MY thoughts on whats going on with SWTOR

clhleroy

WARNING: This may seem like a doomsday post but I promise you it is not. It is simpally my stance from personal observations since I have been playing SWTOR since beta. SO PLEASE FORUM MODERATORS read the entire post before you lable it as a doomsday post because I promise you it is not JUST PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS with real life terms that bussness use.

SO let me iterate a few things here.

1. Charles is leaving

2. we got a team that was shuffled around to new positions (Changed from New Team becuase aparently people need it exact and not generalized)

3. Content for the game has been absolute crap and not overly good content at that.

4. We went from reading patchnotes for a full hour for content to just a couple minuts over 10 years

5. SWTOR is run on a skeliton crew so if we get new REAL content it will be 3-5 years at a time before we acually see any REAL WORTHY content.

6. OH DID I MINTION WHAT BIOWEAR AND EA IS DOING. They are offically Sunsetting the SWTOR game after 10 years of service.

For those that dont know what sunsetting is, HERE let me share:

Sunsetting, in most professional contexts, refers to the deliberate termination or phasing out of products or services. Sunsetting is typically incorporated into the business plan, or product life cycle, prior to product launch, though the exact time of sunsetting may be dependent upon a number of considerations.

The financial performance of a product does influence the timeline on which it is slated for sunsetting, and products that are no longer profitable, or in alignment with the company’s brand, are usually phased out sooner. However, a successful product may still face sunsetting. In order to maintain the attention of the public by continually providing new technology, projects may be scheduled for sunset simply to make room for another option for purchase. Often technology products will not be supported with updates or new software after sunset in order promote ongoing product acquisition by consumers.

While the term sunsetting can be found in other industries, such a real estate and politics, the definition is typically the same – building an expiration into a contract or policy to promote action, or to remove a consideration after a certain duration of time.

Now with that said, I DO NOT BELIVE the game will die and those doomsayers out there that keep saying this needs to be shot as it is far from it acually.

I think what there doing is phasing it out for something newer and greater that they havent told us about yet. The SWTOR engin is pretty dang old at this point and cant really be expanded on anymore and because of this after 10 years of service it makes since to Sunset SWTOR for something that could replace it or run along side with it. I THINK with as much sucssess this game has had, there is quite possibly a REMAKE of the game in progress with a younger better engin. I am not 100% sure on this but the signes are there if you are able to see them because there is no way in HELL they would ever give up this game, Just update the engin to expand it even more than they already have. It makes the most logical since and if thats not what there doing then there MIGHTY STUPID. They have a great thing going here with SWTOR and it would be a shame if they didnt update the engin and pull out a SWTOR remake. I do know there was a KOTOR remake that was canceled indefintally BUT that may just be a sign that they could be working on a SWTOR remake with a better engin to support crossplay and all that because as it stands the current engin doesnt and cant do crossplay. AGAIN THEY WOULD BE STUPID TO NOT DO A REMAKE OF THIS GAME. Would not benifit them at or or binifit there pocketbook espetially the last 2 attempts at making a succssessful Game, Mass Effect: Adromida for example. EA and bioweare would be plunged into debt and go bankrupt if they fully ever got rid of SWTOR because SWTOR makes them all there money and making a new engin to support the game and open up crossplay whould be 100% benifical to them and there pocket book.

Only time will tell but I truly belive there remaking SWTOR with a new engin because

1. Im a positive person.

2. They wouldnt give up there money maker.

3. making the game crossplay would allow the entire world to play the game from all angles.

4. making the game have a new engin would ultimatly revive a WELL USED engin that quite frankly is streached to its limit.

5. its been my experiance with EA and Bioweare that they do lissen to the player base, DISPITE it looking like they dont and THOUSANDS of people have asked for a remake and canceling the roadmap to a game with an old engin is only but part of that new remake AND they like to supise people with these things when they remake a popular game.

Take it or leave it I don't care these are just my personal opinions from what I have observerd since beta of SWTOR.

Edited by clhleroy

IF anyone at all would like to show support for a remake of SWTOR or just want to express there opinions RESPECTFULLY without all the doomsaying, then please feel free to leave a comment. I SUPPORT EA and Bioweare for there compleat succsess of what SWTOR has been over the years and PRAY that a remake is in order to update the engin and bring the game into a BRAND NEW ERA

If they are *officially* doing this, where is the announcement?

they wont acually announce it. All bussness plans have this built in. They technically dont have to announce it until it gets farther down the road closer to time but the signs are all there. Skeliton crew to keep it maintained, very little content being made compared to the first few years of release, ect.

Edited by clhleroy

they wont acually announce it. All bussness plans have this built in. They technically dont have to announce it until it gets farther down the road closer to time but the signs are all there. Skeliton crew to keep it maintained, very little content being made compared to the first few years of release, ect.

I did highlight this statement

Often technology products will not be supported with updates or new software after sunset in order promote ongoing product acquisition by consumers.

We are still getting updates and thats a great thing but when a game is nothing more than small updates and run by a skeliton crew, its on the verge of being sunsetting OR already started.

What new team are you talking about? Name one leading person, that isn't in the team for 2 years already. In my eyes, reshuffling team positions doesn't make a new team.

I was generalizing sheesh

WELCOME TO PLANT EARTH, where we get offended over every little thing esspetially when people are generalizing.

Edited by clhleroy

I was generalizing sheesh

people get so worked up over generalizing and can't seem to relize that its generalizing. Cant say anything without someone getting offended now a days. WELCOME TO PLANT EARTH, where we get offended over every little thing.

Are you offended? Because I am not. I just wanted to know, who is new in this "new" team.

Are you offended? Because I am not. I just wanted to know, who is new in this "new" team.

LMBO no im not offended BUT again new team generilzed can mean the shuffling of team members. Its called a generalization for a reason so please stop asking who the new team is when I have told you twice now that is was a generalization.

Edited by clhleroy

Few things to throw out there though:

crossplay and inability of this engine. It is not connected to the engine per se. At all. Engine is the thing that runs the game visible for you. Server infrastructure and datacenter is the thing that runs the ... servers. The servers are the things that will do the crossplay as you - on your PC/PS/XB/we - log into a server and play. So, the only inability of the crossplay is that the developers are incapable of doing a port towards consoles. Considering the amount of engine bugs rising - it is simply impossible for the current developers to do. Who knows? (few examples of them bugs kiting boss positional bug, zombies in operations(very trandy new bug), bad animations of attacks)

Now to the money maker point - how to put it delicately - there are better games currently out there. Creating a remake without supporting some of the features other games have will mean we still get SWTOR without all these fancy things. While currently nobody cares - because it is not a new game - with a new release people would care :) Which doesn't mean per se there won't be re-release, it just makes it harder as this is directly a big negative point in all the reviews ;) And on the top of that - remember - the game need content for a re-release. The issue basically is in the fact this is a Star Wars MMO, EA/BW isn't a small indy company so everybody will be expecting a proper re-release... :) And nothing in the last 5 years showed they can do it.

BTW I don't mean gameplay features - but for example supporting the ingame parser, supporting better and cleaner UI, addons would be neat (BTW this means community can do fancy things without devs needed to do them), some API to the servers etc. I recently log into one of the others MMO and I was shocked by the amount of fancy things I was able to do ...

Maybe if they re-release this in a new engine as set of stories, that may work, but an MMO would get pretty poor reviews, IMO.

Edited by Deaconik

To the OP:

Although I can agree on some of what you said, your spelling errors and conjecture make me not take you serious. Presentation makes impressions. When you think you are ready to submit your final draft have some one go over it. Maybe try Gramerly to help you make more concise posts.

Edited by TonyTricicolo

To paraphrase Jordan Peterson, how do you expect to 'fix' the game when you can't even fix your own writing. 😏

It's funny to see someone show such disrespect for others while suggesting that others need 'self-respect'. Pot, meet kettle. 🙄

Ironic. :rak_01:

Yes, OP has a lot of spelling errors. His predictions seem unlikely too. But the inverse of the above sentiment is that being able to write well doesn't much matter when you have nothing to say.

Edited by Ardrossan

I don't think they are sunsetting the game at the moment. Next year maybe, but not this year. Fall 2023 is when their license ends. It wouldn't be hard for them to get a new agreement with Disney, but EA isn't investing much in SWTOR these days. If it sticks around after 2023, it will most likely be the same as now (slow content release schedule). I think the KOTOR remake is probably going to be cancelled. In the game industry it's rare for an "indefinitely postponed" game to later come back. So there won't be this other game that ties in to SWTOR. That will have an impact on EA's decision here.

Towards the end, when SWG was still live, you can feel the game slowly breathing its last breath as rumors of a new Star Wars MMO started circulating. Will it happen with Swtor? Yes, inevitably. Do you think the powers that be still feel there is only enough room for one Star Wars MMO at a time? Edited by TonyTricicolo