Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
06.16.2020 , 08:40 AM | #141
Thanks. That was an interesting read and interesting on the time line.

It would be beneficial to those that follow the time line and stuff in game.

Now I know I am going to get some slack or something like that for this:

But our guild hasn't really followed the time line or the story for our roleplay but basically because we started our roleplay prior to the game launching but again thank you.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing.

FlameYOL's Avatar


FlameYOL
06.16.2020 , 10:04 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post


Hope this is helpful! And again, let me know if y'all find any specific callouts for years that I'm missing, particularly around that end of class stories/Battle of Ilum timeframe.
Hmm, doesn't line up with my own predictions but I understand your logic. The only problem I see is the Great Galactic War re-starting on the end of Chapter 3 since I'm pretty sure the game explicit tells you Chapter 3 is full blown warfare already.
A man can have anything...If he's willing to sacrifice everything

TheDancingHare's Avatar


TheDancingHare
06.16.2020 , 10:20 AM | #143
While I write and RP my characters, I have never been super strict on timelines but it seems I was way off, so thanks for clearing it up! Very helpful, thanks <3
No Retreat! Colonel Kazta Khem | Vanguard

CharlesBoyd's Avatar


CharlesBoyd
06.16.2020 , 10:49 AM | #144 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Love the discussion so far! Some quick responses:

Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
  • Prologue / Chapter 1 begins in late 10 ATC and concludes in late 11 ATC
  • Chapter 2 begins in late 11 ATC and concludes in late 12 ATC
  • Chapter 3 begins in late 12 ATC and concludes in late 13 ATC

Is that about right? That one year is really the only thing that confuses me in terms of the timeline.
Thatís how Iím parsing it, yep! Though Iíd want to emphasize that I see that as a general timeline for all of the class stories collectively, and not as a written-in-stone interpretation of each and every one specifically. What I mean by that is some chapters of some class stories definitely wouldnít have taken exactly 1 year; some perhaps a bit more, others significantly less. Since I didnít write them all, Iím loathe to go back and assign more specific timing to them unless something comes up that requires that specificity. But if we look at them as a collective group of stories, it seems reasonable to say that they all generally start and end around the same time.

Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
This is about Darth Savik saying she hasn't risked open combat in a decade, right? Charles has said on Twitter once or twice that this was not meant to be taken literally. It's meant to be taken as "in about a decade" .
Right Ė she says the last time she fought anyone directly was a decade ago, which isnít the same thing as saying the last time she fought the player was exactly ten years ago

Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
The way I understood it, Kira and Scourge destroyed Vitiate's body at about the same time of KOTET Chapter 9 taking place. After that, they got knocked out for "more than a year". This would still not necessarily have to mean that they immediately went to Odessen after waking up.
Benís on a roll! Thatís how itís intended. Kira and Scourge didnít immediately go to Odessen; and even when they did, they spent some time observing the player character (seen in Hearts and Minds) before making contact in Onslaught.

My copy of Annihilation is stuck in the office, so I donít have it handy to refer to. But if there is a conflict between that and the encyclopedia with regard to dates, Iíd go with the encyclopediaís version, because:
  • They were published very close together, so if there are any conflicts, they were likely just a result of miscommunication or simple typos, not an intentional clarification/revision.
  • The encyclopedia was written specifically to serve as a reference for details like this; Annihilation is written to be an awesome story first and foremost (seriously, read it if you havenít, itís great!) with dates serving as extra detail.
  • Drew Karpyshyn is way too nice and talented and successful, and clearly needs to be taken down a peg or two if the opportunity presents itself
  • Drewís tweet about Annihilation following the class stories in 3640 BBY fits with the encyclopedia putting Ilum in that year, so that already lines up.

As one last point of extra clarification with regard to the in-game releases roughly following IRL time Ė I really do mean roughly. So everything released in the same IRL year is generally meant to have happened in the same in-game year, almost always in the order they were released. But just because one patch was released in April and another was in July, doesnít mean that the events they depict are exactly 3 months apart. There is plenty of room for interpretation based on what's actually happening in each story


Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
everything aligns perfectly with the lore
The highest possible praise Thanks!

Really enjoying the conversations, please keep your thoughts coming!
Charles Boyd | Creative Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Ylliarus's Avatar


Ylliarus
06.16.2020 , 12:43 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by FlameYOL View Post
Hmm, doesn't line up with my own predictions but I understand your logic. The only problem I see is the Great Galactic War re-starting on the end of Chapter 3 since I'm pretty sure the game explicit tells you Chapter 3 is full blown warfare already.
The War restarts at the start of Chapter 3 and Chapter 3 occurs from 12 ATC to 13 ATC. So, you have misunderstood what Mr. Boyd wrote, as everything aligns perfectly with the lore Even the official SWTOR Encyclopedia explicitly states that the war reignited in 13 ATC.

Quote: Originally Posted by casirabit View Post
Now I know I am going to get some slack or something like that for this:

But our guild hasn't really followed the time line or the story for our roleplay but basically because we started our roleplay prior to the game launching but again thank you.
Why would you get slack for this? Every player or guild can RP whatever they want if a guild wants to RP during the Great Galactic War prior to the Sacking of Coruscant, why not? The problem is only that those RPers wouldn't be able to interact in their RP with others in the community and in that sense they'd become what RPers call "time bubbled". That's why most of the Darth Malgus RP community RPs in the same year, to be able to do cross-guild RP. That's why getting the current in-universe year was so important to us
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

DarkTergon's Avatar


DarkTergon
06.16.2020 , 01:22 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Why would you get slack for this? Every player or guild can RP whatever they want if a guild wants to RP during the Great Galactic War prior to the Sacking of Coruscant, why not? The problem is only that those RPers wouldn't be able to interact in their RP with others in the community and in that sense they'd become what RPers call "time bubbled". That's why most of the Darth Malgus RP community RPs in the same year, to be able to do cross-guild RP. That's why getting the current in-universe year was so important to us
I was replying to this, but my net went down, bit of a storm at the moment, but what you wrote was way better anyway...lol
Beware, my friends, as you pass by. As you are now, so once was I
As I'm now, so you must be. Prepare, my friends, to follow me

ďThe problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.Ē

MrEndymion's Avatar


MrEndymion
06.16.2020 , 02:35 PM | #147
Question for the story team as well, at the current point that in-game lore is at, what age would you say the 8 classes are, if you had to guess? My guess is that all of them are in their late 30's by now? The Force users might be younger, however, seeing as how they couldn't be too old when chapter one starts.
http://www.swtor.com/r/csdPWl Referral link and a muffin button... click it.... you get a free blueberry muffin
Ahz, GM of <R O G U E> and Wrestling Nerd.

LtGeneralGezlin's Avatar


LtGeneralGezlin
06.16.2020 , 03:26 PM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
Love the discussion so far! Some quick responses:

Really enjoying the conversations, please keep your thoughts coming![/color]
I have really been loving your timeline posts, its a great resource, and makes me want a second, "bigger" edition of an Encyclopedia (But copy and pasting these into a word doc is fine too). Thanks for sharing!

I do have a few questions,

I know you may not speak about the age of the Player characters but, I did have a question about the companion ages:

Are the ages for the companions as stated in the Encyclopedia their ages at the time we meet them in game (For example, is Risha 21 when we meet her in the Prologue?) or their ages around the time of 13 ATC/ 3640 BBY?

and I asked Hall Hood (I believe) this many years ago just after HK-51 was added to the game, but I figured I'd ask you, since things can change over the years:

What is the relation between our HK-51 and the HK-50s and HK-51s from Knights of the Old Republic II, and where does HK-55 fit into that line? Is he a repurposed and modified HK-51 built specifically for Lana, or is he a one of a kind creation by the Empire after we recovered HK-51 from Section X?

casirabit's Avatar


casirabit
06.16.2020 , 04:25 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
The War restarts at the start of Chapter 3 and Chapter 3 occurs from 12 ATC to 13 ATC. So, you have misunderstood what Mr. Boyd wrote, as everything aligns perfectly with the lore Even the official SWTOR Encyclopedia explicitly states that the war reignited in 13 ATC.



Why would you get slack for this? Every player or guild can RP whatever they want if a guild wants to RP during the Great Galactic War prior to the Sacking of Coruscant, why not? The problem is only that those RPers wouldn't be able to interact in their RP with others in the community and in that sense they'd become what RPers call "time bubbled". That's why most of the Darth Malgus RP community RPs in the same year, to be able to do cross-guild RP. That's why getting the current in-universe year was so important to us

Thanks but you would be surprised at the slack we have received because of it. In the beginning, people told us we were doing it wrong even when we explained that we didn't expect everyone to rp like this and that everyone has their own style. We were not even using the planets in game when we started our roleplaying. Ours was started as a forum roleplay at first because at the time we were waiting for the game to be released and we just sort of game together and interesting that is how our guild was eventually formed which in my opinion was great. Had some great roleplaying with them even though eventually we lost one of the ladies we roleplay with because of a brain aneurysm.
A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing.

BenKatarn's Avatar


BenKatarn
06.17.2020 , 12:31 AM | #150
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
What I mean by that is some chapters of some class stories definitely wouldnít have taken exactly 1 year; some perhaps a bit more, others significantly less. Since I didnít write them all, Iím loathe to go back and assign more specific timing to them unless something comes up that requires that specificity. But if we look at them as a collective group of stories, it seems reasonable to say that they all generally start and end around the same time.
That is what I was gathering. We have some overlap between stories and we can roughly at least build a timeline of the order class stories end in, but that's about it. In case of the Knight for instance, we know that an unknown amount of time passed between getting captured at the end of chapter 2 and then being liberated at the start of chapter 3, with the war already being in full swing by that time, whereas multiple classes make a big deal out of stating that the Treaty of Coruscant is no longer in effect, though the reason for the resumption of hostilities and who declared war on whom first varies. You wrote the Republic Trooper story, and in that story it's displayed that the Empire declared war on the Republic as a direct result of Havoc Squad destroying the Gauntlet. By contrast, the Imperial Agent story by Alexander Freed declares war on the Empire following the massacre at the Iden Four colony. The Warrior story also paints a different picture, etc.

Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
Right Ė she says the last time she fought anyone directly was a decade ago, which isnít the same thing as saying the last time she fought the player was exactly ten years ago
You know, I would still like to know why you decided to "uplift" a character such as Savik, who had exactly one appearance and didn't even speak back then. I mean, sure, it's kind of amusing that this more or less "no name" Sith Lord that we just walked all over during the Republic Corellia storyline is now a member of the Dark Council, but part of me would have liked someone with a bit more repour with the players. For instance, I would absolutely *love* for Darth Nurin of the Kaon/Lost Island storyline to come back.

Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
Benís on a roll! Thatís how itís intended. Kira and Scourge didnít immediately go to Odessen; and even when they did, they spent some time observing the player character (seen in Hearts and Minds) before making contact in Onslaught.
Nice to be appreciated

Regarding the role of Kira and Scourge in ending Vitiate, did they know about the Alliance at that point? Particularly if the Commander is the Jedi Knight? Or were they just solely focussed on bringing an end to the Emperor and were not as accutely aware of galactic circumstances at that point? That could serve as an additional explanation for not immediately heading for the Alliance after waking up from their coma, especially if the Commander is the person they previously fought alongside with.

Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
My copy of Annihilation is stuck in the office, so I donít have it handy to refer to.
We can make it relatively simple: is Annihilation / Battle of Duro supposed to be set the same year as Ilum, or the year after? To my recollection the events of Annihilation are not featured in the Encyclopedia whatsoever. No reference to the battle, the Ascendent Spear (outside of maybe a reference to the Sun Razer in relation to the Silencer and the Gauntlet) or Darth Karrid.

Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
As one last point of extra clarification with regard to the in-game releases roughly following IRL time Ė I really do mean roughly. So everything released in the same IRL year is generally meant to have happened in the same in-game year, almost always in the order they were released. But just because one patch was released in April and another was in July, doesnít mean that the events they depict are exactly 3 months apart. There is plenty of room for interpretation based on what's actually happening in each story
Good you bring that up again, because this prompts another question from me regarding the timeline you posted earlier. While I am clear on the fact that some stories of KOTFE make no sense being months apart (for instance, I doubt Jorgan/Kaliyo spent a month on that GEMINI mission between KOTFE 12 and 13, neither did it take one month for that one Eternal Fleet ship to come in position to raid it between KOTFE 14 and 15, nor did it take Arcann another month to retaliate in KOTFE 16), I'm a bit concerned over your depiction of the formation of the Alliance.

Your timeline establishes that the Outlander is freed from carbonite in late 22 ATC and that the Alliance gets established in early 23 ATC. Personally, I was always under the assumption that the first wave of KOTFE chapters took place over a couple days to weeks at best. Outlander, The Gravestone and From the Grave probably take place over the course of the same day or two, though an unknown amount of time could be spent during both stays at Asylum. Building the Alliance Base on Odessen probably must have taken a couple months, so another passage of time. I seem to recall a statement from you during the livestream for Anarchy in Paradise that it's been a couple of months since the last chapter.

My main problem with all this is that it would mean that the Alliance takes down the Eternal Empire in the same year that it was established, which just rubs me the wrong way. The way I had seen it, the Alliance is established the same year that the Outlander is freed (November 2015 IRL) and then spends a couple months recruiting members, establishing supplylines and overall just getting up and running, before beginning their revolt against the Eternal Empire proper the next year (Anarchy in Paradise, February 2016 IRL). I know, it only adds a little more, but it just feels a bit weird to think they accomplished all this within just the span of a single year. Or am I just talking semantics at this point?

I think the source of my troubles here is this: is there an IRL month that corresponds to the change in a year in the game? Everything else you established can fit snuggly in the IRL = game time argument, except this bit, so I'm trying to locate this "sweet spot".

Again, thank you very much for participating in this thread.
- = = The Katarn Legacy = = -