Things Can Get Better

JakRoanin

Hi all! :D First of all, I hope everyone and their loved ones are healthy and as safe as possible from the Plague ravaging the world. Thanks to the Devs for sticking in there as well. :)

After spending some time on Star Trek Online, (please don't hate) and coming back to the first love, I have to say there are things I appreciate even more about this game, the quality of voice acting, the graphics, the detail into story and world building... and things that irritate me now that didn't before. To that end I want to jot some stuff down just in case people get some ideas.

1. The character customization in TOR is LAUGHABLE! :mad: Even taking the armor models into consideration meaning no sliders to alter the character models themselves, the options are pitiful. No question TOR outclasses STO in the sheer number of Space Barbie outfits, but compared to STO we have only a limited number of expensive colorization options and a pittance of Hair options, and colors, and cosmetics are pathetic. If there is enough resources to work on flooding the CM with armors then shoot a few for Character Customization we haven't had anything since COPERO! :mad: I won't get into how changing your look in STO is virtually free for everyone, that's another can of tuna, but how long does it take to give us a purple Twi'lek skin anyway? Devs, you're out-of-line here.

2. Can we just scrap the crafting UI here and start fresh? The barely organized and irritating mess is an exercise in sadomasochism! Not to mention that with the CM being flooded regularly with new shiny things crafting Armor, Weapons, even Color Crystals, is barely worth it! We need new and compelling schematics, and the ability to gather Artifact Quality resources on ground at least up to Rank 7!

3.There's a ton of old group content that is just taking up space, re-vamp the rewards and make them fresh and worth doing! This is especially true of Oricon, the GSI missions, The Shroud, etc...

4. Reputation Rewards need serious updating! What is the point of useless ancient gear?

One of the great things about STO is you can upgrade ANY piece of gear to Epic (Gold status) why can't we do that here? Oh, because there's so much bloat and worthless stuff taking up space? Or because, people aren't using their thinking caps. :rolleyes:

TOR is a wonderful game, but some of it really needs updating.

1. The character customization in TOR is LAUGHABLE! :mad: Even taking the armor models into consideration meaning no sliders to alter the character models themselves, the options are pitiful. No question TOR outclasses STO in the sheer number of Space Barbie outfits, but compared to STO we have only a limited number of expensive colorization options and a pittance of Hair options, and colors, and cosmetics are pathetic. If there is enough resources to work on flooding the CM with armors then shoot a few for Character Customization we haven't had anything since COPERO! :mad: I won't get into how changing your look in STO is virtually free for everyone, that's another can of tuna, but how long does it take to give us a purple Twi'lek skin anyway? Devs, you're out-of-line here.

It's been ages since I played Star Trek Online. I don't remember having that many character creation options, but it's possible they added more. Anyway, I agree, TOR does need to update their character creation, and not with one or two new hairstyles, but a broad expansion of options. I get changing to a slider is probably not realistic, but I wish we had more options in general. Like each facial feature being it's own choice( I dream, I know). Also, yeah, purple Twi'lek skin would be awesome.

I wish Leia's Cloud City, and Ewok camp hairstyles were available. Padme has some cool styles too. I'd also like to see more of the hairstyles be available for both genders. There are some that are gender specific but could easily be used on either.

In STO you can make your PC and Comps, look like almost anything within species, and gender specs. And if you choose "Alien" the options are almost infinite. I agree sliders are not an option for this game but new options are not unreasonable.

That's cool. I didn't play STO for very long. The space missions frustrated me to no end, lol. But, they could definitely upgrade the character creation here. It's the worst out there by any stretch, but I'd love to see more variety.

the crafting there is very convoluted too, or at least it was when I plated.

The crafting interface is much, much easier than it is in TOR, if more expensive. Also the Upgrade system is extremely convenient. This crafting system is so messed up and the schematics are a mess as well. It really needs a desperate clean up.

Another advantage STO has is they go back and clean up outdated missions. Take Stalking the Score... mission. The map doesn't show the Jagganeth beast and it takes forever to respawn. Years ago that might have been okay, but now? Is it so hard to mark a map?

Another advantage STO has is they go back and clean up outdated missions. Take Stalking the Score... mission. The map doesn't show the Jagganeth beast and it takes forever to respawn. Years ago that might have been okay, but now? Is it so hard to mark a map?

Actually, it was harder back in the day, since more people were doing it.

And of course, you don't have to kill World Bosses to do that mission. The various loose world foes tagged "<Worthy Jagganath Target>" (I think, if not, only the last word is different) are usable, and nobody much kills them any more, and in any event they respawn on a much shorter timer than World Bosses have.

I agree about the character creation options. I would like to have the possibility to make a character more unique.

And yay for purple Twileks.

A freind of mine likes crafting and he would like to see better options for crafting too. It doesn#t make sense, if most of the things, you can craft, are inferior to those, you get on the CM (armor, dyes ...). You should have some unique recepies, that make crafting more valuable again (and more fun)

I never played STO, despite being more of a Trekkie than a SW fan, but the cc sounds much more fun.

And of course, you don't have to kill World Bosses to do that mission. The various loose world foes tagged "<Worthy Jagganath Target>" (I think, if not, only the last word is different) are usable, and nobody much kills them any more, and in any event they respawn on a much shorter timer than World Bosses have.

There's a spot on hoth, between the imp base can't remember the name, and the heroic {[HEROIC 2+] Pirated Lockbox}, where 4 or 5 spawn, on the hill, you can do a round, and chance instances, then do it again, or even wait 5 mins, the respawn is quite short

This is a perfectly good point however, my objection isn't so much difficulty, so much as the time wasting. If the locations were marked then the respawn would be nothing. In general people have finite amounts of time to devote to playing games. There shouldn't be a ton of "dead space" in order to complete quests.

I stand by the fact that older content in this game can and should be revamped. The Shroud, the GSI missions, the Dread Seed missions, Oricon, ETC... all of these need at least reward updates to make them viable.

This is a perfectly good point however, my objection isn't so much difficulty, so much as the time wasting. If the locations were marked then the respawn would be nothing. In general people have finite amounts of time to devote to playing games. There shouldn't be a ton of "dead space" in order to complete quests.

I stand by the fact that older content in this game can and should be revamped. The Shroud, the GSI missions, the Dread Seed missions, Oricon, ETC... all of these need at least reward updates to make them viable.

There is a few maps out there on vulk, dulfy, etc. with the locations. Not as handy as locations on our map, but it's better than nothing.

Better rewards are always good, but i can't imagine them increasing them.

I really hope the Devs will take into consideration using and maintaining what they already have.

I believe that there are several of us who have a good, sound "wish list" as well.

I also think it's an honest assessment to conclude that the natives are indeed getting restless !!

;)

Restless I understand, but I'm not there yet. But I truly believe that if BW just tweaks old content just a bit, people will re-play it. For example the Seeker Missions could be re-vamped. The point is it takes less resources to work with what you've got and potential for more profit. This is basic economics.

Restless I understand, but I'm not there yet. But I truly believe that if BW just tweaks old content just a bit, people will re-play it. For example the Seeker Missions could be re-vamped. The point is it takes less resources to work with what you've got and potential for more profit. This is basic economics.

The issue with this is, if they spend time tweaking old content, you have people complaining that they aren't putting out new stuff. Yet when they put out new stuff, people complain that they have ignored old stuff. I wish there was a happy medium, but I haven't seen it yet.

The issue with this is, if they spend time tweaking old content, you have people complaining that they aren't putting out new stuff. Yet when they put out new stuff, people complain that they have ignored old stuff. I wish there was a happy medium, but I haven't seen it yet.

Nothing wrong with "updating" some of the older stuff ... in a manner of speaking ... but the simple fact is that any game that does not continue to grow and provide fresh material will eventually simply fade away.

Not paying attention to existing content: taking care of matters such as bugs, will also hurt any game.

Yes there must be a balance of both worlds (so to speak).

This game has seen both good and bad of both worlds. Hopefully the future will see the growth AND the proper attention to the details of day to day business that is needed.

Yes .. it IS EXPENSIVE. YES it does take a HUGE effort. Sometimes I'm almost certain that some wonder if it is really worth it. MANY of us do.

At any rate ... no point in babbling.

Nothing wrong with "updating" some of the older stuff ... in a manner of speaking ... but the simple fact is that any game that does not continue to grow and provide fresh material will eventually simply fade away.

Not paying attention to existing content: taking care of matters such as bugs, will also hurt any game.

Yes there must be a balance of both worlds (so to speak).

This game has seen both good and bad of both worlds. Hopefully the future will see the growth AND the proper attention to the details of day to day business that is needed.

Yes .. it IS EXPENSIVE. YES it does take a HUGE effort. Sometimes I'm almost certain that some wonder if it is really worth it. MANY of us do.

At any rate ... no point in babbling.

I fully agree, we do need a balance. BUT we've seen the complaints before, doesn't mean it shouldn't happen, we just know someone will complain. Just look at the history of these forums...lol

Guys, this is where the "It's not new content goes" off the rails... IF there are good rewards, and it's fun to do, then it's good content. Okay, so it's not a finger breaking Operation... If you get good stuff from it it's still worth the TIME! I hate to be one of "those" people but it's Entitled, elitist thinking that only the oldest and most awesome players are the only ones that matter.

I've been playing 3yrs. I'm relatively 'young' in this game. Guess what? There are things I still haven't done in this game that I want to do but can't find people who want to do them. The group stuff on Oricon for example. Haven't done The Shroud, or Dread Seeds, because nobody wants to do them anymore because the rewards are crap! I haven't even gotten all my datacrons! Why? Because I can't find a group to help with the jumping puzzles that I can't manage because of my Cerebral Palsy. I just tried for the blue one on Belsavis and it has been bugged for years!

Updating old stuff might not matter to Hard Core, "give me ne stuff" people. But people like me just want to enjoy our time with content be it new or old.

IF there are good rewards, and it's fun to do, then it's good content.

Fun for you, isn't always fun for others.

I hate to be one of "those" people but it's Entitled, elitist thinking that only the oldest and most awesome players are the only ones that matter.

No one actually said ANYTHING like that...that's a pure <redacted> comment.

I've been playing 3yrs. I'm relatively 'young' in this game. Guess what? There are things I still haven't done in this game that I want to do but can't find people who want to do them. The group stuff on Oricon for example. Haven't done The Shroud, or Dread Seeds, because nobody wants to do them anymore because the rewards are crap!

people still group for some of the stuff, as it's connected to achievements. The rewards won't change that.

I haven't even gotten all my datacrons! Why? Because I can't find a group to help with the jumping puzzles that I can't manage because of my Cerebral Palsy. I just tried for the blue one on Belsavis and it has been bugged for years!

This I understand, I have my own limitations, and have had help getting datacron's. Thankfully, (at least of SF) if you ask for help with the datacron's, most of the times you do get help. If it wasn't for some of the great players on SF, I would have gotten the datacron master title.

Updating old stuff might not matter to Hard Core, "give me ne stuff" people. But people like me just want to enjoy our time with content be it new or old.

Again this is either an attack on players, or a <redacted> comment, either way it's not helpful.

Edited by DarkTergon

Fun for you, isn't always fun for others.

No one actually said ANYTHING like that...that's a pure troll comment.

Again this is either an attack on players, or a troll comment, either way it's not helpful.

I'm I'm not arrogant enough to think That what is fun for me will be fun for everyone else But I do know I'm not the only 1 who likes to play a game just to play the game Regardless of how many times It's been played before. No I'm not trying to be a troll But I am critiquing a way of group think .reiterating that only new and challenging content counts as good content I've seen it constantly on these boards and it is unfair to other people I don't think anyone on this thread said that but it's part of the problem.

And in this conflict between creating and fixing, the people that pull BW's purse strings are likely on the side of creating, even if they leave a trail of broken content in their wake. They want some kind of assurance that the budget the team's being given every year is being used in a forward-thinking productive way, and spending a whole cycle of the money on fixes for already created stuff just says "ok, these guys are terrible at working through spaghetti code, why are we funding this game?"

What would sound better to you if you were doing an audit or a quarterly assessment of their work? "We're adding to the story, plus a new character and CM advert area in the game!" OR..."We're repairing the mission board bugs that came about while reopening the decade-old Bounty Broker event" ?

Edited by MagicTerror

I'm not just talking about bug fixing. Speaking of the BH Event they could add more missions, better rewards, new achievements etc.. why is this a bad thing? New missions are NEW content. New Rewards mean better things to play for which is good! Also, it's cost effective in the plague filled world!

Oricon's a daily area so it doesn't need revamping. People do it all the time. It does the job it was created for (though I'd be all for a solo-story mode so everyone could finish the damn story there). As for the Shroud and Dread Seed arcs; they don't need new rewards. Like Oricon, they're perfectly viable - they're just old.

What they do need is to be added to the group finder so people actually have a chance of being able to complete them - or tweaked slightly so they can be completed solo (which they should have been in the first place; no story quest should end with a group mission when it doesn't start that way).

• 3 weeks later...
Well, one thing got much better, the Devs proved with the live stream that...

Dead for some isn't dead for all!

Yay! Now, if they could bring back Watcher 2, and give the ladies a deep read lipstick and 60's cat's eye eyeliner, I'd be happy for a bit. But I'd also love Depa Billab's hairstyle and bindis, (The markings)