Jedi Sentinel Feedback

JackieKo

Sticky is actually gone for Vanguards (though Commandos still have it). Was removed when they purged a lot of 30m range abilities on Vanguards, they added in Flak Shell to replace but it's not quite the same imo. I liked the sense of imminent doom of Sticky being placed and waiting to explode.

Flamethrower is the same, completely gone from Mercs and removed in favor of an instant ability on PTs, as part of the effort to remove all channels from melee classes.

So basically Project and Smash are the only two still left for both advanced classes and one spec doesn't even keep project.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Sadly i don't remember the sentinel ability names)

Removal of Crippling Slice and Shatter shot from Marauder / Sniper seems like killing a skill barrier to me, I see that it's added to certain abilities. I just think Trauma should be one of those things that people have to think about not that's put on through an ability that's part of rotation.

IMO, Trauma should not be added to any rotational abilities and should sit on a weak ability like in 6.0 and prior so we can have that skill level for crippling slice on certain heal dcds and in heal games in PvP.

Let me ask. Do you play pvp?

I still play regs fairly regularly and solo ranked on occasion, though I used to pvp more often. Still it hardly seems relevant when my comment was specifically talking about class flavour. As you'll see I pointed out that (at least in my opinion) Force Choke is more of an iconic Juggernaut ability than an iconic Marauder ability. So from the standpoint of flavour, it's not an entirely strange decision to have it be a juggernaut exclusive.

Obviously no longer having any stuns will massively negatively affect Marauders in PvP, but depending on how other classes are changed there could be a potential version of swtor where Marauders are balanced without access to a hardstun.

Edited by AdjeYo

Obviously no longer having any stuns will massively negatively affect Marauders in PvP, but depending on how other classes are changed there could be a potential version of swtor where Marauders are balanced without access to a hardstun.

Do you really expect any other classes who still have acces to a stun to not use it or to range classes to nicely let us stay in their mele range...

100% agree. They definitely need to have force choke / force stasis

I don't think sentinels not having force choke will be that big of an issue to be honest. They make up for their lack of cc with an obscene amount of damage. If combat or concentration were placed in the current meta, they would easily be the highest parsing dps specs in the game. Annihilation definitely still needs a damage boost, but the other two specs are doing insane dps wise right now. Combat sentinels can have a 93% crit chance + insane movement speed when 5 stacks of the buff are active. Not to mention, they can lock a target down with repeated use of lance during zen. In a pvp setting, the hindering effect of repeated usage of the lance ability during zen gives sentinels cc stronger than electronet while also allowing for strong dps output. Concentration can currently get 80k aoe burst crits at the start of zen. Hopefully, no other class will have burst potential this strong since sentinels are melee and are therefore at the most combat risk.

Sentinel feedback

How to make meaningful choices. What are they? I have played this class since the beginning of 2.0, and it's definitely my favorite, but I do play everything else too. I want to mention some things on how to make a good selection for this class as some of these ARE good, but could be way better. Or flat out just not as obvious of a selection while also helping the class and build options as a whole.

Also, the formatting of the details on what you get and what you choose is a bit unclear. If the third option without a © or whatever next to it is actually an option over the other two.. Then please rethink that completely. Don't make us choose the passive over abilities, that's terrible. (Turns out this is true.)

In watchman I cover all things, some things are the same going to the other specs so for full feedback watchman should be read first.

WATCHMAN

Overall the spec does not hit hard and pales in comparison to concentration, clearly one is burst and this one's dots. But there’s more than just a small gap between damage here. I do imagine with periodic amplifiers it will be better, but we will have to wait and see.

Level 10 selection with one not working, they seem to lack overall for damage. Concentration gets way better options. Better options could easily be made for example Watchman is a DoT AoE spec, why would concentration get its main ability to be AoE but the AoE DoT spec doesn’t get the option? That could be an obvious choice.

The 15% more damage that concentration gets would also be good to use for watchman too; this would ramp up its DPS as merciless slash hits for barely half of the focused burst.

The last option Melting center seems alright but the 10 centering isn’t really aligned with the other specs forcing it out of real options if Zen will be even more core to the class for damage. Centering stacks should be moved to the same selection as other specs to make it more balanced in choice selection so you do not feel like you’re forced into one meta selection only. Of course this is not available for combat, though I think it should be. It’s level 30 for Concentration.

The first thing I have a problem with is level 20 choices.

"Snaring Slash" we have an abundance of slows in general including roots. Steering away from making a spammable ability automatically slow should be the idea even if it's a decision you'd have to make. It just shouldn't be an option.

The other two are extremely generic. Shouldn’t have to select any of these.

However, a different idea to have a selection here is how do you want your transcendence to work, this is a staple ability for sentinel and it’s identity we should not have to choose for it.

"Transcendence" Raid wide speed and defense buff, also breaking roots and snares.

This ability is strong, this is literally the main utility marauder brings. I feel like there should be an option for this ability, if anything. For example, back in the day, only carnage had fast predation.

Also, the defense chance should just be removed flat out - in PvP, defense chance buffs and accuracy debuffs make white damage more unplayable than yellow damage. Here's a video that explains that

. If it's needed for PvE keep it, I just feel it’s adding to the many problems for PvP.

So a good option for "Transcendence" would be.

[A] Transcendence now gives you immunity for the duration to roots and slows, but your allies only get slow predation with root purge only.

Transcendence now gives everyone same speed predation (the root breaking and speed version we have today)

(There also should be a rate limiter of gaining either effect for 30s so class stacking can be kept under control.)

[C] Transcendence now purges roots for everyone and gives 10% defense chance while only the user gains speed. (If defense chance is reworked, see my ideas on defense chance rework as it’s a plague for tank and white damage in PvP.)

Why do I think this is a good choice? Marauder is very prone to knockbacks, slows and roots. With force crush immunity (which I think should be removed for sake of balancing all 3 specs) being the only true way to ignore all CC.

Not everyone having fast predation would definitely make things feel more feasible to play against, a lot of marauders would take immunity predation to avoid slows and roots, but they should still be CC'd and knocked so it's not quite as powerful as already existing hydraulics and with the defense buff removed, I feel it'd be more balanced.

Level 30 options are also bland.

Force lash seems like a cool idea, I like this but it does seem lacking as a choice as of currently.

Flaming wave also seems alright, but lacks info on how it’d work or how it will work in AoE situations.

Now Cauterizing focus is the one I have issue with, trauma is okay I guess. But only refunding focus on zen per application seems really redundant overall. You will likely pop zen before or after merciless slash to increase force melts damage, more so after a force melt spread. You will be unlikely applying cauterize during Zen unless you really don’t know what you’re doing.

A good option here instead would be.

Cauterize applies trauma on initial hit, then blade storm builds 10 centering. (To give blade storm more use since it’s staying in the kit and make it more inline with Concentration center building.)

Or, continue the same idea. Making it apply trauma but instead of refunding focus under zen, just make the ability free at all times.

Level 35, a list of issues for balancing all three specs out more evenly.

However, "Force clarity/Furious power" This.. This I don't like, can we please see its exit from the game?

It's an ability that has to be spammed off GCD to be used and causes more ghost GCDs than any other class.

Ghost GCDs have been mostly pinned down to charged abilities sometimes activating on the GCD.

Descent of the Fearless is also an extremely generic set bonus (literally BiS for nearly 5-6 specs while being super generic) and a Culling Blade is just ripping a passive out of carnage's tree called slaughter. I would love to give more feedback regarding set bonuses for the class as it very much so seems no one plays the class at even a moderate level that works on it. A prime example is Dashing Blade Master, that set requires you to use both of your escape tools to AoE slow and Crit with an escape ability that does next to no damage anyway? No offense, of course, you guys do great work so I don't want it to be taken negatively, it's just criticism of a bad set - at least in my eyes, I understand not everyone agrees but I would bet I am in the majority.

With force clarity and furious powers exit from the game allows for more options, while also removing a bugged ability that’d often take up a GCD when it wasn’t supposed to. Potentially save people from arthritis from having to spam off GCD ability indefinitely.

Burning center seems like an interesting choice, I sort of like it. I do not feel like it can be properly tested as things are.

Burning zen is lack luster and I feel it can be replaced with something much better.

Concentration gets “Criticality” sadly the descriptions on both forums and ingame aren’t great.

Basically what it does is makes your next ability after popping Zen become a super crit. (Basically auto critical, but that extra critical dips into multipliers increasing the attack's damage.) It also does more damage if you have more focus. It sadly can be used on any ability which I think should be changed to only 1-2 of the class's key abilities so we don’t have to mess up the rotation to optimize the use for the critical attack.

I also do think this is strong enough alone to not have increased damage based on how much focus you have, I think that whole idea is a nightmare and should just be removed.

This is where I suggest Criticality for watchman. Only usable on Merciless slash, Twin saber throw or Dispatch. This would not only be a better choice in the line up but also keep all three specs more in line with each other.

Level 50, mostly good.

I feel like all melee should baseline get their breaker on a 1m 30s CD. But with most stuns being removed this may be fine to be a selection - though I disagree with most ability prunes as do most other people. I can see the vision and I am excited to at least give it a shot.

AoE DR I feel is alright choice since all three of these are the same they all have to make the same choices which makes this lineup feel more fair.

Double leap feels like it fits well in this selection so I think this entire row is pretty good.

Level 60

Jedi Adjudicator is basically the talent no one really used due to its uptime, it was a terrible rework of the passive called recompense (cloak of annihilation for mara) after the removal of retaliation in 3.0. In a lot of situations you do not find yourself auto attacking unless you’ve messed up pretty bad or simply don’t know what you’re doing. So I don’t feel like this is a good option and I have always felt that it should be reworked. If it was reworked I think it’d be a worthy selection, a way to do that is not have it proc off of strike nor zealous strike as one you don’t really use and the others only once every 14 seconds or so. It should however, proc off of every filler or big ability with its hinder rate slightly increased to compensate but not make it useless of which it currently is.

Trailblazer, it’s now reduced to 15% after this change “Cyclone Slash / Force Sweep damage has been increased by 10%.” I will be honest, Smash/force sweep definitely needed help, it currently does less damage than powertechs close and personal talent on combat/carnage. Does more for the other specs of course, so why not extend trailblazer to increase force sweep also instead of just cyclone slash? It’s a level 60 option, making it slightly more lucrative so it won’t just be skipped over as an option.

"Zealous Ward"

I don’t think this should be a choice, I think this should be baseline and gravity vortex CC immunity should be removed to make all three specs more inline with each other, with removal of most CC this will be less impactful to remove, while everyone gaining zealous ward free would give all 3 specs the same on demand CC immunity tied with their defense that’s already currently underperforming with and without it.

Saber Ward, as a whole, needs help. With the defense chance rework idea I have it would increase this abilities impact. The defensive as is not good enough to warrant a 3 minute cooldown. Look at Power Yield’s 1-minute cooldown with 30 seconds up-time on Powertech. It's so much better. Of course, they're different classes but even energy shield is more reliable as it's a flat 25% DR, saber ward is defense chance for white damage (which means RNG for white damage to land, and it will land if you get CC'd as defense chance bottoms out on CC) and 25% yellow ABSORB, not DR. Which.. I don't feel like I need to go further. With the cooldown being 3 minutes, it's bad.

A third option that could go here that’d make sense

Rebuke does increased damage back to the attacker, but also heals the same amount when ticked.

Or

Mad dash now heals for 10% on use extending mad dashes defense chance for another second.

Level 70

Guarded by the force, this is the staple defensive that marauders have had. There was a point where people would call it guarded by the devs. This should be the baseline for the class much like how focused defense is the baseline for guardians.

Force camouflage is another staple to the class. Continue later.

Mad dash is really good, however, I think the selection for this ability should be sooner and not be put up against higher cooldown abilities.

A good and reasonable selection here would be.

Force Camouflage or Pacify.

I don’t believe in triple selection, it always feels like you’ve made the wrong choice.

Another good selection would be.

Inspiration or Guarded by the force. (If guarded by the force won’t be baseline. I don’t think inspiration should be.)

Of current selections I disagree with

Mad dash being a selection.

Transcendence being a selection.

Inspiration is not an option but baseline while guarded by the force is not.

Cooldowns

Rebuke - 1minute.

Pacify - 45s - 1min (assuming we get it back it’d be the talented version.)

Guarded by the force - 2m 30s.

Saber ward - 3m

Force camouflage - 45s

Mad dash - 35s

Inspiration - 5m

Transcendence - 30s

Options should be closer in cooldowns and impact with each other. Hence why I suggest the selections I mentioned.

"Force Camouflage" I have loved this ability, but defel spliced genes has made the class a plague. I hope that the tactical is removed much like other problematic things.

This is where I feel you could make another good and impactful choice that'd benefit the class as a whole.

[A] While in Force Camouflage you regenerate a portion of health when it ends, including when ended prematurely, while also still cleansing roots and other cleansable. However, the cooldown is increased by 15 seconds, making it 1 minute instead of 45 seconds.

Force Camouflage stays the same as it is now, and also resets Cloak of Pain’s cooldown on expiry.

Of course, these things will repeat if the selections are the same for all 3 specs.

COMBAT

Level 15.

Zen Lance. The cooldown reset seems cool but resource-wise it'd never really be affordable. Driving Lance is also cool, but I would have to hope most spammable slows would be gone for this to actually perform well. While both of these are cool, I feel they could be refined to be more practical and usable.

Puncture seems pretty cool in general, but I feel all of these selections are weak, much like watchmans.

Instead of having the lance reset on zen, making lance or clashing blast do 15% more damage and apply trauma would give a good boost to the spec while being in line with other specs.

Level 20.

Again, Slash, spammable slow. This is part of our current problem. Please don't. Thank you. Having a slow is good, but this is not the way to do it. A good way to do this is on an ability that is not spammable along with that if most overpowered movement speed increases get nerfed the need for such slows decreases tremendously.

I still think much like watchman this should just be a selection of what transcendence you want.

Level 30.

The options seem okay, but for balance sake.

I think it's best to keep these options as offensive or utility-based unless they're a tank? Otherwise, you will feel like you made the wrong choice all the time. As sometimes you will either be too squishy or take no damage. If the class is weak defensively it shouldn't have to suffer in damage to become more survivable. This is something juggernaut DPS is struggling with at this very moment.

Even with missing the 10 centering compared to the other specs, Valor blade seems very competitive while the other two seem fun to mess around with. Great job on this honestly best row I have seen.

Level 35

Quickness is actually really cool. This is my favorite thing about Concentration. This is, however, Combat.

While I like the idea, it seems silly as most of its cooldowns are already low and it's basically just stealing a passive from concentration. Of course, I am not against it but it does seem like one of the weakest choices you could have given us and it feels not creative at all, much like Culling Blade set bonus. But, do remember it doesn't need to be creative to be good, balanced, or even fun.

Criticality much like for watchman would be amazing and potentially make more sense in combat.

To avoid repeating myself, I will skip the rest, as they have the exact same issues.

CONCENTRATION

Level 15

These look great, perfect actually.

I am iffy about Trauma, but you'd take a good hit to take Trauma if this is meant to be an option and not added to both. If it is added to both I think it should go. Heals already struggle, so I don't think it'd be a good idea to add extra ways to apply trauma when we already have an ability that's dedicated to it and spammable - which.. Brings an idea.

Bring back Deadly Throw. Make it replace Trauma Leg Slice. Give it a cool down and make it free but also allow it to root, like it once had in combat. (Really any spammable trauma, like what snipers have, should get some sort of cooldown. Tanks can already mass apply trauma by just doing an AoE.)

Level 20

Should be options for transcendence as I mentioned for other specs.

Level 30.

Zealous Annihilation, unless TTK is really fast, it's going to be quite hard to get this to work.

The other two are fine.

The rest are sort of reoccurring.

Also, level 80 is probably not finalized - but the options are pretty lacking.

I feel brazen should be baseline , the slow seems unneeded in general if most slows are being lowered and CC as a whole is also getting knocked down. It should be watched carefully to not add too many of these things back in.

Inspired focus seems interesting, I would like to take this talent without feeling I am making a mistake. I think this would be a good selection to have a healing option for this row.

Like mentioned before.

Rebuke does more damage back to them and also heals each time it does damage for the same amount.

Mad dash now heals for 10% on use extending mad dashes defense chance for another second.

Defensive chance rework for PvP

Defense chance adds a huge element of RNG for PvP and if it had impacted yellow damage from the start the amount of complaints about it would have been through the roof. Melee have dealt with it forever, sacrificing stats for accuracy to try to counteract it only for tanks to gain a -5% accuracy debuff making accuracy further needed but also less valuable as a stat. It’s a really rough situation for any white damage in PvP without some sort of accuracy buff like sniper or slinger.

So if defense chance would work differently in PvP basically turning it into a scaling DR stat while remaining the same for PvE. This would help with multiple different things all at once, the biggest one would be tanks and the plague that is skank tanks. This would give tanks the ability to build a stat that will actually help them be a tank, while also removing majority RNG from PvP. If Sweeping Slash and Lacerate didn’t miss then Flame sweep wouldn’t have such an advantage in the trauma applying department. It’d also up their viability in cleave situations, while again giving a stat to make them actually tanky.

You could then give a certain stat point to reach as a tank to guard someone, so you’d nearly immediately eliminate the full dps gear tank. I do think alacrity and critical are okay things to build as a tank, more so alacrity but it could be as simple as swapping mods to defense chance to balance it out more.

This would also just help white damage dealers as a whole specifically as they’ve always gotten the short end of the stick. This would also mean different defensives that have fallen off and started showing their age as expansions and health goes up would immediately become good again. They’re also 2-3minute cooldowns, rather long to be worse than power yield which is 30 seconds and 1minute cooldown. These are Saber ward and Deflection, if defense chance is swapped to scaling DR they’d gain flat DR while it’s active. Obviously the scaling wouldn’t be 1:1 for DR but it’d still be a considerable amount of DR to help with survival. I do think these defensives need help if this didn’t happen because they’re not that great most damage is yellow now.

And yes I mean all defense chances gained in PvP be converted to DR for PvP interactions, like sonic defense, predation, furious strike defense chance, chaff flare and more. This would simplify defensives as a whole and defense stats for PvP to make generally more sense as a whole for all.

This of course would make accuracy again no longer a needed thing and make no difference between yellow and white damage. Accuracy debuffs, however, cause a lot of issues and won’t be so painful to deal with if defense chance is gone as a whole.

As a reference note to something I have mentioned in this is defense chance rework.

(While it’s not completely sentinel-related and more game balance wise it will make everything make more sense..)

With our next phase of PTS now live, you can help test the Combat Style for the Jedi Sentinel.

Please answer the following questions:

• What abilities make the Sentinel unique to you?
  • Do these ability paths feel effective against enemies?
  • If you have feedback on the different disciplines and loadouts, please note your feedback accordingly so we can track it.

Feel free to answer in as much detail as possible to help us understand your thought process and line of thinking.

Thank you!

Do these ability paths feel effective against enemies?

I like the idea of choosing a path in a skill tree, but i think how sentinel is now presented on the PTS is wrong in alot of aspects. I like the fact that you can choose between different kind of passives. what influences in a diffrent kind of playstyle. But removing or let us choose between key abilities what makes the class is the worst thing you can do. As pvp player our best defensive abilities are removed. Pacify with the ruthless agressor utility is by far the best defensive of marauder in pvp. and at the end you need to choose between blade blitz, force camo and guarded by the force. This mean most players in ranked would choose force camouflage. This means that you end up with only two defensives no hardstun and no mezz.

YAYYY!!! we still have saberward litterly the most outdated defensive for pvp at all. 25% DR against yellow damage does nothing in 6.0+ you also have the 50% defense to whitedamage thats nice. The only problem is that almsot all kills in pvp are yellow damage. This will make the class in pvp useless!!!! PLEASE!! don't remove pacify, don't remove rebuke and dont let players choose between guarded by the force and force camouflage.

I get that the SWTOR team want to remove abilities, but why would you ever remove key abilities that are so important.

There is a option to remove some defensives, but pacify + ruthless agressor in pvp is key. this is the only short cooldown defensive marauders have. I hope that nothing what comes close to what is live now for marauder on the PTS ever makes it live.

Removing bloodthirst, Furious power and crippeling slash would be fine for me. i still use those abilities alot now, but this will make the change less impactfull for any balance in pvp

if this setup on the PTS will make it live i deffinetly will quit my sub what i already have for 5 years straight now

Edited by Funtwoo

I don't think sentinels not having force choke will be that big of an issue to be honest. They make up for their lack of cc with an obscene amount of damage. If combat or concentration were placed in the current meta, they would easily be the highest parsing dps specs in the game

The " obscene amount of damage " is just the current pts state, everyone like big number, but from a gameplay perspective you can't have one class who make too much damage in coparaison to other, because what will be the point to play an underperforming class while you can have it easy with a sentinel ? so the number will be tune in the same range as everyone, minus the missing abilities who will make a sentinel unplayable in pvp content.

Combat sentinels can have a 93% crit chance + insane movement speed when 5 stacks of the buff are active.

100 % crit is fun i agree, but that means it will be taken into account when the dps ballance will be done, making the class underperforming in short fight and fight when he can loose his crit stacks.

Not to mention, they can lock a target down with repeated use of lance during zen. In a pvp setting, the hindering effect of repeated usage of the lance ability during zen gives sentinels cc stronger than electronet while also allowing for strong dps output.

With the cost of Lance and zen requiered, you need a full focus bar to pin down a target, which make the setup predictable and that can be easily countered ( bump and stun have entered the holochannel ).

Electronet is still better by far on many point :

• If CC the commando/mercenary electronet is still on your face while hindering last only 1.5sec.
  • If you make any other action than Lance the hinded target can move away, electronet don't have this weekness once cast
  • Electronet last 10 sec with no setup, you can only keep hinded target on the target for 5-6 sec WITH setup before you need to fill in the focus bar
  • if the sentinel is out of range no more lance.
  • Etc.

PvP player are not target dummies (for the most part), don't expect them to stand still.

Concentration can currently get 80k aoe burst crits at the start of zen. Hopefully, no other class will have burst potential this strong since sentinels are melee and are therefore at the most combat risk.

That was already the case some year agot, and Concentration was changed since, i don't expect them to make the same mistake twice.

Every class still have some form of cc available, sentinel can't be the only one who don't have any, just from a balance perspective.

Edited by KaellSolaris

Sentinel feedback

How to make meaningful choices. What are they? I have played this class since the beginning of 2.0, and it's definitely my favorite, but I do play everything else too. I want to mention some things on how to make a good selection for this class as some of these ARE good, but could be way better. Or flat out just not as obvious of a selection while also helping the class and build options as a whole.

Also, the formatting of the details on what you get and what you choose is a bit unclear. If the third option without a © or whatever next to it is actually an option over the other two.. Then please rethink that completely. Don't make us choose the passive over abilities, that's terrible. (Turns out this is true.)

In watchman I cover all things, some things are the same going to the other specs so for full feedback watchman should be read first.

WATCHMAN

Overall the spec does not hit hard and pales in comparison to concentration, clearly one is burst and this one's dots. But there’s more than just a small gap between damage here. I do imagine with periodic amplifiers it will be better, but we will have to wait and see.

Level 10 selection with one not working, they seem to lack overall for damage. Concentration gets way better options. Better options could easily be made for example Watchman is a DoT AoE spec, why would concentration get its main ability to be AoE but the AoE DoT spec doesn’t get the option? That could be an obvious choice.

The 15% more damage that concentration gets would also be good to use for watchman too; this would ramp up its DPS as merciless slash hits for barely half of the focused burst.

The last option Melting center seems alright but the 10 centering isn’t really aligned with the other specs forcing it out of real options if Zen will be even more core to the class for damage. Centering stacks should be moved to the same selection as other specs to make it more balanced in choice selection so you do not feel like you’re forced into one meta selection only. Of course this is not available for combat, though I think it should be. It’s level 30 for Concentration.

The first thing I have a problem with is level 20 choices.

"Snaring Slash" we have an abundance of slows in general including roots. Steering away from making a spammable ability automatically slow should be the idea even if it's a decision you'd have to make. It just shouldn't be an option.

The other two are extremely generic. Shouldn’t have to select any of these.

However, a different idea to have a selection here is how do you want your transcendence to work, this is a staple ability for sentinel and it’s identity we should not have to choose for it.

"Transcendence" Raid wide speed and defense buff, also breaking roots and snares.

This ability is strong, this is literally the main utility marauder brings. I feel like there should be an option for this ability, if anything. For example, back in the day, only carnage had fast predation.

Also, the defense chance should just be removed flat out - in PvP, defense chance buffs and accuracy debuffs make white damage more unplayable than yellow damage. Here's a video that explains that

. If it's needed for PvE keep it, I just feel it’s adding to the many problems for PvP.

So a good option for "Transcendence" would be.

[A] Transcendence now gives you immunity for the duration to roots and slows, but your allies only get slow predation with root purge only.

Transcendence now gives everyone same speed predation (the root breaking and speed version we have today)

(There also should be a rate limiter of gaining either effect for 30s so class stacking can be kept under control.)

[C] Transcendence now purges roots for everyone and gives 10% defense chance while only the user gains speed. (If defense chance is reworked, see my ideas on defense chance rework as it’s a plague for tank and white damage in PvP.)

Why do I think this is a good choice? Marauder is very prone to knockbacks, slows and roots. With force crush immunity (which I think should be removed for sake of balancing all 3 specs) being the only true way to ignore all CC.

Not everyone having fast predation would definitely make things feel more feasible to play against, a lot of marauders would take immunity predation to avoid slows and roots, but they should still be CC'd and knocked so it's not quite as powerful as already existing hydraulics and with the defense buff removed, I feel it'd be more balanced.

Level 30 options are also bland.

Force lash seems like a cool idea, I like this but it does seem lacking as a choice as of currently.

Flaming wave also seems alright, but lacks info on how it’d work or how it will work in AoE situations.

Now Cauterizing focus is the one I have issue with, trauma is okay I guess. But only refunding focus on zen per application seems really redundant overall. You will likely pop zen before or after merciless slash to increase force melts damage, more so after a force melt spread. You will be unlikely applying cauterize during Zen unless you really don’t know what you’re doing.

A good option here instead would be.

Cauterize applies trauma on initial hit, then blade storm builds 10 centering. (To give blade storm more use since it’s staying in the kit and make it more inline with Concentration center building.)

Or, continue the same idea. Making it apply trauma but instead of refunding focus under zen, just make the ability free at all times.

Level 35, a list of issues for balancing all three specs out more evenly.

However, "Force clarity/Furious power" This.. This I don't like, can we please see its exit from the game?

It's an ability that has to be spammed off GCD to be used and causes more ghost GCDs than any other class.

Ghost GCDs have been mostly pinned down to charged abilities sometimes activating on the GCD.

Descent of the Fearless is also an extremely generic set bonus (literally BiS for nearly 5-6 specs while being super generic) and a Culling Blade is just ripping a passive out of carnage's tree called slaughter. I would love to give more feedback regarding set bonuses for the class as it very much so seems no one plays the class at even a moderate level that works on it. A prime example is Dashing Blade Master, that set requires you to use both of your escape tools to AoE slow and Crit with an escape ability that does next to no damage anyway? No offense, of course, you guys do great work so I don't want it to be taken negatively, it's just criticism of a bad set - at least in my eyes, I understand not everyone agrees but I would bet I am in the majority.

With force clarity and furious powers exit from the game allows for more options, while also removing a bugged ability that’d often take up a GCD when it wasn’t supposed to. Potentially save people from arthritis from having to spam off GCD ability indefinitely.

Burning center seems like an interesting choice, I sort of like it. I do not feel like it can be properly tested as things are.

Burning zen is lack luster and I feel it can be replaced with something much better.

Concentration gets “Criticality” sadly the descriptions on both forums and ingame aren’t great.

Basically what it does is makes your next ability after popping Zen become a super crit. (Basically auto critical, but that extra critical dips into multipliers increasing the attack's damage.) It also does more damage if you have more focus. It sadly can be used on any ability which I think should be changed to only 1-2 of the class's key abilities so we don’t have to mess up the rotation to optimize the use for the critical attack.

I also do think this is strong enough alone to not have increased damage based on how much focus you have, I think that whole idea is a nightmare and should just be removed.

This is where I suggest Criticality for watchman. Only usable on Merciless slash, Twin saber throw or Dispatch. This would not only be a better choice in the line up but also keep all three specs more in line with each other.

Level 50, mostly good.

I feel like all melee should baseline get their breaker on a 1m 30s CD. But with most stuns being removed this may be fine to be a selection - though I disagree with most ability prunes as do most other people. I can see the vision and I am excited to at least give it a shot.

AoE DR I feel is alright choice since all three of these are the same they all have to make the same choices which makes this lineup feel more fair.

Double leap feels like it fits well in this selection so I think this entire row is pretty good.

Level 60

Jedi Adjudicator is basically the talent no one really used due to its uptime, it was a terrible rework of the passive called recompense (cloak of annihilation for mara) after the removal of retaliation in 3.0. In a lot of situations you do not find yourself auto attacking unless you’ve messed up pretty bad or simply don’t know what you’re doing. So I don’t feel like this is a good option and I have always felt that it should be reworked. If it was reworked I think it’d be a worthy selection, a way to do that is not have it proc off of strike nor zealous strike as one you don’t really use and the others only once every 14 seconds or so. It should however, proc off of every filler or big ability with its hinder rate slightly increased to compensate but not make it useless of which it currently is.

Trailblazer, it’s now reduced to 15% after this change “Cyclone Slash / Force Sweep damage has been increased by 10%.” I will be honest, Smash/force sweep definitely needed help, it currently does less damage than powertechs close and personal talent on combat/carnage. Does more for the other specs of course, so why not extend trailblazer to increase force sweep also instead of just cyclone slash? It’s a level 60 option, making it slightly more lucrative so it won’t just be skipped over as an option.

"Zealous Ward"

I don’t think this should be a choice, I think this should be baseline and gravity vortex CC immunity should be removed to make all three specs more inline with each other, with removal of most CC this will be less impactful to remove, while everyone gaining zealous ward free would give all 3 specs the same on demand CC immunity tied with their defense that’s already currently underperforming with and without it.

Saber Ward, as a whole, needs help. With the defense chance rework idea I have it would increase this abilities impact. The defensive as is not good enough to warrant a 3 minute cooldown. Look at Power Yield’s 1-minute cooldown with 30 seconds up-time on Powertech. It's so much better. Of course, they're different classes but even energy shield is more reliable as it's a flat 25% DR, saber ward is defense chance for white damage (which means RNG for white damage to land, and it will land if you get CC'd as defense chance bottoms out on CC) and 25% yellow ABSORB, not DR. Which.. I don't feel like I need to go further. With the cooldown being 3 minutes, it's bad.

A third option that could go here that’d make sense

Rebuke does increased damage back to the attacker, but also heals the same amount when ticked.

Or

Level 70

Guarded by the force, this is the staple defensive that marauders have had. There was a point where people would call it guarded by the devs. This should be the baseline for the class much like how focused defense is the baseline for guardians.

Force camouflage is another staple to the class. Continue later.

Mad dash is really good, however, I think the selection for this ability should be sooner and not be put up against higher cooldown abilities.

A good and reasonable selection here would be.

Force Camouflage or Pacify.

I don’t believe in triple selection, it always feels like you’ve made the wrong choice.

Another good selection would be.

Inspiration or Guarded by the force. (If guarded by the force won’t be baseline. I don’t think inspiration should be.)

Of current selections I disagree with

Mad dash being a selection.

Transcendence being a selection.

Inspiration is not an option but baseline while guarded by the force is not.

Cooldowns

Rebuke - 1minute.

Pacify - 45s - 1min (assuming we get it back it’d be the talented version.)

Guarded by the force - 2m 30s.

Saber ward - 3m

Force camouflage - 45s

Mad dash - 35s

Inspiration - 5m

Transcendence - 30s

Options should be closer in cooldowns and impact with each other. Hence why I suggest the selections I mentioned.

"Force Camouflage" I have loved this ability, but defel spliced genes has made the class a plague. I hope that the tactical is removed much like other problematic things.

This is where I feel you could make another good and impactful choice that'd benefit the class as a whole.

[A] While in Force Camouflage you regenerate a portion of health when it ends, including when ended prematurely, while also still cleansing roots and other cleansable. However, the cooldown is increased by 15 seconds, making it 1 minute instead of 45 seconds.

Force Camouflage stays the same as it is now, and also resets Cloak of Pain’s cooldown on expiry.

Of course, these things will repeat if the selections are the same for all 3 specs.

Ok, I disagree with mostly everything you say about the Watchman Combat Style. It’s clear to me that you mainly run Combat or Concentration. If you place most of your explanation that is under the Watchman spec instead under your Combat or Concentration explanation then you would be correct. I actually agree with those explanations.

I apologize in advance but I am going to go bit by bit and analyzing each thing you talk about when it comes to the Watchman combat style.

I agree with your first statement that the damage could be ramped a little better. But the point of this spec isn’t to do a ton of damage all at once through burst like in the other classes. The point of this combat style is to stay in the fight longer so you outlast your opponent. Heal as you’re hitting so you can survive the burst. Like a duel. Like Count Dooku. It literally is the OPPOSITE of burst. So it should feel that way. Not so you hit and run. You don’t need to move around as much with Watchman as you would with Combat or Concentration.

LVL 10

At lvl 10, you state that this is a DoT AoE spec. It’s not. This spec is actually a single target Damage over time spec that has SOME capabilities to go AoE. It should continue to focus single target with option to AoE. I state this pretty thoroughly in my feedback. Link below.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9967080#post9967080

Building Centering is lvl 35, seems fine to me. Not sure what you are referring to with the 10 Centering at level 10 with Melting Center. But I actually agree with the decision made at lvl 10 and disagree with you. This choice depicts how you go through your rotation on the Watchman. I agree with the devs here.

LVL 20

In your lvl 20 section, I disagree with several things. Let’s start with the statement that Transcendence is a Sentinel/Marauder’s identity. While I would agree with you if we were talking about the Combat or Concentration spec, I vigorously disagree with that statement in reference to the Watchman spec. As I state in my post Transcendence is integral to Combat/Concentration, but completely useless when it comes to the Watchman Tree. Zen and Inspiration, especially Inspiration, are essential in buffing the DoTs of the Watchman and spreading the burn/heals across to the whole team. This helps keep the whole team from wiping and keeps them alive longer. It also helps take a little weight off the healers. I’ve literally never used Transcendence. Not when I have other escape abilities like Blade Blitz or Force Camouflage. Transcendence is just not essential to the Watchman.

LVL 30

In your level 30, paragraph I understand what the Devs were trying to do here and I agree with the choices. Specifically with your feedback on Cauterizing focus, we differ heavily. Cauterize is an ESSENTIAL ability to the Watchman. Of course you apply Cauterize during Zen! Do you know what Zen does for DoTs? It literally makes the DoTs from Cauterize WAY better. Any DoT applying active ability NEEDS to be spammed during Zen. That is literally all you do. The reasons are twofold. One, Zen makes DoT damage better when applied by a DoT ability, and two, it increases self-healing capabilities to keep you in the fight longer. Great in PvE, phenomenal in PvP. Also, I LOVE that Cauterizing Focus refunds Focus. This was around during RofHC and SoR and I loved it. Works great for the class.

Blade Storm/Force Scream is a useless ability for this style and should be deleted.

LVL 35

Burning Center is good, I agree.

Burning Zen does NOT need to be replaced. That is a GREAT passive. It is an awesome DoT proc and allows you to use your ENTIRE Rotation to apply the most DoTs. If you are reading this Devs please keep Burning Zen in. It works amazingly. I used it on the PTS.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER. I’ll say it again.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER. One more time.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER.

The point of each spec is to be as diverse as possible so your character feels UNIQUE to you. Yes we may have two lightsabers in common but just like Asajj Ventress and Ahsoka Tano we wield them VERY differently.

LVL 60

I used Jedi Crusader talent because it allowed the rotation to flow more smoothly on Watchman. So I argue that counterpoint. I actually agree with your suggestion on Trailblazer.

I dissent to your paragraph on Zealous Ward. This is really beneficial to the Watchman but also allows the player to make a hard choice at level 60. Again, this is a playstyle choice that makes your character unique. Therefore, I disagree.

I like the idea around your Saber Ward rework but I dissent as a whole.

LVL 70

Again, I mentioned in my initial post that the 3 options posted at this level currently should be or could be combined in some way. If not, I make other recommendations for how to utilize these abilities best.

Force Camo should not go up against pacify. Making 3 choices was the initial option at launch in SWTOR. Not mad about them going closer to the skill tree situation.

FIRST and FOREMOST, I sincerely apologize for this next comment, but what?!!

(If guarded by the force won’t be baseline. I don’t think inspiration should be.)

Let’s use the transitive property here. If Transcendence = Combat/Concentration then Inspiration = Watchman. Inspiration is ESSENTIAL nay REQUIRED in group content for the Watchman. I stated this above that it should remain BASELINE because the amount it helps your OPs group during PvE and PvP content. Obviously we know, Combat and Concentration Jedi’s can’t really use Inspiration but Watchman certainly can and should. It buffs Watchman all around and is a part of every single group encounter ever.

I don’t believe Force Camo should be removed but retooled in a better way.

I like that each specialization/Combat Style is different. The point is to make your character unique in the Star Wars universe, not have a bunch of copy/paste drones running around the galaxy. How boring would the game be then?

Edited by igonnakillya

I see a lot of posts stating that Inspiration/Bloodthirst should be removed as a baseline instead of Transcendence/Predation.

While I personally don't believe that ANY ability that uses Centering/Fury should be restricted to the players, I also don't believe that any of them should exchanged for each other.

While Zen/Berserk and Inspiration/Bloodthirst are ESSENTIAL to Watchman/Annihilation, Zen/Beserk and Transcendence/Predation are ESSENTIAL to Combat/Carnage and Concentration/Rage.

Please do NOT restrict these abilities or make them options to the player base. Thank you. Please see link below for more of my feedback.

https://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9967080#post9967080

Hello, as a big fan of the Carnage Sith Marauder discipline, I would like to offer my feedback and suggestions regarding the 7.0 changes. I will use Combat Jedi Sentinel ability names since the 7.0 changes to Jedi Sentinel have not yet been mirrored to Sith Marauder.

Note: My feedback and suggestions are purely from the perspective of a Combat/Carnage player and I do not speak for the other disciplines.

Ability tree choices

Snaring Slash(20) - Add 20% healing reduction debuff in addition to the current effect to make up for the loss of Leg Slash - this way PvP players can keep the old Leg Slash effect without the extra button press.

Transcendence(20) - Shouldn't be a choice, should be baseline. It's an important part of Combat's identity of swift, quick strikes - aside from that, I really like the decision to merge it with the old Ardor utility.

Defensive Flourish(30) - I see no reason why would anyone ever pick this purely defensive passive over the other 2 dps-focused ones. It's not that amazing and you are giving up potentionally a lot of dps for a small damage reduction. It should either be baked into another passive or moved to another tier where it competes with other defensive abilities. Making a defensive passive compete with two damage passives makes no sense for a DPS class (unless the defensive passive is so busted that it's a must-have).

Trailblazer(60) - Super boring talent, especially since part of its damage is now baseline, it's now even less appealing. I can see picking it in some heavy AoE situations, but can't we make it more interesting? Merge it with some other lesser passive or utility to make it more interesting.

Blade Blitz(70) / Force Camouflage(70) - Please don't make us choose between these two abilites, I love both of them and I hate the idea of having to choose one over the other. Blade Blitz feels like it was made for Combat (and Attaru form) by quickly dashing around, it's exactly waht I'd expect from Ataru user. Force Camouflage is also one of the reasons why I live Sentinel so much, it's so versatile and it just feels good to use. If your goal is to reduce the amount of defensive abilites, make Blade Blitz (or Force Camouflage) baseline and put Saber Ward there as a choice instead.

---

Baseline abilites

Force Stasis (Force Choke) - Please bring it back. It's one of the reasons why I chose to play Sith Warrior in the first place, Force Choke is just so iconic to the Dark Side. From a gameplay perspective, it was a really good stun ability (and also useful as a 2nd interrupt) and I am really sad to see it removed.

Force Sweep - Since the theme of 7.0 is ability pruning, this one is a perfect candidate. It serves absolutely no purpose for Combat, it's pointless to use in your rotation since it doesn't proc Ataru like Cyclone Strike does and it doesn't benefit from any passives like the Watchman does. It would be weird to delete it for just one discipline I guess, but honestly it might as well not exist for Combat.

Pacify - I don't mind removing this ability, it has little to no uses in PvE but I've noticed some players say it's a good abiltiy in PvP and I can definitely see why. So why not make it available in the new ability tree? In my opinion this is exactly what the ability tree should do, offer actual choices. It could take Transcendence's current place and that would make level 20 choices more meaningful, especially for PvP.

Blade Barrage - Another candidate for pruning, I don't remember ever using this ability in my rotation, it's bad as a filler since it breaks your Blade Rush hyper stacks and Combat has no passive that improves it to make it worth (there is one new passive at the 20 level tier on PTS that makes it deal bonus damage, so maybe it's going to be worth it? Although it currently competes with Transcendence so I don't see people picking it unless Transcendence is made baseline).

Saber Ward - I feel like this ability should be a talent or simply removed. Some people like it, it makes you feel like in the movies by deflecting blaster shots but honestly it doesn't feel good. It's rng-based defensive that is mostly used for the Force/Tech damage absorb anyways. My personal opinion is that it should be swapped with either Guarded by the Force(70) or Force Camouflage(70) on the ability tree - this way Sentinel still has that one good defensive baseline but not the boring Saber Ward.

Overall, I have to say, I am really satisfied with the new ability tree system and even though it's an upopular opinion, I think that ability pruning is a good thing. I know that people like to press buttons and watch fancy animations but at a certain point it becomes a chore to press all these buttons for abilities that could be easily made into passives (or merged).

Regarding the Combat discipline as a whole, I really like the direction that 7.0 is taking - it's solidifying its identity as a "nimble and quick, fast and deadly attacks" discipline, which is exactly what I'd expect from a discipline that utilizies Ataru form - dashing around, quick and fast attacks (this also why I'd like to see Transcendence and Blade Blitz baseline, it's just so iconic to Combat's identity).

Edited by IIGII

This comes from someone who has never done anything more than vet FPs and solo content on sentinels/marauders.

As for the specs:

Watchman:

15: Juyo Melt is pretty good. Melting Center looks good, but the 4x damage seems to not trigger or I couldn't tell. The 10 stacks of Centering helps trigger Zen quicker and more often. Sounds good in group content for some more offheals.

20: Transcendence should be a given ability. More reasoning below.

30: Not sure how I feel about Force Lash. Flaming Wave is great. It adds more aoe, when you had to wait for Sweep to go off cd and reapply the dots before using Sweep again.

35: Force Clarity should be a given, since the gear set for it works better on Watchman. Burning Center should be something more, but like Melting Center, it does help use Zen more. Burning Zen sounds good, but wouldn't shine if Force Clarity is an option and not a given ability.

50/60: choices are fine. Need more movement in fights? Double Leap. More defenses? Take that one. For 60, Cyclone isn't as useful as it is for Combat. Jedi Adjudicator and Zealous Ward are good for soloing.

70: I would swap Guarded with Stoic, personally. Stoic is far more useful for solo sentinels/marauders than Guarded is (I have not used Guarded, but players who do use it would take it)

80: The choices are not great as the other levels. If Stoic stays where it is now, then that is the only useful option for solo players.

Combat:

15: Puncture sounds great, but it would require positioning a lot more and with mobs liking to surround you, it would be a pain to make the best out of it. But in mob heavy fights, it would work better. The cd reset doesn't look appealing. If it did something more than just an armor debuff. For Driving Lance, it would work better if you had a way to track your movement speed.

20: Transcendence should be a given ability, since Combat/Carnage always lack as much defensives as the other specs.

30: I like the fact that using Blade Rush boosts your DR. Can't test Rush Down (obviously), but it has the issue as Driving Lance, but with the added issue of clarification. How fast you are moving when using it (like you need to be circling the target for the damage boost) or is it like Driving Lance? Valor Blade sounds good. But Valorous Call is not good enough to warrant a cd reduction per Blade Rush use. If Valorous Call did more than just max out Centering, it would be better.

35: I am sure others have said Force Clarity should be baseline/a given ability. I am on the opposite side. It should stay a choice for Combat, even if its just because of the gear set for Force Clarity. It is very weird on sentinels/marauders. Swiftness sounds good, but the duration should be increased by at least a second (miss one or two crits and it resets, not to mention how useful the speed boost is for Lance and Blade Rush), but not sure how balanced that would be.

50: Same as Watchman.

60: Trailblazer is good. A solo Combat player doesn't lose out on any DR boosts or defensives. But if the free swap stays, they can take Zealous Ward if needed.

70: Same as Watchman.

80: See level 70.

For Watchman sentinel, please change Overload Saber into a buff that boosts our dot damage and adds a heal over time on our characters. No more melee attacks to inflict this worthless dot please. No more weird mechanics that make playing Watchman tedious with spamming redundant skills. Also add a dot to blade storm just like in Vigilance.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER. I’ll say it again.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER. One more time.

ALL THREE SPECS SHOULD NOT BE IN LINE WITH EACH OTHER.

Let’s use the transitive property here. If Transcendence = Combat/Concentration then Inspiration = Watchman. Inspiration is ESSENTIAL nay REQUIRED in group content for the Watchman. I stated this above that it should remain BASELINE because the amount it helps your OPs group during PvE and PvP content. Obviously we know, Combat and Concentration Jedi’s can’t really use Inspiration but Watchman certainly can and should. It buffs Watchman all around and is a part of every single group encounter ever.

I don’t believe Force Camo should be removed but retooled in a better way.

I like that each specialization/Combat Style is different. The point is to make your character unique in the Star Wars universe, not have a bunch of copy/paste drones running around the galaxy. How boring would the game be then?

I am sorry that I didn't make it as clear as I wanted it to be. But I had no intentions of them being completely similar and you really stuck onto that instead of seeing the bigger picture. There are specific things that other trees are getting that are - from a PvP standpoint, too good to not let all three have it. Which would always leave a rather big difference in varying levels of PvP. While there should be differences in their different specs, I do not feel any of the specs should suffer because of ones the superior by far. For example, look at fury/Concentration in PvP right now compared to the other two. I do PvE but I am mainly only focused on PvP, I have played all three specs extensively and have done so for a long time.

So yes I know what berserk/zen does on watchman, of course I know you mean no harm. The things I have proposed are to increase its viability and make it more competitive with other DPS specs. As currently on PTS there is a huge gap, clearly we're not on a final stage so it's hard to truly compare. If you look back at previous expansions marauder/sentinel has had an auto critical on Annihilate/Merciless slash with 6.0 launch it was gone.

I think criticality should either come to all three or become a baseline thing to zen/berserk. Not having something in your kit reliably hit anything at all really increases the RNG of the spec, not just for PvP but also for parsing and raid boss encounters.

If you look at our counterpart of pure DPS classes, they have an ability that gives them auto criticals on their main abilities in all three specs. Including an accuracy buff button, we do not. So not only do we deal with missing our biggest abilities often in PvP we don't even have an option to auto crit them.

There are plenty of ways for the devs to make impactful and good but balanced options, having one or two that are the same when it comes to pre-existing things. Well, I don't feel like that's a bad thing as it's generic in option already.

Force camouflage being redesigned would be cool, a lot of work to do probably. Most of my ideas were designed to be the least effort to make it more functional.

As for the inspiration thing, I get it. But, there are times you do not need it, sure in operations you do but in Arena? You can't even use it. There are things that you could give up to have your raid buff that I do not feel would break the class in any way. While I view from a PvP perspective where this ability alone, is lesser used I am still trying to keep PvE in mind, to me, it sounds like you want to make less impactful decisions as a whole for PvE.

Though I would love bloodthirst or inspiration to not take zen instead of having Valorous call/Frenzy.

As for the spec being a single target, there are AoE options and spiteful saber does a good job at making the spec feel more fluid on a single target. However, a spiteful saber with just the slightest change of allowing sweeping slash to also refresh rupture instead of just slash would have made it an AoE monster. For all three specs, this is definitely the heavier AoE focused. While what I said isn't out of context I sort of didn't think it out much for labeling's sake.

My favorite version of annihilation/watchman was 2.0. Force rend in my opinion has always made the rotation slightly off, which is part of why I like spiteful saber as much as I do. It really reminds me of the old annihilation/watchman flow minus 0meter leap, which I miss a lot.

But thank you so much for actually reading it. I spent a lot of time on it and testing on PTS, I consider it a win at least someone has read it. I do make some content so if you want to see what kind of player I am those video links I initially added explaining accuracy in PvP is my channel.

I assume you read the defense chance rework? Then how it'd impact something like transcendence and predation plus saber ward? I would love to know how people would feel about that - as it does tackle way more than just this class but as a huge issue as a whole.

(also, edit. Thoughts of force clarity/Furious power? I hate it personally, the GCD video explains it way better. It's generic no? Should go yes?)

Edited by Beyrahl

I think that the Sentinel/Marauder changes overall felt good at the start of the PTS, but seeing other classes as of now makes them feel extremely underwhelming.

For the base of the class, it’s identity doesn’t seem to translate compared to the original class over the years. It has consistently lost abilities unique to its class or specs, while hardly gaining anything to compare in the meantime. Most of the changes for the class recently haven’t felt as innovative as other classes or specs. Mad Dash for example, was created as a counter to the amount of mobility in the game. Yet it has double the cooldown of a Mercenary’s 2-charge rocket out with less benefits and can still be damaged through. I am okay with Sentinels/Marauders being forced to choose between their defensives or having them taken away entirely, but from what I have seen it doesn’t look like there is much to replace the things that are being lost in regards to damage. The defensive choices being given for the level 70 choices don’t feel right, as it will leave the class with a maximum of 4 DCDs (2 of which being chosen, Predation being nerfed on top of that, and no Obfuscate or Ruthless Aggressor from what I have seen), while Snipers for example, get 6 DCDs as a base, keep their 3 rolls if they get Countermeasures to pair with Imperial Preparation, and still get to choose 1 more between Teleport/Bubble. On top of having options for their Laze Target/Ambush to reset, or AoE Ambush + Slow, which does the same thing that damage options for Sentinels/Marauders do with more benefits, without any loss from their defensives. The amount of damage output that Sentinels/Marauders would have to put out as a counter would have to be massive for all specs, especially ones that aren’t Fury/Concentration because they have no form of a counter to negate any of the knock backs, slows, roots, etc.

For Concentration/Fury, it is in the best place currently (in regards to pvp) because of its utility in Gravity Vortex and the 0-10 meter leap off of Obliterate. The changes being given overall are beneficial for the class, especially if Defel Spliced Genes is being taken away, but I don’t think that they are necessarily needed compared to what the other specs have. Its sustain/filler DPS abilities hit harder than most strong hitting abilities on both of the other specs that the class has. Adding abilities/passives that give the spec a higher chance to survive (Obliterate mini saber ward for example) as well as higher damage choices (like Raging Burst AoE) feels unneeded when the other two seem to be a bit left behind.

For Watchman/Annihilation, the class overall feels lacking. Even currently it doesn’t feel like a rewarding class to play in damage or skill. Skill-wise, the rage management compared to Vengeance/Vigilance is punishing. Outside of times where I am being stunned/slowed or taking damage to build rage, rage management has to be perfect. Whereas Veng/Vig has 3 (4 if you count Vengeful Slam) rage builders outside of leap, as well as only having 2-3 abilities that actually consume rage in the spec’s rotation. Compared to the 2 rage builders that Watchman/Annihilation has. This does create a bit of a skill gap, but doesn’t create as big of an outcome as it should be, and could be solved easily by adding in a base to the spec again or at least the option for a 0-30 meter leap. If interrupts were a worry at that point, you could change it into the interrupt only being effective from 10-30 meters. And if not that solution, another solution of lessening the rage spent on Vicious Slash while under the effects of the Spiteful Saber tactical.

As for the damage output of the spec, it is currently carried by its single-target tactical, and still loses out to other classes/specs (Lightning, Pyrotech, AP, etc.) consistently in raids. Being the melee pure-DPS class, it should be more rewarding to play. Especially considering that it is the only class without any significant self heals and it has to sit within melee range of a boss. On top of that, it has no payoff any more. The average that Annihilate/Merciless Slash has done for me in raids is under a 30% crit rate, sometimes being as low as 16% on boss pulls, and still doesn’t do as much as it probably should. The spec feels like it is entirely sustain/filler abilities. It could be solved by adding in some form of an auto-crit for the hardest hitting abilities after Berserk/Zen once per minute or so to prevent spamming, or it could scale with the amount of dots that you have on a target, increasing its flat damage by X% per dot on a target, creating a way for Annihilate to be more rewarding in both pve/pvp without it being a guaranteed big hitter for people and chunking most of a target’s health without at least somewhat of a rotation. And speaking of pvp, the class has no beneficial piece to it that makes it more desirable than any other spec in the class or other dot specs in the game. It’s dot spreading feels small, and dots quickly fall off creating no pressure over time, while it has no single target pressure as well with white damage abilities missing way more than they should or hitting for small amounts. I hit harder with my Vicious Slash in the Jugg tank spec with DPS gear than I ever have with the same ability in Marauder/Sentinel, with the same gear set up.

For Combat/Carnage, I don’t have much input currently other than its damage output and usage in pvp. The first piece is that defense chance makes it nearly impossible to sustain a high level of quick burst on people, since all but 1 of the abilities the spec uses is white damage (Though that is a problem that all marauder specs have) which is worrisome to have to counter, especially without a stun to negate the defense chance that people have. With the scale of the sustain abilities and the chance of missing while-damage abilities, its TTK on people is about the same as Fury/Concentration could do in most situations, which shouldn’t be the case considering its role as the game’s “speed spec”. As for the other worry, I am excited for the speed build options, but concerned for how it will mesh with the rest of pvp. If Sentinels/Marauders are the only class being left without the option of stuns and having less root/slow breaks, the way it scales with speed won’t be viable at all. Some form of a root/stun resistance would be required to survive, though I am unsure of how to implement that.

The defensive choices being given for the level 70 choices don’t feel right, as it will leave the class with a maximum of 4 DCDs (2 of which being chosen, Predation being nerfed on top of that, and no Obfuscate or Ruthless Aggressor from what I have seen), while Snipers for example, get 6 DCDs as a base, keep their 3 rolls if they get Countermeasures to pair with Imperial Preparation, and still get to choose 1 more between Teleport/Bubble.

Snipers actually only have 3 DCDs baseline. Roll, shield probe and diversion.

Imperial preparation doesn't reset roll baseline.

They can gain back evasion through an opt in passive which turns their threat drop into evasion + roll reset.

The only way you get 3 rolls is by taking this passive.

Sentinel has definitely been over-pruned. The next PTS patch is coming sometime this week, so hopefully changes have been made to all the current combat styles alongside any new ones based on the feedback we've given.

Edited by LordCamTheGreat

I saw that for the Countermeasures + Evasion combination, and implied that when I mentioned the 3 rolls with the Imperial Preparation Countermeasures reset. Still have to make the choice to get it which lessens the amount overall, but it is a low level option left to Snipers that also gets paired with movement impairment immunity that will work better than Predation, whereas the level 70 choices for Marauder make you choose between the 3 strongest DCDs available to the class. The baseline for Snipers when I was referring to it was Entrench, Diversion, Roll, Shield Probe, Cover Pulse, and then Imperial Preparation because it resets everything else. The only real DCD it feels like they are losing is Evasion from the combination (and roll heal if you want to count that being taken out) because for raids/pvp people will easily choose between the two options given at level 70 for the playstyle they prefer. It would make an extremely good hard counter to Marauders overall, which would be okay to have in the game for overall balance, but seeing how other classes are being handled makes it seem like Marauder is going to be really punishing and I am worried it will become unplayable in pvp specifically, along with losing out on a lot for pve as well compared to the utility of other classes and the options that will be left available. Edited by Ryu_Hyabuza

I personally wouldn't count a knockback as a DCD, nor entrench since from what I remember on the PTS, there isn't even an option to reduce AOE damage with it anymore - but I guess it comes down to what you count a defensive cooldown as, technically predation is a DCD because of the small defence chance increase it gives. Also even though the evasion+roll reset passive is a low level option, unless snipers gain their roll at that level, they only get roll at level 51 which is much later.

In a duel vs a marauder who no longer has any CC, entrench would literally do nothing and predation could be used to counter the knockback and then easily chase a triple rolling sniper with its 80% move speed. In the process of triple rolling, the sniper would then have wasted their evasion because evasion overlaps with roll immunity (also as you pointed out, no more roll healing). Evasion also can't last for 5 seconds anymore like it can on live. Yes you'd have to opt into predation in the first place - but I don't think I'd ever not choose it over the other two options.

At least one of the Sentinel's level 70 options (preferably camo imo) should become baseline with obfuscate/blind ability being reintroduced and replacing its slot. That way Sentinels gain back one of their unique defensive options and can choose between a dash, near immunity to damage for a few seconds or targeted accuracy reduction.

Hello everyone.

I Make previous feedback a while ago, here is a second more complete with a lot of ideas on how to improve the current situation of the sentinel combat style.

DISCLAIMER: this is my take on how I will make a combat style for sentinel, I do not pretend to speak for all the community, and you can disagree with what I wrote below as long as your feedback is constructive.

Currently this is what Common abilities:

Base Abilify avalable on pts :

• Strike
  • Zealous Strike
  • Slash
  • Blade Storm
  • Force Sweep
  • Cyclone Slash
  • Dispatch
  • Blade Barrage
  • Twin Saber Throw
  • Force Kick
  • Rebuke
  • Resolute
  • Force Leap
  • Force Might
  • Zen
  • Valorous Call
  • Inspiration
  • Introspection

18 base abilities, with 3 missing, two of them are added once again and one is removed, and another added:

Ability who Returns as Baseline:

• Force Stasis
  • Force Camouflage

Not having a CC really hurts, some might say they don’t need it and yes for most of PVE content you don’t need one, but for most PVP it is not the case, a 4 second hard cc is mandatory for a lot of situations (secure a kill, disrupt enemy gameplay, etc.).

Force Camouflage is also back as baseline for all Sentinels, main reason? That is our only threat lowering ability, it should not be a choice, especially as a DPS.

Ability Removed:

• Saber Ward
  • Pacify

Saber Ward is a good CD but more guardian oriented than Sentinel, we do not benefit from it as much as guardians, and I would prefer a new DCD more specified for sentinel.

On the other hand, pacify was a tool too strong in some situation and useless in other, his most common use his with Zealous Judgment, who finally give us a good DCD against Force and Techno damage, as well as an extra Dispatch.

New:

• Force Reflex: The force increases your reflex for 8 seconds reducing all incoming damage by 35%, damage taken during Force Reflex cannot be a critical blow. 90 seconds Cooldown.

I’ve always found it strange that none of the force classes have a DCD based on the theme of reflexes (both Jedi and Sith are supposed to have exceptional reflexes) so here come Force Reflex.

Instead of giving Sentinel a dodge like Agent/Smuggler, I keep the philosophy of sentinel DCD (aka reducing all incoming damage) and add a unique feature: no crit allows during duration, which is unique within all DCD of the game, compare to Saber ward who has an random 50% defence effect (meaning if RNG is on your side you take nothing, but if not it is like the cd is wasted), the effect is stronger, especially with the no crit allow feature. The duration is shorter as well as the cooldown.

With this we have 21 base abilities for Sentinel.

Combat Style Changes

Option given by the combat style are not a bad idea, being able to customise a given ability depending on what you need, or your personal style is something a lot a people want to see.

Problem come from execution, on each tier each ability or passive are in competition with each other defensive ability with damage ability or mobility. Some choices are so mandatory, other option will be discarded without second thought.

To improve the current system, there is only a few steps to apply.

• Give each floor an identity or a theme.
  • Offer different type of customisation while keeping the class identity and global balance.
  • Offer competitive choices, proposing interesting alternative to options who look like mandatory without “nerf” on the most interesting ones.

By following these two rules, I propose the following changes:

DISCLAIMER: Damage number put in the next part are placeholder, because I don’t have access to a crazy amount of data, I can’t propose a real balance tree for DPS number, consider the difference between them as an indication of the complexity of the action in relation to the benefit to be derived from it.

For a better visibility, of each tier, Common abilities will be in white, Watchman in red, Combat in yellow and Concentration in Cyan.

LVL 15 - DPS 1 tier

• Watchman - Flaming Wave: Force Melt sends a wave out from your primary target inflicting [x-y] damage.
  • Watchman - Hot Trace: Force Melt now leaps to the target within 10 meters and increases its damage other by 3% for each of your periodic burn effects on the target.
  • Watchman - Juyo Melt: Force Melt immediately maxes out your Juyo stacks and your damage over time deals 2% more damage for each stack you have.

1. Combat – Puncture: Lance deals additional damage to enemies in a straight line behind the primary target.
  2. Combat - Driving Lance: Lance now leaps to the target within 10 meters and does 15% additional damage and 10 % more if your current speed is superior to 100%.
  3. Combat - Zen Lance: Whenever Lance consumes a charge of Zen its cooldown is reset.

• Concentration - Unstable Focus: Focused Burst unleashes a burst of energy around the primary target dealing damage to nearby enemies.
  • Concentration – Implode: Focused Burst deals 25% less damage and cause a second explosion 1,5 seconds after the initial one, inflicting the same amount of damage.
  • Concentration – Gravitational Compression: Focused Burst deals 15% more damage, dealing damage with Focused Burst on a target afflicted by your Force Exhaustion detonate its effect, inflicting all the remaining damage at once, this detonation deals a critical strike if Focused Burst deal critical damage.

On this tier the options are centred around the customisation of the first ability obtained, themes are:

• More AOE

• More sustained DPS

• More burst

Watchman and Combat also gain the possibility to have an extra gap closer for balance purpose, Concentration already have one (Zealous Leap).

LVL 20 - Mobility Tier

1. Common - Blade Blitz: Quickly dash forward, dealing a small amount of weapon damage to all enemies along your path, and becoming immune to all damage for 1.5 seconds, can be used while immobilized, purges movement-impairing effects when activated. Increase your movement speed by 50 % during 6 seconds after the dash (Cooldown 30 sec).
  2. Common - Transcendence: Applies Transcendence to you and your group members within 40 meters removing movement-impairing effects, increasing movement speed by 80% and melee and ranged defence by 10%. Lasts 10 seconds. (Cooldown 30 sec).
  3. Common - Intercessor: Force Leap no longer have a minimum range and gets an additional charge, grant you 50 % increase movement speed for 3 seconds.

Transcendence is the same as it is on live, is a good CD both for self and group, in comparison Blade Blitz was just an emergency button to move away from current position or just a “dash here to go faster” button, by putting a purge and a speed boost after dash, it might become a more defensive-orient alternative to Transcendence with an initial damage soak. Intercessor is also buffed to help in the situation where you are instantly “bump” when you just arrived in melee range, and give more mobility.

LVL 30 - DPS 2 tier

• Watchman - Heat Wave: When your Cauterize deals damage it inflict to all target within 4 meters, if multiple Cauterize exist, only 4 of them deal area damage.
  • Watchman - Force Lash: Lashes out at target with the power of the force, dealing [x-y]. Deals [z] damage other time, damage are increased for each of your periodic burn effects on the target. Replaces Cauterize.
  • Watchman - Cauterizing wounds: Increase Plasma Blades healing effect by 5% and reduce internal and elemental damages by 5 % when cauterize is active on at least one target.

• Combat - Storm of Blades: Blade Rush hits an additional target for 100% of his initial damage.
  • Combat - Rush Down: Blade Rush deals more 10% more damage and 10% more if your speed is superior to 100%.
  • Combat - Defensive Flourish: Each time you deal damage with Blade Rush your damage reduction increases by 2%. Stacks up to 3 times and lasts for 10 seconds.

• Concentration - Zealous Stomp: Zealous Leap inflicted damage to all target within 4 meters around impact.
  • Concentration - Zealous Annihilation: Zealous Leap deals a critical strike and increases your critical strike chance of 20% for 4.5 seconds.
  • Concentration - Zealous Defence - Activating Zealous Leap puts a mini ward on yourself, which absorbs [x] damage. Lasts up to 10 seconds.

Customisation of the second ability given on this floor themes are:

• More AOE

• More sustained DPS

• More Defence

LVL 35 - Heal tier

• Inspire Focus: you heal for 1% of your maximum health whenever you activate an ability that consumes Focus.
  • Spirit Peace: Zen recover 3% of your maximum health when activated and 2% of your maximum health when a Zen charge is spent.
  • Battel Trance: Rebuke restore 2,5% of your maximum health and 1 focus when taking damage. This effect cannot occur more than once every 3 seconds, you can restore a maximum of 30% of your maximum health during the full duration of Rebuke.

This tier goal is to help the sentinel to stay alive without adding more DCD by recovering a portion of health. Inspire Focus is the same as live, Spirit Peace is a Riskier and Rewarding alternative where you recover up to 15% hp but required to be able to have a good Centering income to use Zen frequently, Battel Trance the defensive alternative giving more bulk to Rebuke, with the risk that enemies stop focusing you and wait for rebuke to expire.

LVL 50 - Centering tier

• Common - Keeper of Balance: Spending Focus reduces the cooldown of Valorous Call by 1 seconds, Force leap build 2 Centering when activated and you build 2 Centering when attacked. This Centering building effect cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds

• Watchman - Burning Barrage: Blade Barrage deals additional burning damage and builds 2 Centering on each hit, even during Zen.
  • Watchman - Melting Centre: Activating Force Melt immediately builds 8 Centering

• Combat - Energy Barrage: Blade Barrage deals additional force-based energy damage and builds 2 Centering on each hit, even during Zen.
  • Combat – Core Strike: Activating Dispatch immediately builds 8 Centering

• Concentration - Kinetic Barrage: Blade Barrage reduce the cost of your next focus costing ability by one and builds 2 Centering on each hit, even during Zen.
  • Concentration - Zealous Discovery: Activating Zealous Leap immediately builds 8 Centering.

Different option to boost your Centering income.

LVL 60 - Defence tier

• Perception of the Future: Reduce the cooldown of Force Reflex by 30 seconds and increases its damage reduction by 15%.
  • Guarded by the Force: Reduces the damage you take by 99% for 6 seconds. 2 Minutes cooldown. Can be used while stunned.
  • Defensive Roll: Increase your damage reduction increases by 5% and reduces damage taken from area effects by 30%.

Perception of the Future goal is to give an alternative to the king of sentinel DCD: Guarded by the Force who’s back with the ability to be used while stun, giving him the possibility to cancel a hard burst.

Defensive Roll is a more PVE oriented ability, here to help when you encounter a situation where there is a lot of AOE.

LVL 70 - Control tier

• Common - Heavy Impact: Force Charge, Force Melt, Clashing Blast, and Zealous Leap snare the target, reducing its movement speed by 50% for 6 seconds. Additionally Twin Saber Throw main target is knockback for 1.5 seconds, if the main target cannot be knockback interrupts its current action preventing it for being used in the next 1.5 seconds.
  • Common – Adamant: You generate 4 Focus when stunned, immobilized, put to sleep, or knocked down, the cooldown of Resolute is reduce by 30 seconds. Slash / Blade Rush reduce the movement speed of the target they hit by 50% and the healing it receives by 20% for 6 seconds.

• Watchman – Critical Overload: Overload Saber triggers Critical Overload, granting immunity to interrupts and all controlling effects for 6 seconds, this effect cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds. Additionally, your movement speed cannot be reduced below 70% of his normal rate.
  • Combat - Precise Mind: Precision triggers Precise Mind, granting immunity to interrupts and all controlling effects for 6 seconds, this effect cannot occur more than once every 30 seconds. Additionally, your movement speed cannot be reduced below 70% of his normal rate.
  • Concentration - gravitational acceleration: Gravity vortex increase your speed by 35% during his duration, additionally your movement speed cannot be reduced below 70% of his normal rate.

Control and Anti-Control tier, goal here is to propose different option to allow a better control of your enemies and offer anti-control options.

LVL 80 -DPS 3 tier

• Common - Force Clarity: Consumes all the ability charges of Force Clarity and applies Force Clarity stacks to you. Each stack increases your next direct single-target melee attack by 25% and it’s consumed whenever you deal damage with these attacks. Recharges 1 ability charges every 30 seconds.

• Watchman – Detonation: Merciless Slash detonate your Force Melt and Cauterize-Force Lash, inflicting their ticks damage. If the target has 1-2-3 stack of Overload Saber, consume all stack to inflict the remaining damage at once, generate 1-2-3 focus depending of the number of stack detonate and reduce the cooldown of Overload Saber by 33%-66%-100%. This effect cannot occur more than once every 20 seconds.
  • Watchman - Furnace: Merciless Slash refresh the duration of your Cauterize-Force Lash effect and ticks its damage. The burn damage bonus of Smoldering Burns is increased from 5 to 10% and its duration is increased from 4.5 seconds to 9 seconds.

• Combat - Swiftness: Spending Focus increases your damage by 2%, your speed by 5% and your crit chance by 5%. Lasts for 10 seconds and stacks up to 5 times.
  • Combat – Quickness: Critically hitting with Blade Rush reduces the cooldown of Lance, Precision, Clashing Blast and Hand of Justice by 1 second. This effect can only occur once every second. During Zen your Lance inflicted a critical strike, this effect cannot occur more than once every 4 seconds.

• Concentration - Focus Strike: if Concentrated Slice is used on a target afflicted by a damage over time, damages are increased by 35%.
  • Concentration - Focusing Slices: During Zen, Concentrated Slice inflicted a critical strike and consume up to 5 more focus, each focus consumed add 10% damage.

Another floor about damage, Force Clarity offer a general damage boost, other options for Watchman offer more burst or sustained damage with dot, Combat a faster cycle or more speed to synergize with other abilities, and Concentration more damage depending of conditions.

With all, Sentinel can have up to a maximum of 28 Abilities in his action bar:

• Watchman: 25 to 28
  • Combat: 23 to 26
  • Concentration: 25 to 28

Which correspond to a little more than two actions bars, that is in the same range as other classes.

If you made it this far congratulation! Feel free to tell me what you think about it, are some aspect or concepts too weak? to strong? no interesting? As I said earlier, if it is constructive feedback, I am open to any suggestion.

Edited by KaellSolaris

With the PTS up one again, did somebody see any changes in the sentinel Build ?

From what I saw when I logged in to check things yesterday, there weren't any "changes", at least for Combat, but there's what (at least currently) seems like a bug. I'll need to create a new Sentinel to be sure, but. Blade Blitz and Transcendence are both always showing up on my Sentinel's ability bars/list despite still being shown as options in the tree. Choosing their respective options doesn't do anything, doesn't even remove the effect of the other option (so if you take Guarded by the Force and then switch to Blade Blitz, you won't lose GbtF).

Maybe this isn't a bug and they intend to make Blade Blitz and Transcendence baseline again, but since they're both still in the tree as well it's hard to take that as the intent without being told that's the intent. Would be nice, especially if they then put some other abilities back in their place (Force Stasis in Transcendence's place being my primary hope, to at least be on par with Agents/Smugglers that have to select their 4s hard stuns around the same level). Unless Bioware actually speaks up and confirms this is the intent, though, I'm assuming it's a bug.

Edited by The-Kaitou-Kid

Ive just installed the PTS today. I get that you seem to be testing mainly sorcs at the moment, never the less I'd really like to see the changes you've made to my main class (warriors and marauders in particular) but there are no options. Is there a reason for this other than you are just testing sorcs right now? Or were the changes to warriors so badly received you've decided to completely rework them?

Ive just installed the PTS today. I get that you seem to be testing mainly sorcs at the moment, never the less I'd really like to see the changes you've made to my main class (warriors and marauders in particular) but there are no options. Is there a reason for this other than you are just testing sorcs right now? Or were the changes to warriors so badly received you've decided to completely rework them?

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe mirror classes are available at the moment. So Warriors were never available, only Knights. You'd have to roll a Sentinel to test Marauder changes.

I can confirm at least that Sentinels are there, tested them this week when the latest pts update dropped.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe mirror classes are available at the moment. So Warriors were never available, only Knights. You'd have to roll a Sentinel to test Marauder changes.

I can confirm at least that Sentinels are there, tested them this week when the latest pts update dropped.

Ah that makes sense, i just assumed they were using sentinel as a broad term for both sides. Not sure why they've done it this way, but thank for the reply.