Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 10:24 AM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by Raiellyn View Post
I'm sorry, but it does very well offend me. I have zero demands for hiding the heterosexual content. I'm fine with it. But bringing the implication that homosexuality is worse than;

-Murder
-Slavery
-Torture
-Non-consensual sex (war-widows on Ord Mantell, anyone?)

I have a right to be offended. If this is "about the children", then they shouldn't be playing this game unless you find all of those above as acceptable life lessons for them. And if this is about you feeling uncomfortable?

Well, I'm not comfortable about torturing someone to death just to get a scrap of information.

And you know what? I don't choose the option when it is given. I don't moan about morals and demand a toggle to turn off such content.

But do I want every player to be forced to spoon Corso? No, of course not. But having an option dedicated to "hiding the gays" is well within my rights to be offended at.
I understand what you are saying but I must politely disagree with you. Nice signature BTW
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

stuffystuffs
02.22.2012 , 10:41 AM | #1012
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
If I may make a suggestion it would be to get off the hate crime vs homosexuality topic because we all have extremely strong opinions on the matter and this conversation is not going anywhere good.
Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 10:42 AM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
I can see where you are going with that, and as such, perhaps not having the "sex-switch" would be a good idea, but perhaps giving the choice for who you have as a companion is a good idea. They have that already in Dragon Age. You can tell a companion to leave. Perhaps that option is the best.
I sort of wish they had the capacity in TOR to tell a companion to leave; I think this is potentially a good idea for many reasons. The problem is that some companions are needed for class quests; I guess they could come back and 'guest star' for the required quests, or maybe it'd be possible to substitute in another companion. Still, this has potential for many reasons.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 10:44 AM | #1014
Quote: Originally Posted by stuffystuffs View Post
Yes, we need a new topic.

Oh, how about...if they do implement SGRA with new characters, what type of person would you want available?
NEW characters? Ooh, that's tricky. Are we talking hero-sexual here, or set-sexuality?
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tsumedai
02.22.2012 , 10:45 AM | #1015
I sort of wish they had the capacity in TOR to tell a companion to leave; I think this is potentially a good idea for many reasons.
On one hand, I'd love to boot Tharan Cedrax out of the airlock at the earliest possible opportunity. On the other, I'm not entirely sure how I'd justify it in-character.

Pros: he's really annoying.
Cons: he might be useful for that whole saving the galaxy thing.

Maybe I'll just toss a coin.

stuffystuffs
02.22.2012 , 10:46 AM | #1016
NEW characters? Ooh, that's tricky. Are we talking hero-sexual here, or set-sexuality?
I'd say they'd be hero-sexual (because I'm sure they'll add in new OGRA).

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 10:46 AM | #1017
I sort of wish they had the capacity in TOR to tell a companion to leave; I think this is potentially a good idea for many reasons. The problem is that some companions are needed for class quests; I guess they could come back and 'guest star' for the required quests, or maybe it'd be possible to substitute in another companion. Still, this has potential for many reasons.
I've only played sentinel so far, and have completed the class story. There is only ONE class quest where a companion is essential, and perhaps a few others where, though not essential, make sense for the companion to be there. It would not be difficult, though, for them to become "guest stars" during these class quests.
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

sparklecat
02.22.2012 , 10:48 AM | #1018
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
You are making a very good point, and one I wish I had an answer for. Perhaps it is hypocritical for to ask for a "sex-switch" and not also ask for a "murder/torture" switch at all.

I can see where you are going with that, and as such, perhaps not having the "sex-switch" would be a good idea, but perhaps giving the choice for who you have as a companion is a good idea. They have that already in Dragon Age. You can tell a companion to leave. Perhaps that option is the best.
Hey, I'm all for giving us the option to boot/kill companions, for way more reasons than this; from a roleplaying point of view, that greatly expands our possibilities and the potential expressions of our characters in general. If you or anyone else wanted to use such a mechanism to get rid of the gay companions, I have absolutely no problem with that going into the game, because it's not something specifically targeted at me or people like me.

On a sidenote, I really appreciate how polite and reasonable you've been about discussing your views here (the equating of hate speech to homosexuals existing was maybe not as polite as it could have been, but I'm hoping it was simply a question of phrasing and possibly not thinking through the implications); I may disagree vehemently, but I'm always happy when we can still all see one another as people deserving of respectful treatment.

LifeOfMessiah
02.22.2012 , 10:51 AM | #1019
Quote: Originally Posted by sparklecat View Post
Hey, I'm all for giving us the option to boot/kill companions, for way more reasons than this; from a roleplaying point of view, that greatly expands our possibilities and the potential expressions of our characters in general. If you or anyone else wanted to use such a mechanism to get rid of the gay companions, I have absolutely no problem with that going into the game, because it's not something specifically targeted at me or people like me.

On a sidenote, I really appreciate how polite and reasonable you've been about discussing your views here (the equating of hate speech to homosexuals existing was maybe not as polite as it could have been, but I'm hoping it was simply a question of phrasing and possibly not thinking through the implications); I may disagree vehemently, but I'm always happy when we can still all see one another as people deserving of respectful treatment.
Though we may disagree on homosexuality, that doesn't mean I can't treat you as a human being. Just as I am against homosexuality, I am against hate speech. We need to learn to treat each other properly, and not as if a certain group/person is beneath us.
Jedi Covenant
Azaryah - Jedi Sentinel

Rayik
02.22.2012 , 10:51 AM | #1020
I was thinking the other day as I was looking through one of the companion customization vendors, that it would be neat to have same gender romances tied into this vendor. IE you could go buy one of the options and it would open up flirt and romance options with that companion. That way the people who would be bothered by even seeing the option appear in normal dialogue options wouldn't get offended. It would also open up the opportunity for that companion character to openly flirt with you in normal conversations.