Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 09:12 AM | #991
Quote: Originally Posted by LifeOfMessiah View Post
If they are going to put that in the game, they need to have that option available.
Correction: you want that option to be available. They don't need to do anything. They don't even need to continue the game if they don't want to.

Though, obviously, I hope they do continue the game.

Noirish-Jedi
02.22.2012 , 09:13 AM | #992
They aren't as optional as you think. You still see the flirt options, even if you don't want to. I want the option to not see the flirt options for "homosexual" characters, and I want the option to NOT have a homosexual companion. If they are going to put that in the game, they need to have that option available.

I really don't see it happening anytime soon though, as this is a licensed product, so they will have to get George Lucas' permission to include something so controversial into the game. This isn't like their own babies Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where they can do whatever they want.
Why is a flirt option such a problem? Is it really such an outrage that there is a dialogue choice available that you simply don't click on? And why would it be such a problem to have a character who is the same gender as your toon come onto you? All you would have to do is turn them down, much like you would in real life. I appreciate that you seem to feel SGRs are immoral for some reason, but including an optional route for you to take your character down is not exactly forcing it upon you.

And I think you'll find Lucasfilm has probably already provided some form of permission. Otherwise I don't think Bioware would have ever got away with confirming SGRs as post launch content.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 09:15 AM | #993
Quote: Originally Posted by MoogleNut View Post
Bioware must already have George Lucas' permission, since it's been stated that SGRAs WILL be in game. And has been pointed out before, there are already canon homosexual characters in Star Wars Lore - both in the books and the games that SWTOR is based on.

The only real question now is the how and the when.
Plus, this is game canon (this Wookieepedia article explains the matter quite well). It's flexible compared to other forms of Star Wars canon.

Tamaranis
02.22.2012 , 09:17 AM | #994
They aren't as optional as you think. You still see the flirt options, even if you don't want to. I want the option to not see the flirt options for "homosexual" characters, and I want the option to NOT have a homosexual companion.

Ah, you're asking for special treatment.

Helig
02.22.2012 , 09:19 AM | #995
Quote: Originally Posted by Noirish-Jedi View Post
Why is a flirt option such a problem? Is it really such an outrage that there is a dialogue choice available that you simply don't click on? And why would it be such a problem to have a character who is the same gender as your toon come onto you? All you would have to do is turn them down, much like you would in real life. I appreciate that you seem to feel SGRs are immoral for some reason, but including an optional route for you to take your character down is not exactly forcing it upon you.

And I think you'll find Lucasfilm has probably already provided some form of permission. Otherwise I don't think Bioware would have ever got away with confirming SGRs as post launch content.
The very reason they steer clear of real-life religions and references that might offend their followers.

Like I said before, tolerance is in compromise, and in mutual respect. If (when) SGRAs are implemented, they'd better be implemented in a way that works for both sides of the discussion.

Noirish-Jedi
02.22.2012 , 09:23 AM | #996
Quote: Originally Posted by Helig View Post
The very reason they steer clear of real-life religions and references that might offend their followers.

Like I said before, tolerance is in compromise, and in mutual respect. If (when) SGRAs are implemented, they'd better be implemented in a way that works for both sides of the discussion.
I would have thought the lack of references to religion would have had more to do with the fact that the game is based a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. You wouldn't be able to fit religion into that setting.

Mass Effect proves that Bioware are willing to touch upon religion if the setting permits it. Legion is named after a quote from the bible, and Ashley has a discussion with Shepard about her religious beliefs.

ryuoki
02.22.2012 , 09:34 AM | #997
In all honesty, the ones most complaining about homosexual relations are single males wanting lesbian encounters in game. I am most certain that this has been pointed out already considering previous threads have been filled to capacity while this one is well over 50 pages (500 posts). I could really care less as a monogamous relationship is the healthiest it is not really what is desired. This is one of very few games that even begins to allow any PC to NPC relationship building.

I did catch one post where someone stated that (and this is not a direct quote but pretty close to what was said in summary) 'perhaps a player chose the wrong sex at character creation'..... Seriously? Delete and remake if that's the case. Leveling is not that hard anymore. Back in 99 when i started playing EQ it would take a month of 8 hour days to get to 30 ish. In this and many others you can be max level and fully raid/op geared in barely a week of dedicated playing. Lets not make excuses for this. There are children playing and homosexuality in action is a choice regardless if the attraction is biological. Our children do not necessarily need to be exposed to everything, and this is something they should decide on their own.

Please make relationship encounters switchable in the very least within the parental controls section of preferences.

ZenMondo
02.22.2012 , 09:36 AM | #998
They aren't as optional as you think. You still see the flirt options, even if you don't want to. I want the option to not see the flirt options for "homosexual" characters, and I want the option to NOT have a homosexual companion. If they are going to put that in the game, they need to have that option available.

I really don't see it happening anytime soon though, as this is a licensed product, so they will have to get George Lucas' permission to include something so controversial into the game. This isn't like their own babies Mass Effect or Dragon Age, where they can do whatever they want.
Let me get this straight (no wait or do I get this queer?) you want a version of the game specially filtered so as not to offend your delicate sensibilities? I could understand general prudishness and not wanting any flirt options at all but you are quite clear its not hetero romance you have a problem with but the inclusion same sex romantic encounters. It seems that not selecting a [flirt] option is not good enough but you want to be shielded from the very existence of same sex romance.

This is 2012, there is nothing "controversial" as you phrase it about homosexuality. I don't have to be closeted about my own orientation, surely our companions who after all are fictional characters in a Galaxy Far Far Away don't need to be forced in a closet on a case by case by way of an optional feature.

I suspect that for the majority of players same sex romance is a non-issue. What is an issue is the lack of communication from Bioware for six months on what we can expect.

Helig
02.22.2012 , 09:37 AM | #999
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
Nobody ever claimed they wanted same-sex relationships to be more visible than opposite-sex relationships. Only as visible. Most (possibly all) of which is in the privacy of a ship or cantina anyway.
That's why a "sex-switch" is required. A small dropbox in your Preferences with "Heterosexual, Bisexual, Homosexual and Asexual" settings. That's it.

Kioma
02.22.2012 , 09:37 AM | #1000
Quote: Originally Posted by ryuoki View Post
In all honesty, the ones most complaining about homosexual relations are single males wanting lesbian encounters in game.
Even if you had any data to back this up it's still irrelevant. A single male wanting to pursue a female same sex relationship is no less legitimate than a married female wanting to pursue a heterosexual relationship, nor a homosexual person of whatever marital status wantign to pursue a homosexual relationship.

Some players want it. Who the players are isn't actually relevant.