Gunships can one shot Strike Fighters now??

So I just played a game of GSF, last one to finish my weekly, all was going well when suddenly out of nowhere I get legitimately one shot as a half maxed out Strike Fighter (Rycer). No I hadn't been hit before, no I wasn't missing shields.

So, I respawned, flew out, then get one hit out of nowhere again by this same person in a gunship.

Is it normal for gunships to fully one shot Strike Fighters now?? If so...why and how is that considered at all fair?

I enjoy GSF for the most part - but gunships are the one thing that really makes the game frustrating to play sometimes, even more so now that they can apparently one shot a ship with 3k shield power and 1.5k hull...

I mean, its possible you were hit by a couple of gunships nearly simultaneously. Gunships often roost together. You'd have to check RedFantom's GSF parser to be sure. But suffice it to say, with a Damage Overcharge powerup, and with either the Bypass co-pilot active ability for more shield piercing, or a crit using Concentrated Fire copilot active with the increased crit chance tier 5 upgrade, its possible.

Slugs have 28% shield piercing with the tier 2 upgrade, and can get an extra 18% from the co-pilot active ability "Bypass."

Slugs have 0% crit chance by default, 16% with the tier 5 talent, and another 16% for a total of 32% with the co-pilot active ability "Concentrated Fire."

They do 1600 damage to hull by default, 1696 with the tier 4 hull damage upgrade, but I *think* that only applies when shields are down. 1600 to shields.

So, even without any buffs, a fully charged railgun slug will do 448 damage to hull because of shield piercing. 736 with "Bypass".

Damage Overcharge doubles the weapon damage. So, with a Bypass'ed Slug there is 1472 damage done to hull in a single shot, even fully shielded.

Assuming a crit build for slugs (less popular): if its a crit, the 448 becomes 672 to hull with the tier 2 level of shield piercing, and 1344 under damage overcharge.

I very well might be wrong with my math, and I'm happy to be corrected, but I think its possible that a strike could take a lot of damage from just a single shot directly to hull even with full shields. And remember that you are not at full shields if you are in F3 power to engines or F1 power to weapons. It's certainly enough to one-shot a scout which is why many scouts are taking reinforced armor now instead of lightweight.

Edited by phalczen

yeah, if you were in a TDM, the gunship most likely had a DO

DO = Damage Overcharge

They are the red power ups you see thru the match in a TDM

The yellow ones, fully restore your missile load out if you run out, and also give you faster laser regen while it lasts

Purple power ups give you engine speed, , faster engine regen, and supposedly more evasion

Blue power ups give you en extra boost to your shielding. But you could basically do the same thing with F2, but the blue power up gives you extra protection

So, power ups are important.

As someone who has one-shot people in a gunship before, I can confirm that it’s definitely possible. Damage overcharges are the most likely culprit, especially since it happened to you twice. There are pilots who do nothing but memorize DO maps online, and then spam them to rapidly kill people with less effort in TDM.

The damage overcharge would make a lot of sense in that case...

Still, that's an extremely un-fun mechanic to play against :/

Well, the DO's tend to spawn in the same places. Just, each map is a leeetle different.

There are links to maps for locations, if you so choose to look them up.

Just remember, if they arent where the map says, its probably another location. and they generally respawn into the same places. So, if you know one was at a certain place, check back there on your mini map to see if its back.

It helps kill faster, for a guy on a team that is pretty weak, it helps keep up with your team mates deaths.

Or, on a good pilot on a good team, it makes the match go that much quicker.

I dont need it to kill alot, but if I didnt use it, the enemy would. So, I dont take that chance. I take it and use it, or I take it and die getting it. either way, it denies the enemy use of the DO.

When someone on YOUR team gets a DO, you will get a system message in green, and when someone on the other team gets a DO, it will be red. Either way, it’s considered a system message and it will be in chat. So, if you die, while you wait to respawn, you can scroll back through chat to see if the person who killed you picked up DO. It lasts 45 seconds. It’s only something you need to do if you feel you’ve been wrongfully one-shotted. Then you can use the GSF parser to find out the damage you took.

Anyway, instead of playing against them, you could go for them yourself:

If you don’t get it in time, if you can keep the gunship moving, you can force them to waste it. Keeping a gunship on the run is always a good strategy, DO or not.

Nothing new about this. I do it all the time. Just to clarify, a Gunship can only one-shot a Strike when it has a Damage Overcharge. If the Strike has Reinforced armor, it won't be able to pull off the one-shot. But the strike will still be engulfed in flames and near critical. Other Gunships can also be one-shot provided they do not have Directional shields faced toward you, or Fortress shield active, and again, even if they do, a follow up quarter charge will finish them.

A Damage Over charge gives you double damage. But to be fair, Scouts and Strikes with Damage Overcharge can also hit with equally devastating effect. I have played Scout in TDM and with a Damage Over charge I have one-shot (Burst Laser Cannon) gunships. Piledriver on the Tier 1 Strike, while not able to one-shot another strike, will still feel like a one-shot. You won't be able to tell the difference in how quick you are destroyed unless you are a pro -seasoned player.

In short, Damage Overcharges are how TDM is meant to be played. They are as integral to TDM as nodes are to Domination. We are meant to be contesting them, not just flying around ignoring them as 99% of players do. So, go look at the widely available Damage Overcharge super cluster spawn maps, and play TDM the way it was meant to be played :)

For reference, if you want to see what it looks like when you play for Damage Over charges, watch any TDM on my channel. But just to make the point that this isn't a Gunship only thing, here is a recent match where I played Strike in TDM, collected DO's and used them to devastating effect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEWq3DxDKwE. By comparison here is a match where I did the same thing in a Gunship.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3f2NdZNElE&list=PLv8g9Xq37S44X9-oAJPmT_AR2NmJjHenQ&index=13 Note that both matches are equally devastating in the use of Damage Overcharges, how many ships are destroyed and the speed at which I dispatch targets. But only after the Gunship game will people whine about Gunships. It's not the ship, be it Gunship or Strike, its the person flying it.

Edited by Ttoilleekul