Potential chapter changes

ChandrilaDeler

Should stories like KOTFE be altered so one part of it has the Personal Ship destroyed, causing Players to look for/steal/construct a new one?

In a word, "No." There are various reasons, not least that they should be making new stuff for us to play rather than making incompatible changes like this to existing stories that many thousands of characters have already played through.

Giving new things instead of improving the game has been done for almost ten years now; a different direction is sorely needed before it gets too stale.

Perhaps, but breaking existing characters is not a suitable different direction. How exactly do you propose that this change would affect characters who have already played through KotFE?

Perhaps, but breaking existing characters is not a suitable different direction. How exactly do you propose that this change would affect characters who have already played through KotFE?

Given that there would be weeks of notifications about the progress of any revamp from the devs if it existed, not much.

Given that there would be weeks of notifications about the progress of any revamp from the devs if it existed, not much.

What would happen? Would their ships disappear? What if someone's *unable*(1) to play during that time? What happens to that character that was logged out in the "old" post-KotFE ship?

(1) Military deployment, severe illness, etc.

There is that one part where the Player doesn't see their ship again until the Alliance base is constructed; that's where the possible outcome of the ship being destroyed during the five years that the Player was in carbonite could be placed.

There's also a few glitches in the Smuggler's class story. 1. They can only encounter C2-N2 after getting back on the ship at Taris (that back and forth thing you have to do with Risha and Beryl), even though he's right there infront of the entryway. 2. The (counterfeit) Murustavan Ruby doesn't vanish from your inventory after leaving The Works. 3. Torchy isn't lootable after killing Skavak.

There is that one part where the Player doesn't see their ship again until the Alliance base is constructed; that's where the possible outcome of the ship being destroyed during the five years that the Player was in carbonite could be placed.

OK, but let's say I play through KotFE on a character. And KotET. And whatever else is needed to get past where the "get a new ship" point will be. I leave my character logged out *on*his*or*her*ship*. Then the proposed change happens.

What ship does my character have? Does my character have a ship? If not, can I log in to my character?(1)

(1) if you log a character out in a stronghold, and then transfer the character to a server you've never played on before, you cannot log in to the character because it is somewhere ("My active Coruscant Stronghold", let's say) that does not exist on the new server.

It is obvious enough that you either have the ship changed around you, or you are simply moved to whichever zone you were in before boarding it.

If any other Players wish to offer their thoughts on this, they may do so.

Edited by ChandrilaDeler
Missed a spot.

It is obvious enough that you either have the ship changed around you, or you are simply moved to whichever zone you were in before boarding it.

If any other Players wish to offer their thoughts on this, they may do so.

The stronghold thing on transfers suggests strongly that it isn't totally obvious.

And what if I want to keep the existing ship?

And as usual when people ask to change their class ships, there's also the question of what the maps look like when you're in your hangar. The map shows an outline of your ship.

If it was optional, okay but not optional no way. I do not want to go theough the headache of finding or whatever for a new ship. Most likely I would not have a ship done considering I rarely use my ship anymore since I have already completed all the chapters and use the quick travel to get around.

Some may like it and that is why I say optional. It should never be automatic as some individuals would not like this.

I would prefer they spend the money and resources on new content and not something like this.

Edited by casirabit

Other than that, what stuff from the expansions (like the macro-binocs used when Acina is the Companion) does everybody think should be added to the Class missions at any point before the next decade?

None. In general, changing existing one-shot missions that have been in the game and run by millions of characters should not happen. Repeatable stuff, maybe (ref: the endless debates about Heroic mission givers and mission-completion NPCs), but not one-shot missions.

Individual old missions that require binoculars provide them just for that mission (there are a few), and the Macrobinocular (== Shroud) missions (part of the original game, ffs) give a usable-anywhere set that interact with the seeker droid from the Dread Seed missions to provide "digging for treasure" opportunities on multiple planets.(1)

But that stuff has been in the game since before 2.0 released (possibly even at the original release).

(1) Both these mission series are available from astromech droids on the Fleet, and also on the Capital Worlds (just outside the spaceport entrance on Coruscant, and near the central taxi point in Kaas City on Dromund Kaas).

I would like to note for the record that on its face, I would not mind a little quest that had you assemble a new starship. After all, the HK-51 quest is decent, if not sometimes frustrating with the Burba device. But assembling a droid from parts you find isn't the same scale as, well, building what is essentially a corvette-class ship. These aren't just single or two-person starfighters, these ships carry multiple personnel with quarters, crafting space, meeting rooms, target practice areas, etc. But, I'm willing to suspend disbelief.

That being said, this suggestion doesn't seem feasible, given:

1) the size of the development team

2) the number of players it will appeal to

3) the work involved in the new cinematics/voice acting/engineering/programming/etc.

4) Its replayability ... part of the reason why the three difficulty levels of the chapters work is because it enhances the existing replayability of the chapters. I can certainly see people working towards doing master mode of chapters on different character classes as being an interesting goal ... i can't see people wanting to see their class ship blow up multiple times, but that's just my opinion.

I think the developer's time and effort would be better spent on, well, a lot of things.

Other than that, what stuff from the expansions (like the macro-binocs used when Acina is the Companion) does everybody think should be added to the Class missions at any point before the next decade?

Well, the only thing I believe should be added to the class missions is replayability with difficulty modes like the KOTFE/KOTET chapters, but I am not sure that effort is worthwhile.