Merging Lowbie and Midbie PVP is a ridiculous idea....

Fraah

I know why you're doing it, to cut queue times, but I doubt you will achieve even that, because low level toons just won't queue anymore, at least after a few tries. Even if you increase bolster it won't help. I already avoid midbee pvp from 43 to 55...this will just mean I have to avoid it from 10 to 55.

You won't solve the problem you are trying to solve, you are destroying lowbie PVP instead and maybe putting off new players from PVP entirely.

Maybe fix PVP rewards instead (crates with level 65 tank gear for a level 20 DPS, etc), make the lowbie PVP weekly count for the ungeranked conquest weekly, stuff like that.

Not this.

Change it back now, you'll have to change it back eventually anyway and the longer you leave it, the more damage or will do.

It only makes sense if Bioware boosts all entry lvl players to lvl 74, with all the abilities and utilities when they enter into pvp.

Without doing that, this change will do exactly as you predict. It will reduce the amount of people playing pvp. It certainly won’t increase numbers in the queue in the long term. It may increase numbers for a few weeks while people work out what’s happening, then they will plummet.

It only makes sense if Bioware boosts all entry lvl players to lvl 74, with all the abilities and utilities when they enter into pvp.

Without doing that, this change will do exactly as you predict. It will reduce the amount of people playing pvp. It certainly won’t increase numbers in the queue in the long term. It may increase numbers for a few weeks while people work out what’s happening, then they will plummet.

Which they won't do, otherwise they would have said so. :rolleyes:

Then again, I have hit on another solution for the problem while going over it - which they also won't implent.

PVP-specific, level bracket-bound overpowered tacticals (and maybe even set bonus armors) - stuff like reduce cool down of force speed by 60% at level 10-29 for consulars/inquisitors, 80% heal on stun breaker for knights at 10-29 (also classes would need to get stun breaker and interrupt at level 10 though anyway), making them progressively less-OP as you near level 70.

Also incentivise lower level PVP by giving it something exclusive. Even if it is just 5 exclusive decorations or something like that....

I very much fear nothing will happen for a while except sub-50's queueing for PVP 2-3 times at most and some never trying PVP again, others not until they are max level. Which I'm guessing is the opposite of what BW are hoping for...

As with all pvp, the matchmaking system is only as good as the number of people queueing. If a bunch of level 74's queue up to farm level 10-20's, they're probably going to find themselves matched with other level 74's. At least, that's how it should work in theory :D but bioware Edited by Rion_Starkiller

As with all pvp, the matchmaking system is only as good as the number of people queueing. If a bunch of level 74's queue up to farm level 10-20's, they're probably going to find themselves matched with other level 74's. At least, that's how it should work in theory :D but bioware

Except we know it won’t. Cause how many matches in lowbies have you had where it puts one lvl 30 with 3x lvl 10-15s vs 4x lvl 35-41’s?

Sadly, the match making won’t take into account player level because it never has. It will be the usual first in and first out queue system and it won’t even look at your level.

As with all pvp, the matchmaking system is only as good as the number of people queueing. If a bunch of level 74's queue up to farm level 10-20's, they're probably going to find themselves matched with other level 74's. At least, that's how it should work in theory :D but bioware

But even if the matchmaking suddenly works great, it'll still be the high levels fighting amongst themselves and the low levels getting destroyed if anyone notices them. Fact is, a level 10 has no defenses, no mobility, no utility, etc... Bolster can make that up against a level 42 (not perfectly but a little at least)... But against a level 74 with set bonus? No...

And the assumption that the matchmaking will work well is already an incredible stretch.

Low levels will have 2 game modes... Be destroyed or be carried. I don't see the fun in either.

Edited by Fraah

I think my idea in the previous post has a lot of merit, but it's too much work for too few players, so it will never get done. The least they can do is not break an already broken system further and that is what this patch amounts to... Edited by Fraah

Well. The 6.3 patch has run past its scheduled downtime projection with no eta of when the game will be playable again. This does not bode well considering issues it is obviously already causing.

It's a little early for this kind of fearmongering. Extended downtime is not particularly rare.

How is lowbie pvp so far?

horrendous...lol did 3 matches, 2 of which were the same darn hutball ..sheeesh. level 74's standing in the middle, wiping out the low levels, horrible unbalanced, more higher levels on one side than the other, etc,....

The only viable way to reduce queuing time would be cross-server PVP. That BW never thought about it is beyond me (I AM being cynical here).

umm...well there's only 2 NA servers. so that won't do anything for the NA queue times. dunno about EU. what is there besides DM?

you can't cross oceans with x-server. the game play would suffer too greatly.

Did one lowbie match as I needed it for the new seasons objective. The other team was mostly lowbie dudes and my team was 60+. We wiped the board with them because they had no mitigation or DCDs. They did hit pretty hard if they could pin you down. But I just sped away on my Sorc or used DCDs. I had 5 chasing me at one point and when they thought they had me, I used my force shield. Then when I sped away my bubble stun kept them all in one place while my team capped. They had no way to break.

The whole situation was an absolute joke. This won’t improve pvp pops, it will kill it.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Did one lowbie match as I needed it for the new seasons objective. The other team was mostly lowbie dudes and my team was 60+. We wiped the board with them because they had no mitigation or DCDs. They did hit pretty hard if they could pin you down. But I just sped away on my Sorc or used DCDs. I had 5 chasing me at one point and when they thought they had me, I used my force shield. Then when I sped away my bubble stun kept them all in one place while my team capped. They had no way to break.

The whole situation was an absolute joke. This won’t improve pvp pops, it will kill it.

Yup, it's going to stop lowbies queuing, new players are going to be put off pvp even more

A guildmate of mine just posted a screenshot on our discord. Three low levels put in an arena against 3 level 60+.

Matchmaking working a treat.

The low levels all quit before the match started.

Has anyone actually had any good experiences of this? I've only been able to bring myself to queue once so far...

Edited by Fraah

Mixing the two is a no go zone as its totally unfair ro characters with fewer abilities. Would actually be better getting rid of lowbie pvp altogether - its not like you can even learn to play using it because you will just get destroyed and come away from it feeling bad! Just be honest about it and make it an end game feature ( with more maps :) )

The worst part of this change is it will also negatively affect endgame PvP. Because frankly, how many new players that are going to have miserable experience in lowbies will try again at lvl 75? And even if they do, they will be now less experienced due to this change forcing them out of PvP until they are high level enough. Edited by black_pyros

The worst part of this change is it will also negatively affect endgame PvP. Because frankly, how many new players that are going to have miserable experience in lowbies will try again at lvl 75? And even if they do, they will be now less experienced due to this change forcing them out of PvP until they are high level enough.

Honestly at this point they just need to do away with brackets and just have everyone be level 75 and have all their skills unlocked in pvp and just remove gear from pvp. They can do what FFXIV does and have a pvp zone where you can duel and have the pvp specific training dummies and that zone switches to a pvp template to set your hotbars for pvp.

Honestly at this point they just need to do away with brackets and just have everyone be level 75 and have all their skills unlocked in pvp and just remove gear from pvp. They can do what FFXIV does and have a pvp zone where you can duel and have the pvp specific training dummies and that zone switches to a pvp template to set your hotbars for pvp.

They do something similar for GW2

This right here, remove gear/tacticals from PvP. My understanding of PvP is that it is about knowing your class, how the abilities work and your skill level. Not needing a boost from set bonuses or tacticals.

This right here, remove gear/tacticals from PvP. My understanding of PvP is that it is about knowing your class, how the abilities work and your skill level. Not needing a boost from set bonuses or tacticals.

No, the existence of set bonuses and tacticals and knowledge how they impact your abilities is exactly the part of knowing your own class and it's a skill itself, removing them would be a step back to simplify the complexity of play and it's similar to removing abilities themselves. Think about set bonuses and tacticals as an enhancement of your discipline path that further alters it, not as gear.

If you want to remove gear, just remove gear level and augments so players can enter PvP with empty shells and have same stats, but even then I consider min-maxing stats as part of knowledge of your class so I am not for it. And bolster exists for this very reason - to ensure some common ground but to allow players to still utilize their stats.

And if the difficulty to obtain set bonuses, tacticals and correct stats is your real problem then try to fix it instead of removing them. Make them easily obtainable for new players rather than remove them. Perhaps just give them free for PvP environment but disable the free ones in PvE or anything else that ensures new players can have everything needed in PvP right from start without grind while the grind for PvE still remains.

Edited by black_pyros