Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

And I do not mean the same copy paste message that gets thrown onto every topic that discusses this, I mean no offense to the admins but a bit of clarification would be nice.

Things to clarify:

1 - A rough eta on same sex relationships (flirting ect) Were not after a nailed down etched in stone, be all end all date, Just a rough idea. A week/Month maybe 3 ect ?

2 - Those that happen to pick the "wrong" gender at creation are currently missing out with regards to there story arc, In my example Female sentinel missing out with Kira. There are 2 ways I see to fix this.

2a - Re-write those sections to include the same options for both genders and allow players already past to "Redo" there conversations. (Bit difficult and a lot of reworking)

2b - Create equivalent content for same gender romance at level 50 (or once the CURRENT story arc is finished) So by the end of it EVERYONE has had the same options REGARDLESS of the gender they chose.

3 - This is more of a given I think, but will there be more customization options for your companions. For example something to just change your companions hair color or skin tone. (I say its a given because its something so obvious that can be expanded upon and require very little work)

These are the questions to the Developers.

My question to the forum baring in mind we already know more companions are coming with these options enabled already.

Witch do you prefer option 2a or option 2b ?

Ps - Due to threads being closed due to flame wars ect, please keep it civil and just ignore/report those that attempt to start one, And please stay on topic. I will update a count of witch is preferred every 2 days or so. (WTB poll option)

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

------Reserved for poll results

Witch is preferred option 2a or 2b in the above post.

I THINK ITS A LANDSLIDE VICTORY

Option 2a - 24

Option 2b - 7

Option 3 - 1

It has come to my attention that there appears to be a THIRD option so I am Including it here rather than the main post.

OPTION 3 (Its all becomes clear please read)

FIRST - At the character creation screen, just after you select your gender you get to pick your ROMANCE PREFERENCE.

Straight - Male > Female or Male > Female, romance options (You can ONLY romance the opposite sex)

Bi - Male > Male, Female > Female, Male > Female, Female > Male, (You can romance ANYONE that is romancable)

Homosexual/Lesbian - Male > Male, Female > Female. (Only those of the same sex)

Asexual (I think thats the right word) - No Romance options ever appear.

SECONDLY - Make EVERY single romancable companion BISEXUAL, This is crucial for this to work and you will see why in a moment.

THIRDLY - When the romance options normally appear the game does a quick check to see the characters preference and acts accordingly.

FORTH and FINAL - Reset EVERY ONES companion quests to the beginning, Not only would this put EVERYONE on the same page, But also allow those that wish to to record (using fraps or whatever) there own little companion story if they wish.

Unless I am very much mistaken Very little or even No dialog actually need to change, (Unless there is specific gender references any of the conversations. (ie one calling the other boy/guy or girl/woman. And even if there is it would take all of what 2 min to record an appropriate line.

This allows....

Those that do not wish to "See" the options able to toggle them off at creation, Or heck they can get rid of the romances altogether if they so desire.

------------Witch ones---------------

It has come to my attention that there are some people that belive only certain ones should be Bi/gay so simple question witch ones. (Ill try to keep up with you lot :p)

Kira Carsen

Doc

Zenith

LT Iresso

Theran Cedrex

Nadia Grell

Andronikus Revel

Ashara Zavros

Vette

Jaesa Willsaam

Malavi Quinn

LT Pierce

Aric Jorgan

Elara Dorne

Corso Riggs

Risha

Alcavi Spaar

Mako

Torian Caldera

Kaliyo Djannis

Vector Hyllis

Ensign Raia Temple

Take from http://www.hotrodacc.com/swtor/comp.html, If I missed one let me know.

Vote away.

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone.

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss the how and when of implementation of same-gender romances in the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

Please keep your discussions related to the game. Discussions regarding real-life politics, morality and religion do not belong in this thread or anywhere else on the forums. We ask that all replies be on-topic, constructive and respectful, or else they will be removed.

Our official statement:

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars: The Old Republic will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

As a gentle reminder: Discussion of the implementation of toggles to filter same gender romance options is considered discriminatory language and is neither appropriate nor allowed on the forums. Posts along this vein of discussion will be removed. This thread is for the discussion of the how and when of implementation of same gender romances. Please stay constructive, on topic, and be kind to your fellow forum members. If you see someone who is breaking the forum rules, do not respond; please flag their post and the Community Team will investigate. Flag, don't fight!

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

• Stay on Target - Please keep discussion on topic.
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Disruptive - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

For anyone who wishes to discuss [Flirt] options, please do know that we also have a thread for that discussion in the Suggestion Box.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

Hi All,

Looks like there is a new incarnation of this thread and would be a good opportunity for me to delurk and add my support to the topic.

Like most of you I am eagerly awaiting news about SGRAs and how they will manifest for my already leveled characters.

I'm really hoping Mako and Elara are both on the list :)

First page of a new thread yet again... I've lost count of what number this is. :) But let's hope it's in this thread we get actual information on when SGRs are coming, yah?

INCOMING INFODUMP:

Suaine's summation of all information and quotes we had about SGRs prior to the guild summit.

Natashina's SGR Q&A - if you have a question, check here first, odds are good you'll find the answer.

Hope that will be helpful to newcomers. Let's keep this rolling. :D

First page of a new thread yet again... I've lost count of what number this is. :) But let's hope it's in this thread we get actual information on when SGRs are coming, yah?

INCOMING INFODUMP:

Suaine's summation of all information and quotes we had about SGRs prior to the guild summit.

Natashina's SGR Q&A - if you have a question, check here first, odds are good you'll find the answer.

Hope that will be helpful to newcomers. Let's keep this rolling. :D

Did that post seriously reference the phrase "writer soon" - yeah, somehow I just think this feature won't ever happen. They can't even do hood toggles when they were talking about those 3 months ago, or add in Nightmare mode, or fix Ilum after 5 months, etc. - the idea they're scripting and recording flirt options and editing cinematics strikes me as unlikely. And they fired the guy that promised this.

Has the new community manager said anything?

They already said they're not adding to companions in any of the grab bag they announced at E3.

Edited by jgelling

Did that post seriously reference the phrase "writer soon" - yeah, somehow I just think this feature won't ever happen. They can't even do hood toggles when they were talking about those 3 months ago - the idea they're scripting and recording flirt options and editing cinematics strikes me as unlikely. And they fired the guy that promised this.

Has the new community manager said anything?

Someone missed the part where they have said they've written SO much in the last year, they are far far ahead of anything we've ever seen, the SGRA content is coming with the major story content update, that could be as early as 1.4 given the hints towards companion heavy content.

Someone missed the part where they have said they've written SO much in the last year, they are far far ahead of anything we've ever seen, the SGRA content is coming with the major story content update, that could be as early as 1.4 given the hints towards companion heavy content.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20634-e3-2012-darth-hater-interview-with-daniel-erickson

Will we see new story, new missions, and conversations for companions with the new level cap?

Not with this first one, no.

It's not happening this year - they're not even pretending it will. How anyone can believe these people at this point is beyond me. Enjoy the game for what's in it now - of course they say they have all kinds of "stuff" written. They even say they've got stuff from the people they fired. Are they going to spend money to produce this stuff? Not in the foreseeable future.

I hate to be a downer but seriously - you're talking about a feature a guy they fired promised a year ago would be in soon after launch and now definitely won't be in even after the first skill cap increase, so at least another 6 months. There's not enough role-playing in this world to convince me they haven't tossed this overboard as super-low priority on their list.

Edited by jgelling

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/20634-e3-2012-darth-hater-interview-with-daniel-erickson

It's not happening this year - they're not even pretending it will. How anyone can believe these people at this point is beyond me. Enjoy the game for what's in it now - of course they say they have all kinds of "stuff" written. They even say they've got stuff from the people they fired. Are they going to spend money to produce this stuff? Not in the foreseeable future.

I hate to be a downer but seriously - you're talking about a feature a guy they fired promised a year ago would be in soon after launch and now definitely won't be in even after the first skill cap increase, so at least another 6 months. There's not enough role-playing in this world to convince me they haven't tossed this overboard as super-low priority on their list.

I'll take the factual statements and the simplicity that there IS new story content, it's called Makeb, we know what we know, stop spreading your doom gloom never gonna happen spin, because unless the Devs outright state that we won't see any, I have a hard time believing you, they promised this year and they promised with major content, simple as that.

You also blatantly assume they are only doing one level cap increase, or that it will even be related to the level cap AT ALL.

Edited by Rayla_Felana

I'll take the factual statements and the simplicity that there IS new story content, it's called Makeb, we know what we know, stop spreading your doom gloom never gonna happen spin, because unless the Devs outright state that we won't see any, I have a hard time believing you, they promised this year and they promised with major content, simple as that.

You also blatantly assume they are only doing one level cap increase, or that it will even be related to the level cap AT ALL.

Again, from the Darthhater interview:

Quote:

Will we see new story, new missions, and conversations for companions with the new level cap?

Just don't get mad at BW when this doesn't happen is all I'm saying - you've been warned and you have every reason to suspect this isn't going to happen.

Edited by jgelling

Again, from the Darthhater interview:

Quote:

Just don't get mad at BW when this doesn't happen is all I'm saying - you've been warned and you have every reason to suspect this isn't going to happen.

Well you've expressed your opinions, I think that's all we have to talk about.

Hmm... Maybe it's time we start bugging them again about an update?

I would leave it till AFTER 1.3, when the majority of popular demands have swept past, I would simply wait for the questions that ask about Story content update, rather than just flat-out asking for SGRAs.

You're contradicting yourself. The man who gave us our most recent information on SGRs is Daniel Erickson; take a look at the video I posted on the front page, then look at the picture on the interview you linked. It's the same guy. Stephen Reid might not work for BioWare anymore, but you clearly believe Mr. Erickson's word, and he's given us much more recent and specific news on SGRs. Mr. Erickson said in the video that SGRs would be in with the first story update. The E3 promotional video said story updates were coming this year. Therefore, until we hear otherwise, it's safe to say SGRs are still coming this year.

Also: that interview mentioned companion missions and conversations. The romance dialogues are not the same thing - all companions have conversations, not all have romances - and were not even mentioned in the interview. So there goes your other point. And saying that BW won't be adding in SGRs because they still don't have a hood toggle on robes makes no sense at all; that's a graphical and programming issue, not a writing and scripting issue.

I'll take BioWare's word over your doom and gloom - or anyone's, for that matter - any day. People seem to like coming into this thread and making all kinds of proclamations about how one thing or another means BW won't be doing SGRs, and they fail to realize one thing: BioWare works to BioWare's standards, not anyone else's. And I'll believe BW until they give me reason to doubt them.

Edited by MusedMoose
Correcting an error about who was fired and who gave us what info.

I'll take BioWare's word over your doom and gloom - or anyone's, for that matter - any day. People seem to like coming into this thread and making all kinds of proclamations about how one thing or another means BW won't be doing SGRs, and they fail to realize one thing: BioWare works to BioWare's standards, not anyone else's. And I'll believe BW until they give me reason to doubt them.

This. I'd make this post more eloquent but MusedMoose basically said it.

You're contradicting yourself. The man who gave us our most recent information on SGRs is Daniel Erickson; take a look at the video I posted on the front page, then look at the picture on the interview you linked. It's the same guy. Stephen Reid might not work for BioWare anymore, but you clearly believe Mr. Erickson's word, and he's given us much more recent and specific news on SGRs. Mr. Erickson said in the video that SGRs would be in with the first story update. The E3 promotional video said story updates were coming this year. Therefore, until we hear otherwise, it's safe to say SGRs are still coming this year.

Also: that interview mentioned companion missions and conversations. The romance dialogues are not the same thing - all companions have conversations, not all have romances - and were not even mentioned in the interview. So there goes your other point. And saying that BW won't be adding in SGRs because they still don't have a hood toggle on robes makes no sense at all; that's a graphical and programming issue, not a writing and scripting issue.

I don't believe Erickson's word when he says they're going to do something - because it usually doesn't get done. But I absolutely believe him when he says they're NOT going to do something - because they always follow through there - with the one exception of saying back in April they didn't need to merge servers and wouldn't do that.

Promises are easy in the new BW lately: in case you've forgotten about Ilum, open-world PvP, keeping the development team intact after launch, hood toggles, ranked warzones in 1.2, server mergers will never happen back in April, monthly world events, and heck, even this issue, to name a few.

You're free to keep on believing what they said when EA was paying the bills, but now they've said it won't happen this year, and after they fired Stephen Reid, have they even bothered to say it's still being worked on at all? Not that I'd believe them if they said it, but if they're not going to do anything with companions in the next 6 months when (theoretically) they'll be launching an update that raises the skill cap, you'll be romancing the ship droid until then.

Don't get me wrong: I think it'd be a cool feature - not the most important thing in the game by any stretch, but cool. I'd like to see it. I'll go further and bet that most of the BW people would like to do it. I just don't think EA would like to pay for it, at this point. So to me, this galls me as another in that long list of broken promises for a game that was released at least 6 months too soon and that EA now seems to be managing closely.

Edited by jgelling

I just don't think EA would like to pay for it, at this point. So to me, this galls me as another in that long list of broken promises for a game that was released at least 6 months too soon and that EA now seems to be managing closely.

^Assumes they have to pay contracted voice actors anything more than they already do whatsoever or that EA would have to spend anything, they don't, they have already bought all they'll ever need, only thing that is still paid for is the servers and the wages of the dev team.

I don't believe Erickson's word when he says they're going to do something - because it usually doesn't get done. But I absolutely believe him when he says they're NOT going to do something - because they always follow through there - with the one exception of saying back in April they didn't need to merge servers and wouldn't do that.
So you'll believe him when he says something won't happen, even though some of those things have happened. But you won't believe him when he says something will happen, even though some of those things have happened. That makes no logical sense at all.

You're free to keep on believing what they said when EA was paying the bills, but now they've said it won't happen this year, and after they fired Stephen Reid, have they even bothered to say it's still being worked on at all? Not that I'd believe them if they said it, but if they're not going to do anything with companions in the next 6 months when (theoretically) they'll be launching an update that raises the skill cap, you'll be romancing the ship droid until then.
No one from BioWare has said that SGRs will not happen this year. The last news we had was that they are coming this year. We have not had any word about SGRs since then. As I said before, SGRs are not the same thing as new companion dialogues and missions. Please stop spreading misinformation. I would also like to remind you that it was Mr. Erickson's word that SGRs are coming this year, not Stephen Reid's, so any further mention of Mr. Reid being involved or not is completely irrelevant.

Since you're clearly bound and determined to believe whatever you want regardless of logic and what people have actually said, I won't be responding to you again, as there's no point. Good day, sir.

Edited by MusedMoose

You tell 'em, Moose :p

Now to get back on track, new thread again? Sheesh, we've gone through at least five now, haven't we? Oo I'm glad this topic is still being discussed after all this time though. I really am looking forward to future SGR content, with male and female companions, and of course like many I have a few in my sights already *cough*Quinn and Risha*cough* but oh well! :D

I do hope we get a real update on this after the new patch though.

You tell 'em, Moose :p
Eh heh heh... I hope that didn't come off as mean. :eek: It just bothers me when people make all these claims that they can't back up and call BioWare's people liars while they're at it. It bothers me enough that I have to avoid most of the forums so I don't spend all day making posts like that. I'd eventually lose my temper and get myself in trouble, and I don't want to do that.

Now to get back on track, new thread again? Sheesh, we've gone through at least five now, haven't we? Oo I'm glad this topic is still being discussed after all this time though. I really am looking forward to future SGR content, with male and female companions, and of course like many I have a few in my sights already *cough*Quinn and Risha*cough* but oh well! :D
I think this is the sixth thread, yes. This is the longest thread I've ever been part of. :D And yeah, we can't have a SGR thread without everybody's wish list, can we? Mine remains: Kira, Mako, Nadia, and Ashara, though I wouldn't be against any female companion being available for SGRs. I'm not really interested in romancing male companions, but I'm not against any of them being available for SGRs either.

Though if my Smuggler wasn't already committed to Akaavi, I'd be asking for Corso to be SGR-able, because it would be oddly fitting. And Lt. Pierce seems like he'd be an awesome romance option for anyone, I love his attitude.

I do hope we get a real update on this after the new patch though.
If the rumors about patch 1.4 having a lot of companion content are true, I'm sure we will. BioWare didn't talk about 1.3 until 1.2 was done, so hopefully 1.3 will be out by the month's end, and we'll get some news. Fingers crossed and all that. :)

Now to get back on track, new thread again? Sheesh, we've gone through at least five now, haven't we?

Oooh this is nothing :p I remember pre-launch and pre-open beta when we had threads discussing if this would make it in and then following the "no" we first received, asking why not that went on for some 30+ incarnations. I think I met more people through that thread than I actually have through the game itself :p