Please can you increase the guild ban list limit

UlaVii

Dear game producers. We all know you take a lot of flack from trolls and disgruntled people so hopefully you can understand where this request is coming from. The in-game ban list you created for guilds is a great feature as it let's us quickly remove problem people from our guilds and prevent them from sneaking back in. It's also super handy for blocking the frequent trolls seen in fleet chat as you can ban them even though they are not in guild so that later on when they switch to an alt and try to get a ginvite they are automatically denied.

The problem is that the list is limited to 185 people. That may sound like a lot but the sad reality is that it is not enough. Please significantly increase the limit so we can continue to keep out the trolls.

Thank you :)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to realize you are not the only biggest guild out there. There are quite a few guilds with the same size and structure as yours and they dont come here crying about stuff they wanna add. How about you just try to work stuff out yourself?

A big guild is a big responsibility so deal with it. Each change they make to suit your personal needs will make the game more complex and even slower, so please instead of relying on Devs to do the job for you improve your hiring process, remove guild inv rights from people that shouldnt have them etc. If you cant make a big guild then just let it be.

You need to realize you are not the only biggest guild out there. There are quite a few guilds with the same size and structure as yours and they dont come here crying about stuff they wanna add. How about you just try to work stuff out yourself?

A big guild is a big responsibility so deal with it. Each change they make to suit your personal needs will make the game more complex and even slower, so please instead of relying on Devs to do the job for you improve your hiring process, remove guild inv rights from people that shouldnt have them etc. If you cant make a big guild then just let it be.

Would expect that kind of answer from you since multiple of your accounts have been included in the in-game ban list since it was added :rolleyes:

Can you wait until Monday before you start replying here with your other accounts to back yourself up like you usually do. It will help bump the thread.

Edited by UlaVii

oh boo hoo... want a tissue? someone is clearly jealous that they dont have a player base

That's how we're doing it at the moment but at the time they were just tagged as "Troll" since the limit of 185 was unknown. Now they get more meaningful tags. You are correct in that a lot of people understand when they are banned it means they are not welcome but some have been trying to get back in for years. Several are obvious about it and just flat out message me every few months after they keep taking breaks to see if I changed my mind and others just try to sneak in by asking newer officers etc. Our out of game ban list helps with most of these persistent trolls but the in-game system is a lot more convenient.

It's not asking a lot to have such a small limit increased to say 1000. As you've already seen, the only people it affects in a negative way are the trolls who are upset at having the usefulness of this tool extended ;)

Hm...

Assuming that the 185-limit is pre-United Forces (server merger), then I'd have to say that raising the limits both of guild members and of people that could be banned from guilds is something that really should have been done as part of the merger.

The option to guild-ban people was introduced about a year after the latest server merges.

If your ban list is up to 185, maybe it's time you culled a few of the older bans. It's not likely that someone you banned years ago is still trying to get into your guild, especially those you banned merely because they said things in chat.

It’s not been around that long to start culling old people. Maybe if the feature was 5 years old I would agree.

But I do agree with the OP, 185 is a very low number. 1000 would be better or even an unlimited amount?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Tbh this is irelivant lists like this should only be limited bye server capacity so having 1-2 k of them is more then fine

same with ignorelists not asmutch as a problem here but in other games i can cap out my ignorelist quite easy and thats just as infuriating as this isssue for gms. but atleast there is a systme in place so thats something

Most of the people who posted here are not guild members. You of all people should know that many guilds try to keep out trolls and find the in-game ban system to be useful, if not limited.

Dear producers, please significantly increase the limit so we can continue to keep out the trolls. As you can see, some of them continue for years.

How on earth are you needing to ban so many unique accounts? Just actually filter out people you recruit.

Thats what I am saying. The idea of a guild ban is silly itself. I mean if you want to take it seriously and have a solid guild roster then just have a good recruiting process. Why demand this from the Devs? Every change they make takes its toll on the game itself and the engine. Its more information to process. Then we have PVPers complaining about lag etc cause one guild cant properly recruit people.

Dear producers, please significantly increase the limit so we can continue to keep out the trolls. As you can see, some of them continue for years.

Just how exactly do trolls work in a guild? What do they do? If you invite new people they get a rank, which limits them to do anything so what is the problem? If you want someone to increase in rank you need to know that person already so if he is a troll and you promoted him its your fault.

I cant really understand the need for bans here. The guild tools provide you with everything you need to fight against these trolls. You wanted a big guild, you have it, now dont be lazy and work for it.

I'm not against increasing the limit, but if I think back on the history of all my guilds in this game, I can think of two examples of people that this feature was created for, people that hold grudges and go out of their way to cause trouble for those that they believe have slighted them.

Considering this to be a feature of escalation, one to be used when a simple kick has proven ineffective, or even in scenarios such as the person in question having gravely violated trust in a guild, it seems so unlikely to me that this limit would be reached this quickly.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I can't help but wonder if this isn't a case of reaching for the most powerful tool in many situations that a much less drastic action (you know, kicking someone) would've been more than sufficient. I'm sympathetic to the idea of not wanting to see someone join the guild with a different (legacy) name if they can't behave themselves with the first one (I've been frequently baffled at how people have argued against legacy-ignoring with the argument that they might want to troll on one character, but behave well on others :confused:), but if there's no indication that these people actually will try this, then a ban is.. or should be premature.

As I said, I don't want to jump to conclusions, I don't know that that is what is actually going on, and I'm not against the limit being stretched some, but when is it going to be enough, really? If you filled 185 slots now, how long will it take you to fill 1000? Will you be asking for a higher limit when you hit that?

Edited by cyrusramsey

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I can't help but wonder if this isn't a case of reaching for the most powerful tool in many situations that a much less drastic action (you know, kicking someone) would've been more than sufficient. I'm sympathetic to the idea of not wanting to see someone join the guild with a different (legacy) name if they can't behave themselves with the first one (I've been frequently baffled at how people have argued against legacy-ignoring with the argument that they might want to troll on one character, but behave well on others :confused:), but if there's no indication that these people actually will try this, then a ban is.. or should be premature.

We get people trying to sneak back in on a quite regular basis. We've had one person asking for invites with 5 different characters over the last week. They were banned on the first for straight away writing insults to an officer after they were initially invited. They then spent over an hour /w me and others in guild abuse about the officer and the rest of us for not re-inviting them. They also took it to fleet chat. Then later that night they relogged and asked another officer to invite them, not mentioning they had already been banned. When the system blocked them they confessed it was them and continued their rant about the first officer. Over the last 5 days they have tried to join with 3 more characters. We have explained how the in-game ban system works but they seem to enjoy wasting officer's time as they are asking several for the invite with each character. To save our time we just post the new character name in our officer channel so the others know to avoid it.

Another is an ex officer who got infected with elitism who became extremely toxic and then massively betrayed us all to try and show off for the others in his circle. He continued that way for several months after his kick, then took a break from the game and now he messages me and other officers trying to get re-invited every 4-6 weeks using several characters. That one is a bit lazy though and generally uses one character each time, so he messages 4-5 of us with one character, gives up and then tries again with another character a few weeks later.

Another example is someone in this thread I won't name who keeps trying to shoot down the idea of increasing the limit. They tried to join using over 30 characters and numerous accounts spanning more than 6 months. One of the reasons they were banned was for multi-botting in GSF and suiciding 4-5 ships at the same time to ruin matches. They did this daily for ~6 months. BW did nothing about it despite tickets and videos. The troll tried to use this as one of several blackmail attempts to get back in guild: https://i.imgur.com/ApWcw88.jpg they regularly wrote crap like that in the /gsf and fleet channels publicly stating they would stop ruining matches if we let them join our guild. To that "person"; there you go, you got the attention you were seeking, feel free to keep bumping the thread to prove my point further.

The "you should have better screening" point has been raised a couple of times in this thread. To me the in-game ban list is the ultimate in first line screening. We haven't posted a recruitment message in well over 5 years as we are very active and people ask to join because they like what they see. We frequently get 10-20 invite requests a day and whilst we do have around 20 officers who handle invites as part of their basic officer duties the actual number online varies hugely depending on day/time/availability etc. Sometimes there will be 5 online and sometimes just 1. We also have 2 Imp guilds and 1 Rep so officers are spread out. We've had a set process in action for years to check people. We do this as quickly and passively as possible since the majority that join have not caused any problems.

We don't just use the list for keeping trolls from sneaking back in, we also use it proactively. A lot of trolls seem to think that their behaviour should only be counted on a per-character basis. To me that is garbage and it's the player behind the keyboard. Three nights ago I watched one person randomly insulting pretty much anyone who wrote in fleet chat. Various insults to trigger a response like telling them what size of ***** they are banging their mom's *** with, stating that people from certain countries deserve to be wiped out with coronavirus etc. Two nights ago it was someone ranting for over an hour about how all gays should be castrated and burned etc. Both of those players were added to the list. They were not in guild with those characters but now they can never join. An added bonus is that if they did have other characters in the guild then those are removed.

Why would we ever want people like that in our guild? Trash is trash regardless of the character they hide behind.

As I said, I don't want to jump to conclusions, I don't know that that is what is actually going on, and I'm not against the limit being stretched some, but when is it going to be enough, really? If you filled 185 slots now, how long will it take you to fill 1000? Will you be asking for a higher limit when you hit that?

I 100% understand you questioning if 1000 will be enough and won't we just ask for a higher number when that is reached. The answer is a question, how many trolls will keep joining this game on our server? I can't predict that but clearly it's at least 185 already :D

The in-game ban list helps us keep our guild free of these kinds of undesirables. We've been a guild in this game that has run without breaks for ~8 years now and our existing methods of screening people and removing trouble makers clearly works or we wouldn't still be here. The in-game ban list is a great extra utility to have which we use alongside our current methods. I am not asking for the functionality to be changed or the bugs with it to be fixed. I just want the limit increased or removed. Keep in mind that when this feature was added there was no mention of a limit although we all suspected there would be one.

Moving forwards, if the limit was increased and actually stated in advance then we would use the in-game feature more sparingly and definitely with better notes for each entry :)

Both of those players were added to the list. They were not in guild with those characters but now they can never join.

There you go, this is exactly the issue. You preemptively ban people! No wonder you have reached the limit. So someone writes he doesnt like gays and you are gay so you will ban him upfront if he tries to enter you guild. I mean thats a bit crazy, dont you think?

As you said 1000 may not be enough, but where will it end? I tell you where, when there will be 10000 players in the game and from those 3000 will be in your 3 guilds and 7000 will be baned to enter, maybe then you will be satisfied. As it was said in this thread even 100 ppl limit for ban should be enough. If you however stand on fleet and read chat and ban people "just in case" then you will need an endless limit (which will damage the game in the end).

On one side I feel sorry for you having such a big guild because its an unnecessary burden, you attract all of the scum in this game, god knows why. On the other side, thats what you get when you overdo it.

If guilds could ban people by Legacy, it wouldn't be an issue.

Managing a big guild is a lot of work. It shouldn't be a part-time job full of drama. If you split up the work with multiple officers, trying to get a little free time to actually play the game, there's more chance something will go sideways, and there are always people who can charm their way around any recruitment process.

Any tools that make guild management easier and faster are a great idea.

If guilds could ban people by Legacy, it wouldn't be an issue.

Managing a big guild is a lot of work. It shouldn't be a part-time job full of drama. If you split up the work with multiple officers, trying to get a little free time to actually play the game, there's more chance something will go sideways, and there are always people who can charm their way around any recruitment process.

Any tools that make guild management easier and faster are a great idea.

Guild bans are legacy bans.

There you go, this is exactly the issue. You preemptively ban people! No wonder you have reached the limit. So someone writes he doesnt like gays and you are gay so you will ban him upfront if he tries to enter you guild. I mean thats a bit crazy, dont you think?

As you said 1000 may not be enough, but where will it end? I tell you where, when there will be 10000 players in the game and from those 3000 will be in your 3 guilds and 7000 will be baned to enter, maybe then you will be satisfied. As it was said in this thread even 100 ppl limit for ban should be enough. If you however stand on fleet and read chat and ban people "just in case" then you will need an endless limit (which will damage the game in the end).

On one side I feel sorry for you having such a big guild because its an unnecessary burden, you attract all of the scum in this game, god knows why. On the other side, thats what you get when you overdo it.

I mean, I run my guild with a zero tolerance for bigotry.

But there's no reason to ban people. I just don't invite them. Joining my guild has a specific process anyway, so trolls and dinguses are typically filtered out.

It's his guild, he has that freedom as much as the troll has the freedom to continue alienating everyone around them. Conversely why does it harm you if you're not a troll that a guild is banning other people for whatever reason? If that offends you why would you want to be in that guild? If you're not a troll then the ban wouldn't harm you. I don't see why adding an integer to the ban limit code would so adversely affect someone to so strongly fight against it (again, especially if you had nothing to hide)