Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
why is the deserter lockout still present in regs?

abhaxus
05.02.2021 , 12:29 PM | #1
There has never been something that so consistently is hated by your community. This needs to be removed immediately. I am not sure why you think it is a good idea to punish players because of your own design choices and bugs.
Abhaxus - Sorc | Bitter Pill/Lysol Injection - op | Buubi'sett - PT | Nnnoooooooooo - Jugg | Mayor Bootyjudge - sniper | Juggsridemelikeapony - Merc | Goodagainstbads - sin |

TrixxieTriss
05.02.2021 , 05:17 PM | #2
+ 100

Enticy
05.02.2021 , 06:25 PM | #3
A bunch of players, mostly ranked players, consistently complained about people leaving war zones early. The suspicion was that it was part of wintrading. So the devs decided to throw the baby out with the bath water and bring the hammer down on ANYONE who leaves a war zone early for ANY reason. And they looked upon their work and called it good.

Don’t get me wrong. Being in an arena and watching half your team decide to nope out on the queue for one reason or another really sucks. But there are so many other options for preventing this that don’t involve bending players over a metaphorical table and making them squeal like a pig for twenty minutes.

TrixxieTriss
05.02.2021 , 06:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Enticy View Post
A bunch of players, mostly ranked players, consistently complained about people leaving war zones early. The suspicion was that it was part of wintrading. So the devs decided to throw the baby out with the bath water and bring the hammer down on ANYONE who leaves a war zone early for ANY reason. And they looked upon their work and called it good.

Don’t get me wrong. Being in an arena and watching half your team decide to nope out on the queue for one reason or another really sucks. But there are so many other options for preventing this that don’t involve bending players over a metaphorical table and making them squeal like a pig for twenty minutes.
A lock out in ranked makes sense, but not in regs where there is no ELO that people can manipulate to increase their ranking to get end of season rewards. You get nothing for reg pvp as it is. But you are locked out if you DC or leave because you don’t like a map or you have a team who doesn’t play to win. Which is a completely different situation to ranked.

foxmob
05.02.2021 , 09:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Enticy View Post

you're conflating things and going to incur a lot of ire.

ranked players were complaining about people leaving. and it was used in win-trading. that was all in ranked arena matches. it had absolutely nothing to do with WZs.

separately, there have always been players who complain about ppl leaving WZs. those players stick to a code that you stick out the WZ no matter what, etc. they aren't ranked players or the ones who were concerned with wintrading.

generally, ranked players in WZs don't care about the WZs they're in. they just run around busting heads. they could care less about forum noise or anything else.
Krack

chosonman
05.03.2021 , 05:21 AM | #6
No point in having the lockout in regs since you are forcing ppl to stay in a match for no rewards if they're on the losing side.

Craydingus
05.03.2021 , 10:52 AM | #7
It's even worse when you get spammed with the same map 5+ times in a row. Which is far too likely with the current way maps are given representation in PvP.

Enticy
05.03.2021 , 03:03 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
you're conflating things and going to incur a lot of ire.

ranked players were complaining about people leaving. and it was used in win-trading. that was all in ranked arena matches. it had absolutely nothing to do with WZs.

separately, there have always been players who complain about ppl leaving WZs. those players stick to a code that you stick out the WZ no matter what, etc. they aren't ranked players or the ones who were concerned with wintrading.

generally, ranked players in WZs don't care about the WZs they're in. they just run around busting heads. they could care less about forum noise or anything else.
Okay. WZs, Arenas, whatever. It doesn't change the fact that their complaints (which were legit to be fair) were part of the reason we ended up with a deserter lockout. My problem isn't with the ranked community for making that complaint, it's with the devs who decided to implement this lockout on both ranked and regs.

abhaxus
05.03.2021 , 06:44 PM | #9
The problem is not whether ranked players asked for a lockout or whether reg players were doing so as well. The issue is that bioware looked at the data available to them and came to the wrong conclusions. Lots of players leaving a match does hurt the quality of that match. Rather than punishing players (which inevitably hurts players who didn't intend to leave), bioware should have fixed the reasons for leaving. They should have removed queshball, vandin, and opg without adding the lockout and looked at the data after a month or two. The quit rate would have dropped dramatically just from that. Then they could have looked at the quit rate and seen the following:

1) players more likely to leave when getting the same map x number of times in a short period
2) players more likely to leave when matched with/against the same players x number of times in a short period
3) players more likely to leave after losing x number of times in a row

I know for me, the only reasons I'll leave by choice are if I pop into my 4th huttball in a short span or if I'm matched with the same really bad players more than 2 or 3 times in a row.

My 3rd example is the most intriguing. I'd bet half my in game credits that people who leave warzones the most have lower than average win rates.
Abhaxus - Sorc | Bitter Pill/Lysol Injection - op | Buubi'sett - PT | Nnnoooooooooo - Jugg | Mayor Bootyjudge - sniper | Juggsridemelikeapony - Merc | Goodagainstbads - sin |

foxmob
05.03.2021 , 07:10 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by abhaxus View Post
1) players more likely to leave when getting the same map x number of times in a short period
2) players more likely to leave when matched with/against the same players x number of times in a short period
3) players more likely to leave after losing x number of times in a row

4) players more likely to leave when they want to play the map objectives and either their team or the other does not. I'd say that's pretty high on the list. and since you cannot make ppl play the objectives, it's either leave or ignore them yourself.
5) players leave obvious losses.

er...6) players more likely to leave when they back fill
Krack