Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Dear Story Team, What Year Are We Currently In?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediQuaker
06.19.2020 , 07:51 AM | #161
What a surprise! You got an answer from the devs and people are still not happy. I'm shocked! 😂 😍
Hold water, a sieve may not, but hold another sieve, it will - Yoda..

Ylliarus
06.19.2020 , 05:40 PM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by JediQuaker View Post
What a surprise! You got an answer from the devs and people are still not happy. I'm shocked! 😂 😍
Uh... have you even read the responses since Charles Boyd's post? Because it seems you haven't. I have yet to see someone in here who isn't happy with the incredible and elaborate answer Charles Boyd gave. In fact, many have expressed their joy at receiving a clarification, especially players from the RP community I am a part of. The only thing is that people have additional questions. Surely it is not a crime to have additional questions? In fact, Charles Boyd urged us to post suggestions, questions or contradictions we noticed.

You're looking for a problem where there is none, mate. I suggest you create problems in another thread.
The One, True Lord Ryssius
Playing SWTOR since November 2012
Darth Malgus [EU]

CharlesBoyd
06.22.2020 , 02:06 PM | #163 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Some more quick answers here, but it looks like folks are generally feeling good with what we’ve put together – we’ll stick with this going forward and look for opportunities to present it more “formally” sometime down the road. Huge thanks to all of you for joining in the discussion!

Quote: Originally Posted by MrEndymion View Post
Question for the story team as well, at the current point that in-game lore is at, what age would you say the 8 classes are, if you had to guess?
I don’t like to give any “canon” age for the player characters; that should be left up to the player themselves as much as possible IMO

Quote: Originally Posted by LtGeneralGezlin View Post
Are the ages for the companions as stated in the Encyclopedia their ages at the time we meet them in game (For example, is Risha 21 when we meet her in the Prologue?) or their ages around the time of 13 ATC/ 3640 BBY?
Oof… I’m actually not sure what everyone’s intent was when we put that together. There were numerous authors on the encyclopedia, and all class writers were consulted, but I forget if we made this specific distinction when presenting the information.

Giving it a quick look, I’m going to say that the companion ages in the encyclopedia are probably intended as their ages when they’re recruited, not at 13 ATC. For example, I don’t think Kira is intended to be younger than Nadia, but Nadia is listed in the encyclopedia as 22 while Kira is listed as 20.

Quote: Originally Posted by BenKatarn View Post
We can make it relatively simple: is Annihilation / Battle of Duro supposed to be set the same year as Ilum, or the year after?
Since Drew said pretty explicitly that he intended it for 13 ATC, I’d prefer not to override that if there isn't some glaring conflict to resolve (it doesn't seem like it currently). I can’t recall – do any characters in Annihilation mention Malgus’s uprising?

My main problem with all this is that it would mean that the Alliance takes down the Eternal Empire in the same year that it was established, which just rubs me the wrong way.
I’ve seen people here and elsewhere saying that it feels wrong in both directions – some, like you, feel it’s too fast; others feel like it couldn’t possibly take that long based on how the chapters themselves feel. I suspect the timing here will never please everyone, but in your specific case I would personally look to the fact that the Alliance is made up of staggeringly powerful and skilled people who (until it was formed) were unable to combine their efforts. Once they could, it doesn’t seem like such a stretch to me that things took a turn within a year, IMO.

is there an IRL month that corresponds to the change in a year in the game?
Again, for simplicity’s sake, I use the IRL year rollover (December->January) to mark the in-game year rollover. I admit this is arbitrary, but IMO it’s just one more area where the vagueness of time in Star Wars doesn’t actually hold up to scrutiny because it was never meant to. What month was the Treaty of Coruscant signed? Was it coincidentally the same exact month as the Battle of Yavin, thousands of years later? Wouldn’t there be times where Event A could be in 13 ATC, and Event B is in 14 ATC, but they’re both in 3640 BBY? Or vice versa?

That way lies madness, so let’s just all pretend Malgus was crashing the Jedi’s new year’s party in Deceived and not dig any deeper into this hole

Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
Would it be possible that the Sith Empire used a different dating system, one that is still recent but more geared towards the Empire's priorities and values?
I think that would totally make sense, but I’d personally prefer not to introduce even more complexity into all of this. Furthermore, a new calendar system would constitute new lore, and therefore be something to discuss with our LFL partners; it’s not something I could simply declare in a forum post. So I wholeheartedly support roleplayers using that idea, but I can’t make it an official “thing” at this time

And as long as I'm here, there were a few questions that aren’t really on the topic of the thread, but I’ll indulge real quick

Quote: Originally Posted by LtGeneralGezlin View Post
What is the relation between our HK-51 and the HK-50s and HK-51s from Knights of the Old Republic II, and where does HK-55 fit into that line? Is he a repurposed and modified HK-51 built specifically for Lana, or is he a one of a kind creation by the Empire after we recovered HK-51 from Section X?
I was under the impression that HK-51 was only in deleted content for KOTOR II? As for HK-55, our intent was that he’s his own new and improved model created by the Empire, but only produced in very limited quantities (which is why we haven’t run into any others yet).

You know, I would still like to know why you decided to "uplift" a character such as Savik, who had exactly one appearance and didn't even speak back then.
I chose her precisely because she was unmemorable in her first appearance. I wanted a character that players were likely to have fought, but unlikely to remember, so that they could experience that feeling of having a huge impact on a character’s life without ever having considered it at the time.

Regarding the role of Kira and Scourge in ending Vitiate, did they know about the Alliance at that point?
I’d hesitate to get into too much “official” detail on stuff like that, since leaving it open a bit leaves room for a cool short story or something in the future. But what you go on to suggest is more or less what’s in my head at the moment – they were focused on their own thing in obscure corners of the galaxy, and not all that connected to galactic events. But consider that unofficial for now.
Charles Boyd | Creative Director
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Nick_J_Herrmann
06.22.2020 , 03:26 PM | #164
For anyone interested in seeing specifically my math for determining the in-game story year, see the below tables from my fan-made timeline. Unfortunately, the SWTOR.com forums don't support script for a table, but below are the tables as retrieved from my own timeline built to assist roleplayers so be sure to check out the above link to see the information in easier-to-read tables..

START DATE | END DATE | ESTIMATED IN-GAME YEAR (ATC)

12.20.11 | 12.19.12 | 13
12.20.12 | 12.19.13 | 14
12.20.13 | 12.19.14 | 15
12.20.14 | 10.20.15 (KotFE) | 16
10.20.15 (KotFE) | 12.19.15 | 21
12.20.15 | 12.19.16 | 22
12.20.16 | 12.19.17 | 23
12.20.17 | 12.19.18 | 24
12.20.18 | 12.19.19 | 25
12.20.19 | Current | 26

GAME TIMELINE

Using the dates from the above chart and applying them to the release of content since initial game release, we can deduce the following approximate dates for in-game events:

DATE | ESTIMATED IN-GAME YEAR (ATC) | GAME UPDATE | DESCRIPTION

12.20.11 | 13 | | game released
01.18.12 | " | 1.1: Rise of the Rakghouls | Kaon Under Siege FP
04.12.12 | " | 1.2: Legacy | Explosive Conflict OP, Black Hole daily area, Lost Island FP
09.26.12 | " | 1.4: Terror From Beyond | TfB OP
11.13.12 | " | | Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation published
11.15.12 | " | 1.5: HK-51 Activated | Section X daily area
12.11.12 | " | 1.6: Ancient Hypergate | Ancient Hypergate WZ, Heroic space missions
02.12.13 | 14 | 1.7: Return of the Gree | Relics of the Gree event
04.14.13 | " | 2.0: Rise of the Hutt Cartel and Scum and Villainy | RotHC expansion, macrobinocular / seeker droid missions, SnV OP
08.06.13 | " | 2.3: Titans of Industry | CZ-198 story arc
10.01.13 | " | 2.4: The Dread War | Oricon daily area, Dread Fortress and Dread Palace OPs
12.03.13 | " | 2.5: Galactic Starfighter Early Access | GSF
02.04.14 | 15 | 2.6: Galactic Starfighter | Kuat Drive Yards FP
04.08.14 | " | 2.7: Invasion | Forged Alliances story arc, Korriban and Tython FPs, Denon GSF map
08.19.14 | " | 2.9: Galactic Strongholds Early Access | Manaan FP
09.09.14 | " | 2.10: Forged Alliances | Rakata Prime FP
12.02.14 | " | 3.0: Shadow of Revan Early Access | Rishi, Yavin IV, x2 Rishi FPs, Ravagers and ToS OPs
04.28.15 | 16 | 3.2: Rise of the Emperor | Ziost
10.20.15 | 16 / 21 | 4.0: Knights of the Fallen Empire Early Access | KotFE first 9 chapters, Star Fortress FP
02.11.16 | 22 | 4.1: Anarchy in Paradise | Chapter X
03.10.16 | " | 4.2: Disavowed | Chapter XI
04.07.16 | " | 4.3: Visions in the Dark | Chapter XII
05.05.16 | " | 4.4: Profit and Plunder | Chapter XIII, Eternal Championship
06.03.16 | " | 4.5: Mandalore's Revenge | Chapter XIV
06.30.16 | " | 4.6: The GEMINI Deception | Chapter XV
08.11.16 | " | 4.7: The Battle of Odessen | Chapter XVI
09.07.16 | " | 4.7.1: Shroud of Memory | Bonus chapter
11.29.16 | " | 5.0: Knights of the Eternal Throne Early Access | KotET 9 chapters, initial 5 Uprisings
01.24.17 | 23 | 5.1: Defend the Throne | Secondary 5 Uprisings
04.18.17 | " | 5.2: The War for Iokath | Iokath story arc and daily area, GftM OP
08.22.17 | " | 5.4: Crisis on Umbara | Umbara FP
11.28.17 | " | 5.6: A Traitor Among the Chiss | Copero FP
05.03.18 | 24 | 5.9: The Nathema Conspiracy | Nathema FP
12.11.18 | " | 5.10: Jedi Under Siege | Ossus
06.04.19 | 25 | 5.10.3: The Dantooine Incursion | Pirate Incursion event
10.22.19 | " | 6.0: Onslaught | Onderon, Mek-Sha, Corellia FP, Dxun OP
02.13.20 | 26 | 6.1.: Pinnacles of Power | minor story update

Ylliarus
06.22.2020 , 03:47 PM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by CharlesBoyd View Post
Since Drew said pretty explicitly that he intended it for 13 ATC, I’d prefer not to override that if there isn't some glaring conflict to resolve (it doesn't seem like it currently). I can’t recall – do any characters in Annihilation mention Malgus’s uprising?
Yes, actually. Darth Karrid was Malgus' apprentice and one of the reasons why the Dark Council is hesitant to accept her as a new member of the Council is because she was Malgus' apprentice and he tried to seize the Imperial throne for himself. So, the novel does actually states its events occur after the Battle of Ilum and Malgus' uprising.

On page 61 of my copy of Annihilation Darth Marr explicitly says this about Darth Karrid after Darth Ravage had expressed his outrage at the idea of putting her on the Dark Council because she was Malgus' apprentice: "But I will remind you that Darth Karrid turned her back on Malgus when he turned his back on us".

That exchange between Ravage and Marr on page 61 explicitly confirms the novel happens after the events on Ilum

I think that would totally make sense, but I’d personally prefer not to introduce even more complexity into all of this. Furthermore, a new calendar system would constitute new lore, and therefore be something to discuss with our LFL partners; it’s not something I could simply declare in a forum post. So I wholeheartedly support roleplayers using that idea, but I can’t make it an official “thing” at this time
Of course! That makes perfect sense it was more a question that I and a few others were wondering about! But I admit, it would be nice if there was a reference made to an Imperial calendar in the story at some point. It wouldn't have to name any specific dates, but it would be a cool bit of immersive lore if it was mentioned there was another calendar within the Empire!
Darth Malgus [EU]

Selenial
06.22.2020 , 04:59 PM | #166
I was under the impression that HK-51 was only in deleted content for KOTOR II? As for HK-55, our intent was that he’s his own new and improved model created by the Empire, but only produced in very limited quantities (which is why we haven’t run into any others yet).
I know this isn't massively related to the thread, but it's a question I've wondered for a while. Do you guys consider cut content from Kotor II to be canon (in the loose term, since obviously they're all under the legends umbrella)? I always thought yes, considering HK-51 was in the game. I know Dave Filoni considers unfinished TCW scripts to be canon, and Leland Che considers deleted scenes for ROTS/ATOC/TPM canon unless contradicted, but those are examples more of people deciding the projects they were involved with will influence their works. You guys obviously weren't involved with Kotor 2, but do you let its cut content influence your work? If we ever saw Telos, would you consider the HK factory ruins to be there?

I'm reminded of this quote by Anthony Davis, who sort of indicates to him that it is:
Quote:
"One of the things we would talk about as the various Sith Restoration projects went on was just how lucky we were that the game was so well received by some great guys like you two guys, you would fix that which we could not fix. We were not allowed to. We're just - we're really appreciative of that.

You helped complete the experience for many people. Many people who get the game for the first time, like from a Steam sale or whatever, their friends are going to tell them, 'Yeah, go get The Sith Lords Restored Content Mod, put that on their first - that's the way it was intended to be.' And that's correct. And just, really, thank you guys from the bottom of my heart, I mean it."
Either way, I'd love to know what you thought. I know there wasn't tonnes of deleted content for Kotor 2, but there was enough important stuff that it could still have quite an effect on TOR's lore, 300 years later.
We all live or die as Krayt wills, Stryfe. At his word, I would cut out my own heart. Or yours.

Ylliarus
06.22.2020 , 05:49 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
If we ever saw Telos, would you consider the HK factory ruins to be there?
Tbh, I have been wondering for ages what's been going on, on Telos IV. Especially since Star Wars galaxy maps seem to put the planet in what should be Sith Empire space, based on logical deduction of how the borders are described to look in the timeline videos. So, I'd love to see the planet pop-up ingame sometime, either in a codex entry or story mention
Darth Malgus [EU]

Goreshaga
06.22.2020 , 06:06 PM | #168
Giving it a quick look, I’m going to say that the companion ages in the encyclopedia are probably intended as their ages when they’re recruited, not at 13 ATC. For example, I don’t think Kira is intended to be younger than Nadia, but Nadia is listed in the encyclopedia as 22 while Kira is listed as 20.
About companions ages, how old are Mako and Torian when we meet them ?
I found 19 for Mako and 17 for Torian, but i find it hard to believe he'd be 2 years younger than her. And him being less than 18 would be somewhat odd honnestly.
I also found 17 for Mako and 18 for Torian, so i just don't know...

And how old is Lana too ? I'd say she's probably around Theron's age, which would make her around 40 by now, but her age was never stated.
In need of more Arcann, Aric, Torian, Vector, and a lot, lot, lot more Theron.
There's nothing like geting too much Theron

My characters

Nevaeh-Heaven
06.22.2020 , 06:29 PM | #169
Regarding your last post CharlesBoyd.

I think overall that is the best post by any member of BW I have ever seen in the long years I have been playing. The year we are in means nothing to me but clearly it does to others. Credit where credit is due.

LtGeneralGezlin
06.22.2020 , 07:17 PM | #170

This is totally on me. I was under the impression that the HK-51's were mentioned in the New Essential Guide to Droids book, but when I looked back at it, they weren't in there. Knowing me, I based that off of when I first saw the Wookieepedia entry for HK-51 back after he was announced to be coming to TOR. so, ignore my Faux pas, But, I mean an HK with icy blue eyes? How could I not like it?!? Haha

But thanks for answering my other questions! The Encyclopedia is always by my desk when I am writing!