Update on the Legacy of the Sith

KeithKanneg

• Dev Post

Hey everyone,

I just made an announcement concerning the launch of our Legacy of the Sith expansion, and I encourage you to read the blog post.

We know you will have some questions in response to the blog, so feel free to ask them here and we'll be addressing them in an FAQ later today which we will continue update as you have more questions.

Be mindful of our forum guidelines as we want to ensure we can quickly answer your concerns and keep more information flowing your way.

---Keith---

Edited by JackieKo

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glad i moved onto other games...sad that there isn't enough content coming out every year to keep me playing. GSF could've been better, co-op starfighter battles would have been sick but there's silence on that. also silence on the bug of companion's lips not moving when you right click on them beyond knights of the fallen empire expansion, new companions not being really worth using. game is boring, hammer station is played out.

p.s. enjoy your extended holiday. :eek:

Edited by Saurat

Hello Mr. Kenneg,

speaking for myself here, I cannot say that I am surprised. The state of everything on the PTS spoke volumes to me. A lot of things didn't work properly and forcing it to release before the 10th anniversary of the game would have probably complicated things even more. The team likely also had to go through a lot of extra hours to even attempt to get it done by tuesday next week.

That being said, can you perhaps go into some details of the delay, or rather, what the additional time will be used for? Will we see additional polish or perhaps something extra being added to the release, or is it "only" to get the 7.0 you had in mind into a shippable state?

What about the 10th anniversary itself, will it still happen? Will we get an anniversary vendor etc without a new patch being applied?

What about Life Day?

Will this delay perhaps allow the team to find a way to allow existing characters to re-select their first combat style as originally planned?

Will there be anything to perhaps replace the expansion during the holidays, like another double XP period?

Will there be additional periods of PTS testing?

Edited by BenKatarn

Holy cow, I don’t even know what to say, except “thank you”. Thank you for not dumping an unfinished patch on us over the holidays, and releasing the same, tired “we’re listening to your feedback” thread in late Jan. It shows that perhaps y’all actually did learn something over the years. Please, please take your time and ensure its working as y’all intended when you do bring it live. Edited by Akevv

This seems like a pretty significant delay. With the game returning back to the PTS this week, I have to ask:

What exactly are you needing us to test? Is the delay a result of general QA? Specific systems not being ready?

Will we be receiving any updates between now and February 15th, 2022?

What systems are being built upon? Can we expect systems to change significantly, or will things broadly stay the same?

This delay is concerning, but thank you for making that hard decision over releasing the update well before it's ready. I appreciate it, and I'm sure the devs do too.

Finally. Finally. Finally. Finally. FINALLY!

Too many times in the past, BioWare has rushed things out before they were ready and we have begged them to just deliver it when it is ready.

I know this likely wasn't an easy decision, especially when you were targeting right before Christmas time, but despite some early grousing from people, this was the right decision!

There is too much still left that hasn't been checked out. On PTS alone, there were too many windows that were still labeled as WIP.

At a bare minimum in addition to whatever your plans are, the interfaces should be all fleshed out and tested before you go live.

Trust me, I'm disappointed that I won't be rocking the new game next week, as it is the reason I came back. BUT... I am going to hang around and continue to see the pts changes.

This move is never easy but always the right one, assuming that you do have all your ducks in a row for the February launch.

Hopefully this also means you will be able to squeeze a little bit more into the expansion that you were originally planning to launch a month after or so...

Its the decision to leave the 2nd Combat Style locked behind a suscription definitive? I think that making that decision wasnt really well thought. I hope the BW team can reconsider and make an effort to make the game more open to new players and give a fair chance to compete with the more popular mmorpgs like FFXIV, because making a money wall wont be the solution to all the game problems.

First off, let me start by being nice and applaud you for making this decision. It was the right move to make, no doubt about that!

Second, you come to this conclusion A WEEK before launch? Seriously? We players could have told you Dec14 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon given the state of things on PTS, and I'm sure many people have done so. But you wait until NOW to accept the fact? Yikes...

Do you intend to take the time to actually, genuinely, listen to the feedback given on things and CHANGE them to something that the players actually, genuinely WANT, or will you use this extra time to carry on your "vision" for the game, determined to make all the fun things LESS fun and the not-so-fun things more mandatory?

On a personal level, there are far more "no thanks" than there are "hell yeah" things coming in 7.0 and it didn't help one bit that you start off the LotS announcement by going "you're gonna get MORE FREEDOM" and then later on moves more towards "you're gonna get MORE RESTRICTIONS". You are taking away so many good things and replacing them with so many crappy things instead. I'm definitely going to play through the new storyline when it actually launches, but after that (and until then)? Not really sure I want to be subbed. I am not feeling positive about the things given the changes that I feel are far more negative than positive.

Its the decision to leave the 2nd Combat Style locked behind a suscription definitive? I think that making that decision wasnt really well thought. I hope the BW team can reconsider and make an effort to make the game more open to new players and give a fair chance to compete with the more popular mmorpgs like FFXIV, because making a money wall wont be the solution to all the game problems.

Really though, a second combat style is just window dressing. How does it change gameplay in any way? Just login your other char like you already do, and go to town. Most everything this patch offered, from second ‘combat styles’ to re-earning skills we’ve already got, are just totally unnecessary and don’t move the game forward in any meaningful way. The Manaan story, so long as we aren’t locked into like we were with Ossus, may be fun. If it turns out to be the -only- way to get gear, again, well. Nothing new under the Sun…

You guys are making this thing in a pandemic. Take your time. Not only that you should be given the time you all need even if the pandemic wasn't happening. I'm sure you've given a ton of people a place to go when they had to be locked in. You make amazing stuff. So we're happy to wait!

My only concern is I hope you'll let folks who subbed thinking they were going to get an expansion have access to it when it comes out. Some folks are low income and probably paid for the month thinking they were getting an expansion and now aren't. So maybe give it to everyone who is subbed on the initial launch date in addition to folks who are subbed on the 14th. Maybe give folks who subbed for both dates extra goodies but understandable if not considering you have a lot to do.

Also, will y'all make us a blurrg mount one day. And more blurrg pets. I have blurrg dreams. 🥺 Love y'all!

Looks like I re-subbed too soon. There's nothing to do in this game. 6.X is the worst state this game has ever been in. The entire end game is Toborro's Courtyard SM and Hammer Station SM. PVP is good. Everything else is bad.

It is what it is. If the expansion isn't done, you can't release it. Can you guys please stop doing big releases right before you guys go off on Christmas holidays for an entire month? How about releasing 8.0 during the nice Summer months?

I only hope you're ready to refund those who subscribed just to be able to get the expansion.

Or, maybe grant the expansion for free to anyone who was subscribed by the 14th of December, even though it drops in February.

Personally, it doesn't affect me since I'm subbing on a 6 month plan, but lots of people were writing on reddit that they had just subbed recently to get the expansion when it drops.

I believe this was a good decision, and also hope you take some time to reflect on some of your proposed systems changes (in particular itemization and CQ/renown).

Will the start of the new galactic season also be delayed?

I think everyone prefers a working expansion to a broken one. I think the vast majority of us are glad you're taking the extra time you need.

That doesn't change the fact that it is extremely disappointing to hear this one week before the release date and I would be lying if I didn't say that I'm a very unhappy customer. I get that it might be impossible or counter-productive to release story content before the new mechanics are working as desired, but as someone who has subbed since launch for story and who is feeling drained with looking forward to dripples of story, I might need some sort of band-aid now to stick around another two months waiting for it. Throw us a short story on the blog or a few companion mails as comfort, and I'd be overjoyed and a loyal customer once again. Not expecting it. Just expressing how I feel.

Edited by witchglove

I was definitely expecting a delay, based on the state of the PTS. However I was expecting a 2-4 weeks delay. 2 whole months is a LOT. That's like a different quarter altogether. The announcement for the release was made only last month, the devs must have known how far behind they were right..? I mean a 2 month delay doesn't just sneak up on you.

So... until February, double xp? Something? Anything. Take all the time you need, I've had my gripes with how it was all shaping out and dreading the launch day but we'll see how it all shakes out and if the extra time will be well worth the wait.

But until then. Could we PLEASE have a double rewards event run on?