Best DPS Spec for Merc/Commando PvP 6.2

Ahavery

If someone could point me to a recent PVP merc dps guide that would be great. The guides I’ve found are for PVE. I used to think Arsenal/Gunnery was clearly the best spec for PvP pre 6.0 because of the burst, ease of target swap, and priority rotation. Now I’m not so sure. Burst seems worse on Arsenal than before and it’s tacticals and set bonuses don’t seem as powerful as IO’s. What do you guys think?

For solo q regs:

1) IO or Arsenal (AS or Gunnery) and why

2) set bonus and why

3) tactical item and why

4) utilities and why

5) Alacrity rating and why

Same questions for solo ranked and team ranked

Thanks in advance!!

i dont think they changed the arsenal, its still one of the top specs if not the best one for pvp on merc/manndo.

overall compared to other range classes, still good. only issue is the gear is kinda bad, apex takes way to long to get.

it took me 4~5months to get my apex from the vendor kai. using the random drop + sometimes the actual piece was on sale

• 3 weeks later...
If someone could point me to a recent PVP merc dps guide that would be great. The guides I’ve found are for PVE. I used to think Arsenal/Gunnery was clearly the best spec for PvP pre 6.0 because of the burst, ease of target swap, and priority rotation. Now I’m not so sure. Burst seems worse on Arsenal than before and it’s tacticals and set bonuses don’t seem as powerful as IO’s. What do you guys think?

For solo q regs:

1) IO or Arsenal (AS or Gunnery) and why

2) set bonus and why

3) tactical item and why

4) utilities and why

5) Alacrity rating and why

Same questions for solo ranked and team ranked

Thanks in advance!!

I find arsenal merc kind of "meh" in unranked WZ. It will do the job, but pretty non exciting and other ranged DPS classes have better sets (like the sniper one that gives entrench forever and makes entrench a damage boost.)

I go IO in unranked as its a nice combination of DOT and burst. DOT is helpful as if you are playing LOS wars with an enemy, they can be hiding behind their pillar still taking your damage while you're hiding behind yours healing up. It also puts out better AOE for example for enemies grouped around objectives.

Also it's just more fun. For example your regular missile can gain volatile warhead which increases its damage and makes it a viable finishing move. Add that to the utility based root or even experiment with Missille backblast tactical for a knockback and troll away.

It has fewer defensives than arsenal and a harder rotation, but overall I really like it.

Set bonus is concentrated fire - again an advantage as you don't have to argue like Arsenal over whether Apex Predator is better. CF really helps the spec because (3) energised charges is a great tactical, boosting your supercharged burn. EC should be your default tactical.

This means you have a set designed to boost supercharge and a tactical designed to make the effects of supercharge twice as good = profit. Supercharged burn is a way better result of supercharge than the arsenal version.

Utilities - For me i think there's a wide variety depending on your playstyle. In tier 1 I always take jet escape and afrerburners for the cool downs and missle root. In masterful I think energy rebounder and power barrier are crucial for DR. Jet Rebounder will further boost your set and tactical bonus by giving you 2 supercharge stacks on jet boost. In heroic trauma regulators and other defensive stuff is really important.

Alacrity - I've been playing at the first threshold. I've had other toons and experimented with higher alacrity but the loss of crit never seems worth it. The exception is on madness sorc where high alacrity did seem to work - but madness is awful in pvp compared with lightning atm anyway.

Can't help you about ranked.

• 3 weeks later...

Alacrity - I've been playing at the first threshold. I've had other toons and experimented with higher alacrity but the loss of crit never seems worth it. The exception is on madness sorc where high alacrity did seem to work - but madness is awful in pvp compared with lightning atm anyway.

Hi, can anybody help with the stats, please? By the first threshold, you mean 1213 Alacrity? What for Accuracy? I belive that after those two the rest goes to crit. Should one go for more power or rather a mastery?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, can anybody help with the stats, please? By the first threshold, you mean 1213 Alacrity? What for Accuracy? I belive that after those two the rest goes to crit. Should one go for more power or rather a mastery?

Thanks

Yes 1213 for 1.4, 3208 for 1.3 Alacrity

1590 Accuracy if you want 110%

1326 Accuracy if you use Profficiency Stim, which you should. But, in PvP most say 105% is all accuracy you need and thats like 400 something.

Well I’ve been running IO this whole time in regs and loving it. The burst is sufficient and I do way more overall damage than I was doing with Arsenal. The rotation is also just more fun for me than arsenal. Using CF armor set and energized charges tactical. I have 1214 alacrity for the 1.4 sec threshold and do not recommend the 1.3 sec threshold... I’ve read alacrity actually reduces your supercharge burn dmg because it just reduces the total duration without speeding up the ticks. 108% acc with the stim, any less and I found mag shot missed too much for my liking. After that I sit around 3200 crit, 12600 mastery and 9900 power with purple augs.

It’s been two months and I have only 1 piece of apex predator. But I do like playing Arsenal every once in a while for variety. Anyone ever experiment with the notorious armor set for more instant tracer missile?

Without guild perk, arsenal requires 663 alacrity for the 1.4 gcd threshold. Without guild perk, IO requires 1213 alacrity rating to reach 1.4 gcd threshold. This is because arsenal gets a 3% alacrity bonus from the discipline, while IO does not. Therefore, if your CF set is optimized for arsenal, you may need to add some alacrity when you switch to IO.