content is a totally legitimate way to play, you should learn how to play the game or play solo content...'

Edited by Phaedruss

Here are two possible solutions I could get behind:

1) Remove trash as required to balance certain FPs (and also lower the trash requirements for bonus bosses, if applicable; Ilum and Maelstrom especially could benefit from only requiring a trash pull or two extra to unlock the bonus boss, rather than clearing the trash essentially in full up to the bonus boss), especially from the longest FPs, such as Chiss or Nathema

2) Split GF into multiple sub-queues (it's widely acknowledged that FPs just aren't uniformly hard):

- Express being Hammer, Athiss, Esseles/BT and RR (you could make a case for Mando Raiders to be in the express queue, or in the basic queue)

- Basic being Kuat, Taral 5, Maelstrom (pub), Boarding Party, Foundry (imp), Directive 7, Ilum, False Emp (you could also make a case for Labs or Core)

- Advanced being all others

Each sub-queue would then have different levels or amounts of rewards. Might require more effort than increasing the aggro radius on some of the more readily skippable mobs, or removing trash from some of the longer FPs, but it may address some of the issues with rewards vs time spent.

As applied to ops, this would mean splitting between the lair queue (single-boss ops) and raid queue (multi-boss ops), with rewards scaled accordingly.

Why are there any trash NPCs if we are just intended to skip them all???

Which is exactly why I'd rather want a trash-free FP, but only if the story premise makes sense for it to be trash-free. However, story premises that can make a trash-free FP work are heavily dependent on either location/boss characterization or quests that take place beforehand. Here's a list of possible story premises that can make a trash-free FP work:

- A diversion drew all the would-be trash away (like the last part of KotFE Ch11 but more effective)

- The bosses can't keep their minions supplied (ideally, if it's supposed to be part of the main story, you'd want a preceding quest to be about cutting the bosses' supply lines)

- A weapon was fired, or a curse was cast, at the location against which bosses are immune, but would-be trash isn't (if a curse, killing the boss would likely be key to breaking the curse, or hold the key to breaking it)

- The bosses would prefer to lull you into a false sense of security until the player reaches a point deemed strategically important enough for the boss to fight you there (I'd rather have had the first 2/3 of Chiss play out that way over what we actually got)

- The bosses deem trash useless based on prior experience (only works when you fought the boss before in a prior encounter, doesn't need to be another FP, though)

- The bosses are the last survivors of some calamity

- The FP takes place in some derelict (such as post-SoR Ziost or a Theoretika-like)

- You wanted to save an area from an attack but the bosses killed off the residents before you arrive

As for bonus bosses: have them drop recipes to retired decos or outfits (and also the return of bonus boss-based CQ objectives, with harder bonus bosses yielding more points).

Here are two possible solutions I could get behind:

While I'd rather have flashpoints with no trash mobs than have flashpoints riddled with exploits to skip that content - I don't see this as a solution in my opinion, but this would at least be acceptable. With the other part though, splitting up the queues - the reason vet queues are almost instant pop for everyone is that everyone that queues for vet is put into the same pool. This makes it so people don't have to wait for an hour just to do a vet, splitting that up would just create longer queue times for one category and the one that is most efficient will still be the most used, so you'd end up with a category no one used because of longer queue times.

Imo the best solution is just to fix the flashpoints. Any kind of bandaid solution will not fix the problem and create problems elsewhere. Players just need to realize that dungeons in any game are a commitment - they most usually cannot be completed in 10min, while the rest are 30min. In the current and new gearing systems this creates incentive to abuse the broken flashpoints to maximize rewards.

What it comes down to, is that when the game was created - you couldn't get good gear from the introductory flashpoints. So them being more forgiving and easier wasn't an issue; larger gaps between groups of mobs with said mobs having less aggro range, etc.. when you mix these introductory flashpoints into the same category as endgame flashpoints this is what you get, people abusing the introductory flashpoints. The other is issue is how bad the engine for the game is (modified city of heroes engine.) and a lack of testing for exploits at launch and a lack of fixing exploits in them as they were found over the years. My biggest fear for these problems would be that they are unfixable because the current devs have no actual way of patching them up because of how old and bad some of the legacy code might be. If this is the case then a lot of the old flashpoints need to be taken out of group finder - like coilocoid war games - and the new flashpoints that are fixable need to have the exploits patched up to keep from having these problems pop up again.

Personally I feel removing trash from those FPs with exploits (at least the trash that can actually be avoided with said exploits, and then exploits become pointless as such) would be easier to implement than separate queues with separate rewards; in fact people often complain about FPs having too much trash (outside of Blood Hunt or maybe Core).

Personally I feel removing trash from those FPs with exploits (at least the trash that can actually be avoided with said exploits, and then exploits become pointless as such) would be easier to implement than separate queues with separate rewards; in fact people often complain about FPs having too much trash (outside of Blood Hunt or maybe Core).

Skipping trash mobs is not an exploit. There are space between the mobs so that you can run between them without attacking, and it is not an exploit. There are crates and elevators which allow you to go forward without having to kill the trash before next boss. No exploit there either. We have classes that can go stealth and they don't have to kill everything, no exploit there. If skipping trash would be considered an exploit, BW would have fixed them years ago and banned everyone who skips trash mobs. I know there is this guy who keeps saying it's an exploit because he got kicked from a group who wanted to skip the trash, but he is just salty because he couldn't force people to run the FP his way.

Skipping trash is basic game tactics, and usually people want to skip as much as it's conveniently possible because they've played the same fps hundreds of times. Skipping trash has become a norm and it is common courtesy to go along with the group. Most people have the social skills to understand it and getting into group with them is always a pleasure.

Putting people who want to kill everything into separate queue would solve the problem for the rest of us: they wouldn't be in the normal queue anymore causing friction and drama. Their queue would be really slow though, but considering they also want to go through the flashpoint as slowly as possible, that shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't mind removing some of the trash either. Some are fun to kill, if you get them grouped up nicely for aoe. The ones that root or stun or knock you around are just annoying and that adds no value to the gaming experience. It only makes people want to avoid the flashpoint or at least skip the trash.

Skipping trash mobs is not an exploit. There are space between the mobs so that you can run between them without attacking, and it is not an exploit. There are crates and elevators which allow you to go forward without having to kill the trash before next boss. No exploit there either. We have classes that can go stealth and they don't have to kill everything, no exploit there. If skipping trash would be considered an exploit, BW would have fixed them years ago and banned everyone who skips trash mobs. I know there is this guy who keeps saying it's an exploit because he got kicked from a group who wanted to skip the trash, but he is just salty because he couldn't force people to run the FP his way.

Skipping trash is basic game tactics, and usually people want to skip as much as it's conveniently possible because they've played the same fps hundreds of times. Skipping trash has become a norm and it is common courtesy to go along with the group. Most people have the social skills to understand it and getting into group with them is always a pleasure.

Putting people who want to kill everything into separate queue would solve the problem for the rest of us: they wouldn't be in the normal queue anymore causing friction and drama. Their queue would be really slow though, but considering they also want to go through the flashpoint as slowly as possible, that shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't mind removing some of the trash either. Some are fun to kill, if you get them grouped up nicely for aoe. The ones that root or stun or knock you around are just annoying and that adds no value to the gaming experience. It only makes people want to avoid the flashpoint or at least skip the trash.

On some of these you can easily skip 75% or more of the flashpoints, this is NOT intended. That is abusing mechanics to skip stuff. You saying it's not, doesn't it make it so.

I've never played an mmo where you could skip the combat content of dungeons to this extent - if it was intended, you would see these exploits in all flashpoints. Again these are mainly old flashpoints that are abused - why can't you skip 75% of all flashpoints? This is an imbalance caused by... guess what? Exploits!

Thank you for repeating my words... when exploits become the meta, they are the norm and people feel entitled to keep using them. You again are a prime example. Just because it's the norm doesn't mean it's not an exploit... just because everyone abuses them doesn't mean they aren't exploits - on the contrary, the damages they do with the gearing systems this game has in place and are putting in (mixed with lvl sync) is far more than if only a few people were doing it.

You say you are sick of running the same flashpoints, then stop *********** abusing the introductory flashpoints! You won't though. Again, why would you spend 30min for the same rewards exploiting gives in 10min?

Edited by Phaedruss

Um, whuh? The solution to skipping the trash mobs is to remove the trash mobs? That makes no sense. 🙄

If the exploits aren't fixable, then this would remove them. I said I didn't think it was a solution, cause it's not. Combat content is important in an theme park mmo based on combat classes. But it would be better than using platforming onto things you're not supposed to jump on (hence why most people get stuck when trying.) or using checkpoint res to skip most of it...

Edited by Phaedruss

If the exploits aren't fixable, then this would remove them. I said I didn't think it was a solution, cause it's not. Combat content is important in an theme park mmo based on combat classes. But it would be better than using platforming onto things you're not supposed to jump on (hence why most people get stuck when trying.) or using checkpoint res to skip most of it...

Actually, I don't think its necessarily all that unusual that a party might try to skip enemies. Even a Jedi who couldn't use Force Cloak might desire to focus only on the mission and not cause extraneous deaths. For example, take Athiss. Jumping onto that ledge before the first boss would definitely fall into your category of platforming and getting stuck. But, its not uniconic that a Jedi might take that route. Imagine Obi Wan, who did not have the ability to turn invisible, sneaking through the Death Star.

I think you are going to have a lot easier time convincing people to come around to your side if you stick to things that are arguably unintended. Stick to the example of everyone waiting at the beginning of the flashpoint until a stealther reaches a pre-defined revival checkpoint.

What's obvious is that, even in the absence of exploits, FPs aren't anywhere near close to having consistent lengths, or difficulties even.

Removing trash from some FPs, in whole (Chiss, Nathema) or in part (Tython, Cademimu, Directive 7, SoE, SoV, Umbara, Taral 5, Maelstrom, BP, and so on, so forth, but bonus bosses would need to have their trash requirements reduced or eliminated) would go a long way towards having a better balance of length, even though it won't necessarily make them significantly easier.

For most FPs, trash is usually much less engaging than bosses, and, more often than not, is not essential to the story (And it's not just the 5.0 FPs either). Outside of the rakghoul FPs, bosses tend to drive the story, and are often the sole story drivers.

Sure, removing the trash would alter bosses' characterization (for example, Zenta would instead come off as someone that would rather lull enemies into a false sense of security), or how a locale would feel, but the substance of the story would remain mostly intact most of the time.

That said there are definitely FPs that are too long for their own good.

On some of these you can easily skip 75% or more of the flashpoints, this is NOT intended.

Not true. Skipping mobs in flashpoints IS intended. That's why there are gaps between the mobs, that's we have stealther classes, that's why there are crates and elevators you can use to go around. Just because you don't know how to skip, or you don't know how to be a part of a group, doesn't make skipping an exploit. You can keep repeating that until eternity and you're still not getting your way.

If you don't want to do what the rest of the group does, you need to go solo. There's plenty of stuff you can do solo and kill everything in an instance, but you don't get to dictate how others should play their game. If you want to do that, you need to buy EA and pay them to change the game the way you want it. Until then, the rest of us will play it AS INTENDED and there's nothing you can do about it.

Not true. Skipping mobs in flashpoints IS intended. That's why there are gaps between the mobs, that's we have stealther classes, that's why there are crates and elevators you can use to go around. Just because you don't know how to skip, or you don't know how to be a part of a group, doesn't make skipping an exploit. You can keep repeating that until eternity and you're still not getting your way.

If you don't want to do what the rest of the group does, you need to go solo. There's plenty of stuff you can do solo and kill everything in an instance, but you don't get to dictate how others should play their game. If you want to do that, you need to buy EA and pay them to change the game the way you want it. Until then, the rest of us will play it AS INTENDED and there's nothing you can do about it.

Actually there is. I can voice my opinions on the forums, and there's nothing you can do about it.