Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Choosing Your Choices: SWTOR and Story Skipping

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Choosing Your Choices: SWTOR and Story Skipping

Elessara's Avatar


Elessara
09.03.2020 , 08:21 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I didn't say it makes it a solid one. I said that it's *BioWare's* view of how it should be, and therefore that lends a great deal of *practicalities* weight to the argument. I don't think the overall thing is completely correct - at the very least it should base the path on your alignment toggle instead of your faction - although almost anything more detailed would rapidly become unweildy from a UI point of view, to say nothing of the arguments about which decisions should be included, nor of the ongoing evolution of the contents of that path-choosing UI as more story content is released with more decisions that should or should not be added to the list.
If you use a token boost then what would the alignment toggle be? Unless they add that into the character creation UI because otherwise you don't have a chance to select your toggle before getting into the game.

The problem may simply be a programming one, especially with regards to token boosted characters. Such characters drop you right into the beginning of whatever part of the story (beginning of KotFE or KotET unless that's changed) so when exactly would someone be able to choose whatever choices are to be made?

And there are so many choices that can be made. A lot of them may not have a huge impact but even if a choice results in a single line of dialogue being changed then the game needs to know which one to use so all of those choices would need to be included.

What would happen if someone boosted a character class they've never played before? Now they're being given this huge list of choices without any context unless the game is going to completely summarize the story for them?

But let's say we ignore token boosted characters and we're only talking about characters that want to skip KotFE/KotET/Iokath/JUS (not even sure you can skip JUS yet). As has been mentioned that's still a ton of choices (with varying degrees of consequences or lack thereof).

My personal opinion is the devs have more important things to work on. The logistics alone sounds like it would be a godawful headache to me not to mention trying to actually implement it. But maybe they'll surprise us. Stranger things have happened.

Raazmir's Avatar


Raazmir
09.03.2020 , 08:53 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
If you use a token boost then what would the alignment toggle be? Unless they add that into the character creation UI because otherwise you don't have a chance to select your toggle before getting into the game.

The problem may simply be a programming one, especially with regards to token boosted characters. Such characters drop you right into the beginning of whatever part of the story (beginning of KotFE or KotET unless that's changed) so when exactly would someone be able to choose whatever choices are to be made?

And there are so many choices that can be made. A lot of them may not have a huge impact but even if a choice results in a single line of dialogue being changed then the game needs to know which one to use so all of those choices would need to be included.

What would happen if someone boosted a character class they've never played before? Now they're being given this huge list of choices without any context unless the game is going to completely summarize the story for them?

But let's say we ignore token boosted characters and we're only talking about characters that want to skip KotFE/KotET/Iokath/JUS (not even sure you can skip JUS yet). As has been mentioned that's still a ton of choices (with varying degrees of consequences or lack thereof).

My personal opinion is the devs have more important things to work on. The logistics alone sounds like it would be a godawful headache to me not to mention trying to actually implement it. But maybe they'll surprise us. Stranger things have happened.
The way to do it would be a toggle upon character creation just like the "are you sure u want to" popup. same thing just "choose light or dark"
Mk'dermott 55 Sniper
Makkant 55 powertech

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
09.04.2020 , 02:57 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Elessara View Post
If you use a token boost then what would the alignment toggle be? Unless they add that into the character creation UI because otherwise you don't have a chance to select your toggle before getting into the game.
Pretty much exactly that. A setting in the final panel, probably just below or just above the entry box for the character's name, that by default is set to Light for Pubsiders and Dark for Impsiders, but that we can change, and that setting determines your initial Alignment Toggle position.

And for all starting points, whether you start at 1, 60, 70 or whatever the next "start later in the story" position is.
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

ACGOG's Avatar


ACGOG
09.04.2020 , 04:31 AM | #24
I'm actually glad this was brought back up again.

I've been playing on and off since release. During this time I've made a bunch of different characters and gotten them through various parts of the story. My Marauder was my most recent main.

I'm back after a recent break and hadn't gotten the opportunity to play Onslaught and wanted to check out the new story. I wasn't feeling my Marauder anymore so I switched back to my one character who started it all, my Assassin. However, I didn't want to go through KOTET/KOTFE or whatever they are again just to play the new expansion: I already did them on both my Mara and my Merc, so I decided to skip for the first time ever in playing the game.

On my previous characters, I got through the whole arc with Senya and saved Arcann. Well, he's dead now. Same with Vette.

I haven't really dived into my companions just yet to see who else is dead but I almost feel like the character is tainted now. I should have realized exactly what skipping was going to do but trusted that it would be done right.

I've been looking around to see if I can replay some of the chapters or just reset the expansion to go back and make a different decision but it doesn't seem to be possible, and that's frustrating - especially for a story driven game like this one.

So yeah, just a slightly different perspective I guess: I've already played the story, I've already done the other expansions, I just wanted to get my other character up to date and I feel like I was punished for it.

KnightKirkyBoy's Avatar


KnightKirkyBoy
09.04.2020 , 04:54 AM | #25
It's definitely a good idea though I doubt BW would impliment it into the game. but maybe they'll surprise us and actually impliment it...
"Do Or Do Not. There Is No Try." - Yoda
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/WRRdT4 - (Gives you 7 day free sub and items!)
"This Is The Way." - Din Djaring "There Is No Life Without The Force" - Me

denavin's Avatar


denavin
09.04.2020 , 04:30 PM | #26
Ok, lets say they do implement this. It would only make sense if this was only for Experienced players that have gone through the story line at least once or it WILL cause problems and complaints...

Quote:
Example:

A New player comes to SWToR and sees the level 75 token and uses it to create a fully completed character at level 75. The choices pop up requiring multiple decisions about how your Character will end up in the game's story line. They will have NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF THESE MEAN. So random choices are made because they mean NOTHING to them and will not know how or what to choose. New player then proceeds to find out that they do not have the companions they want or that they have gone traitor to their faction. New player will now come onto these forums and moan and complain how the Game is Garbage that the game did this to them or they did not expect that outcome, ect.
Don't think it won't happen either. I have a friend that has NEVER played SWToR. Saw the Level 75 Token, made a character then proceed to try to do Directive 7 Flashpoint, Solo. Yes they got there butt totally kicked, repeatedly. Yes they did complain like a drunken sailor. Yes they did blame the SWToR for THEIR Stupidity.

It would need to be restricted to Veteran Players ONLY and the requirement would be (wait for it) The COMPLETION OF THE ENTIRE STORY LINE for it to be available.

Also No Titles, Bonuses Or extra Companions should be included these need to be EARNED by completing their individual story's to receive them. No Romances either. In order to Romance you need TIME to FLIRT with your intended. You can not simply choose from a list like your choosing a PokeMon.... " Lana Baniko I CHOOSE YOU". This is to be your Romantic Other not a piece of MEAT be it Beef or Fish.
HK-55: "Do you think she passed her test?"
Z0-OM: "According to my sensors.... NO
."
"I am One with the Force, The Force is with me"

ceryxp's Avatar


ceryxp
09.04.2020 , 05:21 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by denavin View Post
Ok, lets say they do implement this. It would only make sense if this was only for Experienced players that have gone through the story line at least once or it WILL cause problems and complaints...

Don't think it won't happen either. I have a friend that has NEVER played SWToR. Saw the Level 75 Token, made a character then proceed to try to do Directive 7 Flashpoint, Solo. Yes they got there butt totally kicked, repeatedly. Yes they did complain like a drunken sailor. Yes they did blame the SWToR for THEIR Stupidity.

It would need to be restricted to Veteran Players ONLY and the requirement would be (wait for it) The COMPLETION OF THE ENTIRE STORY LINE for it to be available.

Also No Titles, Bonuses Or extra Companions should be included these need to be EARNED by completing their individual story's to receive them. No Romances either. In order to Romance you need TIME to FLIRT with your intended. You can not simply choose from a list like your choosing a PokeMon.... " Lana Baniko I CHOOSE YOU". This is to be your Romantic Other not a piece of MEAT be it Beef or Fish.
There is no level 75 token, and yes basic class titles should be granted. A Jedi, whether they use a token to start at level 60 or level 70 should at least have the title Jedi, for example. They should then grant some missing titles at the end of Onslaught such as Master to Jedi if they choose to rejoin the Order, Colonel to Troopers, etc.

If something like this were to happen it would likely be done similarly to the Lana romance fix. It would only apply to the level 70 boost as the level 60 boost does not skip FE/ET/Traitor, which is where these faction based decision occur, and would likely only be available immediately prior to talking to Lana to start Jedi Under Siege. Since the general advice is, if you are new do not use a boost token, then people can complain all they want but they should not have used a token to skip over 95% of the story. If it is put in as a non-purple mission then people who do not know would likely just go talk to Lana, since Lana is standing right in front of your character when you load a new level 70 boosted character, with a purple icon over their head, rather than seeking out this other mission, and they would get the default skip choices anyhow.

The potential for people complaining because they were new and decided to skip over most of the story without knowing how to play the game is not a good reason to not do something.
≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈ ≈~≈~≈~≈~≈
Just your average, opinionated, disabled, queer gaymer.

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
09.05.2020 , 04:40 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by ACGOG View Post
I haven't really dived into my companions just yet to see who else is dead
Spoiler:
Spoiler

Quote: Originally Posted by ACGOG View Post
I should have realized exactly what skipping was going to do but trusted that it would be done right.
I don't wish to sound like I'm blaming the victim here, but you *could* have come to the forums and asked us what happens... We might have snarked about the incorrectness of the solution chosen by BioWare, but we would have told you what would happen.

I'd also say that while it was done not the best way possible, the solution chosen is far from the worst possible. As noted earlier in the thread, more than one forumite (including me, but not *just* me) thinks that at the very least they should have made it based on your alignment toggle (with an option to preset the toggle when you create the character).

Anything more detailed than that suffers from a fatal flaw without an additional feature, and it's a flaw that doesn't get mentioned very often, if at all.

Quite simply, access to the "detailed presets" mode must be available only to people who've played through the to-be-skipped story content step-by-step at least once. To do otherwise exposes the fatal flaw: the "detailed presets" mode contains 100% USDA-approved high-grade spoilers for the skipped content. That's not important if you've already played through at least once, but it's a potential issue for new players.

And no, it doesn't matter how many spoiler warnings you put in there. People will click through them and then claim to have accidentally triggered the spoilers. (People *have* complained about the autocomplete process that happened when they "accidentally" triggered by jumping to the Jedi Under Siege story on Ossus. To do that, you have to watch a brief cut-scene with a KotOR-style confirmation *and* a pop-up confirmation panel, and somehow they claim to have gone through that "accidentally".)
Something you find difficult is a lesson on how to play better, not a punishment for playing badly.
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
Latest patch notes at http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes

Tseeva's Avatar


Tseeva
11.25.2020 , 08:17 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
I'd also say that while it was done not the best way possible, the solution chosen is far from the worst possible. As noted earlier in the thread, more than one forumite (including me, but not *just* me) thinks that at the very least they should have made it based on your alignment toggle (with an option to preset the toggle when you create the character).
I would like to keep this topic alive as it's an issue for me.
I am one of those who agree with SteveTheCynic and want "at the very least they should have made it based on your alignment toggle."

Happy Thanksgiving everyone


o/
My referral link is Here.

How do you benefit? Go to this page to find out.

Suzsi's Avatar


Suzsi
11.25.2020 , 09:59 PM | #30
Even if they did this for those who want it, many of us would still play so we can pick our LIs anyways. So if they're worried no one will play it anymore they shouldn't be. My main reason for replays is to see my favorite romances again. The only time I'd skip would be to get to a new romance option.

-

~~ Always looking for more Theron Shan and Aric romance. ~~