some ideas for the 7.2 pvp revamp

joshrva

1) Map selection for unranked. I feel like this is something that has been wanted for a while now. I think it should look something like this https://imgur.com/a/H97k66B, with the ability to check specific maps or check/uncheck all maps of a certain type. One important thing is that there should be no punishment for unchecking any maps (i.e., like in group finder) because then hardly anyone would use it. The arena queue here specifically I feel would really help players who may want to get into ranked learn in an environment that is more similar to ranked. As it stands, regular unranked warzones don't do much to prepare players for ranked.

2) Different-sized Ranked arena matches. I'm not suggesting getting rid of 4v4, but instead adding 3v3, 2v2, and 1v1 matches. There should be a selector for each type (https://imgur.com/a/pFDDLxN like so) and separate elo attached to each type. Players should be able to queue for all types at the same time or only for specific ones, like the unranked map selector. For the leaderboards, there should no longer be different lists for each advanced class, instead, there should be different leaderboards for each arena size. Top 3s should be awarded for each arena size for solo and team ranked, and they could possibly be expanded to top 6 or something similar. Once again, it's important that players are not punished for selecting what they want to play. The main benefit to this (besides the change of pace that I feel would be nice) is that the ranked queue will pop with fewer players in queue which means there will be more matches when there are not enough people in queue for a full 4v4 arena.

Side note: there shouldn't be a map selector for ranked if it is added for unranked. The reason for this is that different maps favor different classes, and randomized maps will be fairer. Additionally, if players could queue for specific maps to gain a competitive advantage, but others could unselect those maps, there will simply be fewer pops which is really not what this game mode needs.

Edited by joshrva

1) Map selection for unranked. I feel like this is something that has been wanted for a while now. I think it should look something like this https://imgur.com/a/H97k66B, with the ability to check specific maps or check/uncheck all maps of a certain type. One important thing is that there should be no punishment for unchecking any maps (i.e., like in group finder) because then hardly anyone would use it. The arena queue here specifically I feel would really help players who may want to get into ranked learn in an environment that is more similar to ranked. As it stands, regular unranked warzones don't do much to prepare players for ranked.

I think this would be a great thing to have, but I also think it would be impractical and a system open to abuse by the player base. We'll ignore the age old argument of "not enough activity" because, the fact is - it COULD work. But here's a few issues I have with the system.

- There should be no penalty for unchecking specific maps

There should be a penalty, ie. group finder penalty, for players not checking all maps. If this system was rolled out, and that was the case, people would be queued for whatever they personally preferred and organised groups of players could cast majority votes on specific maps. So it wouldn't be map selection as much as it would be playing whatever most players wanted to play.

- The arena Queue would Help New Players

We don't "need" a specific 4v4s queue - that's what group challenges are for. The system already exists it just takes two groups of players. Its an MMO after all.

- As it stands, regular unranked warzones don't do much to prepare players for ranked.

Regular warzones are supposed to be live action parsing grounds. If a player is focusing on, as a DPS, doing the most damage, as a healer doing the most heals etc. Then they are learning what it takes to play ranked, the rest is just survivabilty and cooldowns which doesn't span more than 10 abilities on any class. The problem with regs players is, they think the objective is solely to play the game - and they then moan when they're fighting the people who do play to parse. Its honestly a skill issue here, and again, solved, by playing the game like an MMO and reaching out to skilled players who have info that can help.

- There should be no penalty for unchecking specific maps

There should be a penalty, ie. group finder penalty, for players not checking all maps. If this system was rolled out, and that was the case, people would be queued for whatever they personally preferred and organised groups of players could cast majority votes on specific maps. So it wouldn't be map selection as much as it would be playing whatever most players wanted to play.

Most players play unranked for the weekly rewards. If the group finder penalty existed for map selection and players wouldn't be able to finish the weekly if they used map selection, no one would use it and it would be a waste. "People would be queued for whatever they personally preferred" that is exactly what the system would be designed to do lol. Players should be able to play what they want to play. The only problem I could see with this would possibly be slower queue time, if that's the case, then make it like a vote before the match starts where the players who will be in that match vote on the map.

- The arena Queue would Help New Players

We don't "need" a specific 4v4s queue - that's what group challenges are for. The system already exists it just takes two groups of players. Its an MMO after all.

Literally no one uses group challenges outside of maybe some guilds and some ranked players who already know each other. Good luck telling a new player "oh, just go do some group challenges" - there are so few people that even want to 'learn ranked' and even fewer who would agree to do group challenges over regs which they get rewarded for. Besides the logistical mess of a new player trying to get into a group challenge, it doesn't really teach what solo ranked is about. They don't teach how to face a variety of players and classes (unless you do A LOT of them), and they don't teach how to work with random players on your team.

- As it stands, regular unranked warzones don't do much to prepare players for ranked.

Regular warzones are supposed to be live action parsing grounds. If a player is focusing on, as a DPS, doing the most damage, as a healer doing the most heals etc. Then they are learning what it takes to play ranked, the rest is just survivabilty and cooldowns which doesn't span more than 10 abilities on any class. The problem with regs players is, they think the objective is solely to play the game - and they then moan when they're fighting the people who do play to parse. Its honestly a skill issue here, and again, solved, by playing the game like an MMO and reaching out to skilled players who have info that can help.

Regular warzones are in fact not supposed to be live-action parsing grounds. Even if they were, I do not see how that correlates with ranked at all. I can sort of see what you mean by "If a player is focusing on, as a DPS, doing the most damage, as a healer doing the most heals etc. Then they are learning what it takes to play ranked," but there's still the problem that they are not forced to CC, they are not forced to peal, they are not forced to chase, they are not forced to possibly kite others who are focusing you while simultaneously doing damage to the target. (edit: nvm, I misread what you said. You said that if a player is focusing on doing the most damage they are learning what it takes to play ranked, I thought you meant focusing on the player doing the most damage. This is entirely wrong, ranked is not about doing the most damage and number farming, ranked is about doing enough damage to a specific target in critical moments in order to kill them while also pealing for teammates.) "the rest is just survivabilty and cooldowns which doesn't span more than 10 abilities on any class," you're right in that there aren't very many dcds in the game, but the more important part is learning when to use which ones when, when to kite when you don't have any up, etc. Regs don't teach you that.

Edited by joshrva