New character creation system/more sliders?

YVictorII

Hi all.

I just got to the KOTET part of the game and noticed how much better the new characters look, especially compared to my own. So I wanted to ask- will we ever get a serious update of the character creation system? Or at least some new sliders to make our characters look better and more distinct?

Hi all.

I just got to the KOTET part of the game and noticed how much better the new characters look, especially compared to my own. So I wanted to ask- will we ever get a serious update of the character creation system? Or at least some new sliders to make our characters look better and more distinct?

I'm still waiting for Body Type 5. When BioWare?

I'm still waiting for Body Type 5. When BioWare?

Unfortunately, new values for the Body Type sliders are *probably* the most expensive to produce, by a long long long, and longer than that, way, compared to adding another hairstyle or scar pattern. The fact that they've *never* added another BT, but have added new complexions and cosmetics and (Mirialan) tattoos and so on, strongly suggests that each armour piece is rigged in four (for single-sex armour) or eight (for both-sexes armour) different versions rather than applying a body-type stretch to a core version. Adding a body type would, therefore, necessitate adding a new rigging setup for every single piece of armour in the game. I'd hope that that would be a fairly automatic process, but there are so many things that are "obviously" able to be automated but clearly are *not* so able, that I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Unfortunately, new values for the Body Type sliders are *probably* the most expensive to produce, by a long long long, and longer than that, way, compared to adding another hairstyle or scar pattern. The fact that they've *never* added another BT, but have added new complexions and cosmetics and (Mirialan) tattoos and so on, strongly suggests that each armour piece is rigged in four (for single-sex armour) or eight (for both-sexes armour) different versions rather than applying a body-type stretch to a core version. Adding a body type would, therefore, necessitate adding a new rigging setup for every single piece of armour in the game. I'd hope that that would be a fairly automatic process, but there are so many things that are "obviously" able to be automated but clearly are *not* so able, that I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Good point. I do remember stretched textures on certain older body type 4 armors back in 2.x

I mean, look at the new characters like Darth Rivix, Empress Acina, Arn Peralun, and more... they all look so much better and more detailed than our own characters. A 5th body type will be nice as well but first I think that the existing ones should be worked on.

I'd love new character creation options but its unlikely to happen, if I recall messing with the character creator can be messy according to Charles.

Well... they are creating those new character models somehow... maybe the system needs a rework

Well... they are creating those new character models somehow... maybe the system needs a rework

New character models aren't really bound by the player character creator as I understand it, they're usually unique models.

What would type 5 look like? I saw in one thread somebody want the body of Paul, the kidnapped teen age boy smuggler or trooper is hired to find by his parents on their starter world. I didn't think my type 1 smuggler looked that much taller or older than Paul since I have him the youngest face I could find on the slider.

I've seen people request body taboos. But then they'd want option to hide all armor pieces or have to spend millions of credits to get that energy armor pieces that makes it look like you are not wearing clothes to show off the tattoos.

I've seen people request body taboos. But then they'd want option to hide all armor pieces or have to spend millions of credits to get that energy armor pieces that makes it look like you are not wearing clothes to show off the tattoos.

Of course. Trade-offs are trade-offs. There are other ways to show them - someone trying for a Darth Talon look could use any of the existing chainmail bikini sets, and it's worth noting that some of them can be bought for credits, at least these ones:

* Imperial Dancer (from the Impside Security Key vendors)

* Republic Dancer (from the Pubside Security Key vendors)

* Slave Girl (from the Nar Shaddaa Social Items vendor, requires Social rank II)

EDIT: the other thing that what people are *probably* asking for is non-head tattoos rather than just specifically torso tattoos. There are some short- or non-sleeved outfits out there that would allow players to show off their characters' arm tattoos.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

My thoughts exactly.

Yesterday I was admiring the cloak animation of the Darth Malgus armor in preview when he swings the saber around, it look so great. And, focused only on the cape animation, I was thinking it was the brand new one, the reborn set, which I don't have. But not, I had clicked again and it was my old Malgus set. And I was thinking man, they must have declined that for all body types, what a mess it must be.

Speaking of legendary figures and body types, I've created COUNTLESS cosplays of Satele Shan. Her body is obviously a BT2. However, after endless tinkering I found out the face that looks the most like hers is a... BT 3 (slider 16 for female human shadow, complexion 7). Revert that to BT 2 and she looks nothing like Satele.

So I'm stuck with either having a good face in cutscenes and a body that forbids using her tunic, or the right body when I'm playing, but a face that just breaks my immersion in cutscenes... dang.

Edited by BenduKundalini

Speaking of legendary figures and body types, I've created COUNTLESS cosplays of Satele Shan. Her body is obviously a BT2. However, after endless tinkering I found out the face that looks the most like hers is a... BT 3 (slider 16 for female human shadow, complexion 7). Revert that to BT 2 and she looks nothing like Satele.

So I'm stuck with either having a good face in cutscenes and a body that forbids using her tunic, or the right body when I'm playing, but a face that just breaks my immersion in cutscenes... dang.

I'm pretty sure (no, I have no special inside knowledge) that the above is by design, to obstruct players who want to look just like Satele Shan. Note that her hairstyle isn't available for player characters either.