Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Noirish-Jedi
02.22.2012 , 07:48 AM | #981
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
Ok, just a quick point...

Do you guys even realise that the devs are simply not permitted to give out certain information? A person can be fired from work of fined for telling you anything about this thing. So no matter how demanding you are, you will NOT get any news before time comes.
Remember before launch how many questions were there about end game, warzones, companions? Every time the answer was "we cannot talk about this right now".
They cannot talk about this right now! Give it a rest. If you simply can't play the game without SGRA then, no offense, that's your problem. Cancel your sub. Come back later. But please stop pretending to be disciminated or whatever by "lack of comunication". Not every question is answered by the devs. And yes, some people post the same thing every time in Q&A threads.
I've been reading this thread for a while, mainly because I'm interested in the prospect of SGR in game, and I don't recall anyone saying they are being discriminated against. The general consensus seems to be more that it's frustrating that a feature that has been promised to be incoming has completely vanished from public view and no one is clarifying if it's still going to happen or not.

To use your analogy, warzones and companions were constantly shown off pre-launch. Because of this there never was any doubt about the features being in game, even if Bioware were tight lipped about specific detials. But with SGRs there has only been one announcement, and when people ask if it's a feature still being worked on they recieve nothing but silence. It's nowhere near confirmation that they are no longer working on it. But it's understandable why some people who are invested in the idea of SGRs are worried they've been silently scrapped.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 07:56 AM | #982
Quote: Originally Posted by Noirish-Jedi View Post
I've been reading this thread for a while, mainly because I'm interested in the prospect of SGR in game, and I don't recall anyone saying they are being discriminated against. The general consensus seems to be more that it's frustrating that a feature that has been promised to be incoming has completely vanished from public view and no one is clarifying if it's still going to happen or not.

To use your analogy, warzones and companions were constantly shown off pre-launch. Because of this there never was any doubt about the features being in game, even if Bioware were tight lipped about specific detials. But with SGRs there has only been one announcement, and when people ask if it's a feature still being worked on they recieve nothing but silence. It's nowhere near confirmation that they are no longer working on it. But it's understandable why some people who are invested in the idea of SGRs are worried they've been silently scrapped.
Well said indeed.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Uluain
02.22.2012 , 08:01 AM | #983
Quote: Originally Posted by Mechavomit View Post
Ok, just a quick point...

Do you guys even realise that the devs are simply not permitted to give out certain information? A person can be fired from work of fined for telling you anything about this thing. So no matter how demanding you are, you will NOT get any news before time comes.
Remember before launch how many questions were there about end game, warzones, companions? Every time the answer was "we cannot talk about this right now".
They cannot talk about this right now! Give it a rest. If you simply can't play the game without SGRA then, no offense, that's your problem. Cancel your sub. Come back later. But please stop pretending to be disciminated or whatever by "lack of comunication". Not every question is answered by the devs. And yes, some people post the same thing every time in Q&A threads.
Yes, games are developed under a non-disclosure agreement signed by the writers. However, the game company can authorize the release of information at its discretion. That is how we got things like sneak-peeks in the developer blogs, and how they are able to answer questions in the Q&A thread.

Yes, we ask every week. More asked in the second week than the first, and more asked this week than last. And we mean to continue to. I am sorry if that is upsetting to you, but if this content is of no concern to you one way or the other, why are you posting here and not in a thread about something you care about?

We have three threads in which to discuss these topics. This one, one in the Suggestion Box to talk about possible same-gender content beyond the limited scope of companion characters, and the Q&A thread where our input is limited to asking for an update on the status of this content.

If, in fact, it is a non-disclosure agreement that prevents them from discussing it, then they can tell us that. They haven't. The last word - in an interview in another venue - was that they stand by the September Announcement with no further comment.

We would very much like further comment. Invited to ask the Dev Team what we want to know, we have asked. There is no call for you or anyone else to harrass us on account of that. No one is coming into your threads and telling you to stop talking about it. Kindly return the courtesy.

ProfessorCaprion
02.22.2012 , 08:01 AM | #984
Quote: Originally Posted by ZenMondo View Post
{...} I received this game as a belated Christmas present from my ex and her boyfriend {...}
Ha! I thought I was the only one that had this kind of relationship with their ex; my ex and her new fiance just gave me a bunch of Red Dwarf DVDs!

Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
What ruined Anders for me was turning him into an angsty emo git.
I played females in the Dragon Age games, so I never thought Anders flirtation was strange. However, THIS was my problem with Anders; I don't care about his orientation, but he's a lot less fun in Dragon Age 2 than in Dragon Age: Awakenings. For the most part, I don't get why people disliked Dragon Age 2 so much, but this was one of only two complaints I can currently think of with that particular game.

Side Note: If someone can please explain to me the general hatred toward Dragon Age 2, can you please send me a PM explaining the issues? I hardly think all the hate I see can be because of re-used maps and Anders being a whiner. Thanks!

Now, to the main meat of the topic; the "anti-spammers".

I know my moods have swung on this topic, the gamut from optimistic to pessimistic. Like anybody who wants to know what's being done about a game feature, I just want to know more. I don't feel "discriminated" against, and this isn't a game-breaker for me (in fact, I can't think of a single "game-breaking" issue in SWtOR, despite all the rants to the contrary). I just think it's only fair that they disseminate SOME information.

Sure, the Devs may not be allowed to say anything. In fact, I'm almost positive that's why they haven't. My hope is that the one in charge of what's "allowed" to be said realizes that this is something people need to hear about.

If they scrap same-sex relationships entirely (which I highly doubt), I wouldn't quit or even cause a forum ruckus. I'll be sad that I'll never experience the love of Vette, Mako and Nadia, but I'll just go about their companion quests that have been piling up and maybe throw my lot in with... well, none of the male companions actually seem that interesting to me, so far. I'll just not do any romance subplots.

But this is holding up a bunch of companion quests I could be doing, otherwise, right now; just like Legacy is holding me up on making alts in case I may some day be able to play a Togruta. I'm not demanding things be handled in any particular way; I just want to know how and when they WILL be handled.

Mechavomit
02.22.2012 , 08:02 AM | #985
Quote: Originally Posted by Noirish-Jedi View Post
It's understandable, but some poeple here are overly worried and acting like BioWare is "ignoring" them as if they hate them. And asking outside help? Really?
The devs said those will be in game. That is a big enough change to their original plans.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 08:15 AM | #986
Quote: Originally Posted by ProfessorCaprion View Post
Side Note: If someone can please explain to me the general hatred toward Dragon Age 2, can you please send me a PM explaining the issues? I hardly think all the hate I see can be because of re-used maps and Anders being a whiner. Thanks!
I don't get it either. I really love the game. I hate Anders but I think that's just a reasonable reaction to the character. Either way, reasonable or not, it was my reaction.

Now, to the main meat of the topic; the "anti-spammers".

Sure, the Devs may not be allowed to say anything. In fact, I'm almost positive that's why they haven't. My hope is that the one in charge of what's "allowed" to be said realizes that this is something people need to hear about.
I wonder if there's some kind of developer dispute that's stopping them from developing it - disagreements as to how to implement it, or something.

If they scrap same-sex relationships entirely (which I highly doubt), I wouldn't quit or even cause a forum ruckus. I'll be sad that I'll never experience the love of Vette, Mako and Nadia, but I'll just go about their companion quests that have been piling up and maybe throw my lot in with... well, none of the male companions actually seem that interesting to me, so far. I'll just not do any romance subplots.
If I quit TOR it'll be because I'm no longer having fun. No other reason. No SGRAs will lower the fun-o-meter somewhat but it won't make it go right through the floor - IF we know they're not coming.

That's the thing that bugs me the most - no information, no updates, nothing.

Now, Bioware never promised us updates, so I don't think they've broken any promises or anything. But it's highly inefficient, frustrating and disappointing to try and promote constructive discussion about this implementation when we don't know, for example, which conceptual paths are dead-ends because the dev team already has a reason for not implementing that concept.

For example, if they've already decided not to include SGRA content for existing characters, it doesn't matter how much we discuss it. As a result we're likely to waste a HECK of a lot of time discussing the matter when we could be talking about something else and giving suggestions that are actually constructive.

Have they promised updates? No. But if they want us to provide meaningful feedback and suggestions we need some direction, whether it was promised us or not.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Helig
02.22.2012 , 08:46 AM | #987
I played females in the Dragon Age games, so I never thought Anders flirtation was strange. However, THIS was my problem with Anders; I don't care about his orientation, but he's a lot less fun in Dragon Age 2 than in Dragon Age: Awakenings. For the most part, I don't get why people disliked Dragon Age 2 so much, but this was one of only two complaints I can currently think of with that particular game.

Yup, they pretty much ruined Anders. As for the hate towards the game, it feels very unfinished and shallow. Recycled, relatively low-quality zones from 2005, lack of the "big world" feeling, even more pronounced "story railroad" feeling. I simply don't feel as much freedom as I did in BG games, in Fallout, even in Dragon Age I and both Mass Effects.

Although, DAII DLC was solid, I have to give them that.
"I'm not *giving* him cake, I'm *assaulting* him with cake!" - Pinkamena Diane Pie

MoogleNut
02.22.2012 , 09:00 AM | #988
Quote: Originally Posted by LyriaFrost View Post
And if it actually gets answered this friday, I'll post a drawing of Blizz with puppies and kittens.
If it doesn't get answered, can you do a picture of Blizz with huuuge sad anime eyes? If that won't pull at the heart-strings then nothing will

Anyhoo, still on my smuggler, came across a scene last night that could/will pose problems for implementation.

Spoiler

In that scene, how could things be made to work? By allowing the pc to flirt with either npc and thus setting the flag for the rest of the scene to play out?
That would take some work, no doubt, or perhaps leave it as it is? I don't know if the encounter would have led anywhere had my Captain been into men, she isn't so shut him down without a second thought.

If it wasn't meant to lead anywhere, could the scene play out the same only

Spoiler

That scenario would be most amusing - to me at least

Side-note on the DA2 hate - boiled down to people expecting an Origins clone and continuation of The Warden's story (despite all the advertising and dev discussion while DA2 was being made, selective reading on many a gamers' part) No Morrigan, more colour, a voiced protagonist and a less-than heroic story (which I love. Is nice to not be the saviour of everything for a change), and companions designed for all types of gamers not just of the 'straight, white, male' variety. Sure it has it's shortcomings - re-used maps etc, but as with most Bioware games, the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts - just not the parts some people expected or liked. A lot of players forget the series is called 'Dragon Age' not 'The Grey Warden' - I personally love playing different characters in the same world. Unfortunately there are a lot of gamers out there who can't get their head around the fact that people like diffferent things, as we have all encountered. DA2 is not perfect, but it is one of my favourite games and if nothing else was a brave experiment for bioware

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 09:06 AM | #989
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
They will be as optional as the current heterosexual romances.
They aren't as optional as you think. You still see the flirt options, even if you don't want to. I want the option to not see the flirt options for "homosexual" characters, and I want the option to NOT have a homosexual companion. If they are going to put that in the game, they need to have that option available.

I really don't see it happening anytime soon though, as this is a licensed product, so they will have to get George Lucas' permission to include something so controversial into the game. This isn't like their own babies Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where they can do whatever they want.
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

MoogleNut
02.22.2012 , 09:11 AM | #990
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post

I really don't see it happening anytime soon though, as this is a licensed product, so they will have to get George Lucas' permission to include something so controversial into the game. This isn't like their own babies Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where they can do whatever they want.
Bioware must already have George Lucas' permission, since it's been stated that SGRAs WILL be in game. And has been pointed out before, there are already canon homosexual characters in Star Wars Lore - both in the books and the games that SWTOR is based on.

The only real question now is the how and the when.