Operative and Sniper on the PTS!

JackieKo

Hi all,

We will be taking down the PTS shortly to perform character wipes in order to prepare for the next phase. We intend on launching the next phase sometime this week. All relevant info will be posted once it is live. Should any of this change, we will let you know.

Thank you,

Jackie

Thanks for the update!

Considering the character wipes, is there any news on whether the process of gaining 306 gear will be made a little less arduous, especially for those of us who go back and test all the combat styles after their changes?

Also, it would be really nice if we could have a way of getting 110% accuracy rating as I don't think it's currently possible on the PTS (at least, I never noticed any gear beyond implants and earpieces having accuracy tertiary stats).

Hello everyone. This is one of the few times I post anything. Here is my opinion on one of the key works in what I read.

Anytime you take options away from the players, you make the class more cookie cutter. You did this when you followed in Warcraft's steps and made it so you could only pick abilities from one of the trees and said it was good because you gave 18 thing, which you get to pick 9 instead of the dozens (and yes I mean the plural). Fewer options always means less variation which is, by definition, more cookie cutter. This led to me taking a very long break from the game (many years and did play it at all even as a free game). And now that I came back, as a paying customer, you are now talking about taking even more of the ability to customize the characters away. Last time, I did not say anything. This time though I am going to say something. If you want the classes to be customizable, then give more options not fewer! If that is not your goal then just go ahead and take them all away. That way you can have what you are working toward which is all of the character's of a class being the exactly same.

This is my opinion. As soon as you do make them all cookie cutter characters, then I will stop paying to play the game again and most likely will not return.

Hello everyone. This is one of the few times I post anything. Here is my opinion on one of the key works in what I read.

Anytime you take options away from the players, you make the class more cookie cutter. (...) If you want the classes to be customizable, then give more options not fewer! If that is not your goal then just go ahead and take them all away. That way you can have what you are working toward which is all of the character's of a class being the exactly same.

This is my opinion. As soon as you do make them all cookie cutter characters, then I will stop paying to play the game again and most likely will not return.

100% agreed with this. Me and a friend reviewed the changes yesterday and we are very disappointed with what's been done.

Even when WoW pruned talents and builds in Cata, they didn't force people to choose between necessary abilities; the talents that expansion added were, iirc, mostly an addition to the classes which already had good baseline abilities and rotations. With this new update, you're not only forcing people to make choices that they didn't have to previously for their build, you're also setting a precedent for an even worse meta; you simplified the classes and now players are forced to choose between certain abilities or get outplayed, whereas ironically the current utility setup allows for much more diversification for your class than what we are currently seeing on PTS.

''In the Imperial Agent’s current state, there is quite a bit to learn and memorize--you need to understand active abilities, passive modifiers, selectable utilities, and how they all work together. Our goal is to make these relationships clearer and easier to understand, while also ensuring that the class retains its identity.''

So apparently having to learn how your class works, and reading tooltips, and thinking about how different mechanics come into play is now too hard, and players need to have a clearer view and easy (read: simplified) understanding of these? Got it.

Seems like you haven't really thought this out either, since making all classes more cookie-cutter is simply going to make certain choices completely worthless and others the most viable, and you'll end up with an even simpler class system than you originally intended. Have you learned nothing from contemporary mmo history? Or do you simply want to make classes easier to play so you'll appeal to a broader market? I wonder.

'' To make the Sniper and Operative feel less encumbered and customization more concise, we are working to reduce the quantity of abilities but ensuring that these classes remain distinct and unique.''

Not sure who exactly feels these classes are encumbered; I can only speak for Operative and I wholeheartedly disagree. Every ability in my action bars has its use; the only ability I would propose for pruning is Overload Shot, but I'm sure other Operatives would disagree.

If you want these classes to remain distinctive and unique, then I would suggest not forcing people into choosing 2/3rds of what their current rotation is, but rather deliberate on which abilities might be combined and which are truly in need of removal/updating. The way it currently is on PTS will simply force people into an even simpler, more widely accepted meta and some of the choices that you put in there will be completely ignored since they're just not worth it. The current state of builds/utilities doesn't do this perfectly, but it ironically comes closer to the vision you have for the classes in 7.0 than what is currently on PTS.