Level Shift bugged?

technologhost

my power stat is getting lowered, despite the item having higher stats, it seems that the crystal equipped is not registered, but if i go to the fleet where there is no level shift, it works properly

what causes this?

https://imgur.com/YgWfuth

https://imgur.com/PVy9LDE

Crystals and augments are not working (they are turned off) in level synced content so they don't apply any of their bonuses. There is also talk of applying a penalty to your stats if you are wearing gear "below" your level (for example wearing 306 gear on a level 80 character) in an upcoming patch. Level sync itself is also bugged on some planets (gaining a level to hit the planet max actually decreases your stats compared to your previous level)

Crystals and augments are not working (they are turned off) in level synced content so they don't apply any of their bonuses. There is also talk of applying a penalty to your stats if you are wearing gear "below" your level (for example wearing 306 gear on a level 80 character) in an upcoming patch. Level sync itself is also bugged on some planets (gaining a level to hit the planet max actually decreases your stats compared to your previous level)

***? why would they disable crystal and augments? is this intended or an oversight? seem like a poor design choice

i don't understand, why so many penalties for being synced? it's like they're going out of their way to make playing the game a chore / not fun

***? why would they disable crystal and augments? is this intended or an oversight? seem like a poor design choice

i don't understand, why so many penalties for being synced? it's like they're going out of their way to make playing the game a chore / not fun

It's intentional (see the posts in the Dev tracker). In part it is due to exploits in PVP where equipping certain combinations of augments and crystals was giving certain builds an "unfair" advantage. That is also most likely the reasoning behind the proposed "gear level penalty". As far as making playing unsyched content a chore, that is also intentional (see Dev posts on companion strength, critical, and overall level sync).

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=10035825#edit10035825 They seem to be pushing players to play the way they want. If this is regards to pvp then adjust it where it only affects pvp players, but we know they will not do that.

Sometimes I think they are intentionally destroying their game.

It's intentional (see the posts in the Dev tracker). In part it is due to exploits in PVP where equipping certain combinations of augments and crystals was giving certain builds an "unfair" advantage. That is also most likely the reasoning behind the proposed "gear level penalty". As far as making playing unsyched content a chore, that is also intentional (see Dev posts on companion strength, critical, and overall level sync).

seems like they are trying to fix problems that they create, and is going to spiral down

if they want pvp to be balanced why not go down the Lost Ark route? I think it's the best pvp implementation, only your skill matters (and class balance ofc), when i first unlocked the arena i spent 7 hours doing only pvp, i even got gud and managed 1v3, all of this bc items are only cosmetic in pvp and everybody is scaled to max level with all abilities

Level sync itself is also bugged on some planets (gaining a level to hit the planet max actually decreases your stats compared to your previous level)

Gaining a level to *exceed* the local level cap *always* made you weaker (more accurately, the caps and preset value(1) were below what you could easily achieve with real gear wearable at local-max-level).

If gaining a level to *reach* the local cap clips you down, that's a bug.

(1) Before 7.0 (I haven't repeated the analysis since then), Power was set to a location-specific value rather than capped to at most that specific value.

Gaining a level to *exceed* the local level cap *always* made you weaker (more accurately, the caps and preset value(1) were below what you could easily achieve with real gear wearable at local-max-level).

If gaining a level to *reach* the local cap clips you down, that's a bug.

(1) Before 7.0 (I haven't repeated the analysis since then), Power was set to a location-specific value rather than capped to at most that specific value.

i've read that the same thing happens in gw2, if you level up, you actually get weaker untill you also upgrade your gear

i think the example was like this "a level 50 with level 50 gear is stronger than a level 60 with a level 50 gear"

so i believe this is inherently a problem with the system itself, rather than a bug in the code

i've read that the same thing happens in gw2, if you level up, you actually get weaker untill you also upgrade your gear

i think the example was like this "a level 50 with level 50 gear is stronger than a level 60 with a level 50 gear"

That's a different effect. I actually play GW2 (off and on ever since the very beginning of Early Start), and there, the level sync equivalent actually *is* scaling rather than what it is in SWTOR, where it clips you down.

so i believe this is inherently a problem with the system itself, rather than a bug in the code

A correct implementation can still be a bug, if the design is faulty, so long as the "fault" is not just a designed-in feature.

But SWTOR is a clip-down system, not a scaling system. When I said that the preset stat caps in 6.X were below what you could achieve if you were exactly at the level cap, I meant exactly that: at the local level cap, you'd have, say, 1300 Mastery from your gear and your level (and other bonuses), and yet when you leveled up to cap+1, you'd be limited to 900 or so (say) Mastery. (And gear actually *at* cap+1 often doesn't exist.)

That sort of thing, although it's apparently a bit more complicated than that in 7.X.