Warzone Lockouts - A terrible, terrible idea.

Purpleone

So, today, when trying to re-queue for a Warzone, I get the following message:

"You left a match early. You may queue again in twelve minutes."

This is a TERRIBLE change to the queuing system for Warzones, and immensely frustrating. There are so many reasons that one might want to back out of a warzone, and other reasons why one might do so unintentionally. Maybe your team is being a bunch of jerks, maybe you want to queue up with some other friends, or maybe you just stepped away and got booted from the inactivity timer.

Was this something the community was in desperate need of? Were people really complaining that this was the fix PvP needed? To install a feature to create artificial barriers to stop people from getting into a match of their liking? No, no it wasn't. This is an astoundingly bad design choice for the system of warzones, especially when it comes to the situation of unranked warzones.

The last thing I want to see being thrown into SWTOR as the game ages is more completely arbitrary time barriers that get in the way of playing the game I want to play. This is a disincentive to even bother for queuing up for a warzone in the first place, because hey, if you get into a warzone and are having a miserable time and want to try finding another match? Haha! Nope, you're either going to sit there and suffer for the duration, or you can sit on your hands for a random time table afterwards. Sound fun?

I don't know who asked for this, but it certainly wasn't anyone in the community I'm a part of.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good change to Warzones. Having someone leave affects the game the other fifteen players are having. The "why bother to PvP" moment comes when you see people constantly dropping, disrupting matches while they selfishly attempt to find their perfect matches. The deserter debuff is a small incentive to keep people from dropping at a whim. Actions should have consequences. We all have "bad" matches where things don't go well, where we lose, sometimes in a very lopsided way. These things happen, you just brush it off and requeue.

Weak.

OG Huttball is the best map in the game. Only bads don't like it.

High-five!

Love Huttball!

Anyways, yeah, the debuff is a necessary evil. Try and think that it's not just about YOU, OP. When you leave a BG you are screwing the queue and other players. It's not all about your fun, it's about everyone's fun.

Actually, i'd say people brought this on themselves for abusing the system. Maybe now you can try a bit harder eh? :p

Try and think that it's not just about YOU, OP. When you leave a BG you are screwing the queue and other players. It's not all about your fun, it's about everyone's fun.

This concept seem so foreign to so many people it boggles my mind. Where does the concept of, "I've joined a massively multiplayer game, and yet it's all about ME!" come from? :rolleyes:

Actually, i'd say people brought this on themselves for abusing the system. Maybe now you can try a bit harder eh? :p

Right. If I had to hazard a guess (because I don't think bioware has said what drove them to put in the quitter debuf - but I'm happy to be proven wrong about that), I doubt very much that bioware read some forum posts and went "oh, Joe, Jane, and Rick think we need a quitter lockout, we better do that!". I think it's a lot more likely that they looked at their metrics for how often people quit warzones and said to themselves, "that's way more than we think is acceptable, let's do something about it".

I do think they put in the punishment (the lockout) without trying to understand or address the "why" of people quitting. But "why" isn't measured in their metrics. Maybe they need to add a multi-choice box when people quit a warzone, like they have when you unsubscribe from the game.

Why are you quitting this warzone?

1. Because I hate this map, and will never play it.

2. Because my team is losing and I can't handle losing.

3. Because of trolling players.

4. Because there are 30 seconds left in the match, and I love screwing over the next person in the PvP queue.

5. Because Joe is on my team, and that person sucks at PvP.

6. Because I can tell the other team is premade, because they are so good, and I won't play against premades.

7. My house just caught on fire, and I should probably handle that instead.

8. spouse agro

9. The baby just woke up and is crying.

10. My kids were playing the in other room, and everything suddenly went quiet. I have to go see what they broke.

11. ...

Edited by Banderal

11. Needed to go to the loo

12. Pizza in the oven caught fire

13. Cat threw up on the keyboard

14. Work phone rang while I was supposed to be working

15. Wife walked into the room naked and I had to.....

16 - 50. The broken arse game bugs and systems and other unsundries that go along with it in one way or another.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Ok, ok... let's stop the silliness.

Almost all of those reasons are extremely rare in occurrence.

We know it is:

1. Not liking the map

2. Ragequit

3. Pre-mades sapping all the fun of a fair match.

Problem 1 is being worked on and is coming. Though, i still maintain that people don't know what they are asking for and will lead to map repetition and longer queue times. But, it is what it is.

Problem 2 is what the de buff is for. You want to rage quit? Fine. But, you gonna get 15m to cool off for making it worse on other players and ruining the queue. Also, all those rare ones you are bringing up. If something is more important than the game you are playing, then you can probably take 15m to sort it out.

Problem 3, is still unaddressed.

The de buff was needed. People were abusing the system and making a worse experience for everyone else. It is for the best.

Edited by Nemmar

14. Work phone rang while I was supposed to be working

LoL - how did you know!? :p

16 - 50. The broken arse game bugs and systems and other unsundries that go along with it in one way or another.

I forgot about that one. Right, "I foolish used force leap, and ended up falling through the geometry and now I'm stuck in limbo", etc. :D

I did quit a match once because I was headed to the ER. I was trying to race across the kitchen to get something from the stove and make it back by the time the door spawn opened, and I slipped and smashed my foot into the cabinet full speed. I was *sure* I broke it (I didn't, but man it hurt!). Of coursee, the 15 minute lockout wouldn't have mattered in that case. By the time they got through all the paper work it was hours later anyway. :D

LoL - how did you know!? :p

I forgot about that one. Right, "I foolish used force leap, and ended up falling through the geometry and now I'm stuck in limbo", etc. :D

I did quit a match once because I was headed to the ER. I was trying to race across the kitchen to get something from the stove and make it back by the time the door spawn opened, and I slipped and smashed my foot into the cabinet full speed. I was *sure* I broke it (I didn't, but man it hurt!). Of coursee, the 15 minute lockout wouldn't have mattered in that case. By the time they got through all the paper work it was hours later anyway. :D

That’s no excuse to quit the match, don’t you own a laptop to take with you ;)

FYI, sounds sore

Weak.

OG Huttball is the best map in the game. Only bads don't like it.

I mean...no argument here.

Frankly I think ranked should have been a huttball league where you had to register a team name and there was an in game place to keep up with records.

So, today, when trying to re-queue for a Warzone, I get the following message:

"You left a match early. You may queue again in twelve minutes."

This is a TERRIBLE change to the queuing system for Warzones, and immensely frustrating. There are so many reasons that one might want to back out of a warzone, and other reasons why one might do so unintentionally. Maybe your team is being a bunch of jerks, maybe you want to queue up with some other friends, or maybe you just stepped away and got booted from the inactivity timer.

Was this something the community was in desperate need of? Were people really complaining that this was the fix PvP needed? To install a feature to create artificial barriers to stop people from getting into a match of their liking? No, no it wasn't. This is an astoundingly bad design choice for the system of warzones, especially when it comes to the situation of unranked warzones.

The last thing I want to see being thrown into SWTOR as the game ages is more completely arbitrary time barriers that get in the way of playing the game I want to play. This is a disincentive to even bother for queuing up for a warzone in the first place, because hey, if you get into a warzone and are having a miserable time and want to try finding another match? Haha! Nope, you're either going to sit there and suffer for the duration, or you can sit on your hands for a random time table afterwards. Sound fun?

I don't know who asked for this, but it certainly wasn't anyone in the community I'm a part of.

The reasons you listed for leaving are kind of garbage bro. Want a real reason? How about being a solo player being back filled into losing games knowing when you first get in it will be a loss that will not count for the daily and still having to stick around so you dont get the lockout.

You should not be "stepping away" in a WZ... that is a jerk move.

You should not leave people hanging in an ongoing WZ to go "play with your friends."

You should not leave a WZ because "team is being a bunch of jerks."

Those are some of the reasons there are backfill WZs to start with.

• 3 weeks later...
It's a good change to Warzones. Having someone leave affects the game the other fifteen players are having. The "why bother to PvP" moment comes when you see people constantly dropping, disrupting matches while they selfishly attempt to find their perfect matches. The deserter debuff is a small incentive to keep people from dropping at a whim. Actions should have consequences. We all have "bad" matches where things don't go well, where we lose, sometimes in a very lopsided way. These things happen, you just brush it off and requeue.

It's a bad change to Warzones. Having someone leave rarely affects the game for anyone else involved, as PvP is much more reliant on who has the better class and setup than if one extra person is trying to break that guard. Are we going to call people selfish for trying to have fun in their MMO? Odd choice if you ask me.

The deserter debuff is stupid on its face and purposely placed as a system of frustration to ruin player experience. That is exactly what it is designed to do, and no one wants to deal with it their casual matches.

And yeah, you can requeue. Just not now. Wait 15 minutes and think about what you did.

High-five!

Love Huttball!

Anyways, yeah, the debuff is a necessary evil. Try and think that it's not just about YOU, OP. When you leave a BG you are screwing the queue and other players. It's not all about your fun, it's about everyone's fun.

Suffer for the sake of the greater good, comrade. Your sacrifice will not be in vain.

I don't know about you, but when I log in to play SWTOR, I'm trying to have fun. Maybe this is a bizarre concept, and I should instead be focusing on how I can help others enjoy themselves at my own expense? I don't understand this argument my friend.

If something isn't fun for me, I can guess it's not fun for someone else too. A timeout doesn't stop people from dropping when they're getting face stomped by a premade.

Maybe ask why your enjoyment is more important than someone else's like mine, by your own argument? None of this holds water honestly.

The reasons you listed for leaving are kind of garbage bro. Want a real reason? How about being a solo player being back filled into losing games knowing when you first get in it will be a loss that will not count for the daily and still having to stick around so you dont get the lockout.

You should not be "stepping away" in a WZ... that is a jerk move.

You should not leave people hanging in an ongoing WZ to go "play with your friends."

You should not leave a WZ because "team is being a bunch of jerks."

Those are some of the reasons there are backfill WZs to start with.

You're taking this way too seriously my guy. That is the problem with all these changes. Warzones used to be no attachment fun. Now you have to win to get rewards, and your other team is counting on you to try your damndest and if you even think about trying something creative or funny instead of STRICTLY FOLLOWING THE META then you should just delete your account honestly.

This kind of stuff belongs in ranked. Get it out of my unranked.

Agreed they implemented a penalty for quitting gamemodes you dont like with no way of avoiding them. Its not a dick move to quit a regs WZ. This is a game, I'm not going to do content I don't enjoy for the sake of 7 randoms on the internet. Currently since bioware has forced me to stay on these maps I just troll around and DM. If I dislike a map enough to untick it on the (eventual) map selection then I'm sure I can live without the reward bioware will give you for queuing all.

It's a bad change to Warzones. Having someone leave rarely affects the game for anyone else involved

Quite the contrary, quitters affect a lot of how the match turns out, back fills don't always replace instantly and usually results in a lopsided match with negative impacts on the end game. It also reinforces the idea that it's ok to be a quitter and that quitting something is better than losing because losing means you might have to accept some responsibility for the outcome.

You're taking this way too seriously my guy. That is the problem with all these changes. Warzones used to be no attachment fun. Now you have to win to get rewards, and your other team is counting on you to try your damndest.

PVPers, for a long time, have been tired of seeing people join warzones just to goof around and not play objectives. Most pvpers take their matches somewhat seriously just as PVE players take their Flashpoints and Raids seriously, who are you to tell anyone not to take their game seriously simply because you can't be bothered to be competitive?

Participation trophies reinforce the attitude of getting rewarded for not trying, god forbid your team is counting on you to put in some effort.

Maybe ask why your enjoyment is more important than someone else's like mine, by your own argument? None of this holds water honestly. This kind of stuff belongs in ranked. Get it out of my unranked.
Maybe ask why you quitting a warzone because a win isn't being handed to you, more important than Me wanting to put in some effort for a win and expect you to do the same? That attitude belongs in loser school, keep it away from my can do, winning attitude.

PVPers, for a long time, have been tired of seeing people join warzones just to goof around and not play objectives. Most pvpers take their matches somewhat seriously just as PVE players take their Flashpoints and Raids seriously, who are you to tell anyone not to take their game seriously simply because you can't be bothered to be competitive?

Participation trophies reinforce the attitude of getting rewarded for not trying, god forbid your team is counting on you to put in some effort.

There are GOOD players who do not give one iota for objectives in regs. Not just one, or a couple, but a number of them. It can be frustrating when good players farm for damage or kills or just want to practice their craft in regs in preparation for ranked.

By no means am I suggesting anything be done about it...but it can be somewhat vexing.

There are GOOD players who do not give one iota for objectives in regs. Not just one, or a couple, but a number of them. It can be frustrating when good players farm for damage or kills or just want to practice their craft in regs in preparation for ranked.

By no means am I suggesting anything be done about it...but it can be somewhat vexing.

y'all keep making my points about solo queues for 4v4 ranked and arena format in general.

Because a lot of those players have played more than 10 000 games and after a while playing for those objectives becomes boring and you want to focus on other things, challenge yourself ...

Like you set a goal that you want 5 solo kills in that warzone, or you want to solo cap their node no matter what, you want to to be top dps , you seek out 1v1 all the time, you seek out 3 v1, 4v1 situations and see for how long you can kite them.., and the list goes on.

Because a lot of those players have played more than 10 000 games and after a while playing for those objectives becomes boring and you want to focus on other things, challenge yourself ...

Like you set a goal that you want 5 solo kills in that warzone, or you want to solo cap their node no matter what, you want to to be top dps , you seek out 1v1 all the time, you seek out 3 v1, 4v1 situations and see for how long you can kite them.., and the list goes on.

I get it, and I'm glad they're still here. It would be nice if they could do those things and make a small effort to win at the same time.

There is some validity to this. As one of those players who has played well over 10000 matches (won over 8000 of them), I find myself drifting away from objectives from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I always queue up with the intentions of winning BUT, when a match goes south quick, I will find other challenges......or they just find me! :)

I have tried to work around these terrible lockouts, but between them and the ever present tryhard premaders (in lowbies) I find myself playing less and less. I have actually found PvE to be far less annoying, and I don't particular like PvE. Warzone selection can not come fast enough.

It's a bad change to Warzones. Having someone leave rarely affects the game for anyone else involved, as PvP is much more reliant on who has the better class and setup than if one extra person is trying to break that guard.

You very clearly have never been in a 4v4 arena match where your healer quit, leaving you on a 3v4 no-win scenario.

I’ve been in arena matches where someone on a stealth class was just there to be a meme. As soon as they were the last one standing, they just stealthed and stayed invisible for the whole rest of the match, wasting everyone’s time. Trying to vote kick them didn’t work, so those of us on that person’s team had to either sit and watch their nonsense for minutes at a time, or eat the lockout timer. That was a level of frustration that I can barely describe.