Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
[Guide] Companion Optimization, Gearing and Tips

KevMeup
09.13.2016 , 12:29 PM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Nebdar View Post
Thanks
Blaster user... Sniper blaster user (does that make an difference :P )
It does not. It only changes what you see in the tooltips, but it's wrong
KevMeUp - <Show Me Your Crits> - The Harbinger
Does your companion do 11k DPS?
Companion Use and Optimization Guide
YouTube

KevMeup
02.03.2017 , 05:21 AM | #92
I've added some parses from level 70 and patch 5.1. It looks like everything seems to be holding true from previous patches.

One sad thing I noticed in testing, all companions now have 0 expertise
YouTube

phalczen
02.06.2017 , 05:01 PM | #93
Thanks again for this, I frequently refer my guildies to it.

I've seen many people argue that, at least subjectively, companions like Treek, Z0-0M, and K1-Z3N (Zoom's mirror from the cartel market) heal better than some of the others because they have healing abilities which are different than the other standard companions. Have you observed this and how might we collaborate on testing this?
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

KevMeup
02.08.2017 , 11:37 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
Thanks again for this, I frequently refer my guildies to it.

I've seen many people argue that, at least subjectively, companions like Treek, Z0-0M, and K1-Z3N (Zoom's mirror from the cartel market) heal better than some of the others because they have healing abilities which are different than the other standard companions. Have you observed this and how might we collaborate on testing this?
Glad to help

We tested the ISO-5 droid and he failed miserably as a healer. It has some bugged skills that don't scale right.

Treek can't keep up as much sustained healing for single target heals, but if she is in range of the rest of the group, her AOE might make up the slack.

I'll test Zoom or at least K1 soon (just bought). I am curious how her skills compare. It seems like she might give up a little mobility for slightly improved heals.

I used to test healing on my sorc, using consume, but that's no longer an option. The most recent method I've seen is to compare time-to-death while standing in fire or acid (like on balmora). To get exact numbers you'd need to engage in some sort of combat, mock companion battles wouldn't be bad, but has it's own challenges of variance and I think expertise rules of less effective heals kick in. I may just try testing with the star fortress champion mobs as they take a bit to kill, do plenty of damage and are a good use case.
YouTube

KevMeup
02.09.2017 , 05:00 PM | #95
I added tons of healing parses to the parse section and a DPS parse for Z3N. For testing, I had 4 standard mobs fight a level 1 healer comp or 5 for level 50 comps.

It looks like Z0-0M and K1-Z3N are solid companions all around, but don't provide a specific advantage. Other than bugged companions, the difference in heals seems to be statistically insignificant across the board.
YouTube

Alkaholic
02.20.2017 , 07:27 PM | #96
Thanks for putting in the work. So after wasting 1.5 mill getting HK-51 to lvl 40, I find out he sucks. What companion would you recommend for someone who missed the DvL ones like Master Ranos and Niko?

KevMeup
02.20.2017 , 08:36 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
Thanks for putting in the work. So after wasting 1.5 mill getting HK-51 to lvl 40, I find out he sucks. What companion would you recommend for someone who missed the DvL ones like Master Ranos and Niko?
Glad to help Any companion with 2 blaster pistols is excellent right now. I will update the guide soon with my findings. Vette, theron, or someone pulled from the lost companions terminal like Ensign Temple or Andro.
YouTube

phalczen
02.21.2017 , 10:37 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkaholic View Post
There's nothing wrong with leveling HK-51. At this point it seems unlikely that they will be taking away certain companions. You can't go wrong by grabbing Hemdil Tre as dual pistols and Veeroa Denz as dual sabers, and they are both from star fortress so seem unlikely to go and useful for all classes. If you are a healing class grab Lokin to tank for you. If you need additional companions for crew skills, it's unlikely we will lose Treek or HK-51... they were both available before chapter 9 for crew skills when my main class ones were not. They may not be special or optimal for combat but they will likely stick around so they can be useful for crew skills. The ship droids are probably unlikely to go as well so they can be safely leveled up for crew skills. So that's seven there. If you want another two to have 8 comps for crew skills and one for combat then you can use the cartel droid Q0-77 as its dual pistols, and pick another star fortress comp for crew skilling. You might have Rokuss from Voss already since destroying the Voss heroic star fortress auto-completes a bonus quest in KOTET Chapter 1. There's your nine companions to get to 50 and you have multiple dual-wielders to choose from and several companions that won't go away semi-permanently with story. If I didn't have Nico, Ranos, Shae, HK-55, and Z0-0M (all the reward comps) those 9 I mentioned would be ones to invest gifts in.
If you would like to hear more of my thoughts, consider joining our guilds on Satele Shan, "Shock and Jawa" of the Republic and "Full Metal Jawa" of the Empire. Thank you for reading!

KevMeup
02.22.2017 , 03:38 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
snip
If you're looking for unlock-able cartel companions:

Q0-77, ISO and Warbots are horribly bugged and can't even keep themselves alive in testing. Stay clear.

K1-Z3N is exactly like Z0-0M Except zoom gets 1 extra hidden bonus AOE heal skill (making her the best heals in game). Z3N puts out even heals and dps as a double pistol user, it's just a little inconsistent. He's a ton of fun though.

TY-4N and T4-1D act like normal blaster users, except they are bad tanks since they don't charge. They are strong choices though.

To my knowledge all creature companions can't DPS for crap, but most of them can heal fine if thats all you care about.
YouTube

phalczen
02.27.2017 , 02:56 AM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
Except zoom gets 1 extra hidden bonus AOE heal skill (making her the best heals in game).
This wasn't in your parse i presume? (EDIT: found it, its called Kolto Burst) Because you wrote

Quote: Originally Posted by KevMeup View Post
I added tons of healing parses to the parse section and a DPS parse for Z3N. For testing, I had 4 standard mobs fight a level 1 healer comp or 5 for level 50 comps.

It looks like Z0-0M and K1-Z3N are solid companions all around, but don't provide a specific advantage. Other than bugged companions, the difference in heals seems to be statistically insignificant across the board.
And I shudder to think about influencing another comp to 50 on 4-5 toons or more