Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ylliarus
06.17.2020 , 02:58 AM | #151
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Thanks but you would be surprised at the slack we have received because of it. In the beginning, people told us we were doing it wrong even when we explained that we didn't expect everyone to rp like this and that everyone has their own style. We were not even using the planets in game when we started our roleplaying. Ours was started as a forum roleplay at first because at the time we were waiting for the game to be released and we just sort of game together and interesting that is how our guild was eventually formed which in my opinion was great. Had some great roleplaying with them even though eventually we lost one of the ladies we roleplay with because of a brain aneurysm.
I am so sorry to hear that, both that you did get slack for it and that you lost one of your members.

The Heavy RP community can be like that at times, yeah. Often its members will think that the RP they do is the better form of it and other ways are lesser. But I think that slowly attitudes are changing and that roleplayers start to see there's various different ways to RP! At least, I hope that is the case

And especially considering that you started your RP before the game on the forums. It makes a lot of sense to want to continue that instead of timejumping to the recent era. Tbh, I had always wanted to play/roleplay in the years before the Sacking of Coruscant. The Great Galactic War sounds like an amazingly interesting era to RP in!
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

Ylliarus
06.17.2020 , 04:04 AM | #152
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
The highest possible praise Thanks!

Really enjoying the conversations, please keep your thoughts coming!
You're welcome! I do have a question/remark though:

On the SWTOR site it is said that - within the in-universe lore - the Galactic Senate adopted the BTC (Before the Treaty of Coruscant) and ATC (After the Treaty of Coruscant) calendar system. While that event would of course be a massive victory for the Sith Empire, it would seem somewhat... unpatriotic if the Empire adopted a calendar system that was created and introduced by the Galactic Senate of the Republic, their mortal enemies.

Would it be possible that the Sith Empire used a different dating system, one that is still recent but more geared towards the Empire's priorities and values? For example, the Sith Empire could have adopted BRK (Before the Reclamation of Korriban) and ARK (After the Reclamation of Korriban). The Battle of Korriban in which the Empire reclaimed its ancient homeworld seems like a really significant date, one that Imperial propagandists may want to emphasise on by turning it into a calendar system.

If the Sith Empire reclaimed Korriban in 28 BTC, that would mean that is 0 or 1 ARK for the Sith Empire, the start of that calendar. As such, the current year 27 ATC (After the Treaty of Corusant) would be 55 ARK (After the Reclamation of Korriban) in the Sith Empire (because 28 + 27 = 55).
Darth Malgus [EU]

BenKatarn
06.17.2020 , 04:51 AM | #153
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Would it be possible that the Sith Empire used a different dating system, one that is still recent but more geared towards the Empire's priorities and values? For example, the Sith Empire could have adopted BRK (Before the Reclamation of Korriban) and ARK (After the Reclamation of Korriban).
I'm sure the Sith Empire has some sort of timing convention of its own, but I think introducing another one into the lore just for the sake of it might get confusing. Considering the direction SWTOR has taken since launch, the whole Before / After Treaty of Coruscant thing was never utilized that much, so at this point the whole calendar thing is more for the benefit of us observing the game than for the unseen masses living in the world of the game themselves. It's already kind of amusing when you look up specific events on Wookieepedia and there's like several different time measurements included in that date.
- = = The Katarn Legacy = = -

Ylliarus
06.17.2020 , 05:23 AM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
I'm sure the Sith Empire has some sort of timing convention of its own, but I think introducing another one into the lore just for the sake of it might get confusing. Considering the direction SWTOR has taken since launch, the whole Before / After Treaty of Coruscant thing was never utilized that much, so at this point the whole calendar thing is more for the benefit of us observing the game than for the unseen masses living in the world of the game themselves. It's already kind of amusing when you look up specific events on Wookieepedia and there's like several different time measurements included in that date.
I don't disagree with you, as you make a very valid point and counter-argument However, in terms of lore, a different calendar system for the Sith Empire might make the story experience more immersive. Even if it was only a codex entry as a sort of lore trivia, that would be great for roleplayers who RP Sith or Imperials. They would have an officially recognised date on the Imperial side to use and reference. Aside from the codex entry or site mention, the calendar system could largerly be left untouched, just like BTC and ATC are rarely if ever referenced in the story. The codex entry would just have to mention a few dates and the rest of the calendar timeline could be figured out by way of deduction. For example, the Battle of Serenno took place in c. 7 BTC, that would be c. 21 ARK (After the Reclamation of Korriban) within the Sith Empire calendar. Darth Malak was killed in 303 BTC, so that would be 275 BRK (Before the Reclamation of Korriban) in the Imperial calendar. The Great Hyperspace War started and ended in 1347 BTC, so that would be 1319 BRK on Impside. The class stories start in 10 ATC, so that would be 38 ARK (After the Reclamation of Korriban) for the Sith. The Battle of Ilum takes place in 13 ATC, so 41 ARK for the Empire. Just mentioned a few dates like this within such a hypothetical codex entry would be enough to let the ways of logical deduction take over afterwards

Of course, this is just an idea and suggestion to help the story's experience feel more immersive when playing within the Sith Empire. As I said before, it feels odd to think the Dark Council of the Sith Empire adopted a calendar system commission and introduced by the Galactic Senate. The Empire would choose something more patriotic, I believe, it terms of calendar systems :P
Darth Malgus [EU]

BenKatarn
06.17.2020 , 05:54 AM | #155
Of course, this is just an idea and suggestion to help the story's experience feel more immersive when playing within the Sith Empire. As I said before, it feels odd to think the Dark Council of the Sith Empire adopted a calendar system commission and introduced by the Galactic Senate. The Empire would choose something more patriotic, I believe, it terms of calendar systems :P
Would it be more immersive? Definitely, but so would strictly separated GTNs (wasn't that a thing at launch?) and the Sith Empire having it's own currency and a strict no-trade rule with people who aren't Imperial. That could certainly benefit immersion, but at the cost of quality of life in the game itself. There has to be a balance. I'm not saying that having an extra time unit for the Sith Empire itself wouldn't be cool (Before / After the Reclamation of Korriban, or Before / After the Exodus after the Great Hyperspace War or Before / After Settling of Dromund Kaas), but I believe it to be unnecessary. That goes a little too deep I think and can easily just be set up by roleplayers themselves.
- = = The Katarn Legacy = = -

Ylliarus
06.17.2020 , 06:28 AM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
Would it be more immersive? Definitely, but so would strictly separated GTNs (wasn't that a thing at launch?) and the Sith Empire having it's own currency and a strict no-trade rule with people who aren't Imperial. That could certainly benefit immersion, but at the cost of quality of life in the game itself. There has to be a balance. I'm not saying that having an extra time unit for the Sith Empire itself wouldn't be cool (Before / After the Reclamation of Korriban, or Before / After the Exodus after the Great Hyperspace War or Before / After Settling of Dromund Kaas), but I believe it to be unnecessary. That goes a little too deep I think and can easily just be set up by roleplayers themselves.
As I said, no disagreement from my side, as you raise valid points Mainly I was just throwing out an idea into the open, nothing more. It is already amazing that we have a specific calendar for this era, even if it isn't referenced that much in the story.

That said, I do hope the current in-universe year can somehow be included into the game in its ATC format. For example, the in-universe year could be included into the mission description of the first story mission text. Or it could fade in along the story update title when the first cutscene starts to play. Of course, this doesn't need to be added retroactively (albeit that would be nice). If future story updates contain it, that would be neat.
Darth Malgus [EU]

Nick_J_Herrmann
06.17.2020 , 05:15 PM | #157
Humble Observations from a Roleplayer

I greatly appreciate Charles Boyd’s input about SWTOR’s in-game timeline. As a SWTOR player who principally identifies as a roleplayer (RPer) and enjoys the game for its storytelling and RP potential more than anything else, having even a vaguely structured timeline of events is critically useful to RPers in the development of their own characters and community storytelling.

Charles’ observation that “timelines are super helpful in weaving your own works through the greater narrative” is spot-on. For myself and many other RPers, when first sitting down to create a new character for RP or storytelling purposes, it is absolutely essential to have some rough idea of the character’s background and to what degree is relates to known events of the game.

The thing that struck me most about Charles’ comments was that the eight original class stories are presumed to take place over the span of three years. Based on my own timeline and having played through all eight class stories myself at least a few times, I always excepted that the in-game events certainly probably took place over the course of several months, and three years does seem quite extensive to me personally.

As it turns out, I created an unofficial SWTOR and pre-SWTOR galactic timeline for use by RPers on the Star Forge Roleplay Community website back in April. Happily, I was able to discern the same year as Charles, ATC 26, as the current (approximate) in-game year.

I agree with the camp of thought that the game appears to start in the year ATC 13. Like Charles, I arrived at this by using the Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia as my primary source. In the book’s timeline (p. 19), it states the Cold War ends c. 3,640 BBY, or ATC 13. The book’s galaxy map (p. 284, 285) also contains a note saying that the galaxy as depicted on those pages is recent as of ATC 13.

Some of the dates I provide on my timeline do conflict with some as Charles’ statements, but I am hopeful at his tease that perhaps BioWare will address the in-game timeline more formally in the future.

I had a lot of fun developing my own timeline back in April, event despite vague and conflicting sourcing. In the course of attempting to flesh out this history, my love of Star Wars and SWTOR lore only grew. While developing this project, I found myself curious about gaps in SW lore that could prospectively be addressed in SWTOR in the future. For instance, the last of the seventeen Alsakan Conflicts we know of that took place before the events of SWTOR was the Tenth Alsakan Conflict which started in approximately BTC 6,347 in the Ductavis Era; the first of the conflicts to take place after the events of SWTOR is the Seventeenth Alsakan Conflict (the final one) which occurs in ATC 636; that leaves a considerable gap during which six of those conflicts had to take place (I presume at least one of those conflicts would take place during the SWTOR era. How epic would that be to see in the game!?). Another fascinating aspect of the project was to see just how many important galactic events took place during the reign of the Sith Emperor of the hidden Empire on Dromund Kaas. It really calls into question to what degree Vitiate was aware (and prospectively involved) in some of those events. It was also during this project that I had to critically reexamine the place of Iokath in the game's lore; having spent time endeavoring to place events to ancient civilizations such as the Rakata, Gree, and Kwa, it really called into question for me whether the Iokathii could be thrown into this same category of ancient, powerful species.

I am very much looking forward to the possibility that Charles Boyd and his creative team may seriously address the subject of the in-game timeline in the future.

Ylliarus
06.17.2020 , 05:42 PM | #158
Quote: Originally Posted by Nick_J_Herrmann View Post
The thing that struck me most about Charles’ comments was that the eight original class stories are presumed to take place over the span of three years. Based on my own timeline and having played through all eight class stories myself at least a few times, I always excepted that the in-game events certainly probably took place over the course of several months, and three years does seem quite extensive to me personally.
Three years doesn't sound extensive at all, if you ask me. The fact that our characters go from Jedi Padawan to Jedi Master in the span of 3 years is exceptionally short, when normal characters and NPCs need decades to reach masterhood. The same applies for the Inquisitor and Warrior, they go from Acolyte to Darth in only three years. That's incredibly short, but considering the classes are meant to be special and unique characters, it is acceptable. But the fact all of the class story events happen in only 3 years is really short and fast-paced.

I agree with the camp of thought that the game appears to start in the year ATC 13. Like Charles, I arrived at this by using the Star Wars: The Old Republic Encyclopedia as my primary source. In the book’s timeline (p. 19), it states the Cold War ends c. 3,640 BBY, or ATC 13. The book’s galaxy map (p. 284, 285) also contains a note saying that the galaxy as depicted on those pages is recent as of ATC 13.
Small correction: the game's class stories end in 13 ATC, not begin. As Charles Boyd has noted, the game's story begins in 10 ATC. Otherwise, 13 ATC is indeed the year the Cold War ends and the Galactic War starts.

Some of the dates I provide on my timeline do conflict with some as Charles’ statements, but I am hopeful at his tease that perhaps BioWare will address the in-game timeline more formally in the future.
Well, the statements that Charles Boyd made are really accurate I believe, even if Bioware is working on a more official timeline release or something of the sort. I would suggest to change any dates in your timeline to what Charles Boyd has stated, as he has the clearest view of the entire picture, I believe. I'd say his statements would be the more accurate ones, even if they aren't entirely super official yet

I had a lot of fun developing my own timeline back in April, event despite vague and conflicting sourcing. In the course of attempting to flesh out this history, my love of Star Wars and SWTOR lore only grew. While developing this project, I found myself curious about gaps in SW lore that could prospectively be addressed in SWTOR in the future. For instance, the last of the seventeen Alsakan Conflicts we know of that took place before the events of SWTOR was the Tenth Alsakan Conflict which started in approximately BTC 6,347 in the Ductavis Era; the first of the conflicts to take place after the events of SWTOR is the Seventeenth Alsakan Conflict (the final one) which occurs in ATC 636; that leaves a considerable gap during which six of those conflicts had to take place (I presume at least one of those conflicts would take place during the SWTOR era. How epic would that be to see in the game!?). Another fascinating aspect of the project was to see just how many important galactic events took place during the reign of the Sith Emperor of the hidden Empire on Dromund Kaas. It really calls into question to what degree Vitiate was aware (and prospectively involved) in some of those events. It was also during this project that I had to critically reexamine the place of Iokath in the game's lore; having spent time endeavoring to place events to ancient civilizations such as the Rakata, Gree, and Kwa, it really called into question for me whether the Iokathii could be thrown into this same category of ancient, powerful species.
While it would be really awesome to see one of the Alsakan Conflicts happen within the game, if it occurred it would have to happen in the scope of the renewed war between the Republic and Empire. The Jedi vs Sith and Republic vs Empire conflict has always been at the core of this games story and we only got that part of the story back a short while ago. I wouldn't want an Alsakan War to overshadow the Third Galactic War, atm. Sure, the potential Alsakan Conflict could happen as a part of the Third Galactic War, though.

A potential scenario could be that Alsakan believes Coruscant's position to be weakened as a result of the war with the Empire and the resource crisis, so they want to exploit the ongoing turmoil and chaos to challenge Coruscant again in a new conflict. The Sith Empire would obviously want make use of such a conflict and seek to stir things up (much alike they try to do on Dantooine). That is a way how an Alsakan Conflict could become part of the game's story.
Darth Malgus [EU]

casirabit
06.18.2020 , 10:15 AM | #159
I am so sorry to hear that, both that you did get slack for it and that you lost one of your members.

The Heavy RP community can be like that at times, yeah. Often its members will think that the RP they do is the better form of it and other ways are lesser. But I think that slowly attitudes are changing and that roleplayers start to see there's various different ways to RP! At least, I hope that is the case

And especially considering that you started your RP before the game on the forums. It makes a lot of sense to want to continue that instead of timejumping to the recent era. Tbh, I had always wanted to play/roleplay in the years before the Sacking of Coruscant. The Great Galactic War sounds like an amazingly interesting era to RP in!
Thanks and yea it is interesting. We don't do as much as we used to because of real life commitments right now.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing.

Ylliarus
06.18.2020 , 05:50 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Thanks and yea it is interesting. We don't do as much as we used to because of real life commitments right now.
That makes sense, yeah. Real life has called me away from RP numerous times as well, so I definitely get the sentiment.

Tbh, I would love to see more RP guilds that RP within other parts of the timeline. The Great Galactic War could inspire a lot of great storytelling. Things like the Battle of Alderaan or the Invasion of Serenno would be damn neat to witness in RP.
Darth Malgus [EU]