Darth Vader's Redemption

Shayddow

Anyone else think that Darth Vader got off too easy?

The man was responsible (although not as directly as Tarkin and the Emperor) for millions of deaths of Alderaan (he knew what it was capable of and was very much involved in supervising its construction), and in Return of the Jedi, he's sitting right next to Yoda and Obi-Wan- as a force ghost, but still...).

I would submit he would have to pay Some sort of price in whatever the afterlife is that the Force grants (i.e.the ancient Sith Lords are tied to their tombs).

There's two schools of thought that I've read on that subject; the first being that Obi-Wan was more correct than he thought with Vader and Anakin basically reaching the point of Multiple Personality/Disassociative Disorder - in which case Anakin couldn't be held responsible for Vader's actions and in-actions because they were effectively two seperate people trapped in the same body. (Hence why, especially in the remastered RoTJ, Anakin's force ghost takes a non-Vader form.)

The other is that, while he's seen with Obi-Wan and Yoda at the end of ROTJ, Anakin's punishment is just that - existance as a force ghost, not being allowed to move on and join the Force, not being permitted to see his mother, Padme or even Qui-Gon Jinn again, but to spend eternity trapped between life and death (which, when one thinks about it, isn't entirely dissimilar from his existing-but-suffering state as Vader...)

Personally, I'm not sure what I think about it...