Roadmap 2021?

Aedales

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic deserves more attention. Come on guys, what do you expect to see. They said their planning something big for the tenth anniversary. As someone who plays since December 20 2011 I saw good times and bad times of this game. I don't want to live through another dead year. I want climactic operations and fascinating story to comeback to with all my alts. But will it be another heated up old meat like emperor or maybe they will give us something interesting in the unknown regions such as Chiss Empire, some other threat? Will there be some continuation of the war? New exciting heroes and not one shots who escape from memory quicker than your morning kraken.

Hello dear developers, please give us something to wait for. The mandalorian hype is still fresh. I meet new people who joined because of the show and they need more incentive to stay. Show us some new raid, dungeons? Maybe you can scale old operations and dungeons to actually feel your power and not be toned down like a little kid. I want to see my big numbers on soa and kephess. How about exploring the direction of returning to class driven story.

I know I am expecting much, especially after coronavirus with all the problems with voice recording and working from home. However with all honesty it's the best time to make swtor shine and appeal to bee players. Lots of players stay at home and all they want is something to be exciting about, such as good news for 2021.

I have spoken,

May the force be with you all.

I certainly wouldn't be offended by a proper roadmap for 2021 or more content now that they've gotten COVID under control and they're not stealing devs for Anthem. With the 10th anniversary coming up, I'm hoping for a bit more than what I've seen. 2020's entire offering of 6.0 to 6.2 was barely a .x update in games like FFXIV. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and I liked the story, but adding a few tweaks to UI with nothing new to address the glaring issues such as group finder for pugging, or making Ops accessible to players beyond the elitist raiding groups like they did with PVP not to mention BIGGER story drops would be worth more than "erg mah gurg, moar cartel items that are just graphical updates of older cartel items we did years ago!" or "look! New stronghold!" (That said I wouldn't say no to a Tython SH...)

They clearly have resources to update some of the cutscenes in the vanilla game to make it more cinematic, but the world doesn't feel alive. It's not - again - FFXIV where if you want to do story quests, you actually have to go to the places to start them instead of just clicking an icon at the top of the screen and not interacting with the world beyond instances. They got a massive game that keeps adding content and yet once it's done, it just becomes a husk. They complain on previous cantinas about not using the assets very well... But then drop content that isolates players from the world. There's no real time FATEs or incentives anymore to stay on planets and explore them. Heck even adding a full tilt FLYING mechanic to worlds would at least give the place some colour instead of hugging the ground in these otherwise pretty cool speeders.

it honestly just seems like you show up and sub for the new story, then unsub and let your timer run out because unless you're in a major Roleplay guild or something, there's no real reason to keep coming back when you can get all this and more in other games. I was here since the beta back in 2011, this was my second MMO that I played religiously and subbed religiously to. Now I've only come back for a few days at a time to play the brief windows of content since Jedi Under Siege and then I take off again. That's a ****** feeling as a long term player even IF you ignore for five seconds the extreme Star Wars fatigue. Thanks to Mandalorian with Grogu and Luke in the finale, Star Wars' stock is on the rise again. I should want to come back and get back into the swing of things. Instead I come in for a one night stand with the new content... And then just go back to FFXIV.

For the 10th anniversary, I would like a reason to stick around for longer than 3 hours is all. Now I know there's going to be BUTT loads of commenters saying "sorry to disappoint you BUT - -" like there always is (guys, I'm one of the original veteran players, I know a thing or two of this game and how Devs work and how you all think because I'm pissing in your cornflakes and you need to interject) it won't change how I feel about this game and its potential for a comeback. It has LOADS of potential for a wicked comeback (just ask FFXIV or hell even WoW FFS,) but when even games like DC Universe Online and STAR TREK Online are getting better reviewed or attention by ALL the MMO blogs and press sites, we got a bit of a problem.

Here's to a better 2021!

Mr. Kanneg officially stated in 2017 or 2018 that he will no longer provide any roadmaps. So don't expect one for 2021. You will be disappointed. He is just following through with everything he mentioned when he took over as lead producer.

I wrote a made up roadmap about a week ago. It's the best you will get. And I also think it will be quite precise (maybe too positive and hopeful). I will get back to it in December 2021 and make a list on what I got right and wrong.

Edited by JattaGin

Mr. Kanneg officially stated in 2017 or 2018 that he will no longer provide any roadmaps. So don't expect one for 2021. You will be disappointed. He is just following through with everything he mentioned when he took over as lead producer.

I wrote a made up roadmap about a week ago. It's the best you will get. And I also think it will be quite precise (maybe too positive and hopeful). I will get back to it in December 2021 and make a list on what I got right and wrong.

I understand this... I do. However, if the community shows they want something... ANYTHING from the producer or devs showing a direction they plan to go with SWTOR, it would help keep the player's attention I think. Capitalize on those being stuck inside for COVID and give more content!!! (Or at least direction)

Yes, Mr Kanneg said roadmaps would end. Likely because they felt the road maps tied them too much to a particular timeline.

He also promised better communication, and despite the influx of assistants to Mr Musco and indeed more frequent gold posts, I still have no idea what their long term plan is, and my primary issues remain unaddressed. Its not quantity of gold posts but quality.

we're lucky we know what's happening next week, never mind for the year ;) ok, it's a slight exaggeration, but a lot of last year we were lucky to know a couple of weeks in advance. I know most of it was due to changes because of covid, but we can expect the same this year, as covid is still here, and not going away. I for one am not complaining, I'm just glad that they can still work, and bring us new stuff, as a lot of places are gone in to level 5 lockdown, and have shut down completely :(

*although, even a 'stickman' sketch of plans would be welcome :)

Edited by DarkTergon

I certainly wouldn't be offended by a proper roadmap for 2021 or more content now that they've gotten COVID under control and they're not stealing devs for Anthem. With the 10th anniversary coming up, I'm hoping for a bit more than what I've seen. 2020's entire offering of 6.0 to 6.2 was barely a .x update in games like FFXIV. Don't get me wrong, it was fun and I liked the story, but adding a few tweaks to UI with nothing new to address the glaring issues such as group finder for pugging, or making Ops accessible to players beyond the elitist raiding groups like they did with PVP not to mention BIGGER story drops would be worth more than "erg mah gurg, moar cartel items that are just graphical updates of older cartel items we did years ago!" or "look! New stronghold!" (That said I wouldn't say no to a Tython SH...)

They clearly have resources to update some of the cutscenes in the vanilla game to make it more cinematic, but the world doesn't feel alive. It's not - again - FFXIV where if you want to do story quests, you actually have to go to the places to start them instead of just clicking an icon at the top of the screen and not interacting with the world beyond instances. They got a massive game that keeps adding content and yet once it's done, it just becomes a husk. They complain on previous cantinas about not using the assets very well... But then drop content that isolates players from the world. There's no real time FATEs or incentives anymore to stay on planets and explore them. Heck even adding a full tilt FLYING mechanic to worlds would at least give the place some colour instead of hugging the ground in these otherwise pretty cool speeders.

it honestly just seems like you show up and sub for the new story, then unsub and let your timer run out because unless you're in a major Roleplay guild or something, there's no real reason to keep coming back when you can get all this and more in other games. I was here since the beta back in 2011, this was my second MMO that I played religiously and subbed religiously to. Now I've only come back for a few days at a time to play the brief windows of content since Jedi Under Siege and then I take off again. That's a ****** feeling as a long term player even IF you ignore for five seconds the extreme Star Wars fatigue. Thanks to Mandalorian with Grogu and Luke in the finale, Star Wars' stock is on the rise again. I should want to come back and get back into the swing of things. Instead I come in for a one night stand with the new content... And then just go back to FFXIV.

For the 10th anniversary, I would like a reason to stick around for longer than 3 hours is all. Now I know there's going to be BUTT loads of commenters saying "sorry to disappoint you BUT - -" like there always is (guys, I'm one of the original veteran players, I know a thing or two of this game and how Devs work and how you all think because I'm pissing in your cornflakes and you need to interject) it won't change how I feel about this game and its potential for a comeback. It has LOADS of potential for a wicked comeback (just ask FFXIV or hell even WoW FFS,) but when even games like DC Universe Online and STAR TREK Online are getting better reviewed or attention by ALL the MMO blogs and press sites, we got a bit of a problem.

Here's to a better 2021!

I advise some caution regarding your expectations about them saying they plan something big for the 10th anniversary. I think this was said before we got in this " situation" world wide so this " something big" might not be that big after all . I am looking forward to it( if it happens) but I am not expecting any miracles ... and sadly all their plans got messed up for this year.

we're lucky we know what's happening next week, never mind for the year ;) ok, it's a slight exaggeration, but a lot of last year we were lucky to know a couple of weeks in advance. I know most of it was due to changes because of covid, but we can expect the same this year, as covid is still here, and not going away. I for one am not complaining, I'm just glad that they can still work, and bring us new stuff, as a lot of places are gone in to level 5 lockdown, and have shut down completely :(

*although, even a 'stickman' sketch of plans would be welcome :)

Yes, COVID had a hand in things. However, even Blizzard managed to pull it together and release a full expansion even though they had to push it back. You can't tell me that Bioware and EA does not have the resources to have their people work remotely.

Months back, they did say there was a BIG announcement coming at the end of the year. The only thing we’ve gotten, has been 6.2. Sadly, this game has never lived up to its potential.

If anything, updating the game to 64 bit would have proven the game had a future. Not even that guarantee, does not bode well. Having followed a similar trajectory, and mismanagement like Galaxies before it, it seems LucasArts hasn’t learned a thing about managing MMO’s. Bioware, is the developer, like Sony was in that project. The invisible hand of suckage, in both instances, is Lucas.

Edited by Akevv

It seems like devs nowadays are too afraid of roadmaps. They don't have to attach dates... just let us know of what you have in mind for the year; it doesn't mean all of it will come true and we understand that. It just sucks being left in the dark pretty much everywhere MMO-related these days.

Months back, they did say there was a BIG announcement coming at the end of the year. The only thing we’ve gotten, has been 6.2. Sadly, this game has never lived up to its potential.

If anything, updating the game to 64 bit would have proven the game had a future. Not even that guarantee, does not bode well. Having followed a similar trajectory, and mismanagement like Galaxies before it, it seems LucasArts hasn’t learned a thing about managing MMO’s. Bioware, is the developer, like Sony was in that project. The invisible hand of suckage, in both instances, is Lucas.

LucasArts has been gone for seven years, though?

Edited by TheRandomWolf

Yes, COVID had a hand in things. However, even Blizzard managed to pull it together and release a full expansion even though they had to push it back. You can't tell me that Bioware and EA does not have the resources to have their people work remotely.

EA maybe, BW, who knows, they don't have the resources they used to /shrug

the big announcement you mentioned is for year ten*, it's why we haven't seen it yet. :rolleyes:

6.x was announced and we got all that was announced, it just took longer

*can you cite where it said it was coming at the end of the year?

Any kind of response from the devs would be helpful, really...

that's true too...lol

Although they might be reticent to say anything, as we've seen how fast people jump on the forums to attack them when it doesn't happen at the exact time they planned ;)

Edited by DarkTergon

that's true too...lol

Although they might be reticent to say anything, as we've seen how fast people jump on the forums to attack them when it doesn't happen at the exact time they planned ;)

So don't give a time frame

"Hey guys big picture stuff here, we'd like to do X, Y, and Z; no estimate on when it'll happen and its subject to change at any time"

"Hey guys big picture stuff here, we'd like to do X, Y, and Z; no estimate on when it'll happen and its subject to change at any time"

^^^ ^^^ This is exactly what I am saying. If you gotta paint with broad strokes, then do so. I'm not asking you to say: "On July 4th THIS is gonna happen!". I would just like to see something like: "This year we are working hard to bring you this, this, and maybe this. No exact time frame is given yet."

I'm just saying... my "big dream" for swtor has devolved into "could you please give us a level 75 endgame for casual players?"

I'm curious - what would a "casual" endgame at 75 look like to you? I'm never sure what people mean by this.

There's already a lot of group activities that aren't the hard or master mode versions.

What else can they do for people that want to play the easier content? It's already been released.

Only thing I can think of that I would enjoy is more quest chains that take you to different planets for things like legacy titles or some kind of in-game reward. The "Nerf Herder" quest was one of the these, for example - it's a time sink, and a little fun to go to all the planets for a humorous legacy title. I doubt it takes a lot of resources to make these, either, and probably not more than 1 developer.

I'd personally like to see one Ossus-like update every year - that feels reasonable, given where the game is these days, when there isn't an expansion. An open world addition that has a good daily area in it, tied to the endgame somehow, with an instanced Op boss. That was a very worthwhile update: it had story, dailies, datacrons, achievements, and a short, fun Op in both SM and HM. The world bosses were kind of a mess if your computer wasn't relatively new, but they weren't bad either. It was good seeing so many players get together every week to do both.

they have, and look at where it has got them. There's a couple of examples in this post, not to mention many others :/