s15 Rankings

PVPsage

Any news / suggestions / ideas on how the Season 15 rankings are supposed to work?

I'm presuming "something" will change regarding how placements are worked out with the introduction of secondary combat styles. As an example:

> If I queue as a Merc

> But play as an OP

> And get Top 3

Are you awarded top 3 Op or Top 3 Merc???

You played as OP but your base class is merc, which is the only thing that fits into the current structure and past structure of the ranked pvp "leaderboards".

Two things:

I highly doubt SWTOR will change that "structure" of things of rank being counted against starting class.

That would incur actually changing stuff.

And theoretically, someone with the skill to consistently place top 3 on say: operative, could then become top 3 on every class hypothetically by playing operative as a secondary combat style.

So does anyone have any suggestions on solving that paradox?

Otherwise the class system has just became entirely moot, but its also going to most likely be the basis for rank.

Edited by PVPsage

Lol, true.

And theoretically, someone with the skill to consistently place top 3 on say: operative, could then become top 3 on every class hypothetically by playing operative as a secondary combat style.

Yeah and this is a problem. If one could get top 3 on sniper (an exponentially more difficult class this patch) by playing on lethality operative, every single sniper top3 will actually be an operative top3. I think honestly the easiest thing for Bioware to do is to just scrap class top 3s and give out top 48 per solo/team ranked. This will still have the problem that meta classes will make up much more of the plat ranks, but it's better than players cheesing the system to get a sniper top3 title on their operative imo (and this doesn't just go for sniper, same thing applies to every other class that isn't op/mara). Another good/easy option is to just make plat tied to an elo, say like 1600 or 1650. Again, there will be more meta classes that get it, but what can you do.

Edited by joshrva

Few things could happen:

1. They remove Top3 for Plat tier

2. They remove Top3 in general

3. They split the ratings per Class

4. They don't do anything, would be a comolete mess - I bet giving out Top3 is easy though, oh wait! The last like 8 seasons were all screwed up.

So yeah, they probably won't do anything

I think honestly the easiest thing for Bioware to do is to just scrap class top 3s and give out top 48 per solo/team ranked.

A good idea based on the foundation they needed to do something about top3 rewards anyway :o

I think the easiest fix is fairly straightforward. They could create a system that doesn't actually let you queue ranked while your secondary combat style is active. For all intents and purposes with most ranked players, this would just mean we're using the old class based system which is, realistically, acceptable.

I really doubt it'll be that simple though.

In the run up to 7.0 being released the devs did do interviews explaining the train of thought behind the new combat system, and its primary focus was on giving you that extra versatility to customise the playstyle of each toon. It'll be lack luster if they do it like that, and they probably don't want to, so the question's still open for debate. :rak_02:

Edited by PVPsage

idk you could start by balancing the game?

I agree they need to balance the game but no matter what they do there will always be a meta and there will always be more meta classes than not in the top reward tier.

My guess is that they'll remove top 3 entirely, and possibly add a plat tier based on elo as others mentioned. I was already in favor of removing top 3s for a lot of reasons (disparities in server/region, wintrading/throwing, underplayed classes, to name a few), but considering how badly they messed up handing out rewards this season, which was far worse than any such mistakes in the past, they really need to remove them as they undeniably are doing more harm than good for the game mode (and I say this as someone that has enjoyed competing for and getting top 3 the last two seasons).

As for leaderboards, I think it's most likely that people's names will just show up twice if they play different combat styles on the same character. Or they might scrap the leaderboards too, because there wouldn't be much point to them without top 3s anyway.

Any news / suggestions / ideas on how the Season 15 rankings are supposed to work?

I'm presuming "something" will change regarding how placements are worked out with the introduction of secondary combat styles. As an example:

> If I queue as a Merc

> But play as an OP

> And get Top 3

Are you awarded top 3 Op or Top 3 Merc???

You played as OP but your base class is merc, which is the only thing that fits into the current structure and past structure of the ranked pvp "leaderboards".

Two things:

I highly doubt SWTOR will change that "structure" of things of rank being counted against starting class.

So does anyone have any suggestions on solving that paradox?

Otherwise the class system has just became entirely moot, but its also going to most likely be the basis for rank.

Do the people win trading for top 3's or buying top 3 accounts really care what the title says lol? What I would like to see is the titles actually not sucking anymore. They have been terrible since S9. Like somewhere along the line they decided it takes to much brainpower to come up with "fantastically furious" or "Giradda's kind of scum" and lets just do random generic adjectives starting with the word, "THE." The Brutal, the skilled, the accomplished wintrader, the raider...Even the PVE titles are better... Also I want the flairs to go back to the S9 or S8 style. The S10 and its clones are not even close. TBH tho are the devs really gona do anything? Your post already went on their ignore list because the title did not start with the phrases, "cartel market suggestions."

Do the people win trading for top 3's or buying top 3 accounts really care what the title says lol? What I would like to see is the titles actually not sucking anymore. They have been terrible since S9. Like somewhere along the line they decided it takes to much brainpower to come up with "fantastically furious" or "Giradda's kind of scum" and lets just do random generic adjectives starting with the word, "THE." The Brutal, the skilled, the accomplished wintrader, the raider...Even the PVE titles are better... Also I want the flairs to go back to the S9 or S8 style. The S10 and its clones are not even close. TBH tho are the devs really gona do anything? Your post already went on their ignore list because the title did not start with the phrases, "cartel market suggestions."

S12 titles probably the worst in the bunch....the cunning, the sly, the slick. I guess out of all the synonyms for sneaky that the 1 pvp guy decided in his little solo brainstorming sessh during his lunchbreak or on the can; he chose those 3 instead of guileful, foxy or devious which are all equally bad but somewhat better. Foxy would've been perfect tied with a dancer outfit and an edgy legacy name.