Allow us to bypass all previous story to start Legacy of the Sith

Lt_Awoke

I have a suggestion on how to deal with the loyalty/saboteur portion and skipping all the content. Unlike auto-completing KOTFE/KOTET and having default dark/light options based on faction, for any of the content after Ossus and boosting to it, have it make you choose the option either through a menu or a quick cut scene ala the choose your second combat style cut scene that gives you the option, saying something like, "As years of war have dragged on, you face a crossroads of remaining loyal or betraying those you love for the other side," or something like that.
  • Like 1

What would be the thought on something like a once-per-character-per-week auto-complete or auto-advance option? This could maybe allow content without meaningful decisions (EoO, SoV) to get the catch-up treatment without presumably allowing for too significant exploitation, and could also maybe fix certain backlog missions like allowing completion of the final Shroud mission or Oricon as well.

I get Eric's point for new/returning players - but realistically - both OP and the rest of us with 20/30/40 characters - dont want to be grinding the exact same time slog of content that we have been forced into.

Example; The implant vendor - having to run it multiple times on every character just so I can buy something from a vendor, I have already unlocked on 12 other characters.

Tweek and HK companions - were legacy bound - so you only ever needed to do their aquisition once, per legacy - provided you paid the credits.

Something like this to remove some of the more "redundant" content that people just dont want to do - such as Spirit of Vengeance flashpoints etc.

At somepoint - you need to give the people who have not been on x amount of years break - to still allow us to choose which content we want to go through.

Doing this would soften the blow somewhat, of the Nefra grind for 30 characters implants and/or Rakata gear and all the associated Ops/Weekly AND Tech Frags required for upgrades ..... the more you force the content, the more resentful the community ends up being:

We wanted to avoid having just a bunch of different "boost" options at character create....

Thanks for the feedback!

-eric

I really don't care what you wanted to avoid. I care about what I want to do. What you want is stopping me from doing what I want to do. That is not cool.

You want me to slog through hordes of trash mobs so that I can progress through conversations that I will just spacebar through, in order to get to the new daily area.

I don't want to do that. I just want to try out the new daily area, and I can't do that because of what you wanted to avoid.

If you ever want me to have access to Manaan, then you need to make is possible for me to do it without having to jump through your hoops.

Until then, I will just have to live with the fact that you think that you know better than me, and you don't want me to enjoy the game by skipping the parts of the game that I don't like in order to get to the parts that I do like.

Edited by Exly

Hey there,

Others in this thread have made some relevant points around things like Loyalist / Saboteur, but there is also a bit more to this decision from our side.

We wanted to avoid having just a bunch of different "boost" options at character create, especially to have clear starting points for new and returning players. When looking at those starting points we chose 3 different points based on each story as its own "saga". So you have the classic game (class story start), KOTFE (the Knights of saga), and Onslaught (the current saga). In this same example, you can't skip straight to KOTET from a boost, just like LotS.

All of that said, "catch-up time" is something that will grow as we continue to add more story content in the current saga. I'll chat with the team and see if there are adjustments to consider here.

Thanks for the feedback!

-eric

I can tell you as someone who recently came back the starting point is anything but clear and the story is very long and convoluted. I returned after more then a year and prior to this i leveled to 75 in dungeons, I have no idea where i was in the story and no guidance in game as to how to skip to the furthest point. whats worse is when i found out where i was in the story and that i had to do all of it probably 20+ hours to gain like 1 level and on top of that scaled down so that lvl 60 mobs can kill me man thats just not fun.

TLDR some people dont care about the story and want to level create a skip please. Remove scaling from old story content its terrible.

Also while im here

- cant delete loadouts as far as i know

- create a /kb for keybinds command its 2022 not 1999 also when switching combat proficiencies my abilities get puked all over my bars until i hit loadout they should stay where they are from the last time i was that spec.

- fix people teleporting in PVP, i have like 20MS im assuming theyre from a different region but man its annoying.

- I have fiber 1gb/1gb and i can only download from your launcher at 8.5GB yes i have p2p on as well, and ya i also downloaded from steam in the mean time. but i feel its degrading optimization.

- I have a 2560X1440 160hz monitor 3080 10850k and 64gb ram when i load the game it absolutely destroys my graphics drivers and turns my PC into a potato for 30 seconds. took me an hour to be able to select windowed fullscreen.

- remove steam subscription from steam it doesn't work and so far the only endearing thing i have come across is i was able to speak to a nice customer service rep who helped me fix it.

sorry coming from other games alot of this stuff is standard lets say in WoW which is 10 years older than swtor. I love the PVP and combat but the QoL things are really a pain in the rear.

Edited by dingiestkarma

It's amusing that the players are more knowledgeable about the game than the devs. I have the option to skip kotfe and start at kotet, skip both and start fractured alliances, or skip that and start at Ossus. By the logic presented here, we should be able to skip Onderon / Meksha and start at Manaan.

I can't help but wonder if, now that this has been pointed out to them, they'll realize their mistake and remove the option to skip to KOTET and Fractured Alliances. That's much more likely than acting on feedback for something players actually want.

We wanted to avoid having just a bunch of different "boost" options at character create, especially to have clear starting points for new and returning players.

-eric

Sigh. What you want to avoid is what I would consider the best quality of life improvement we could get shy of a hood toggle. My dream is having a skip option for each expansion that gives a menu of major choices. (KotFE/ET should get options to skip individual chapters. Some are quite enjoyable, but others are big roadblocks of tedium.) Since Ossus broke my dark side warrior who made all of the right choices to keep Koth and Arcann alive, I know you don't have the ability to pull this off. But I wish you could!

Yes, this right right here. PLEASE!!

It's amusing that the players are more knowledgeable about the game than the devs. I have the option to skip kotfe and start at kotet, skip both and start fractured alliances, or skip that and start at Ossus. By the logic presented here, we should be able to skip Onderon / Meksha and start at Manaan.

I can't help but wonder if, now that this has been pointed out to them, they'll realize their mistake and remove the option to skip to KOTET and Fractured Alliances. That's much more likely than acting on feedback for something players actually want.

I don't want to start at the end, I want to skip the middle (well, some of the middle - KotFE/ET, the traitor arc and Those Two Flashpoints). I don't like the stories and I don't like slogging through the mobs. The more tedium I can skip, the more willing I am to run through the newest content on my legion of alts.

I wish skipping gave you options to set at least a few points straight.

I used a skip, and found out that not only my character didn't get the Sith Apprentice/Lord/Darth titles, but Lana is also not romancable.

Wish it was an option to choose this, akin to a conversation options. Not sure if the engine can take it but it would be very nice. If I knew in advance I would have rather struggled through the Zakuul parts, even though it has very little replayability compared to class stories.

Having more skip options would be of great value. Part of the issue is that certain content worked well when originally released when there were gaps in between, but it is downright silly now stacked back to back. Something like fallen empire has enough replay issues, but the story should pause for a launch click at the original release breakpoints. Yes, you can hit esc and then click exit to do it, but it's immersion breaking. The crumbs of content where you got a conversation or 2 after Onslaught don't really work when you have such short conversations that then jump months in game world time but you are doing the back to back. It;'s a similar issue with the new Manaan storyline. It looks like you originally intended to release the three missions over a series of patches or at least rep level. The conversations reference a passage of time but the conversations just continue (literally with the imp side)

As someone with 74 level 80 toons, only 2 of which have done all story, I would love a further skip, preferably past echoes of oblivion or farther. I don't care about the story. I just want more toons to have access to the new daily area. The slog i would have to do to catch up more toons has made me not even try the new daily area yet on the 2 toons that i do have available to do so, because they are on classes that i no longer spend much time on.

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

If there was,  dontcha think they would've posted about it already?

smh

p.s. They're on  vacation now lol sheesh

Or maybe they forgot about it and my post was a reminder. Also, I know today is a holiday but guess what…tomorrow isn't, and I never expect them to post while they are out of office. I was just bumping this thread since it is a few months old since any movement.

5 minutes ago, Nee-Elder said:

I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Happy holidays though. :ph_use_the_force:

You can disagree all you want, but until you want to contribute something useful to this thread (which you haven't), I'll just ignore you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Lt_Awoke said:

Or maybe they forgot about it and my post was a reminder. Also, I know today is a holiday but guess what…tomorrow isn't, and I never expect them to post while they are out of office. I was just bumping this thread since it is a few months old since any movement.

I wouldn't expect a response till January or February.  They tend to take a two-week break, at least they have since I've been here (which would be at launch).

24 minutes ago, casirabit said:

I wouldn't expect a response till January or February.  They tend to take a two-week break, at least they have since I've been here (which would be at launch).

No one said I was expecting a response before them. The topic hasn't moved since August, which means it was on at least the fourth page. My post was to bring it back to the first page and get it back in the eyes of the developers. That's it.

2 hours ago, Lt_Awoke said:

. I was just bumping this thread

uh-huh....

53 minutes ago, Lt_Awoke said:

My post was to bring it back to the first page and get it back in the eyes of the developers. That's it.

'bumping'  your own thread is against Forum terms-of-service.

( i won't report you though, cuz *Life Day* & everything :csw_hoth: )

--------

ON-TOPIC:  Eric's reply says it all--> https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924080-allow-us-to-bypass-all-previous-story-to-start-legacy-of-the-sith/?do=findComment&comment=9715236   ...which  won't reveal itself until 2023 , most likely after the 64-bit conversion takes effect.

Edited by Nee-Elder
Reason: people break rules, then get all defensive lol

Ideally, I hope there's an option to skip Jedi Under Siege-Valkorion/Vitiate/Tenebrae arc since it feels like a proper chapter end.

But realistically, I think the best we'll get is a skip once the whole Mandalorian/Nul thing is done since the whole thing started with the revive of Malgus and it should end with his... death/end/carbonite for his somehow returns.

Anyway, I hope there WILL be a skip because doing the same story with little to no class specific flavor that doesn't even fit most of my characters for the 1593858th times is torture.

• Like 1

Adding a new start point is all well and good, however I wish you stop removing past start points like you have with level 60 KotFE start point. I still may want to start at KotFE or at Ossus. I mean really is it that hard for players to not understand a story starting point. Give us a little be more credit than that please. Putting a new one the mix in is ok. You can come here as much as you like with statements like "we don't want to have to many start points" Sorry but why do you care? If I am buying one of these tokens, then I want the choice not have you decide for me. 

A long as the topic starter understand that a new one will be along the lines of how it is now. You get to pick your character class/faction/gender and that it. everything else would be you get  all light or dark choices dependant on the faction, and you remain a loyalist to it.

yes it is short sited by BW to do that, but that's is how it is now. If you start from Ossus you don't get a choice in well....anything. Which bring me back to my point about starting story points. It should be our choice not yours's BW. We as in your customers  are paying for these tokens.

• Like 2