Can we get a response on the Ilum Boosting please?

Keffeine

Anyone who choses to get a character in SWTOR to 50 without experiencing its class story is missing out on the best part of the game.

I think the idea with XP boosts is brilliant for those who've seen all the other planet quests several times already and want to focus on quests that are unique to the new class they are levelling.

If somebody still wants to grind levels on Illum instead, he's either regrettably bored stiff with the game or totally focused on end game and probably a capable player who will not ruin other end gamer's experience when grouping.

So nothing to complain about here other than disregard for the creative efforts of class story designers.

Come to think of it, that's actually not "nothing"... ;-)

What if I'm grinding to 50 so that I can go back and experience the class story unimpeded?

Edited by Thaed

• Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it's not good for the game.

Even without rhe 2xXP weekends, it's already way too easy to level in this game and there's really too many people that reach 50 without understanding how to play PvE in a group or do warzones. The more you simplifie leveling, the less people understand their class, their role and how to behave in a group.

The leveling process should be quicker because it is incredible boring. There is no excitement in visiting different worlds because they all play exactly the same way, with absolutely dull story lines. They spent so much time on voice acting, they didn't develop solid stories.

Just to make it clear, I wouldn't want to tell anybody how to play the game. I'm just surprised by some gamers' attitudes. But just because I personally don't understand something, that doesn't mean there's not a point to it :-)

What if I'm grinding to 50 so that I can go back and experience the class story unimpeded?

"Unimpeded" is interesting here: For me it's less thrilling, if you're not in "real" danger in your class story, which is why I try to make sure not to outlevel planets while levelling. Which, admittedly, has always been a little difficult for me, being a completionist who explores the whole map of a planet and does all H2/H4 quests. My solution was not do all available low level flashpoints with one character, but reserve some for twinks I levelled later. And I didn't start PvPing before 50. It was still hard not to outlevel, but e.g. the conclusion of the knight class story that so many people are/were complaining about is just less entertaining if it turns out to be a walk in the park.

But as I said above, that's just for me...

tl;dr

I have done it, it was cool. Now don't let anyone else get it!

Seriously, why bother? Don't like people playing end-game content with you? I am happy more 50's come with every day.

100% AGREED!!!!

If this isn't your choice for leveling, do it how you like. This is GREAT for the game though!!! For the 1st time EVER in SWTOR (and I've played since early betas), I was grouped with 7 people from my guild of various levels and we were ALL having a freaking blast leveling TOGETHER.

This is something that should be ENCOURAGED! This weekend was the most active Ilum has been EVER...and it was FUN!!!

They said nothing yesterday. Working as intended.

I'm doing it on my assassin. Why? I've already done sorcerer, and it's my fourth imperial character...I'm not missing ANYTHING by doing so.

My trooper, conversely, I won't really be doing this much if at all, because Pub sides stories are all fresh, and the class story is cool, I want to do it mostly on level to really enjoy it.

Choices. Everyone has one.

"Unimpeded" is interesting here: For me it's less thrilling, if you're not in "real" danger in your class story, which is why I try to make sure not to outlevel planets while levelling. Which, admittedly, has always been a little difficult for me, being a completionist who explores the whole map of a planet and does all H2/H4 quests. My solution was not do all available low level flashpoints with one character, but reserve some for twinks I levelled later. And I didn't start PvPing before 50. It was still hard not to outlevel, but e.g. the conclusion of the knight class story that so many people are/were complaining about is just less entertaining if it turns out to be a walk in the park.

But as I said above, that's just for me...

I know I'm hopping in the middle here, but the whole "class story unimpeded" thing is EXACTLY why I love this. Class stories are the ONLY unique part of the leveling experience. Sadly, they are broken up by a minimum of 20+ additional side quests on each planet. The most fun I have had with a class story was on my 2nd Trooper class where I PvP'd to 50, and ran my class story only on planets. The story flowed! The story made sense. The story became 10x's more enjoyable to me because of this. Leveling 'normally', the class quests seem more like side quests...and I hate that.

Just my 2¢

100% AGREED!!!!

If this isn't your choice for leveling, do it how you like. This is GREAT for the game though!!! For the 1st time EVER in SWTOR (and I've played since early betas), I was grouped with 7 people from my guild of various levels and we were ALL having a freaking blast leveling TOGETHER.

This is something that should be ENCOURAGED! This weekend was the most active Ilum has been EVER...and it was FUN!!!

So because you find it fun, a possible exploit should be allowed and encouraged?

If the devs decide that it is working as intended, then by all means have a blast doing it. However, if the devs decide that it is indeed an exploit, then there should be consequences for those that used it and it should be stopped in the future.

I don't even use the power level technique but this post is just pure bullocks.

The whole "people need to sweat, bleed and stumble" their way to 50 is just a talking point people use to feel special. It's just like when people complain about how hard they had it but no one else has to hard. The more 50s the game has the better we all are.

The leveling process does very little to force ANYONE to understand their class. Need I remind you the leveling process does NOT force you to group. It does NOT force you into flashpoints and it does NOT force anyone to play their class "properly".

The whole, "I want to feel special because I'm 50" attitude needs to end.

QFT

Thank you for saving me the trouble of typing all this! :jawa_smile:

So because you find it fun, a possible exploit should be allowed and encouraged?

If the devs decide that it is working as intended, then by all means have a blast doing it. However, if the devs decide that it is indeed an exploit, then there should be consequences for those that used it and it should be stopped in the future.

Nope. What I am saying is that, whether intentional or not, this should be ALLOWED and ENCOURAGED as an alternative leveling path because it is a POSITIVE thing for the game.

If it is considered an "exploit", how would you suggest punishing players that used it? Ban them all for a few days? Set their levels to 1? Delete their characters? Pfft...they didn't roll back Valor when that exploit happened, they didn't remove credits from people farming Ilum loot boxes...those 2 had MASSIVE NEGATIVE impacts on the game for months!!! This is a POSITIVE thing...and you suggest they punish people? Ha! That's blatantly stupid. It was FUN for all who participated!!! It had NO negative effect on the game and NO long lasting negative side effect. It was ALL good!!!

I wouldn't draw that conclusion. I've noticed they don't respond to the hard questions on Mondays. ;)

FWIW, I support this alternate leveling path.

It's the only rational conclusion - at this point.

I wouldn't apply this thought process to the weekend. Expecting them to handle this kind of 'questionable' action on a weekend is unrealistic.

Either way, not arguing with you sir...just laying out my reasoning, right or wrong. I'll continue doing it this week on my assassin but not my trooper (as my trooper is all fresh content, I'm liking that better honestly, even if slower)

I wouldn't apply this thought process to the weekend. Expecting them to handle this kind of 'questionable' action on a weekend is unrealistic.

TBH, if this was such an issue I expected there would have been a patch for it today. I'm tempted to do this with some of my languishing alts but I'm just having too much fun with my first 50 and the Gree event. :csw_bluesaber:

It is detrimental to the game, though not to the point that some people complain about it. Essentially, it will take people out of the 1-50 leveling game in the long term if left as is. Less people leveling increases WZ times, FP times and just takes away from the atmosphere of planets. These are things that right now I don't particularly care about, due to being sick of the planetary grind, though there are times when I simply like to go back to basics and level a new character normally.

I'm glad there's at least one person around here with common sense. When you're speed leveling to 50 in Illum your not grouping up for the 1-49 content. The flashpoints, the warzones, the planetary heroics..etc. Yes, people that have already leveld to 50 in the game dread doing some of that stuff , I've got 5 50's and working on another,but games rely on people making alts and doing these things. There's no enough new people coming into the game to keep it actively healthy alone. I don't expect the same kind of people that whine about leveling, traveling, credit sinks...etc, to understand or care but having such a thing in the game does seriously effect the game.

It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that BW wasn't intendeding on bolstering level ones to do level 50 content. I don't knw of they intend on letting it slide because it's just a short-term thing though but you can count on having way too many people in this spot if it's there come this weekend. There were hundreds when it wasn't widely known but now most people are hearing about it. I think the problem will correct itself and hopefully it doesn't take the servers down in the prcoess because your harmless little powerleveling will be the focus of wrath for a lot of very very pissed off people.

Edited by sumuji

I'm not waiting for a response on this.

I think it's a cheesy and incredibly dull way to level so I didn't do it, however I couldn't care less if other people did.

That pretty well sums it up for me.I have 6 50s not including two I deleted.How someone else plays there game is their buisness.How I play is mine.I won't do it because I enjoy going thru the game.I like the boost because it is nice to see a good reward for doing all the quest..I don't do FPS or HRs most of the time because they are boring to me.That is me.To each his own.

so i just tried this bolster thing on ilum with my lvl 36 sniper.

on stardard mobs in gree area i got 550xp (rested) i then went to quesh and shot up a 37 mob and got 501xp(rested).

so its not THAT much of a big deal at least to me. i wont go make a fresh lvl 1 to see the benefits but i say meh.

the onl thing that pissed me off was having a few lobies gank me while killing a guardian but other than that its no big deal to me

Maybe I'm just new here, but wouldn't trying to take down a level 50 with your level 10 result in your character getting smooched?

How are people speed grinding?

You get bolstered, and you are in a group with 20 others. That's why.

Even better, you get loads of social points. My assassin after one night has social V, which is more social then ANY of my other characters.

to many threads about this.. so many tears .. im lucky that im on a boat.. safe from all the asperger tears...

this "practice" brought more peopel together than the WB runs.. lol

i enjoyed it for a short time because i didnt know about it from the start.

dude all i see from you is this.

Hey yellow dudes im gonna do this type of lvling but i want to know if i will get banned.

dont say you feel dirty doing something and ask for a response and THEN say if its ok your gonna do it AGAIN you make yourself look the fool.

make you point plain. BW this is a cool way to lvl can i keep doing it? thanks for your response

I dont seea real benefit from it as I only got an added 49xp as a 36 with bolster PLUS the xp booster but to each their own. Idid this for one pack just to see what the hubbub was about and i dont think its worth the time but thats me

so i just tried this bolster thing on ilum with my lvl 36 sniper.

on stardard mobs in gree area i got 550xp (rested) i then went to quesh and shot up a 37 mob and got 501xp(rested).

so its not THAT much of a big deal at least to me. i wont go make a fresh lvl 1 to see the benefits but i say meh.

the onl thing that pissed me off was having a few lobies gank me while killing a guardian but other than that its no big deal to me

Yes. The XP is scaled and level appropriate - it's NOT inflated. A level 23 isn't getting credit for anything more than he normally would (level appropriate). The only true advantage of Ilum is that you can grind on Mobs without leaving the area. If you were to do this any "traditional" way, you'd need to constantly find a new group on a new planet to grind with. Ilum simply allows for a much more social and casual grind experience - not inflated XP, just very consistent spawns and group appeal. Again, this is a VERY good thing for this game!

I'm not a fan of seeing 'speed-leveling' in this fashion, but if players want to skip the best part of leveling...the story...then, okay.

I only hope this doesn't result in masses of 50s/55s in end game FPs and Operations not knowing what they're doing.

Yes. The XP is scaled and level appropriate - it's NOT inflated. A level 23 isn't getting credit for anything more than he normally would (level appropriate). The only true advantage of Ilum is that you can grind on Mobs without leaving the area. If you were to do this any "traditional" way, you'd need to constantly find a new group on a new planet to grind with. Ilum simply allows for a much more social and casual grind experience - not inflated XP, just very consistent spawns and group appeal. Again, this is a VERY good thing for this game!

An exploit is an exploit and therfore NOT good for the game. Does this fall under the category of an exploit? We don't know yet, and won't know until EA/BW puts out an official statement.

An exploit is an exploit and therfore NOT good for the game. Does this fall under the category of an exploit? We don't know yet, and won't know until EA/BW puts out an official statement.

Normally, I'd agree with you...but this weekend was GREAT for the game imo. Something that encouraged grouping (besides a FP or Heroic), DOES benefit the game. I understand your position, and normally, I'd be with you on something like this...but right or wrong, I feel like this was badly needed in-game.

Normally, I'd agree with you...but this weekend was GREAT for the game imo. Something that encouraged grouping (besides a FP or Heroic), DOES benefit the game. I understand your position, and normally, I'd be with you on something like this...but right or wrong, I feel like this was badly needed in-game.

/Agree.

And as TUXs pointed out in a previous comment on this page... it's not XP inflationary (and therefore not an exploit) for lower levels to be grouped and ganking mobs in Ilum.

Another thing about the double XP weekends, it creates a lot of new characters as people take advantage and level up new characters (often in groups together) and that creates demand for character equipment at a pace faster then normal.... which results in more crafter item demand (sub-50) and more GTN gear demand overall. Hence it is mildly deflationary as it sucks credits out of the game via GTN sale fees. ALSO good for the game overall.