New Combat Styles/New Classes ...in the Future

Nebdar

Imperial Trooper?

Tech/vibroblade tech fighter?

What do you mean by "Imperial Trooper?" You can already play the two Imperial Tech-based stories as a Commando or Vanguard. If you are thinking they will add a new origin story, you have misunderstood what is meant by "class" under the new system. Otherwise, I'm not sure what an "Imperial Trooper" combat style could bring to the table beside an emersion-breaking name when used on a Republic character.

As for the idea of the Tech-based Vibroblade user, definitely, a possibility since there are multiple blade-based abilities already in-game and we see NPCs using Vibroblades all the time.

What do you mean by "Imperial Trooper?" You can already play the two Imperial Tech-based stories as a Commando or Vanguard. If you are thinking they will add a new origin story, you have misunderstood what is meant by "class" under the new system. Otherwise, I'm not sure what an "Imperial Trooper" combat style could bring to the table beside an emersion-breaking name when used on a Republic character.

As for the idea of the Tech-based Vibroblade user, definitely, a possibility since there are multiple blade-based abilities already in-game and we see NPCs using Vibroblades all the time.

Imperial Trooper could be a medium range combat style that uses Rifles. Currently, both Rifle combat styles are short range (Vanguard, Operative).

Imperial Trooper could be a medium range combat style that uses Rifles. Currently, both Rifle combat styles are short range (Vanguard, Operative).

Yeah i was supposed to write that,

Maybe a mix of blade and pistol class?

That was pretty obviously a possibility when they first announced that LotS was coming, in the livestream back in July 2021, so almost a year ago now.

So, it's not *news*.

So i missed that information....

But the future is now closer then in 2021

Edited by Nebdar

That could work from a combat style standpoint, but the name would never fly. As previously stated, you can't have a Republic character who is an "Imperial Trooper." All current combat style names are neutral, even the dark and light sided force styles lack a faction-specific name.

You could call that style Infantryman or Rifleman or something like that.

They misleadingly represented it, to be much more than it is. All they gave us was current classes having the choice to play another current classes story. There won't ever be truly new classes on the current game engine, as that would require real coding and more than cut and paste efforts.

They misleadingly represented it, to be much more than it is. All they gave us was current classes having the choice to play another current classes story. There won't ever be truly new classes on the current game engine, as that would require real coding and more than cut and paste efforts.

Which is why it's called origin story and not class.

Personally, I think they could fit in a new Origin Story, as some of the origins don't feel as major to the big picture as others. Could be something else that's going on during those stories.

No. What they proposed was what they delivered (apart from being able to change the original style on an existing character). People out here in Playerland read a bunch of stuff into the original proposal that wasn't there, and were disappointed when the thing they read into the proposal wasn't delivered.

The engine itself has essentially nothing to do with whether there will be new styles. The possibility of new styles is clearly there (and they have hinted that they have things in mind), so all that remains is for them to follow through on those hints and possibilities.

No. What they proposed was what they delivered (apart from being able to change the original style on an existing character). People out here in Playerland read a bunch of stuff into the original proposal that wasn't there, and were disappointed when the thing they read into the proposal wasn't delivered.

The engine itself has essentially nothing to do with whether there will be new styles. The possibility of new styles is clearly there (and they have hinted that they have things in mind), so all that remains is for them to follow through on those hints and possibilities.

Probably one of the most accurate evaluations of the matter!

That said ... Given the current direction and actual product delivered (when compared to previous other promises) ... I have serious doubts that even this will be completed as "suggested".

Again, all they gave us was current classes having the choice to play another current classes story. There won't ever be truly new classes on the current game engine, as that would require real coding and more than cut and paste efforts. 7.0 proves that.

Again, all they gave us was current classes having the choice to play another current classes story. There won't ever be truly new classes on the current game engine, as that would require real coding and more than cut and paste efforts. 7.0 proves that.

and again, the game engine has nothing to do with getting a new class/combat style. There is a difference between the engine being able to support a specific combat style (FYI, it can) and the devs having the funding/time/ability to do the coding and animations.

and again, the game engine has nothing to do with getting a new class/combat style. There is a difference between the engine being able to support a specific combat style (FYI, it can) and the devs having the funding/time/ability to do the coding and animations.

and again, the game engine has everything to do with it, as the current dev team has no depth of knowledge of coding this game engine to be able to add more classes.

• Like 1

It would be hilarious to be talking about the future of SWTOR if it weren't so sad. They promised a grand 10th anniversary update, which was delayed, which was released more broken than normal, and the vast majority of which's features have caused a hemhorraging of players to other games. I only resubbed for one month to finish GS2, in the faint hope that the devs pull their heads out of the sand and give their players what we wanted instead of what they wanted us to like. Been playing FFXIV which starts slower than SWTOR, but, shocker, gets much better with every expansion. Still not as fun as 6.0 or even 5.0 era SWTOR, but this game is unplayable for many who have experienced 6.0.

Rolling the game back to 6.3, reintegrating the few things players by and large did like (dual class, shared credit for non-grouped kills, the little bit of additional story they produced), fixing what they break with that, and then working on continuing the content roll-out, while going back to the drawing board on any endgame changes, would be the smart way to go. But what's left of the SWTOR team seems to be full steam ahead with their "vision" without knowing how to operate their engine or having any regard for their veteran player base (and you can't save a game this old with new players). Coincidentally, back to FFXIV, its initial release was horrible, but they were smart enough to can it, fix it, and remake it into a game people wanted to play.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be much of a future for SWTOR right now. But even I did sub one more time for the sake of completionism (although this time with GS2 they didn't even provide enough tokens for subscribers to get 100% completion in collections for it, whereas for GS1 you could) in the hope that it has one. But it's not looking good at all.

Edited by ElricGrey
  • Thanks 1

and again, the game engine has everything to do with it, as the current dev team has no depth of knowledge of coding this game engine to be able to add more classes.

Yet they were able to separate the combat from story.

I'm betting they can add more combat styles. Pretty sure they even mentioned *somewhere in a live stream* that 7.0 opened more possibility for them.

I mean you can knock me down with legit professional knowledge that states it's not possible with citations :D

Yet they were able to separate the combat from story.

I'm betting they can add more combat styles. Pretty sure they even mentioned *somewhere in a live stream* that 7.0 opened more possibility for them.

I mean you can knock me down with legit professional knowledge that states it's not possible with citations :D

They can't even balance the 16, yes 16, classes we have now. Do you need more proof that a new combat style will be far away? Or is the fact that you either tie it to ALL origin storys and give people a 3rd combat style enough proof that that won't happen? It seems more than just unlikely to say the least.

They can't even balance the 16, yes 16, classes we have now. Do you need more proof that a new combat style will be far away? Or is the fact that you either tie it to ALL origin storys and give people a 3rd combat style enough proof that that won't happen? It seems more than just unlikely to say the least.

Does that really have anything to do with balance or people just not knowing how to play the class and just trying to faceroll everything they come across?

Does that really have anything to do with balance or people just not knowing how to play the class and just trying to faceroll everything they come across?

... yes, it really is balancing, just check parsely.

I'm still optimistic toward the idea, even if I don't have faith in their ability to balance it alongside other combat styles without sacrificing the fun factor to a degree. Thing is, new origin stories could have been done long ago if they wanted to start from later points in the story, which absolutely would be a fine thing to do storywise. Now they have that freedom, but their plates are totally full.

All I'm saying is that we're half way through the year long celebration for the 10th anniversary and the general consensus, even accounting for the previously optimistic and in denial folk, is that this has largely been a failure for the game in the short term. I am hoping they can leverage what positives they managed to eek out some point SOON.

I made a big post about this last year when it was first mentioned in an interview in the run up to 7.0 so it's actually really old news at this point.

Since then we've heard nothing about it.

I for one can't wait to see a new combat style, but the dev team has made me cynical enough to not expect one for at least another year, if not two.

We haven't seen a single piece of new content since 7.0 released and we're halfway through the "YEARLONG 10TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION". Sure there is the daily area and an op with 4 bosses rather than the standard 5, but they should have been there at launch. It's looking like the PvP update isn't even going to come out this year...

Only reason I'm subbed rn is to collect all my GS2 items, it's literally the only thing that's kept me playing.

Personally I want to see a melee tech character who uses a vibrosword/techblade and wrist launcher.

• Thanks 1

LOL When was the game ever balanced?

Seriously it's going to come down to just bioware making more random ad ons to the game just to make the EA shareholders happy.

Edited by ronin_chi_lao
balance dont matter anymore

I would love to see a "Corsair" class that uses Pistols and Vibroblades.

I'd also like to see Sith Beastmasters (which is a Real Thing!) . I'm not sure exactly how that would work, as we already have Companions. I already have a "Beast Master" that's just a Marauder that uses a lot of Beast Mounts and Companions. A comparable Jedi Class would probably be Droid related. It seems to me Jedi used to have some Droid related Force Powers, and of course there's Leeha Narez.