Overpriced items on the GTN

TriceraNL

Hey there people,

I know this has been discussed before but since that one was kinda old, i decided to make a new one.

You see, as i was trying to decorate my Stronghold, i noticed that (and no offense meant) quitte abit of stuff on the GTN are so expensive. Abit too expensive if you ask me. I'll give 2 examples...

* Luxurious Rug (Red) on sale between 10 and 20 million.

* Spacers Kolto tank between 20 and 30 million.

Sure, i get the fact that people need / want credits. I really do. But Rome was'nt build in one day.

And don't get me wrong, i don't mind really to spend some money on something i want but alot of items are just way too expensive and much more then i can afford and really... not only is it just expensive but greedy too.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that, tho i did'nt really find an answer as to why do people put items on GTN for an insane amount of credits.

I mean... I don't think anyone else would buy a rug for between 10 to 20 million credits. Well... Maybe if they are a billionaire. But that should'nt be mandatory.

I don't know, why is it so hard for people to understand, that some people play this game for years (!), and every day they made money. Every single day. It adds up to billions. Of course, if you play two weeks story, left the game, came back, to play again story for two weeks, left again, and never did anything to get credits... yes, 20 million are a lot. But boy...i'm at the point, i pay billions for an armour set, if i want to.

you basically compare a baby with no money at all, with an adult, who is buying 50 dollars worth of candy. no big deal, if you're an adult. but for a baby...sure it is a lot.

tell me what you do for earning credits, and i can tell you, why you don't have any.

I have seen it so much on youtube on twich...streamers running around doing story...“i have no credits“. They don't pick up loot, they ran past scavenging nodes.

Lets do the math. Scavenging. Grade 4 Mat. Bondit. If you send one companion away, it costs you like 2k. He comes back with 6 to 8 Mats. Each Mat will sell for 6k.

7 Mats are selling for 6k each = 42.000 Credits. You will get 42k credits because you send one companion away for 2k. 40K profit.

Let's do all 8 companions. 8 x 40k is 320k. 320K clean profit because you send all 8 companions away.

Grade 4. That means, companions need, depending on their level, around 4 minutes!? You can make every 4 minutes 320k profit.

If you play one hour a day, and send your companions away every 5 minutes, you can send them away during one hour of play twelve times. 12x 320k is roughly 4 million an hour. Without loot, without free scavenging nodes. Without quest rewards. Without conquest rewards.

Soo...you're making 4 millions a day, if you play one hour a day. super casual. 4millions x 200days/year (the days you play in a year) is 800million. 800m x 8 years you play total is 6,4 billion credits.

And this is, what a super casual player could have made, if he was clever enough to always send companions away. On one character. I own 42 character. Let's assume i log through only 10 of them to send companions away... you understand, what i'm trying to say?

Just do this, and suddenly you can buy candy for 50 dollar.

But no...they play once a week, do 4 heroics on DK and say "where are my millions?".

MMOs are marathons. Do a little, every day. And you will have credits.

Edited by SoontirMorillo

I don't know, why is it so hard for people to understand, that some people play this game for years (!), and every day they made money. Every single day. It adds up to billions. Of course, if you play two weeks story, left the game, came back, to play again story for two weeks, left again, and never did anything to get credits... yes, 20 million are a lot. But boy...i'm at the point, i pay billions for an armour set, if i want to.

you basically compare a baby with no money at all, with an adult, who is buying 50 dollars worth of candy. no big deal, if you're an adult. but for a baby...sure it is a lot.

tell me what you do for earning credits, and i can tell you, why you don't have any.

I have seen it so much on youtube on twich...streamers running around doing story...“i have no credits“. They don't pick up loot, they ran past scavenging nodes.

Lets do the math. Scavenging. Grade 4 Mat. Bondit. If you send one companion away, it costs you like 2k. He comes back with 6 to 8 Mats. Each Mat will sell for 6k.

7 Mats are selling for 6k each = 42.000 Credits. You will get 42k credits because you send one companion away for 2k. 40K profit.

Let's do all 8 companions. 8 x 40k is 320k. 320K clean profit because you send all 8 companions away.

Grade 4. That means, companions need, depending on their level, around 4 minutes!? You can make every 4 minutes 320k profit.

If you play one hour a day, and send your companions away every 5 minutes, you can send them away during one hour of play twelve times. 12x 320k is roughly 4 million an hour. Without loot, without free scavenging nodes. Without quest rewards. Without conquest rewards.

Soo...you're making 4 millions a day, if you play one hour a day. super casual. 4millions x 200days/year (the days you play in a year) is 800million. 800m x 8 years you play total is 6,4 billion credits.

And this is, what a super casual player could have made, if he was clever enough to always send companions away. On one character. I own 42 character. Let's assume i log through only 10 of them to send companions away... you understand, what i'm trying to say?

But no...they play once a week, do 4 heroics on DK and say "where are my millions?".

Well... i did pick up a crew skill on my first and primary character which is Synthweaving

As for secondaries, i decided to go for Archeology & Underworld Trading.

I did do some of those where u can send companions away and such but at this point, i feel i'm not making much money yet. But i'm sure once i maxed 'em out, i'm sure i do.

However... it does'nt change the fact that asking something like 10 to 20 million credits for a rug is too expensive tho.

Another friend of mine even said that he too, thinks it's not even worth 2 million credits.

So what i'm basically saying is: 10 to 20 million for a rug?

Personally, i'd be glad if i get even 500k for a rug, so it's affordable for more people rather then just the billionaires. But that's just me

Well... i did pick up a crew skill on my first and primary character which is Synthweaving

As for secondaries, i decided to go for Archeology & Underworld Trading.

I did do some of those where u can send companions away and such but at this point, i feel i'm not making much money yet. But i'm sure once i maxed 'em out, i'm sure i do.

However... it does'nt change the fact that asking something like 10 to 20 million credits for a rug is too expensive tho.

Another friend of mine even said that he too, thinks it's not even worth 2 million credits.

So what i'm basically saying is: 10 to 20 million for a rug?

Personally, i'd be glad if i get even 500k for a rug, so it's affordable for more people rather then just the billionaires. But that's just me

People will sell it for what ever price people are willing to pay.

As an example, before they recently added the (coma) to the credits format, ie 1,000,000 instead of 1000000, I accidentally listed something for 20 mil instead of 2 mil (I was tired and not paying attention). The next day I logged in and it had sold. Which totally blew my mind. So I listed another at 20 mil and it sold. The third time it didn’t sell by the next day, but I didn’t panic and decide to drop the price back to 2 mil. I left it there and it eventually sold a few days later for 20 mill. I made 60 mill selling 3 of those and I would have needed to make and sell 30 to get the same credits.

Now I would never buy that item myself for that price and I was shocked that someone else did. It wasn’t my intention to try and rip someone off at the start by over listing. But when it sold and then the next one and the one after that and the one after that, I realised that my preconception of what something is worth is different to other players.

Now I test the market over a week if I want to see how much something will sell for, if I want a fast, quick and guaranteed sale I sell low to get rid of an item that could be clogging up my inventory. But if I want to make credits I will list the highest on the market and see if it sells. To my surprise I still sell things that are the highest on the market. So instead of needing to sell 10x an item at 2 million to make 20 mill. I can sell one item for 20 mill. And if I’ve a few of those items I can list one or two every other day and make 10x as many credits as I would have before,

I’ve now accumulated a bank of credits and I know what the market price is, So I buy all those particular items people were selling below 4 million and I relist. I don’t even need to craft the items anymore because I can buy 5 at 2 mill and sell them all at 20 mill a pop. Even if I only sell one, I’ve enough made credits and got some freebie stock for later.

Hey there people,

I know this has been discussed before but since that one was kinda old, i decided to make a new one.

You see, as i was trying to decorate my Stronghold, i noticed that (and no offense meant) quitte abit of stuff on the GTN are so expensive. Abit too expensive if you ask me. I'll give 2 examples...

Sure, i get the fact that people need / want credits. I really do. But Rome was'nt build in one day.

And don't get me wrong, i don't mind really to spend some money on something i want but alot of items are just way too expensive and much more then i can afford and really... not only is it just expensive but greedy too.

The reason you won't find an answer to your own personal satisfaction is because BW really has little control over GTN prices. Sure BW can alter how many credits players get or can access, but that really changes nothing. If all you could get was 100 credits then 90 credits would be sky high, if you can only get 1000 credits the 900 would be sky high. As long as players are willing to pay what is been asked, then the players have zero incentive to lower the cost.

However there are still many players like myself who rarely sell items for profit, this comes down to we just don't really need the credits because we buy very little of GTN ourselves. Cannot even remember the last time I brought an item, I remember it was a Mando armour set but when it was I just don't remember. I think I paid 1.5m. I already had the set just wanted another as at the time I did not have it unlocked accountwide.

Hey there people,

I bolded and underlined the only important part of your post. If those items are selling for those prices, they are NOT overpriced. Just because you can't afford something at market price doesn't make the sellers greedy.

I would blame Bioware for not making DM decos readily available. Older packs seemed to drop more decos than the Ultimate packs do. Scarcity and desirability drive up prices. Why shouldn't people sell items for what other people will pay? Decos are luxuries, not necessities.

Since you have a limited budget, you are going to have to make do with cheaper decos. Start with the basic vendor. Craft. Get your reputation up with all of the different reputation tracks. Do events. Check other vendors, like the conquest vendor. Pets, mounts and companions all function as decos. Flashpoints, uprisings and operations all have decos. Ranked pvp often has deco rewards.

Just because you can't afford something at market price doesn't make the sellers greedy.
Well, let's take that so-called "Luxurious Rug (Red) for example. When i saw it for 20 million on the GTN and i told a friend about it, he said (and i quote) "Personally, i would'nt even buy it for 2 million" so i'm definitly not the only one and i'm sure that there are other players out there, who feel the exact same way as well. I mean, really... 20 million for a rug?

Do they expect all of us to be Bill Gates (Microsoft), Donald Trump, Elon Musk (Tesla) or Vince McMahon (WWE)?

Not everyone that plays SWTOR are billionaires. Nor should u be. But that's just me.

Edited by TriceraNL

Excellent analysis !! Love it !!

Problem is so many expect instant gratification. They should be looking at long term as you have indicated.

In any case: well said !

Luxurious Rug (Red) on sale between 10 and 20 million.

You can only buy this rug with cartel certificates, and this currency only drops from ultimate packs (rarely) and slot machines during Nightlife event. I'm not sure about contraband slot machine, even if it still drops the chances are astronomical. So yeah, I personally wouldn't pay 20 mil for this rug but I can understand why a seller puts such price.

Decorating is rather expensive hobby but deco prices are at least stable, especially compared to armor or weapons. I have an impression that the price of many older items haven't really changed since introduction of the ultimate packs. New CM stuff is usually quite expensive though.

You can only buy this rug with cartel certificates, and this currency only drops from ultimate packs (rarely) and slot machines during Nightlife event. I'm not sure about contraband slot machine, even if it still drops the chances are astronomical. So yeah, I personally wouldn't pay 20 mil for this rug but I can understand why a seller puts such price.

Decorating is rather expensive hobby but deco prices are at least stable, especially compared to armor or weapons. I have an impression that the price of many older items haven't really changed since introduction of the ultimate packs. New CM stuff is usually quite expensive though.

Well, i guess you're right about that then.

I mean, that decorating is a rather expensive hobby.

And if it is indeed as rare as you say it is, then i guess 10 million is a rather fair price.

The market value has nothing to do with taste, yours or anyone else's. Just because it's butt ugly to you, don't mean someone hasn't fallen in love with it, and would happily pay 10 million for it.

No one expects everyone in the game to be billionaires, the same as you shouldn't be able to decorate your s/h the same as a billionaires, does your house look like gates/musk, etc?

At the end of the day, it's OPTIONAL, you can live without it, and buy a rug you can afford

It's not that i find it butt ugly (as you put it), not at all, it's just that i find it a large sum of money.

But i according to the poster above, it's pretty rare to get that rug from a certain package, so i guess

it's not THAT weird then if they ask abit more then usual.

Well, i guess you're right about that then.

I mean, that decorating is a rather expensive hobby.

And if it is indeed as rare as you say it is, then i guess 10 million is a rather fair price.

It's not that i find it butt ugly (as you put it), not at all, it's just that i find it a large sum of money.

But i according to the poster above, it's pretty rare to get that rug from a certain package, so i guess

it's not THAT weird then if they ask abit more then usual.

What you think is a fair price (or a price you can afford), isn't "more then [sic] usual."

What you think is a fair price (or a price you can afford), isn't "more then [sic] usual."

With all due respect,

As i practically already pointed out: I did'nt expect it to be THAT rare,

but since it is, then yeah, i guess 10 to 20 million is a fair price.

Not the only reason....but a big one: "Storage Vendors"

Seems alot of these folks are just "storing" items in the GTN to free up cargo hold space....they set an ridiculous price, to keep it safe, but....also if someone does really, really want the item....they might just blow the cash to be done with looking for it.....then they make bank to offset the loss of the valuable item "stored" on the GTN....

Not the only reason....but a big one: "Storage Vendors"

Seems alot of these folks are just "storing" items in the GTN to free up cargo hold space....they set an ridiculous price, to keep it safe, but....also if someone does really, really want the item....they might just blow the cash to be done with looking for it.....then they make bank to offset the loss of the valuable item "stored" on the GTN....

It’s more efficient and less time consuming to just start a few private guilds with guild banks if you need extra storage. You don’t need to use the GTN as a defacto storage solution.

The market value has nothing to do with taste, yours or anyone else's. Just because it's butt ugly to you, don't mean someone hasn't fallen in love with it, and would happily pay 10 million for it.

No one expects everyone in the game to be billionaires, the same as you shouldn't be able to decorate your s/h the same as a billionaires, does your house look like gates/musk, etc?

At the end of the day, it's OPTIONAL, you can live without it, and buy a rug you can afford

agreed:

*** Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder (frankly some of the newer armor is not worth 1/2 BILLION credits IMO )

*** when I first started decorating most of the strong holds I have ... it was definitely very basic !

As someone else has very well stated ... think of this game (and most aspects of it) as a long term proposition. Not something to be completed in an hour or so !

It’s more efficient and less time consuming to just start a few private guilds with guild banks if you need extra storage. You don’t need to use the GTN as a defacto storage solution.

It's even easier to just make alts to use as storage mules. (Except for those who have no available character slots.)

I don't know if people use the gtn to store stuff, it's ineffective, and as trixxie says there are far easier ways. My cynical side sees it either as money laundering, or people putting ridiculous prices hoping people click them by mistake.

I had someone buy a crafted dye off me for 500,000,000 credits a few months ago. I saw someone else listing them at that price so I listed one to see what would happen. I nearly fell off my chair when it sold.

At the time I couldn’t guess why someone would buy a crafted dye at that price. But now you mention it, I guess you could be right and someone could have been laundering their credits. Except that means there was some exploit at the time and it’s been kept under pretty tight raps. Even on the discord channels, where someone usually blabs to everyone how much they are making from it.