This is why we hate PvP

EllieAnne

I just got out of a PvP where 2 people were able to hold off 7 of us from capturing a pylon. I know there will be the ubergods of PvP that will come in and say "know yer class" or "you all suck" or "you need to try harder" but the bottom line is that when 2 people can hold off 7 for an extended time, something is broken..

"You suck."

Also, you are new to PvP in this game.

A tank and a healer would always be able to stall up to 8 enemy players for a certain amount of time if their skill is high enough and their enemys are just random casuals.

This game is 10 years old and that never changed.

If they hold you up like that, their healing and cooldown coordination and execution is on the top skill level.

When you can't beat them 7vs2, your DPS and CC coordination and execution is on the bottom skill level.

It is the expected outcome when 2 ranked veterans (sitting in TS or discord with micro) are having fun with some uncoordinated enemygroup of random casual zerglings.

Edited by Mephesh
  • Sad 1

Now that BW has forced us back into PvP with Galactic Season I'm sure the data they've been collecting for 6 months now says everyone loves PvP since they made the changes since sooooooo many more players are in warzones. So if you feel forced into PvP because of GS, tell us why you hate PvP. I'd say tell Bioware but if they do read this thread (not likely) then they still won't care.

For me it is the imbalance. Maybe not the kind you are thinking but the imbalance in stun-locks, releases, self-heals, shields, etc. I just got out of a PvP where 2 people were able to hold off 7 of us from capturing a pylon. I know there will be the ubergods of PvP that will come in and say "know yer class" or "you all suck" or "you need to try harder" but the bottom line is that when 2 people can hold off 7 for an extended time, something is broken. They were spamming CC. They would break our CC. They would self-heal for over 50% HP. They would spam their shields and reflects. I wouldn't mind losing in PvP if they were just better fighters than I am, but these are not straight up fights. These are toons loading up on PvP proficiencies and tacticals in order to pwn players through mechanics - not fighting. And then you get them grouping up for warzones and you are pretty much dead. How can I have to have fun when I can't even fight since they can spam stuns on me and if we CC them there is no effect and if my team by some miracle gets them down to 20% health - oh they self-healed back to 80% ... repeat as needed.

I would encourage you to go to youtube and look up Snaves old Stall of the Week videos. It is a fantastic example of how one person who knows how to play their class at a very high level can hold off multiple people. What you are describing is not a game problem it is merely an example of how two people who know how to play their class can hold a node.

I would encourage you to go to youtube and look up Snaves old Stall of the Week videos. It is a fantastic example of how one person who knows how to play their class at a very high level can hold off multiple people. What you are describing is not a game problem it is merely an example of how two people who know how to play their class can hold a node.

actually, it’s a fantastic example of how most people in regs are so bad at the game that they are unable to kill a single player. if you really want to see snave at his finest, go look up the video “Swtor solo ranked : mlg snave” from Vohar.

Fix the matchmaking. It's not that hard. Why add a fourth to 1 team when round 1 was 3v3? Is coding maintenance really that hard? Teams unbalanced: allow 1 to add. Teams balanced: locked to additional adding. Premades are not the problem. Crappy coding for matchmaking is.
  • Like 1

This thread is still up....gosh darn~:D

No I don't believe it! Ppl stealthing afk to get their weekly done?? I was told bringing back losses counting to the weekly would see absolutely zero side effects 😂😂 tbh it was predictable, because this was the main complaint from before and why they took losses away from counting in the first place.

No I don't believe it! Ppl stealthing afk to get their weekly done?? I was told bringing back losses counting to the weekly would see absolutely zero side effects 😂😂 tbh it was predictable, because this was the main complaint from before and why they took losses away from counting in the first place.

It's not afk-ing, it's called playing objective.

It's not afk-ing, it's called playing objective.

I didn't quote the entire post but the dood specifically said ppl stealth sitting in the corner afk waiting for the match to end for their "xp".

I didn't quote the entire post but the dood specifically said ppl stealth sitting in the corner afk waiting for the match to end for their "xp".

Yes, this is what you are doing when you are playing objective. Just at a different place. Most people couldn't even defend an objective anyway, what's the point of defending then? They are just afk - nothing more - nothing less, and yet PvP players get flamed for not throwing matches by "playing objective" aka afking.

• Sad 1

There are two very different things. If ur sitting stealth near a node calling out incomings nobody is going to say a word to you. If ur way off in the corner not anywhere near a node, stealthed, sitting there waiting for the match to end, then you will hear some complaints.

Afk'ing was a major issue pre 6.0, but I think the weekly was only 10 matches and losses counted as one, wins were double. Now it's 12 for a weekly and wins are 3 losses 1. I do think they might have made it a big enough deficit between wins and loses to discourage afk'ing. I haven't personally seen much of it yet.

• Like 1

I do not hate pvp....

Lately....the only ones who do are those that are indifferent in matches. They serve no purpose, would not be missed if there or not.

They just like to complain about "cheats..." which there are none. Too much dps....groups....which are easily beatable! They also are the finger pointers at the end of the match....regardless if they at the bottom.

So, the only ones who hate pvp are those who are not good at it....funny actually!

• 1 month later...
I do not hate pvp....

Lately....the only ones who do are those that are indifferent in matches. They serve no purpose, would not be missed if there or not.

They just like to complain about "cheats..." which there are none. Too much dps....groups....which are easily beatable! They also are the finger pointers at the end of the match....regardless if they at the bottom.

So, the only ones who hate pvp are those who are not good at it....funny actually!

How arrogant and belittling. I'll be clear: I enjoy pvp. When the teams are balanced. Maybe I'm not 'good' in 80+ pvp because a major component of pvp is gear level. It's not a cheat. But I only get 3 hours a week to game and I don't have the same time to farm gear as maybe you do. So rather than an adjustment to the matchmaking that would balance the teams so the gear levels are competitive, the common response is "get good." It's the least welcoming response to casual players. I'll never play ranked, and I'm fine with that. But why can't unranked have a better balancing system? How does it hurt?

why do casuals transform into touchy snowflakes the moment they encounter some good teams or players smh. PVP is inherently NOT FAIR. It's HUMANS VS HUMANS there will almost always going to be some unfairness or imbalance. And that Challenge is also what makes PVP more fun then any other game mode. This is what you sign up for if you PVP. You want fair and balanced games? you have story, heroics, flashpoints and ops. Enjoy PVP for what it is.

The sooner you realize this the more you are going to enjoy your time. Its not a matchmaking problem. Because sometimes you are on the receiving end of the matchmaking and sometimes you get carried. Its roughly evens out in the end the longer you play. ANd if you are pretty good you can slightly tilt it in your favour.

But ofc if you are a casual used to getting what you want in PVE against dumb bots, and suddenly you get run over repeatedly in PVP despite your best efforts. Your ego gets bruised AND its very easy to take it personal. Out of that hopelessness and frustration you end up coming here and crying about it on the forums. Its the same cycle always and yeah as cliché as it sounds. "Git gud" is the solution here.

Edited by assatrap
  • Sad 1

The biggest issue I have with PvP currently is matchmaking, which I am under the impression is completely tied to the low pvp player base however those who understand the mechanics behind the scenes feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

From my observations as a new level 80 player I often see the same exact people quite frequently. To me this is a dead give-away because I have no MMR (if that does exist) and my gear is terrible. Yet almost everyone in my matches is using some goofy combination of max gear combined with bad gear to minmax the 328 gear cap. That is what leads me to believe there is a low population. So why the low population? I'm seeing quite frequently that there seems to be a massive "lack of skill and education" for almost the entire playerbase but is that really the issue? If everyone sucks then why is it that a majority of the lobbies I encounter seem to be 80% dedicated PvPer's and 20% randoms? Why isn't there thousands of lobbies popping off daily full of people that do no damage and have no idea what they are doing? I'll tell you why.

In my personal opinion it's due to the high times to kill (not that ttk is an issue, give me a chance to explain). The game is extremely dependent on multiple people smashing one person. Sometimes based off what is happening that person can change, but ultimately one guy is getting smashed by multiple people. Sadly this means the game promotes and benefits the skilled/educated players for slaughtering the notskilled/uneducated players. It's a smart and effective tactic. Why not smash the guy that doesn't know what they are doing, or the guy that has less health? If you can quickly turn a 8v8 into a 7v8 or a 4v4 into a 3v4 why wouldn't you? However, view it from the perspective of the guy that is notskilled/uneducated.

They que PvP. They do no damage, they die instantly. Rinse and repeat until they get kicked for being afk or the match is over. Of course no one is going to want to play that. And that is why there is no match making, because the majority of the player base that suffers from "a lack of skill/education" are simply just not que'ing. And when they do, they get focused fired because that's what the game mechanically wants you to do in order to increase the baseline odds of you winning.

• Like 1

OP hates pvp because 7 people including himself can't kill 2. The reason for this is your average below average Star Wars fan who plays this game does less then 5k dps and crits on average for 20-30k. Star Wars fans are just lazy. Too lazy to learn their rotation. Too lazy to make friends and too lazy to queue with said friends. But they are not too lazy to rage whisper you after a game for killing them or playing with your friends.

I think the problem is that 8v8 warzone participants are balanced based on:

Roles/Premades

Win% or D/H-PS

-in something similar to that order, or rather in tandem, with the first being prioriry. I.e., First, they're going to try to separate premades and support roles by pairing them off against each other. Second, they're going to supplement those teams, or even base their pairings in the first criteria, by looking at cummulative group win rate and per-second stats, and then fill out each team accordingly.

And the problem there is, objective players like myself seems to get paired off against teams that have a lot of DPS, and usually ones that are not playing for the win. I constantly find that on any given night of my 85%-winning percentage, sweaty objective pvp, I never have the zergy premades on my side. Like literally less than 5%. BW seems to have the matchmaking looking at the winning percentage or DPS as mutually exclusive in terms of putting them on a team; high PS premades on one side, high winning %s on the other.

And that does make a little bit of sense.. I know that some of the worst defeats I'll have, the ones that make me want to log off for the night, are the ones where the other team has a ridiculous premade dragging their exposed, huge (huge for swtor) 6.25 inch lightsabres around the 8v8 map AND a few sweaty scoundrels playing objectives. Very frustrating matches that make most want to tap out.

But I guess to summarize, the games are not balanced around 'fun' or fairness of combat - It's largely balanced around what BW feels are "competetive matches in terms of winning and losing." Not competitive matches in terms of having 6.25 inches of lightsaber down your throat.

• Like 1

well I'll play

• not enough players, making matchmaker doing it's best, at being bad making decent match ups

• seems everyone is trying to kill me

• too much latency for me, and some lag

• the Targeting system . . . oh the Horror . the horror

• oh oh . .and someone always trying to kill me

Edited by Achnaattwo

At least half of the queue does 2k dps or less, so that's the #1 problem. In any 8 v 8 rando game, the higher dps team will win even if they don't really care about the obj.

Q'ing with a premade doesn't mean anything unless you have the comp and skill

For example, a group of 3 dps averaging 8k will get steamrolled by a strong 4 man tank-heal with 2 dps doing 10-12k each, assuming the remaining players are solo q'ers

Sweaty obj stealthers only help if the other half the 4 man premade you're up against doesn't plant themselves on a door or node

It's unfortunate that the nature of the q often dictates what class you essentially HAVE to play to even remotely pretend to have fun

So either accepted it, take a PVE break, log out for a while, or dare I say 'git gud'

Been this way for years and won't change no matter what

• 3 months later...