Plz Don't Assume My Combat Style...

BigBack

"If you have an existing character when Legacy of the Sith launches, when you log into the game, you will be able to choose a Combat Style immediately. You can choose a Combat Style similar to your previous Advanced Class or choose something new. The choice is yours!"

Ok seriously. What's vague and confusing about this?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I have debunked this multiple times.

But you haven't. And you clearly didn't read my posts, so let's try it 1 more time.

I have an existing toon, and my legacy has never finished chapter 3 on any toon. So that means I do not have access to a 2nd combat style. But as I login I'll -

be able to choose a combat style immediately. You can choose a Combat Style similar to your previous Advanced Class or choose something new

See how that works? Existing toons can choose a new combat style or choose to stay with the same (similar since there are differences from advanced class to combat style). There is nothing vague about that sentence, especially when you take in the information from the livestreams and interviews.

• Dev Post

Hi all,

For transparency and context for those who are reading the dev tracker only, the choosing your Combat Style for existing characters text being referenced in this thread is from the Separating Story and Gameplay article that was published a while go.

There's been an update to this. We originally planned to allow players to switch their primary combat style with existing characters upon loading up 7.0, unfortunately we discovered some technical hurdles that will prevent us from supporting that. So upon login, existing characters will maintain their existing Advanced Class, which will be converted into their first Combat Style. And eligible players will still be free to choose their second Combat Style.

The original article has been updated to reflect this.

unfortunately we discovered some technical hurdles that will prevent us from supporting that.

Permanent technical hurdles, or fixable ones? And if they are fixable and (later) fixed, will affected characters get a free pass to replace the forced first style with one of the player's choosing?

EDIT: and thank you Jackie for (in effect) confirming that my interpretation of the original text was correct, that we would be allowed to choose two new styles for existing characters rather than one, even if that intent was not to be.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Hi all,

For transparency and context for those who are reading the dev tracker only, the choosing your Combat Style for existing characters text being referenced in this thread is from the Separating Story and Gameplay article that was published a while go.

There's been an update to this. We originally planned to allow players to switch their primary combat style with existing characters upon loading up 7.0, unfortunately we discovered some technical hurdles that will prevent us from supporting that. So upon login, existing characters will maintain their existing Advanced Class, which will be converted into their first Combat Style. And eligible players will still be free to choose their second Combat Style.

Hi Jackie

Thanks for dropping into the thread and giving us clarity I really appreciate it. I am disappointed the team ran into technical issues allowing existing toons the capacity to switch. The intent to originally allow us is something I guess. Can you confirm the team will be looking towards allowing existing toons to make the change at some point once they get past the hurdle? Or has the design decision been made and this is what the future looks like?

Cheers,

Jeremy

I wonder also in light of this confirmed new information if it would be possible even allow Tech Users the ability to switch their existing combat style to the mirror choice like force users will be able to? That would give existing Tech Users at least something to choose moving forward in light of the technical issues brought to light.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Jeremy

Permanent technical hurdles, or fixable ones? And if they are fixable and (later) fixed, will affected characters get a free pass to replace the forced first style with one of the player's choosing?

EDIT: and thank you Jackie for (in effect) confirming that my interpretation of the original text was correct, that we would be allowed to choose two new styles for existing characters rather than one, even if that intent was not to be.

You and me both had the same thoughts on the matter. Feels good to not be crazy lol.

And thank you again Jackie, you responded to me thru two different methods and updated the thread within like 30 minutes of me reaching out to you. That is awesome and we appreciate it greatly. Not all heroes wear capes, but you totally should especially for the next stream

Hi all,

What about allowing tech classes to also become their mirror class like force users getting the option to switch to the sith/jedi. I really want to switch all my operatives to scoundrels but don't want to waste my 2nd combat style on a mirror when force users get to freely do it.

Hi all,

So my Vanguard Trooper will be able to have a Merc combat style, but will not be able to ditch the Vanguard completely. Hmm. Disappointing, but not a dealbreaker.

Hi all,

Let me be the first to say I am totally fine with you delaying the update to fix these technical hurdles.

Honestly this announcement stinks. Now, unless you fix these challenges, I’ll have to burn my second combat style on sith characters that are aligned with the light side just to have the combat style I wanted with them.

This is just another example of why the expansion is not ready to be released and should be delayed.

Hello,

On the test server we had the option to take an existing character, for example a Sith Inquisitor Sorcerer, and "flip" them to the opposite alignment if we had the correct achievement unlocked.

Will this "flip" feature be available for existing characters in the live update or only for new characters?

EDIT: Nevermind I forgot I can watch for posts in non official channels too. Another developer said no, you will not be able to flip either.

Edited by LadyAdmiral

Let me be the first to say I am totally fine with you delaying the update to fix these technical hurdles.

Honestly this announcement stinks. Now, unless you fix these challenges, I’ll have to burn my second combat style on sith characters that are aligned with the light side just to have the combat style I wanted with them.

This is just another example of why the expansion is not ready to be released and should be delayed.

EDIT: Per Chris (on Discord), what I saw on the PTS for this previously was actually changed/was a bug and existing Force characters can't swap anymore, so your understanding is correct. You will need to use your second combat style to make that happen.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

A follow-up question to the Devs on that.

So I have a Inquisitor Madness Sorcerer that I really want to change the combat style of.

Upon 7.0 launch I will be a subscriber and choose a 2nd combat syle that I really want that character to have.

My question is this: when my subscription time runs out, I reckon only one combat style will be available to me as a preferred player at that point., will it revert to my 1st combat style or lock on the one I'm using or let me choose which one to use, how does that work?

EDIT: Per Chris (on Discord), what I saw on the PTS for this previously was actually changed/was a bug and existing Force characters can't swap anymore, so your understanding is correct. You will need to use your second combat style to make that happen.

That basically defeats the purpose of the alignment aspect of Combat Styles for many, as these players are most interested in changing alignment animations for their existing characters, ones that have been played as LS Sith or DS Jedi going back years.

Why not push the release date back for 7.0 and work this and other problems/bugs out for the better?

Hi all,

This is NOT good, at all.

Some of us just spent the last couple months building new characters, getting them ready, spending cartel coins and credits to prep them for doing exactly this... and you drop this one us less than 2 weeks before launch?

I am not happy right now at all...

Hi all,

Jackie, can you make this a bit clearer please? Are you telling me that NONE of my 50+ alts be able to change their current spec to a different one as their first choice? E.g. my Sith Juggernaut will not be able to change to a Jedi Spec as her first combat style? And that she will only be to have her preferred Jedi Spec as a second combat style?

If so, why are BW releasing this knowing that so many of us have many, many, many alts that we were hoping to change to a different primary (first choice combat style)?

I think we (subscribers) are going to need you to increase our character slots by a factor of 20 (included in our sub) so we can start again without deleting our current characters.

Or delay the combat changes until you've worked out the problem.

Edited by Sarova

Would adding a third Combat Style slot mitigate this problem? That'd allow for everyone to get the two styles they had envisioned when this change was first announced. I have to admit, I'm not happy. I'd envisioned changing my Commando to a Mercenary/Sniper for a long while now. Much less enthused about this expansion than I had been. I know these sorts of technical mishaps are bound to happen with any large change. But perhaps the feature was announced far too early in advance, before enough technical investigation had been done on its viability.

Hi all,

Thanks for the update but why did I expect this to be the case and yet making more alts is not really ideal since how you are doing the gearing so thanks but no thanks. I am not making a new character to deal with this hassle, which should have been tested first and ironed out before launch because we already knew bug fixes will not happened until mid Jan (if we are lucky) most likely we are looking at Feb/March for updates, which is normal for expansions released in December.

Not directed at you Jackie: But waiting until a few days before launch to announce is not smart as this is something that reflects badly on BW, as this is how they tend to handle things they know people are going to get upset about.

Edited by casirabit

Hi all,

This is my quit moment for SWTOR. I wish you all the best, but this was the final straw for me. 7.0 is taking the game play loop too far in the opposite direction from my preference, and now telling me that my heavily invested characters will not have the same level of customization as a fresh toon? That's a nope for me.

I truly thank the devs and my fellow Ebon Hawk / Star Forge players for the thousands of hours of enjoyment.

Hi all,

We originally planned to allow players to switch their primary combat style with existing characters upon loading up 7.0, unfortunately we discovered some technical hurdles that will prevent us from supporting that. So upon login, existing characters will maintain their existing Advanced Class, which will be converted into their first Combat Style. And eligible players will still be free to choose their second Combat Style.

Thank you for the update. This is not good news, but it is helpful to know. I was looking forward to swapping my Twi'lek Operative to Scoundrel to reduce clipping, but I don't want Operative AND Scoundrel, so this is quite disappointing.

I have one question though: does this apply to swapping Force users to their mirror combat style? My main is a Light V Sith Sorcerer and I've always wished I could swap him to the Sage combat style. This character is at least 9 years old, and I don't think I have it in me to reroll him. :(

Seems like a whole lot of development work just went down the toilet for the vast majority of the players in the game. So only new characters will be able to swap Advanced classes on their toons.

Honestly, that was pretty much the only thing the expansion had going for me. You’ve pruned and destroyed my favourite class (Jugg) and now I can’t even swap them to another class to use.

Thanks a lot BioWare 🤬😡