What do you do, as a veteran to keep yourself interested in continuing to queue?

philwil

Im near the end of making all my toons level 75.

One thing that might keep me queueing is flying toons to a number of matches.

Say, one is at 325 matches played. I will fly it to make 400, or even go as far as 500 matches.

I like round, even numbers lol.

so, a toon with 103 matches bothers me, and ill go to maybe 200, lol

This is all, besides making another freaking toon to fly lol.

I mean, i have 110 right now, so, making a new toon and leveling by gsf is kinda getting old hat

So, what keeps you interested?

Honestly, I never know what to expect. It could be a blow out, or it could be an interesting match. Some of the names of threats have changed over the years but I try to keep track of them and challenge myself. There's still that outstanding achievement for taking out turrets I think.

Of course all of my characters have mastered ships, even if they don't have all possible components completely mastered, and they are all at 75, so I have different goals for them. I was working on getting to renown 999 on at least one toon, which I managed to get two nights ago, so now it will be acquiring the tech fragments I need to get the few remaining things I want. I still probably need about 40000 tech fragments to get second copies of the various tacticals. They're still valid on PTS so until I see otherwise I'll plan on ensuring I have them moving into 7.0. I need further an unspecified number to get the remaining pieces for the dxun master mode sets I'll almost certainly never get to use since they will be inactivated come 7.0, so that's a lower priority except for my Guardian and my Powertech. And I love playing GSF so that's the main source for my tech fragments.

I'll often play with things, on sort of a theme basis for a while.

For example, based on some of Luc's posts about linking rewards to various scoreboard stats, I got to wondering, "How important are kills in terms of contributing to win rate?" So I made a character named Metta Gotama (related to Bhuddist concept of loving kindness), and decided to see what sort of win rates I could get while avoiding killing blows as much as practical. So far I think I'm at an average of about 1.25 kills per game and better than a 60% win rate. Oh, and it can be surprisingly difficult to suppress habits and NOT kill things (easier in Dom than TDM of course). Averaging more than 14 assists per game though.

Also have a new character where I'm trying to channel my inner Verain (it's hard because I don't have much to channel), and doing a 100% try-hard no-mercy character. I don't have a statistically significant number of games yet but so far "flying mean," is worth about a 10% increase in win rate.

I'll also do things like: Gunship only, battlescout only, Slicing Clarion + Thermite torp max DOT kills, Beacon bomber dogfights (cover and missile breaks are for cowards), and assorted other silliness.

Also, I don't do it enough, but grouping up to play especially if also using the GSF Discord for voice chat is great. A social aspect can make a night fun even if the match quality for most matches is pretty low. When people gripe about Drako & co. I think they vastly underestimate the extent to which voice is about socialization and fun vs. blowing the opposition into super fine space dust.

Honestly, I can't think of a night queuing for GSF where I was grouped and in voice that wasn't fun.

Edited by Ramalina

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have been playing toons to make the number of matches even. Like, rounding out a toon from say 230 matches to 300. Things of that nature.

Its where im at, lol

Though, i am finishing off a couple toons to level 75 right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like GSF bit more than anyone should, and end up having at least a decent fun in most all matches.Im very ez that way! If I could possibly get utterly bored of it, it would have happened by now.

Beyond that? Alts, alts, alts! I like building ships and lvling chars up, dinging weeklies. By now I have so many mastered chars that I'd never run out of GSF weeklies, no matter how obscene amount I'd play within any given week.

I liked Season I as a mechanic,if S2 is approx the same, it'll keep me motivated too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I like to fly around, blow stuff up.

still a few achievements to get and ships to master on alts for those achievements.

but tbh, GSF is the main reason i came back to swtor. I just enjoy it.

- Firestar/ slipstream

Edited by LordHelio